Australia PR Points Calculator 2019- 189, 190 Visa Immigration Test

Australia PR points calculator online 2019. Skilled migration 189, 190, 489 visa need minimum 65 skill select points to apply. English test score required.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  15 Oct, 19

Australia PR Chance of Invite

EOI PointsCurrent Australia PR Invitation time
80 points1-2 months
75 points4-5 months
70 points8-10 months for pro-rata, 4-5 months for non-pro-rata
65 pointsNo realistic chance of Invitation

It is easier to get Australian PR with 80 points based on latest draw. With Masters degree, good English score and work experience in Australia’s skills list, you can get Australia’s residency within a year.

Minimum points to apply for Australia PR SkillSelect 189 (points based) or 190 (State Sponsored Visa) is 65 in 2019-2020.

Australia Permanent Residency Immigration Points table given above shows the points for majority of ANZSCO codes. The chance of invitation varies by each job code and its points.

Australia SkillSelect Points Calculator 2019

Open link in new window.

#1 Age Max Points – 30

AgePoints
18-24 years25
25-32 years30
33-39 years25
40-44 years15

Age is counted as 32 till you are 32 years 11 months and 30 days old. The Age changes to 33 on your 33rd birthday.

#2 English Language Max Points – 20

S = Speaking, L = Listening, R = Reading, W = Writing
EnglishCompetentProficientSuperior
IELTS678
PTE506579
OETCBA
Toefl iBTL-12, R-13, W-21, S-18L-24, R-24, W-27, S-23L-28, R-29, W-30, S-26
CAE169185200
Points01020

The score has to be in all i.e. Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing separately unless otherwise mentioned as in case of Toefl exam.
PTE is easier to score than IELTS. My notes and tips to score 79+ PTE Academic in a week.

#3 Employment Outside Australia Max Points – 15

1-2 years5
3-4 years10
5-7 years15
8-10 years20

#5 Education Max Points – 20

QualificationsPoints
A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).20
A Bachelor (or Masters) degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor (or Masters) qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).15
A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia10
An award or qualification recognized by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.10

Education and Employment has to be verified by Assessment company to claim points. How to file ACS Assessment.

#6 Studied in Australia Max Points – 5

Australian study requirementPoints
At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement5

#7 Niche skills Education Max Points – 5

Specialist education qualificationPoints
A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least two academic years in a relevant field.5

#8 Spouse Skills Points Max Points – 5

To get Spouse skills 5 points added to your SkillSelect Expression of Interest, all of these conditions should be met for our SPOUSE:

1. Age should be less than 45 years.
  2. English Test Score should be at-least the ‘Competent‘ – basic score.
  3. Job Occupation code should be in the same occupation list as primary applicant list.
    Use the calculator given above to calculate spouse skills points.

Spouse points in New Point system starting November 16, 2019

Points
Single (Un-married)10
Spouse is Australian Citizen or PR holder10
Spouse has Positive Skill Assessment and competent English10
Spouse has no Skill Assessment but competent English5
Other Cases0
This will make significant difference to existing EOIs who will gain spouse points in November.

#9 Other Points Max Points – 15

OtherPoints
Accredited in community language (E.g. NAATI test)5
Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement5
Professional year in Australia (E.g. Professional training like ACS PYear program)5
State Nomination (190 visa)5

Employer Sponsorship for Permanent Residence

Employer sponsorship is optional in Australia and you can directly file for permanent residency unlike US, where you need an employer to file for your green card.

If you have the required points, you will be selected and will get a PR even before you travel to Australia.
Applicants with 65+ points get the invitation to apply pretty fast. Once you have applied, you can expect to get the PR within 5-8 months.

189 and 190 PR visa do not have any points for family or employer sponsorship. 489 visa has option of sponsorship but it is not a direct PR.

Australia PR for US based H1B

If you are currently working on H1B in US and fed up with long waiting for green card, Australia PR is a good option. They give you Permanent residency (Australian Green Card) even before you land there for the first time!

You do not get any extra points pr preference just because you have worked in US. The experience is counted at par with other countries.

Please note that even if you move to Australia for work, your Green card application in US can stay active. Remember that Green card in US is filed for future job and your i-140 remains active.

You can return to US in future if your priority date becomes current and the employer is ready to hire you.

Police Clearance Certificate for Australia Permanent Residency

Police verification is required for all adults (18+), who are part of your PR application, from all countries where they have lived in past 10 years.

If you are an Indian, you can apply Indian Police certificate from Indian Embassy if living outside India. You will get PCC from Indian Passport office if residing in India.

If you have lived or are living in USA, you will need  FBI Clearance certificate along with US state police clearance certificate. Remember you will need the US FD-258 fingerprint card for FBI.

Example: If you are currently living in Texas for last 4 months and moved from California, then you would need both state’s Criminal history record along with FBI report.

One of our guest shared his experience of getting PCC from Singapore police.

FAQs

Will Spouse Points Change in Nov 2019 Affect Existing EOI?

Yes, all existing Australia PR EOIs for 189, 190 and 491 visa will be affected and points will be automatically adjusted on Nov 16, 2019.

Will I gain spouse points in Nov 2019?

5 Points: You will gain 5 spouse points if your spouse has competent English score (IELTS 6, 6, 6, 6 or PTE 50 in each).

10 Points: If your spouse has ANZSCO code in same occupation list as you and has positive assessment along with competent English score, you will get 10 points.

10 Points: If you are single and ready to mingle.

10 Points: If you marry an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

0 Points: If your spouse does not fall in any of above cases.

Chance of Invitation After Nov 2019 Changes

You will find it difficult to get an invitation if you cannot claim spouse points after November 2019 as married people with working spouse will automatically get 5 extra points as compared to today.

Single applicants will gain the most by jumping ahead in queue with 10 points immediately and will have much better chance of invite than today.

If your Spouse has functional English today, I recommend to to improve the score and try to get at-least to competent level to fetch 5 points.

Australia

Hi @Suraj

I do not know what EnTC means.

I cannot say if your work experience matches your education simply on the bases of degree names.

Hi @Suraj
    The work experience and education should match to get positive assessment. The match is done based on the subjects you studied.

You should first get the assessment and then we can suggest anything.

Hi @Arif_Ahmed

Have you got the invite?
    What comment are you looking for?

Please ask specific question to help me give any meaningful answer.

4. Ranjith_Krishnan
    Ranjith_Krishnan

HI Anil,

I have got a peculiar situation. Can you please guide me here,.

I have filed my application for 190 on April 22nd and waiting for CO contact/PR grant, but, i am moving out from current organization in UK and taking up an opportunity in UAE. As per UK employment laws there are no experience certificate or relieving letter, so what should i do, will that be an issue while considering my experience.

And should i notify the government on my new movement, or they consider the documents only up to the point when i filed the visa.

Ranjith

The EOI will be automatically updated.

If you want the spouse English points, you may have to update your EOI manually.

I am expecting that online Skillselect system will be modified to allow it.

1. venu sawhney
    venu sawhney 25 Feb, 19 at 9:43 pm

Hi , Mine and mine wife has got ACS Cleared and PTE is also cleared.
    My points are as below.
    Age- 25
    Experience- 15
    Qualification-15
    PTE- Score -10
    Total 65
    Spouse – 5 (Wife cleared ACS and PTE )
    Total 70 Points .
    State sponsor ship – 5

Could you please suggest by when i can expect invite as i applied for code 263111(Computer Network and System engineer) on 12 Feb -2019

You can expect invite in about 6 months for 263111(Computer Network and System engineer) with 70 points.

• venu sawhney
        venu sawhney 26 Feb, 19 at 11:51 pm

HI Anil ,
        Thanks for the response.
        I have 1 more question to ask.

My wife scored overall score 79 in PTE, however the score breakup is as follows.
        S-90, R-79, L-74 w-73..
        To get 20 points from PTE exam, does she need 79+ each or overall score of 79 can get her 20 points.

Age points- 30 (as age is less than 32 years)
        qualification points- 15
        Experience points 5
        Spouse points -5

Looking for your kind response.

Score should be 79+ in each section individually.

2. Maimoon Jaffery
    Maimoon Jaffery 25 Feb, 19 at 11:40 am

Hi, my spouse has 65 points with Developer Programmer — 261312 and I am supporting her with 5 points having assessment done under Engineering Technologist — 233914. Total we have 70 points. Do you think with current situation of backlog she can get ITA with 70 points and within how much time if yes?

Thanks & Regards
    Maimoon

You can expect invite after 7 months of waiting with 70 points in 261312 job code.

3. Muhammad Tayyab
    Muhammad Tayyab 25 Feb, 19 at 6:46 am

i have 75 points eoi and accountant how many time invitation receive? sub class 189

Please share your ANZSCO code.

• Muhammad Tayyab
        Muhammad Tayyab 25 Feb, 19 at 8:53 am

Accountant 2211 code

You need at-least 80 points for 221111 Accountant General at this time to get invite.

• Muhammad Tayyab
            Muhammad Tayyab 25 Feb, 19 at 10:00 am

how i can get 5 points more. professional year i have already done. tips for NAATI TEST

I am not sure if NAATI test can help.

• Muhammad Tayyab
                Muhammad Tayyab 25 Feb, 19 at 8:00 pm

kindly suggest for 5 marks more. what is the fastest way of 5 marks

Check other options to add 5 points using this PR points calculator.

4. Gopal Sundaram
    Gopal Sundaram 25 Feb, 19 at 5:05 am

Have to ask few questions, thanks for the blog where you have clarified many doubts.
    I have 65 points (including 10 of PTE) as of now and applied for visa 190 for NSW and Victoria. I will get 5 points on employment in May 2019 which will make my points to 70 in May 2019. My profile is 26111 – ICT Business Analyst
    I am re-appearing for my PTE soon and aim for 20 points, which could total my points to 75 for 190 and 70 for 189 as of now. Another 5 points in May 2019 will make it 80 for 190 and 75 for 189. My consultant has already filed for the EOI with 65 points as of now so that it gets into the queue.
    I would like to know how are my chances in case I don’t score 20 points in PTE and how bright are the chances if i score 20 in PTE in 10 days time (PTE is scheduled for 04th March 2019)
    ALSO an Important one: When are our EOI points frozen in the process?
    Thanks in advance.

Your EOI gets a new date of effect as and when your points increase. So, if you filed with 65 points earlier and then your points increase to 70 after 2 months, the new date will the date when you achieved 70 points and the earlier date is lost!

So, filing earlier does not really make any difference unless your points are already enough to get a call.

As per current invite trend, the chances of invite with 70 points are low and waiting time could be 8+ months.
      With 75 months for 26111 – ICT Business Analyst, you can expect invite within 2-3 months of waiting.

• Gopal Sundaram
        Gopal Sundaram 25 Feb, 19 at 10:34 am

Thank you very much Anil.

• Gopal Sundaram
        Gopal Sundaram 26 Feb, 19 at 4:34 am

Hello Anil, one more question which I had asked in my comments. When does our eligibility points get frozen? At what stage exactly.

I have clearly answered your question about date getting frozen in my earlier answer. Date is frozen only if you do not update the EOI.
          If you update EOI with extra points, a new date is assigned.
          Please read it again.

• Gopal Sundaram
            Gopal Sundaram 6 Mar, 19 at 11:14 pm

Hi Anil. Hru doing. Thanks for the great help you are doing by clarifying many doubts that are not answered by even some consultants.
            I have another question for you after failing to gain 20 points out of pte.
            My current points status is:
            Education 15
            Work 15 (out of which 5 will be added in May 2019)
            Age 25 (I will turn 40 in Sep 2019)
            Pte 10
            Total: 65 (5 will add up in May 2019)

I need your advice on further process. I have filed for EOI 190 for NSW and Victoria for 26111 Business analyst. Now,
            1. should I wait till May so that my points would be 65+5: state points. Would there be any chance of invite.
            2. should I wait for 489 window to open for Business analyst. In this case my points would be 65+10: 75. Would there be a better chance of invite.
            3. I have appeared pte twice with missing the score of 79 very closely. I am not prepared to appear immediately. So should I retake the test may be in April or May.

In all the above scenarios one point to be considered is my age which would be 40 in September 2019. So I am clueless what will happen, if EOI is already filed will the age points be deducted in September if I don’t get any invite.

I am sorry to write such a lengthy matter but need ur assistance to decide. I am writing to you for second time after my 2nd pte attempt.

Anil Gupta 8 Mar, 19 at 8:31 am

It is your choice if you want to wait or not.
              Do you have any other option than to wait at this time?

• Gopal Sundaram
                Gopal Sundaram 8 Mar, 19 at 11:24 am

Ok thanks Anil. Only worry for me is age which will be 40 in September 2019

Anil Gupta 8 Mar, 19 at 11:36 am

You can’t stop your age. So, it is better to give English PTE test again and try to increase the points.

You can use my PTE notes and they will help you score more.

• Gopal Sundaram
                    Gopal Sundaram 8 Mar, 19 at 11:37 am

Ok Anil. Thank you for your valuable time. I will update you once I go ahead with the process.

• Gopal Sundaram
            Gopal Sundaram 7 Mar, 19 at 11:58 pm

I have another question for you after failing to gain 20 points out of pte.
            My current points status is:
            Education 15
            Work 15 (out of which 5 will be added in May 2019)
            Age 25 (I will turn 40 in Sep 2019)
            Pte 10
            Total: 65 (5 will add up in May 2019)

5. Huang Whu
    Huang Whu 24 Feb, 19 at 11:39 pm

Thank you for keeping all of us up to date.

I applied in 261313 Software engineer with 70 points in 01 Dec 2018.

1) Can you please let me know if I can get an invitation by end of this year?

2) Should I apply for state as well to gain 5 more points?

You can expect invite for 261313 Software engineer with 70 points by Oct 2019.

When you file your Australia EOI for 189, you can select the option of 190 and then selecting the state that you want to consider for 190 visa. Did you select it?

• Huang Whu
        Huang Whu 26 Feb, 19 at 1:37 am

Thanks Anil. I had not selected the option for 190.

• Huang Whu
          Huang Whu 26 Feb, 19 at 1:47 am

I can wait till Oct 2019. I appeared PTE 3 time, could not cross 79 in all 3 sections. So I thought I could wait. You are a big help to community.

6. Didarul Alam Swapon
    Didarul Alam Swapon 24 Feb, 19 at 11:39 pm

Hi Anil Zee,
    I’m a Bangladeshi by born, working in Myanmar as a General Manager since 2014 with a Telecom Service Provider Company.
    DOB: December 10, 1974 (44 Y 02 M and 16 D)
    Education: A Bachelor of Electrical and Electrical Engineering.

May I apply for to Australia?

7. Zara Khan
    Zara Khan 24 Feb, 19 at 10:49 am

I completed masters in SA, Do I need work experience to apply for 189?
    If work experience is required, does professional year experience count?

The breakdown of points are as follows:

Age: 30
    Language: 20
    Australian Education: 5
    Study in Regional Australia: 5
    Professional Year 5
    Qualification: 15

Total 80 for Accountant(General) 221111

Work experience is not mandatory. But, there are extra points for work experience which will certainly increase your total points and chances of faster invite.
      You can an invite within 3-4 months with 80 points in Accountant(General) 221111

8. Srinivas
    Srinivas 24 Feb, 19 at 9:15 am

Hii…Anil,
    I am impressed with your blog and your prompt replies. I am an electrical engineer looking for Australia PR from a couple of years but did not get any concrete path or how to go ahead for it.
    Recently one of my friend suggested that taking IELTS ( i.e. language profeciency ) is the first step of this process. With that input I took IELTS academic recently and I scored less band 6.
    I would like to migrate to Australia as soon as possible.
    Could you suggest me how to prepare further to get PR .

9. Fernedo Tailor
    Fernedo Tailor 24 Feb, 19 at 7:22 am

I recently started researching the PR process to Australia. I find your comments very useful and relevant – Thank you for that.
    I would appreciate your kind support in getting some clarity on my case.
    I plan to apply under Finance Manager (132211) under 190 visa class (STOSL). As per my knowledge, 189 Visa category is not available for FM. My questions are:
    – If i get 70 points, what are my chances and when I can expect an invite?
    – My wife has 6 years experience in Life Science Technician profile (311413). This is also available under STSOL and 190 visa class. Will I get 5 points for her experience?
    – Will NAATI certification provide 5 more points for the 190 visa sub-class?
    – Am I entitle to claim 5 points for state or territory government sponsorship?
    Looking forward to your kind feedback.
    Thank you in advance.

You can expect invite within 2-3 months with 70 points for Finance Manager (132211).

You can check if your wife qualifies for spouse points here. Wife’s ANZSCO code in same list is just one of the criteria.

I am not sure if NAATI will help you get 5 points. I have not heard of it before.

State points are ONLY awarded if state invites you.

• Fernedo Tailor
        Fernedo Tailor 24 Feb, 19 at 11:51 pm

Many thanks Anil – much appreciated your prompt response.

• Fernedo Tailor
        Fernedo Tailor 25 Feb, 19 at 1:36 pm

A few more questions from my end..
        – Does the skilled occupation list get updated annually? If so, when can we expect the updated list to be released?
        – Is there any chance for the Finance Manager (132211) minimum points to differ from the current status of 70 points?
        – In order to claim the spouse points, does my wife need to have a minimum number of years of experience?
        – Could there be an instance, where I obtain 70 points, without the 5 points awarded by the territory government sponsorship and I still do not receive an invite?

Thank you very much for supporting us with your valuable expertise.

Skilled Occupation list can be updated any time by Australia Government. It is usually updated every year in July.

I am not sure if the points will reduce in future. It all varies based on how many applications are filed for a specific job code.

There is no minimum number of work experience required for claiming spouse points.

Everything is possible. There are a limited number of invites that are sent out every month based on yearly quota. You may receive an invite after a long wait too.

• Fernedo Tailor
            Fernedo Tailor 26 Feb, 19 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Anil for your advice.
            Just one more question. My wife has followed the Edexcel curriculum (UK) for her secondary education. Is it mandatory for her to sit for the IELTS examination to claim the spouse points.

10. Viswas
    Viswas 24 Feb, 19 at 12:59 am

I have applied ACS for the code 261313 – Software Engineer.

Currently I am standing at 65 points with PTE score of 10.
    If I consider spouse points. i would be at 65+5 = 70
    If I go for state sponsorship (VIC). i would get 70+5 = 75
    By August, i will complete 1 year Australia experience and will be at 75+5 = 80

Could you please suggest the way forward. Should I go ahead with 75 or is it worth waiting till august to secure additional 5 points ?

What do you mean you consider spouse points? You can only claim spouse points if your spouse is eligible.
      State sponsorship is also not your choice. If state invites you to apply, then only you can claim state’s 5 points.

You are still at 65 points if you can’t claim these points.
      and with 65 points, there is no chance of invite for 261313 – Software Engineer

• viswas Reddy
        viswas Reddy 25 Feb, 19 at 4:41 am

Considering spouse points ! i meant, my wife is eligible for the job code which is available in the list and cleared English exam.

If your spouse is eligible, claim those points to increase your total and you will have better chances of invite.