Trump has made it mandatory to have health insurance to enter US using immigrant visa.
You are required to show proof to consular officer at US embassy of having a valid health insurance from your employer or have sufficient money to support medical costs. You may be allowed conditional entry to US if you can buy health coverage within 30 days of entering.
Medicaid health coverage is NOT allowed and you can be denied entry if you only have medicaid and are entering USA on a visa.
Do H1B, H4, B1, B2 Visitors Need Proof of Insurance?
Non-immigrant visas like H1B, H4, L1, L2, B1 and B2 visas are not affected by Trump’s Health Insurance rule. But, please note that your health insurance coverage will be checked when you file your i485 green card application under the new public charge rule.
The proclamation is only for immigrant visa applicants who are entering US on Green card.
President Trump’s order claims to suspend the entry of immigrants who will financially burden the United States healthcare system. The action is aimed at setting the air for next election.
Acceptable Health Insurance Plans
- Employer provided plan, including a retiree plan, association health plan, and coverage provided by the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985
- An un-subsidized health plan offered in the individual market within a State;
- A short-term limited duration health policy (like visitor insurance plan) effective for a minimum of 364 days or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States
- A catastrophic plan
- Family member’s plan
- A medical plan under chapter 55 of title 10, United States Code, including coverage under the TRICARE program
- A medical plan under the Medicare program; or
- Any other health plan that provides adequate coverage for medical care as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services or his designee.
How to Prove Health Insurance or Sufficient Money
Trump’s proclamation order talks about foreseeable medical expenses but have not defined anything in financial terms.
There is no mention of how much money is required to be shown in your bank account to satisfy consular officer. As per our rough estimate, you should show at-least USD $5,000 in the absence of any concrete requirement.
There is no new health declaration form that has been introduced at this time. We will share more information as we hear it.
Existing Green Card Holders Not Affected
Exiting US green card holders are not affected. People who get their immigrant visa or green card before Nov 3, 2019 will not be affected by this health insurance required either.
Is Affordable Care Act Accepted?
ACA insurance plans are not allowed to prove your health insurance coverage as they are subsidized by federal government. Your entry to US will be denied or your immigrant visa can be denied.
Source: Whitehouse Announcement