You are not alone. IRS has created a ‘get my payment’ page where you can enter your SSN number and the residential address to know how much you can expect.
IRS is sending the payment in batches and many people are anxious to know when they will get their direct deposit.
If you see the message “Payment Status not available“, it simply means that IRS may have not processed your tax return for Stimulus payments yet.
IRS had told earlier that payments would be available until the end of 2020 and no need to panic even if your check is delayed. We will update here if we hear any new information with respect to claiming payment later in the year.
This article will discuss:
How to Use Get my Payment Page?
You can visit the IRS get my payment information page to check your amount.
- Click the blue-button ‘Get My Payment‘ on the IRS page. This will take you to the ‘wait’ page.
- Once ‘wait’ is over, you will be shown a government site notice. Click ‘OK’.
- Now, you will see this page to enter your information from your 2019 tax return if filed OR 2018 tax return if 2019 has not been filed yet.
Be sure to enter the correct information in the first attempt as the page does not allow you to re-try for the next 24 hours for the same SSN. IRS has probably blocked retries to avoid extra load on the server and keep spammers away.
- Your SSN number – use primary tax filer’s Social security number. Do not enter ITIN.
- Your Date of Birth – DOB of person who’s SSN you have used in MM/DD/YYYY format
- Your Residence Street Address – Enter your Street Address in “123 Main St NW #7” format. Do not enter City/Town or State. Try to enter the address exactly the way it appears in your tax return.
- Zip Code – 5 digit zip code is enough.
H1B are considered resident aliens for the purpose of tax filing in the US and are receiving stimulus payments.
Payment Status Messages
#1 Payment Status not Available
This message is shown if the IRS has not processed your tax return yet. In most cases, this is happening if you have not filed your 2018 or 2019 tax return or have filed a 2019 return recently.
We have also observed that people who did not receive a refund in their last tax return or who owed taxes are seeing this message. Some people with primary SSN but Spouse ITIN or Child ITIN on their tax return have also reported having got this message.
IRS’s official FAQ page says that message “Payment status not available” means:
- You are not eligible for payment OR
- You are required to file a tax return and have not filed in the tax year 2018 or 2019 OR
- You recently filed your tax return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
- If you are an SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient – the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment; your information is not available in this app yet.
Your turn will come. Just have patience.
#2 Eligible but Payment not sent to Bank Yet
If your payment has not been processed yet, then you can expect to see a message that says “you are eligible for the payment“:
This message means that you are eligible, but payment has not been sent and the payment date is not available yet.
IRS updates this page once every 24 hours and hence, you should check back again later to see if they have processed your check.
#3 Payment Scheduled
IRS will update this same page once they have sent your payment to the bank with an exact date and your bank account number.
If you are excited to know how much money you are eligible for, you can check your amount here.
#4 Need More Information
This message means that you are eligible for a payment, but the IRS does not have your direct deposit bank information. You will see the page to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity.
In this specific example, one of our users shared that his 2018 tax return had H1B (SSN) + H4 (SSN) + Child (ITIN) and was showing ‘Payment status not available’ until 24 Apr. On Apr 25, the status changed to ‘Eligible’, and the IRS asked for bank information. So, do not lose hope.
IRS is processing tax returns in batches and a batch is run every 24 hours. If your status was showing ‘Payment status not available’ yesterday, check it again today and you might see the updated status.
#5 Locked Out for 24 Hours
If you see the locked out for 24 hours message, this means that the information you entered does not match IRS records. Check your 2018 or 2019 tax return and enter the correct information.
IRS Taking Time To Load?
The IRS ‘get my payment’ page takes about 3-4 minutes to load due to high demand. Do not worry about internet speed. The page is restricted by IRS on its server.
IRS Page Notice
Do not worry about this US government notice that you would see after going on the IRS payment page. Just click OK to go to the next screen.
This notice is just for your information that you are entering a US government website and any unauthorized access is not allowed. Information about computers like IP address and location is saved and monitored by IRS if you use the ‘Get my Payment’ page after clicking OK here.