Reissue or Renewal of Indian Minor Passport in USA is pretty similar to the one for adults.
Step by step guidance for re-issue of child passport with Cox and Kings (CKGS) in the jurisdiction of Indian embassy New York, Houston (Texas), Washington DC, Atlanta (Georgia), Chicago (Illinois) and SFO (San Francisco, California) Indian consulate.
The child is issued his/her own passport for 5 years and needs to be re-issued before its expiry.
1. Documents required for Renew Indian Minor Passport – USA
1.A Original Documents
- Child’s Expiring Passport (Most recent ONLY). All other OLD passports, if any, are not required.
- 2×2 Inch photographs (White background, off-white is NOT allowed) – Total 3 in number.
Get new pictures clicked as you need fresh ones clicked within last 30 days.
Details of bad and good photographs here.
1.B. FORMS – CKGS online will fill them for you
- Nationality Status form
- Document checklist
- NRI passport renewal application form
- Affidavit for change in Appearance
- Annexure ‘D’- Affidavit of applicant parents for passport for Minor Child
- Annexure ‘E’- Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper
1.C. PHOTOCOPY- Black and White or color – Your choice
- U.S.A. Address proof – Any utility bill (Electricity/gas) or driving license or Rental lease agreement or home mortgage bill. This can be on any one of the parent’s name.
- Indian Address Proof – Aadhar Card OR Recent Bank Statement from Government bank like SBI, PNB (Should have affixed photograph) OR Drivers license OR Utility bill not older than 3 months. This can be on any one of the parent’s name.
- Child’s Birth Certificate – Should be in English.
- CHILD’s – First 5 pages of passport + last 2 pages.
First page with Photo, then page numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
The last two pages are supposed to include the ‘Observation’ page and I found two of them here as well. So, Included these two along with the page containing my address.
Page number 34, 35, 36 and last page with address.
This makes the total number of pages to be 10.
- CHILD’s – Current Valid US Visa OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice.
- Mother’s – Current Valid US Visa OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice.
- Mother’s – Passport first (Photo) page and last page (address page).
- Father’s – Current Valid US Visa OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice.
- Father’s – Passport first (Photo) page and last page (address) page.
Please note that US Visa – B1/B2 is not considered a valid visa for passport reissue.
2. Start CKGS Online application
Start your new application here on CKGS website. Sample information to help you:
All the forms except the NRI application form are automatically filled up by CKGS online application. You just need select appropriate options. They will be available for download, print and signing/notarization.
3. Postal Envelopes, payment and shipping
We recommend that you choose CKGS’s shipping option to avoid any issues. They have collaborated with UPS and FedEx and both cost the same i.e. $15 each way. So, your total cost would be $30.
If you decide to choose your own shipping, you probably would not have many options. Remember that CKGS does not allow USPS as the option. If you choose USPS for shipping yourself, you will face issues while they try to ship the package back to you later.
Once you have selected the option, you can simply visit UPS/FedEx office, pick up the envelope and just send your package. There is no need to send return envelope, it will be taken care off by CKGS.
Payment is accepted only by online mode. Once you are at step 5, you will be asked to pay.
Please note your application’s web reference here before clicking the ‘Pay Online’ button.
4. Indian Government’s NRI passport Application form
At step 6 in CKGS application, you need to fill Indian passport renewal USA application form. This is a separate form than what you have already filled up on CKGS website. It belongs to Indian embassy and has to be filled up separately.
CKGS creates a unique ID for this application form and provides you a link on Step 6. Click the link to go to Indian government’s website.
If you fill the government’s form before CKGS step 6, then CKGS has a separate process and a tough one, for you. You will find it on their home page. We are assuming you started with CKGS.
4.A. Digital Picture upload – Optional
You will need a DIGITAL picture to upload on Indian government website. The picture uploading is optional at this time. It does NOT give you an option to upload it later if you have moved past the upload photo step.
4.B. Made a Mistake in Online Passport Application Form?
DO NOT try to fill out another “Online Passport Application Form” if you make a mistake since both CKGS and Online Passport Application Web Reference numbers are linked together. Instead, start all over again and follow the process (CKGS >>>Online Passport Application>>>CKGS) if you have not yet paid the fees.
If you have already paid the fees and made a serious mistake while filling out the Online Passport Application (which cannot be edited) then the only option is to cancel your application and ask for a refund and RESTART the entire process.
4.C. NRI application form Links
Government form online link – New Form – Direct link for your reference. We recommend you use the one provided in Step 6 of CKGS application.
Government form online link – Edit your form – Use it, if you are re-visiting to complete partially filled form. You need your Temporary Application Id here (This is different than CKGS’s own application web reference ID).
Print your application form, if you have ‘saved and exit’ the application. – Government site’s Web file number required. This is shown to you on LAST page when you are done filling the form. This is different than ‘Temporary application ID’ and ‘CKGS web application reference’ ID.
4.D. Sample NRI online passport form
Use a BLUE or BLACK ink pen ONLY.
Please note that this form contains about 29 fields/points and points 7 to 29 need to be filled manually with hand.
Fill whatever questions/fields are available to fill online on the form and then take a print.
Once you take a print, you will get 3 pages in total. Some of the fields (normally 1-6 on page 1) would be already filled and rest would be blank.
4.E. Passport File Number is longer than 12 digits?
There is a chance that your existing passport’s FILE NUMBER is longer than 12 digits. The government online passport form ONLY allows 12 digits to be entered. In that case, enter the LAST 12 digits of your file number.
This is an official response from CKGS to answer this question:
5. Other CKGS Passport forms
Now, download and print these forms from CGKS online application (they are pre-filled for you):
- National Verification Form
- Affidavit for Change in Appearance
- Annexure ‘D’ – Affidavit of applicant parents for passport for Minor Child
- Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper
These are all pre-filled forms based on the information that you have provided to CKGS in your online application.
6. Self Attestation and Notarize
If Child > 5 years, should write his/her name them-self.
If your child is less than 5 years, he/she should use his/her thumb print.
Both parent and child need to self-attest.
Each parent should self-attest their OWN document. Get your child to sign all documents too.
Mother should sign her OWN and Father his own. Mother CANNOT sign father’s document and vice versa.
For general document (like forms), any one parent can sign.
- CHILD’s – Passport copies of First five and last two pages
- CHILD’s – Birth Certificate
- US Address proof – Utility bill or driving license or rental lease agreement on any one of parent’s name.
- Indian Address proof – Utility bill or driving license or rental lease agreement on any one of parent’s name.
- Mother’s – Color copy of passport pages that you have photocopied.
- Father’s – Color copy of passport pages that you have photocopied.
- Mother’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- Father’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- ANNEXURE ‘D’ – Affidavit for Applying Minor passport by parents
- Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper
- CHILD’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- Affidavit for Change in Appearance.
- Page 3 of Passport Application Form – Specifically the Q 28’s answer needs to be notarized.
Why not? Well, your town’s library or your Bank (most famous is Bank of America) and your own office (Almost all have notaries on their payroll) are the FREE options that I know and have utilized.
The paid ones (like USPS and others) should cost you around $5+ per page. So, to make it economical, use the free ones.
7. Final Checklist – The documents to package together
- Arrange the documents in the order as mentioned in CKGS document checklist. The checklist should be on top.
- Now, use a small letter style envelope to keep the passport. This is just to have an extra layer of protection. You can skip the envelope if you want.
- Original Passport (Remember – it has to be the most recent one that is about to expire or the most recent if it has already expired).
- Use paper clip or paper pins to tie all the above documents together. Do NOT use stapler.
How to log back into CKGS website with Web reference number?
CKGS website might confuse you on this point, if you have already started the passport application and saved it. The only way to go back and see your saved documents is to use their web reference number on the box provided at the BOTTOM of the their website.
Here is the sample screen shot:
Indian passport renewal in USA processing time? or how long does it take to renew Indian passport in USA?
It ranges from 1-4 weeks.
If last passport was issued by Indian Embassy, the new passport is issued within 1 week.
If last passport was issued in India, the new passport is issued within 3-4 weeks.
Which color pen should be used to fill the forms?
You can use BLUE or BLACK. I used BLUE. No other color option is available.
In the National verification form, the date of leaving India is the first time of leaving India or last ( or most recent)?
It is a pretty vague question. I entered my most RECENT date of leaving India. It does not matter much though. You can even mention the date you came to USA for the first time.
How many photographs are needed in total?
Number of photos for Indian passport renewal of MINOR in US is total 3 in number.
If you want your Indian Address to be Printed in the Renewed Passport, what proof is required? Isn’t the Original Passport enough? I don’t have other Address Proof other than my Passport for my Indian Address.
As per the instructions, you should provide your Indian address proof if you want that address to be printed on new passport.
Eligible documents: Aadhar Card OR Recent Bank Statement from Government bank like SBI, PNB (Should have affixed photograph) OR Drivers license OR Utility bill not older than 3 months.
A bit economical option would be ePassportPhoto. At the time of writing this article, they had the option of free delivery with just $1.5 per picture.
Most people use either CostCo or Sam’s club membership to get the passport photo economically. They charge approximately $4.96 for 2 of them.