Current H1B Processing Time 2019 – 3 months to 1 year

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  23 May, 19
  2k

H1B processing time - Updated Daily
H1B processing time - Updated Daily

H1B regular application is taking 2.5 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus

H1B transferLIN19138***** / 21 Apr, 19
1 month 2 days
12 Jan, 19
4 month 11 days
Updated: 18:33 CST Next Update: 21:33 CST

H1B Approval Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Filed in April – Lottery Result

The new H1B 2020 season applications will start processing in May 2019. You should look at the ‘H1B New‘ application processing time for new Lottery selected applications.

If your petition is selected and you filed in regular, your employer will get receipt notice by April end.

Premium processing cases that are selected in lottery will get email on attorney email address about selection immediately with a receipt number. Premium processing fees will be refunded for un-selected cases.

H1B April 2019 lottery Premium processing cases will get H1B approval by June 4th.

If you did not file in premium processing and receive a receipt notice, your employer can upgrade to premium processing on or after May 20th as long as your petition requested a change of status.

H1B Grace Period – 60 days

If you lose your job, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

1. mura_bee
    mura_bee

Question for you, I am waitin for my H1B transfer (regular processing) to a new employer.

Paperwork was submitted during mid Jan 2019 to California center. I received a receipt number for the case.
    My case was issued a RFE on Feb 25th. RFE response was mailed back to the administration in second week of April 2019, without Premium processing.

would you be able to advise on the timeline?

Thank you.

Hi @Lavanya_Kumari
    You can expect your H1B approval by July 2019 first week end.

Hi @vg100
    It is taking about 4-30 days to get H1B receipt if filed in regular processing.

Premium processing gets receipt number within 1 day.

4. vg100
    vg100

Got it! Thanks @Anil.Gupta!

Hi @cpn
    You should raise a USCIS service request to know the status of your case.

2,090 Useful Questions & Answers

1. snyder
    snyder 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

My new H1B COS is still pending, is it possible to file a H1B transfer at the same time if I want to change job?

Thank you!

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

What is your current status and what’s your i94 expiry?

• snyder
        snyder 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

current status is L1 and i94 expire in 2 years

Is this H1 COS application filed as Cap-subject new H1B application or you are trying to re-applying your old H1B?

• snyder
            snyder 9 Feb, 19 at 10:43 am

it’s new cap-subject application

No, you cannot apply for H1B traTrans unless the first Cap-subject H1B is approved.

• snyder
              snyder 11 Feb, 19 at 8:13 am

Got it. Thank you

2. disqus_8ipsuSKncV
    disqus_8ipsuSKncV 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hi @SoanT:disqus,

My H-1B CAP was received by the California Service Center on April 21, 2018. I haven’t received an RFE yet and the petition is still pending. Do you think, a RFE can still be sent now? When do you think the case would be approved. I am a direct employee.

Current visa status – F-1 OPT

Thank you!

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

Yes, RFE can be sent anytime before the approval.
      I estimate your result by March end.

• disqus_8ipsuSKncV
        disqus_8ipsuSKncV 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Thanks @SoanT:disqus , would you recommend traveling to India on F-1 OPT EAD card to India in the last week of January 2019?

Thank you!

It depends on how your H1B has been filed.
          Assuming you have opted for ‘change of status’ with H1B application, the COS option will be abandoned as soon as you leave US.

This means that if your H1B is approved later, you will have to go out of US again to get H1B stamping and re-enter USA.

• disqus_8ipsuSKncV
            disqus_8ipsuSKncV 9 Feb, 19 at 10:43 am

Thanks @SoanT:disqus for your prompt responses. Yes my H-1B was applied under COS. If I do travel on my EAD card this month, once my H-1B is approved, do I have to leave the country immediately for consular stamping?

If you enter US F1 status, then yes, to start using H1B (after its approved), you will have to go out, get the H1B visa stamp and re-enter using H1B visa to start working using your H1B.

Since COS will be abandoned, your status from F1 to H1B will NOT change automatically.

3. Raj
    Raj 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

My receipt date is April 12 with California center.dhs receipt date is 5may. There is no update.It says ‘your case was received’…when can I expect the result…it’s been so long now.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

I can understand the frustration of waiting. But California is highly backlogged.
      You might receive result in another 3 months.

4. @P
    @P 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

My case is filed as non cap on Oct 31st. Please let me know by when I should expect the decision?

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

Which service center is it?

• @P
        @P 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

WAC

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

I estimate your case to reach result sometime in Aug 2019 or earlier.

5. Saimukunth
    Saimukunth 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

One of my friends who has a receipt number of ‘WAC181***0964’ has got approval today for 1 year till October 2019. The service center is California. The employer has told him they’ll be doing a extension, and how does extension work? Is it safe to go to US, and apply for extension and wait for a response because of the 240 day rule? Also, his receipt number is just two behind my receipt ‘WAC181***0962’. So, whether I can expect results earlier than expected. Kindly clarify. Thanks!

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

H1B extension is a normal process and everybody goes through it.

240 day rule is also an official rule which comes into picture if i94 has expired and extension is pending with USCIS. This is perfectly safe and is legal way.

Yes, the chances are high that your H1B would also reach result soon.

• Saimukunth
        Saimukunth 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Anil! 🙂

You are welcome and all the best for your case. Let me know if you need more information.

• Saimukunth
            Saimukunth 9 Feb, 19 at 10:43 am

Yes, do we have to apply for an extension 6 months prior to H1B expiry ?, because even after stamping, traveling is definitely going to take time, minimum May. So, traveling within 5 months of Visa expiry is ok? That was his primary concern because if the extension gets delayed/rejected, he’ll have to fly back again? Thanks! 🙂

Applying extension before 6 months of expiry is recommended as the current processing times are more than 7 months at some USCIS service centers in regular processing. It is not mandatory though. Some people are brave enough to apply just before the last day of expiry too!!

Travelling with 5 months of visa expiry is perfectly fine. I have seen people travelling with less than 1 month of visa expiry too. After entering USA, they immediately file for extension.
              So, there is no need to worry.

All of this is part and parcel of H1B visa. You will be used to it once you are in USA.

• Saimukunth
              Saimukunth 10 Feb, 19 at 12:33 pm

Thanks again for answering my question, Anil! 🙂

6. varaprasad
    varaprasad 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hi Anil – My transfer to the new employer in progress. Receipt date is showing as Nov 30th to Vermont center. May i know when can i expect the result. Also estimated time above changing daily . Yesterday it was 5 months 20 days and today it is showing 6 + months . Does this mean some of applications are moving to Vermont from California ?

Also, does the government shut down affecting the USCIS ?

• Nevergiveup
      Nevergiveup 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

I’m in the same boat. H1B Transfer – Vermont – Oct 26th Receipt date (Awaiting status)

Ya..i know, the processing times are just increasing everyday due to the USCIS police changes are short H1B approvals based on project SOW.
        People are forced to apply extensions again and again and that’s increasing the wait time for others.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

I estimate that you should expect result by April second week or earlier.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

If you see the change in the ‘Raise SR’ date going back or forward, then it is the official USCIS date that has moved forward or back. They change it every day based on how many cases they have processed and how many are pending.

The ‘Best case approval’ date is what am22’s service tries to find by gathering data from various forums and the case data status that people share above using ‘Add and compare my case’.

The changing of dates do not necessarily mean the transfer of cases.

Government shutdown does NOT affect USCIS. I have covered it in detail here:

7. H1b extension
    H1b extension 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hi,

I have applied for h1b extension via regular processing on sep 29th.service center is nebraska. Approximately when can i expect the result?kindly let me know.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

I estimate that you should get result by Feb second week or earlier.

• RK
        RK 9 Feb, 19 at 10:02 am

Whats your basis/logic for the dates (Feb 2nd week). Are you validating it against some full proof data or just a guestimate? I see a few folks got approvals for 09/21 today (01/10/2019).

I am estimating based on average processing time and other factors like premium processing availability and current approved cases.
          My estimate can be wrong too.

8. hello
    hello 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hi,

Does process time vary for service company and direct ?

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

No, processing times do not vary by type of company you work for.

9. Nevergiveup
    Nevergiveup 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hi Anil, sorry if you have already answered this. My wife H4 status shows approved in new USCIS site but mine H1B still in “Received state”.

I believe H4 gets approved only when H1B is approved. please let me know if my understanding is correct so that I can proceed to put donw my papers as this was a TRANSFER case.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

This is generally true. H1B should be approved.
      But, I would still recommend to WAIT for approval on H1B as well.

I have seen cases where H1B approval is delayed or gets RFE even though H4 is approved. USCIS works in a weird way and it is better to wait.

• Nevergiveup
        Nevergiveup 9 Feb, 19 at 10:02 am

Thank you Anil!

10. Shwetha sunder
    Shwetha sunder 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Can you please explain to me the logic behind
    the different series? Are the lower series supposed to receive approvals faster than the higher series? Does it have to do with the receipt date? My receipt date is May 8th as per the DHS website and April 2 as per USCIS sure and my series is WAC181645, I see that the lower series number receive approval sooner, having said that the series after mine are also processed.. I am using various websites such as worktheme and H1bstat ru to analyze the data.

If you know the logic can you please explain.

Shwetha

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

The series does not really tell which type of application it is. So, it will never show you the real picture.