Current H1B Processing Time 2020, 3 month – 1 yr Regular

Updated  6 Jan, 20
  1k

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month
H1B transferLIN20031***** Receipt: 14 Nov, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
18 Aug, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month

H1B Regular Vs Premium

H1B Premium processing costs $1410 and you can get approval within 1-15 days. USCIS will refund the premium fees if they cannot process it in 15 calendar days including weekends. Regular H1B application takes more than 3 months to get approval.

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial. The possibility of H1B approval are same in regular vs premium application.

If your employer is scaring you by saying that upgrading pending H1B to premium will result in denial or RFE, they are just trying to save money. This is a rumor and there is no need to believe it.

H1B Denial Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Steps After H1B Lottery

Check out our 7 steps for getting H1B and starting working on Oct 1 with H1B. If you have filed H1B in regular processing, we suggest to upgrade to premium processing so that you can get approval before October and can start working on Oct 1.

You will make more money by starting work earlier than saving Premium processing fees of $1410.7 steps to H1B lottery process, Approval, RFE and Denials

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Lay off Grace Period

If you lose your H1B job or have left it by choice, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B Regular Vs Premium

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

USA USCIS Processing Time

1,060 Useful Questions & Answers

1. Venkatesh Veluguri
    Venkatesh Veluguri 21 Feb, 19 at 12:47 pm

Can we convert a petition to Premium while responding to RFE?

Yes, you can upgrade your h1B application to premium (if available) anytime including at RFE response.

• Venkatesh Veluguri
        Venkatesh Veluguri 21 Feb, 19 at 3:38 pm

2.  Nikita
    Nikita 21 Feb, 19 at 10:43 am

Hi Anil, I have a question. My husband’s H1b extention was filed in CSC on 27th April 2018. Our case was transferred to Vermont on 18th January 2019. We got an RFE on 7th feb 2019. We are going to respond for RFE today. When can we expect result? Or should we convert into premium processing. What should we put in reason for conversion as our 240 days are going to end in May 2019.

There is no specific reason required for premium processing upgrade. If your H1B application is eligible for premium, you can upgrade it anytime.

3. PREMKUMAR RAMALINGAM
    PREMKUMAR RAMALINGAM 20 Feb, 19 at 5:26 pm

Hi, I Have Question! Need your help!

I came to US on 12/17/2016 on H1B VISA and my Port of Entry is (Charlotte, NC) before I land US my company filed Amendment from India on 11/28/2016 for the client which i am going to work in South Carolina.
    I got i-94 (Official Website) till 07/04/2017. Since the amendment didn’t came till Apr 2017, My Company filed H1B Visa Extension on 5/17/2017.
    I received i-797B (for the Amendment Applied from India) Valid from 03/08/2017 to 11/03/2019. After that
    I received i-797A (for Visa Extension) Valid from 07/05/2017 to 07/04/2018.
    Now, I moved to different client and new Amendment filed for new Client & location on 03/15/2018 and I received RFE on 11/28/2019 and my Reply Date is 02/25/2019.

Now, Here are my Questions
    1. Does the 240 Days after applying my amendment will apply?
    2. If 240 Days apply, What will be my i-94 End Date? 07/04/2017 or 07/04/2018 or 11/03/2019?
    3. if i-94 End Dates is 07/04/2017 then I would have passed 595 Days
    if i-94 End Dates is 07/04/2018 then I would have passed 230 Days and I have 10 days left to be in US.
    What would be my Current Legal Status? and what should I do now?
    4. Do I need to file the RFE with Premium Process?
    Please advice!

You can keep working after 240 days as your H1B application is Amendment + Extension.

You i94 end date is the one written on PAPER i94 attached to your most recent H1B i797 approval which in your case is your H1B extension (Valid from 07/05/2017 to 07/04/2018).

Your current status while you are waiting for H1B application result after i94 expiry is “Period of Authorized stay“.

I always recommend to file H1B application in premium if its available. It is your choice if you want to upgrade your current pending application to premium processing or not.

• PREMKUMAR RAMALINGAM
        PREMKUMAR RAMALINGAM 22 Feb, 19 at 1:22 pm

Thank you very much for the Information Anil. Really appreciate your Free Service.

4. anjali
    anjali 20 Feb, 19 at 1:37 pm

I’m working as a contractor for a company. Recently they (Client) offered me Full-time and are also willing to initiate Premium. My H1b is valid until 2020
    Do you think Premium will be open anytime soon for new H1 Transfers?
    Also what is the risk if i join them on receipt?

5. srini
    srini 20 Feb, 19 at 9:41 am

Anil, My H1B transfer was filed at CSC, normal process,on 11th Sep 2018, then on 9th Jan 2019 it was transferred to Nebraska. May I expect the approval this week? Do you want me to wait for a week before upgrade to premium?

You should upgrade to H1B premium processing now if you want to. There is no use of waiting.
      In regular processing, you may receive result tomorrow or may not receive in next 2 months.

If you have the budget, always upgrade to premium and get result faster.

• srini
        srini 20 Feb, 19 at 3:10 pm

Anil, thanks for the suggestion, requested my attorney to upgrade.

Great. Do share the result whenever you get it.

• srini
            srini 21 Feb, 19 at 11:45 am

Sure, thanks

6. SES
    SES 20 Feb, 19 at 6:44 am

Hi Anil

My h1 extn is converted from nomal to pemium in vermont center and it shows case received but i filed my concurrent i539 dependents application with this at the time of normal and premium…but still there is no status update for i539..should i need to take some action to get my i539 approved with my i129..please advice

When was your H1B application upgraded from normal to premium?
      There is no premium processing available for i539 application for H4 dependents. Only H1B can be upgraded to premium.

• SES
        SES 20 Feb, 19 at 7:30 am

My h1b application was upgraded to premium today and i see the receipt updated onlune today.but my dependentd receipt number is not changed will my dependents petetion will also be adjudicated with mine concurrently

There is no guarantee that your dependent’s application will be processed along with your H1B in premium. It may or may not be approved within same time as your H1B.

7. Narendar Reddy
    Narendar Reddy 20 Feb, 19 at 3:47 am

I have got RFE and decided to go with premium. What is rate of success at California service center ?
    My Education background is Electronics and Communications(ECE), Could this cause any problem to my petition ?

Thanks in Advance.

The H1B RFE approval success rate depends on what documents have been requested in RFE. It is good that you upgraded to H1B premium processing to get result faster.

Can you share what RFE documents are requested by USCIS?

• Narendar Reddy
        Narendar Reddy 20 Feb, 19 at 6:59 am

Thanks Anil,

I will share the RFE documents soon,

My Education background is Electronics and Communications(ECE), Could this cause any problem to my petition (not asked in RFE)?

I cannot really say what is the problem area unless I know what has been requested in RFE.

You are asking me to just make a wild guess which will is of no use.

• Narendar Reddy
            Narendar Reddy 11 Mar, 19 at 12:42 am

My employer doesn’t want to disclose the RFE reason,However they asked me to share the Education and Experience documents to get the “Evaluation”.

8. Tej
    Tej 19 Feb, 19 at 10:22 pm

Vermont – H1B transfer shows 0days, is that based on premium processing recently opened or regular is applications are processing faster?

Bad record. Fixed it. It will take some time to show up due to page caching.
      The record’s actual receipt date is probably Jan 9, 2019 and it is H1B transfer application.

• Tj
        Tj 19 Feb, 19 at 10:37 pm

For a moment I thought I will be seeing my approval by tomorrow. Transfer filed on Jan-24 waiting for approval. This is great work, helping to get some idea on processing times. Thanks!

I think you will get approval by Feb 2019 end or March 2019 at max. Vermont is clearing applications pretty fast if they have been filed directly at their center.

• Ashok
            Ashok 20 Feb, 19 at 7:34 pm

what is the Vermont H1 Transfer current processing date (Mode Regular)?

Vermont’s current H1B processing times are mentioned here if you can see it.

• Ashok
                Ashok 20 Feb, 19 at 9:19 pm

Date reflects for today/02/20 is it correct? are they approving on same day?

Somebody is adding wrong data everyday. We will fix it.

9. Smilz Alwaz
    Smilz Alwaz 19 Feb, 19 at 4:03 pm

Just want to confirm whether premium processing opened now?

10. Ramesh Prk
    Ramesh Prk 19 Feb, 19 at 8:59 am

My case was filed on July 6 2018 as non subject cap from india in California service center . there is no update so for . I guess my case was transferred to another center on Jan 14 2019 , but they did not update in USCIS portal (but i received notification to my gmail that last action took on your case was on Jan 14th 2019 so i am guessing its been transferred) . any idea about time frame for non subject cap petitions ?

I cannot estimate your processing time if you do not know where your application is currently pending at.
      Ask your employer to check if they received any letter from USCIS to inform about case transfer to other USCIS service center.

• Ramesh Prk
        Ramesh Prk 19 Feb, 19 at 9:13 am

most of Jan 14 2019 transfers went to VSC . NSC will not process non subject to cap petitions right ?

Assuming your case went to VSC, you can expect your H1B approval by May 2019 end.

• Ramesh Prk
            Ramesh Prk 19 Feb, 19 at 9:20 am

i am seeing below one of the post “My non cap filed on 15th march 2018 in California no updates till now” . they did not process march non cap petition at all . i am thinking now 🙁

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
              V SHREEKRISHNAN 19 Feb, 19 at 11:28 am

Hi Ramesh,
              I am the one with non cap filed in March at CSC with no updates so far. Though I have signed up for email notifications , I have never received any email from USCIS reg my petition. Since you have mentioned that you have got email notification, can you please
              Inform the complete URL where you have registered.

• Sandeep
                Sandeep 19 Feb, 19 at 12:38 pm

Hi Shreekrishnan,

Even I am in the same boat.

My H1-B amendment (non-cap) was filed with CSC on 05-APR-2018. Later on 14-JAN-2019, there was an update saying that the case was transferred to the new location (assuming it is to Vermont). After that there is no update and still awaiting approval.

You can check your status at this new website, which is mostly accurate as per my observation : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Sandeep.

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
                  V SHREEKRISHNAN 19 Feb, 19 at 7:04 pm

Hi Sandeep. I have registered in the url that you have mentioned. But haven’t received any mail so far..most probably no action has been taken on my petition..lets hope for some decision soon.

Shree