Current H1B Processing Time 2019-20, 3 month – 1 yr Regular

8 Sep, 19
  1.4k

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

CALIFORNIA Fastest Approved Case Raise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month
H1B transferLIN19214***** Receipt: 07 Aug, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
11 May, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month

H1B Regular Vs Premium

H1B Premium processing costs $1410 and you can get approval within 1-15 days. USCIS will refund the premium fees if they cannot process it in 15 calendar days including weekends. Regular H1B application takes more than 3 months to get approval.

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial. The possibility of H1B approval are same in regular vs premium application.

If your employer is scaring you by saying that upgrading pending H1B to premium will result in denial or RFE, they are just trying to save money. This is a rumor and there is no need to believe it.

H1B Denial Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Steps After H1B Lottery

Check out our 7 steps for getting H1B and starting working on Oct 1 with H1B. If you have filed H1B in regular processing, we suggest to upgrade to premium processing so that you can get approval before October and can start working on Oct 1.

You will make more money by starting work earlier than saving Premium processing fees of $1410.

7 steps to H1B lottery process, Approval, RFE and Denials

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Lay off Grace Period

If you lose your H1B job or have left it by choice, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B Regular Vs Premium

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. vg100
    vg100

Got it! Thanks @Anil.Gupta!

Hi @Agilan

H1B processing times vary by each service center. Please check the time table as given on our processing time page.

3. Arunava_Datta
    Arunava_Datta

Hi Anil, your prediction was pin accurate and I receive my approval on May 30th.Thanks for being so kind to help in queries.

4. pink2012
    pink2012

Keeping my fingers crossed… Thanks for your prompt reply.

5. Akki24
    Akki24

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    Received my approval on August 1st via Email & text message.
    All websites shows updated status as below:

On August 1, 2019, we approved your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Receipt Number LIN191575**14. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to [www.uscis.gov/addresschange]…

Now waiting to get hard-copy of the approval.

Akshay

1,482 Useful Questions & Answers

1. Mahesh
    Mahesh 12 Feb, 19 at 12:27 pm

My H1 extension filed at CSC receipt date 26 Apr 2018 and transferred to NSC on 18 Dec 2018.
    1) If this is an No Change application – do you recommend upgrading it to Premium?
    2) When can I expect result in Normal processing based on current dates?

Thanks!

I have seen that USCIS is not allowing to upgrade to premium if the “no change” application is not filed exclusively at Nebraska. So, you have to check with your attorney.

You can expect result by April end at Nebraska.

The hopes are high that premium processing will open on Feb 20, 2019 that’s just a week away.

2. KP
    KP 12 Feb, 19 at 12:27 pm

My H1 extension filed on Nov 21st 2018 in california service center and moved to Vermont on Jan 15th 2019..when can i expect my extension results as per the above processing time mentioned

You can expect decision by March 2019 end.

3. RM
    RM 12 Feb, 19 at 5:08 pm

I just got the H1b cap 2019 case approved after getting RFE – the lawyers filed premium processing and got the approval within a week. The concern is that the visa duration is 2.5 years instead of the usual 3 years. Does it affect chances of extension etc. – does it mean that USCIS think my role is temporary? (it is not, it is a permanent position for a reputed product software company with HQ in Bay Area). Is there a likelihood of getting issues when needing extension? Thank you.

• RM
      RM 12 Feb, 19 at 5:08 pm

Just for your data point, my RFE was about missing – it was about this “requested evidence that the petition is supported by a Labor Condition Application. “. Even though the LCA was filed with the application.RFE on 31st Jan, RFE response with premium processing filed on 4th Feb and got answer on 12th Feb – at California service center.

You can’t really guess if there will be an RFE at the time of extention.
        As per my opinion, if this is a direct hire product company position, the chances of RFE at extension are 1%.

So, no need to worry.

• RM
          RM 20 Feb, 19 at 1:43 pm

Thank you Anil.
          This is very valuable information in the comments. Wonder if it can be made easier to search through the comments themselves, right now you have to keep “loading” and then using browser search. Just something to consider for improving the website.

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on creating separate post/page for each meaningful question and answer. That way, you can directly search (using custom Google search on our website or on google.com directly) and you will be taken directly to the page with relevant question and its answer.

We ourselves felt the need to do it too to share the past answers and have started work on it.

We appreciate your feedback.

4. wishal
    wishal 12 Feb, 19 at 4:20 pm

Hi,

My extension was filed in Jun 2018 at Nebraska and received RFE in Nov 2018, sent the response in Nov 2018 only. By when I can expect response?

You can expect response by March 2019 end.

5. Nikhil
    Nikhil 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

Currently I am in USA in H1B status (as a consultant) but with expired I-94 ( Jan 4th 2019). My H1-B extension regular processing was filed on Dec 21st 2019 in Nebraska Center. My client provided contract extension till May 30th 2019. which was submitted as supporting doc along with the extension package. Assuming my visa extension gets approved for 6 months, by the time I get my approval notice it will be almost time for expiry.

I am actively looking for a new employer but incase I couldn’t find any within time fame, I am planning to fly back to India around April 30th ( while the petition is still pending) and get H4 stamping. Then I will return to US in H4.

Do you think this might cause some issues with my H4 stamping ? What will happen if my H1B extension gets approved after I get my H4 stamping?

Nik

## H1B extention will be approved with consular processing
      If you leave USA while your H1B extention is pending, then your extension, if approved, will be approved with consular processing.

It means that you will have to go out of USA, get H1B stamp and re-enter using H1b visa.

## H4 to H1B in USA
      If you’re in USA on H4 visa and then your H-1B extension gets approved, then, you will have to file H-1B change of status application to convert your status from H4 to H-1B change of status.

You cannot start working unless the H4 to H-1B change of status application gets approved this is a big mess.

Or you will have to go outside USA, get H1B stamp and re-enter USA using H1B visa.
      This is much faster than waiting for H4 to H1B COS in USA.
      More info:

• Nikhil
        Nikhil 11 Feb, 19 at 8:11 am

Thank you so much for the info.

Since my current I94 is expired but H1B extension in pending , will it cause any issue in my H4 stamping in India ( planning on end of April)? Do I need to provide any document to prove my status in US ( from I94 expiry date till end of April)?

H4 stamping should not be an issue. It is probably the most safest visa at this time!
          You do not need to provide any extra proof for your status but it is good to carry your H1B extension pending notice of receipt, in case visa officer asks for it.

You may want to see the H4 Visa stamping Checklist here:

• Nikhil
            Nikhil 12 Feb, 19 at 3:49 pm

thanks again.

6. Vishal
    Vishal 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

Hello,

My H1 extension was filled on 08/3/2018 at CSC. On December 12th 2018 it got transferred to Nebraska Service Center. When can I expect initial response and what is probability (in case you have any info) that it will be straight decision with RFE? Additionally, is there a way I can request premium processing as it the case was transferred from CSC to NSC? I know premium processing is stopped until Feb 18th 2019, but I read elsewhere that I can request premium processing as the case was transferred from CSC to NSC.

Is this a ”no change” extention?

• Vishal
        Vishal 11 Feb, 19 at 8:04 am

It is not. It’s amended petition as per Part 2, question 2 f answered in I-129.

H1B amendment is not eligible for premium processing at this time including Nebraska service center.

The chances of RFE depend on your Employer’s paperwork. Most of the consultant companies are receiving RFEs to establish employer employee relationship.

• Vishal
            Vishal 11 Feb, 19 at 8:10 am

It’s not amendment petition, but it’s amended petition due to may be change in the Job title. My last extension was filed at Nebraska and got approved there in start of 2018. There is no client/project change, no city change, no company change.

Thanks for inputs on RFE probabilities. When do you see I’ll some response based on dates mentioned in initial post?

As per my information, USCIS allows premium processing at the new transferred center but for this premium processing suspension, they are allowing ‘extension’ applications filed ‘exclusively’ at Nebraska for premium.

Since your application was filed at CSC and now transferred to Nebraska, USCIS will not allow premium.

Check with your attorney and what is he saying?

• Vishal
                Vishal 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

Okay sure. When can I expect a response by if my case was transferred to NSC on 12th December 2018 with receipt date as 3rd August 2018?

You can expect response on or before April 3rd week.

7. Raj
    Raj 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

Hi Anil, thank you so much for helping people with their questions and concerns.

I have one question with mine which is, my H1B extension was filed on 16th Nov 18 at Nebraska center under normal processing, what could be the possible date when I can have decision?
    Also as per USCIS current processing timeline H1B extension shows 30th Aug 18 as of now, so does USCIS process the case based on current processing date ‘only’ which is Aug 18 as of now or people like me whose case was filed in Nov can also expect the decision soon? Appreciate your help !!

USCIS processes cases as first come first served in regular processing.
      Very few cases might get processed earlier than others due to their complete paperwork though.

• Raj
        Raj 11 Feb, 19 at 8:10 am

thank you so much for your quick reply, so considering my case was applied on 16th Nov 18 at Nebraska center under normal processing, what could be the possible date when I can have decision?

I think you will get result on or before April 15, 2019.

8. Venkat G
    Venkat G 9 Feb, 19 at 10:28 am

Hello Anil, My H1B amendment + extension was filled at Vermont on 26th Oct 2018, when can expect decision?

You can expect result by March 1 week end. This can be delayed if USCIS opens premium processing on Feb 20, 2019 though.

• Venkat G
        Venkat G 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

Thanks Anil. also filled H4 and H4 EAD along with my H1B, today H4-EAD case status updated to “New card is produced ” but H1 and H4 status not updated yet. Will they approve H4EAD before approving H1B?

Normally, they do not approve H4 EAD before H4 and h1B extension approval.
          But, we are seeing weird decision pattern from USCIS and this is visible in many cases.

If your H4 EAD is approved, you are lucky and the chances are very high that your H4 and H1B approvals are on their way pretty soon.
          Enjoy and congratulations!

• Venkat G
            Venkat G 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

Thanks Anil, I’ve received my H1b and H4 approval copies today but my H1b validity has typo in validate dates from 10/26/2018 to 1026/2018 and I-94 validate dates are correct 10/26/2018 to 11/5/2021. No date issue with H4 approval notice(3 years)
            I’ve created online service request for typo in validation dates. do you know how long will it take? is there any way to check status online?

It can take 30+ days to get correction. Congratulations for your approvals.

9. Shankar Venkat
    Shankar Venkat 9 Feb, 19 at 10:27 am

I really appreciate your expertise and the prompt responses.

My H1B extension filed with CA center on May,26 2018. The status is still received (no RFE). But my company HR was contacted by USCIS officer over email requesting for project related documents (MSA/SOW) in the month of December which was shared. After that there is no further update. 6 days ago i got an automated mail stating “We will notify you when your case status changes. We last took action on your case on January 3, 2019.” Not sure whats going on..
    This is really frustrating thing to wait for almost a year for the extension process..Do you have any idea when can i expect final decision ?

Thanks !

You should get result on or before March 2019 end.

10. Esther
    Esther 9 Feb, 19 at 10:27 am

Thank you for reading and replying to all posts, it is really very helpful page. Very much appreciate what you are doing.

My scenario is ,my h1b extension was rejected and I travelled back to India . i am still working for same project and client i was working in usa, so my company again filed the petition under h1b non cap category. So for me when i look into the status table, which section i i should look for? H1b cos or simply extension?

Also when i asked my company to file the visa under premium as My project ,client ,role everything is same , i was told only those who currently in usa can apply at nebraska for premium and i am not eligible. What s ur thoughts on this?

You should look at ‘H1B Extension’ timelines for your case service center.

I am not aware of any such physical presence condition placed by USCIS for filing in Premium processing for ‘no change’ H1b extension.

I have covered the Premium processing suspension and filing at Nebraska requirements here: