Current H1B Processing Time 2019-20, 3 month – 1 yr Regular

Updated  15 Oct, 19
  1.4k

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month
H1B transferLIN19240***** Receipt: 13 Sep, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
17 Jun, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month

H1B Regular Vs Premium

H1B Premium processing costs $1410 and you can get approval within 1-15 days. USCIS will refund the premium fees if they cannot process it in 15 calendar days including weekends. Regular H1B application takes more than 3 months to get approval.

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial. The possibility of H1B approval are same in regular vs premium application.

If your employer is scaring you by saying that upgrading pending H1B to premium will result in denial or RFE, they are just trying to save money. This is a rumor and there is no need to believe it.

H1B Denial Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Steps After H1B Lottery

Check out our 7 steps for getting H1B and starting working on Oct 1 with H1B. If you have filed H1B in regular processing, we suggest to upgrade to premium processing so that you can get approval before October and can start working on Oct 1.

You will make more money by starting work earlier than saving Premium processing fees of $1410.

7 steps to H1B lottery process, Approval, RFE and Denials

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Lay off Grace Period

If you lose your H1B job or have left it by choice, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B Regular Vs Premium

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. vg100
    vg100

Got it! Thanks @Anil.Gupta!

Hi @Agilan

H1B processing times vary by each service center. Please check the time table as given on our processing time page.

3. Arunava_Datta
    Arunava_Datta

Hi Anil, your prediction was pin accurate and I receive my approval on May 30th.Thanks for being so kind to help in queries.

4. pink2012
    pink2012

Keeping my fingers crossed… Thanks for your prompt reply.

5. Akki24
    Akki24

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    Received my approval on August 1st via Email & text message.
    All websites shows updated status as below:

On August 1, 2019, we approved your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Receipt Number LIN191575**14. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to [www.uscis.gov/addresschange]…

Now waiting to get hard-copy of the approval.

Akshay

1,465 Useful Questions & Answers

1. Smilz Alwaz
    Smilz Alwaz 19 Feb, 19 at 4:03 pm

Just want to confirm whether premium processing opened now?

2. Ramesh Prk
    Ramesh Prk 19 Feb, 19 at 8:59 am

My case was filed on July 6 2018 as non subject cap from india in California service center . there is no update so for . I guess my case was transferred to another center on Jan 14 2019 , but they did not update in USCIS portal (but i received notification to my gmail that last action took on your case was on Jan 14th 2019 so i am guessing its been transferred) . any idea about time frame for non subject cap petitions ?

I cannot estimate your processing time if you do not know where your application is currently pending at.
      Ask your employer to check if they received any letter from USCIS to inform about case transfer to other USCIS service center.

• Ramesh Prk
        Ramesh Prk 19 Feb, 19 at 9:13 am

most of Jan 14 2019 transfers went to VSC . NSC will not process non subject to cap petitions right ?

Assuming your case went to VSC, you can expect your H1B approval by May 2019 end.

• Ramesh Prk
            Ramesh Prk 19 Feb, 19 at 9:20 am

i am seeing below one of the post “My non cap filed on 15th march 2018 in California no updates till now” . they did not process march non cap petition at all . i am thinking now 🙁

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
              V SHREEKRISHNAN 19 Feb, 19 at 11:28 am

Hi Ramesh,
              I am the one with non cap filed in March at CSC with no updates so far. Though I have signed up for email notifications , I have never received any email from USCIS reg my petition. Since you have mentioned that you have got email notification, can you please
              Inform the complete URL where you have registered.

• Sandeep
                Sandeep 19 Feb, 19 at 12:38 pm

Hi Shreekrishnan,

Even I am in the same boat.

My H1-B amendment (non-cap) was filed with CSC on 05-APR-2018. Later on 14-JAN-2019, there was an update saying that the case was transferred to the new location (assuming it is to Vermont). After that there is no update and still awaiting approval.

You can check your status at this new website, which is mostly accurate as per my observation : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Sandeep.

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
                  V SHREEKRISHNAN 19 Feb, 19 at 7:04 pm

Hi Sandeep. I have registered in the url that you have mentioned. But haven’t received any mail so far..most probably no action has been taken on my petition..lets hope for some decision soon.

Shree

3. Amit Garg
    Amit Garg 18 Feb, 19 at 8:01 pm

Need your suggestion currently my H1B extension/Amendment is in progress I received RFE few days back and waiting for the details from my company. My visa & i94 was expired on July’18 and now my 240 days period going to be completed on March’19.
    I checked with my company and they said I won’t work after 240 days but I saw some post and as per them in amendment+extension case we can after 240 days is there any proof/document which I can show to my company that prove I can work after 240 days. Thanks

Are you sure your H1B application has been filed as “Amendment + Extension”? If yes, then you can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry.

I also suggest to upgrade your H1B application to premium processing as you are too close to 240 day limit. It is better to get result faster than stopping work after 240 days, if your employer insists.

• Amit Garg
        Amit Garg 18 Feb, 19 at 8:25 pm

Yes my case filed as Amendment + Extension. And I am planning to convert my case to Premium when I will reply to RFE

As I have mentioned on the 240 day rule page link, it is a bit of gray area for H1B extension + Amendment application.
          So, if your employer and attorney are okay to let you keep working after 240 days, you should be fine.

• sonali vibhute
            sonali vibhute 19 Feb, 19 at 7:35 pm

Hi Anil, I also have the same issue. My extension was filed with extension/amendment but my company is saying I can’t stay after 240 days. Do you have any link for USCIS where I can check the details.

As i said in my H1B 240 day rule post, there is no official information from USCIS specifically for Amendment + Extension case.
              So, it is up-to you and your employer to take the final decision.

Some employers allow it and others don’t.

4. V SHREEKRISHNAN
    V SHREEKRISHNAN 18 Feb, 19 at 7:02 pm

My non cap filed on 15th march 2018 in California..no updates till now..the last updated date in my case also shows 16th march 2018.Does it mean no action has been taken so far?

Yes, i think no action has been taken on your case. You are eligible for H1B premium processing upgrade now.

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
        V SHREEKRISHNAN 18 Feb, 19 at 9:04 pm

Thank you Anil..quite disturbing to note that there has been no status update so far..are the processing dates likely to extend more or we can expect results by next month?

As per my opinion, regular application processing time may increase now that premium processing has been opened for certain applications.

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
            V SHREEKRISHNAN 19 Feb, 19 at 8:59 pm

Got Rfe on my case on 19.2.19.

Thanks for sharing the update.

• Ramesh Prk
              Ramesh Prk 20 Feb, 19 at 12:15 am

you upgraded to premium for non cap petition? . USCIS portal is updated with current RFE status ?

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
                V SHREEKRISHNAN 20 Feb, 19 at 12:58 am

Did not upgrade to RFE..was in normal processing only..current status is updated in the portal also.

• Ramesh Prk
                  Ramesh Prk 20 Feb, 19 at 5:12 am

oh thanks . did you get email notification ?

• V SHREEKRISHNAN
                    V SHREEKRISHNAN 20 Feb, 19 at 7:29 am

Yes..got email notification today.

5. Ajitha
    Ajitha 18 Feb, 19 at 2:47 pm

My case was filed in Nebraska on Oct 24th and there is no update yet. Today when I checked the case, LUD was showing as 02/12/2019. Does that mean anything is happening in my case or its just a system updated date ? Can you please help to understand this ?

LUD does not really mean anything useful. Your case is still under processing.

• Ajitha
        Ajitha 18 Feb, 19 at 8:19 pm

Thank you Anil for updating. May I know when I can expect a decision on my case as per the current trend ?

You can expect your H1B approval by March 20, 2019.

6. Aneesh L
    Aneesh L 18 Feb, 19 at 12:34 pm

My H1b amendment+ extension was received on 15th May 2018 at California center and transferred to nebraska on 9th December 2018. When can I expect to receive the decision? Do i refer to Nebraska processing times or California? If so do I take the date of transfer to Nebraska as date of filing to calculate estimated processing time?

Yes, its a good idea to check the new center i.e. Nebraska service center timeline now with the start date as case transfer date.

You are also eligible for H1B premium processing upgrade. I suggest to upgrade.

7. Mani
    Mani 17 Feb, 19 at 6:48 pm

HI Anil,

I transferred my H1B from Employer A to Employer B and Employer C and waiting for my status for B and C. My I94 expired on Dec-22-2018 and my employer B&C filed the H1B petition before my I94 expires.

Currently I am working in Employer B with receipt notice.

Question.
    1. If Employer B petition is denied then am I allowed to join in Employer C while Employer C petition is pending/approved?
    2. Employer B filed petition on Sep-26-2018. What would be the processing time for my petition?

You can join Employer C if Employer B petition is denied.
      Which service center has your Employer B applied at?

• Mani
        Mani 18 Feb, 19 at 10:21 am

1. Do I have to go to India for Stamping for joining in Employer C?
        2. Filed in California service center.

You cannot apply for stamping unless your H1B petition is approved. You can join Employer C based on receipt if its still pending.
          You will get a new i94 with the approval.
          California center is overloaded and you might get approval anywhere around August 2019 for employer B’s transfer application.

8. Aparna
    Aparna 17 Feb, 19 at 1:06 pm

Our Current I94 expires on April2nd,2019 and so is my H4 EAD.

My spouse is with Employer A, we applied for extension(H1+H4+H4 EAD Renewal) in normal Processing on October 26, 2018(Vermont). He Also got full time offer from Employer B. So, while applying H1 transfer we applied H1 & H4 Extension(California Service Center).

Now, we are eligible for Premium Processing. My Spouse H1 petition with Employer A got RFE and we are preparing the documentation. I heard that it will take 3-4 weeks of time to attorney to submit RFE Response. But, by that time My EAD will expire and I will loose my Job.

I have a question here,
    1. Can I again apply for EAD Renewal with Employer B while Upgrading my spouse H1 Petition?
    2. If I tag this EAD Renewal with H1 Petition, will it be Processed along with H1?
    3. If EAD does not go in Premium, will there be any problem as EAD Renewal with Employer A is Process?

You can apply for H4 EAD renewal with Employer B while upgrading your application.

What do you mean by tagging? All H4 EAD applications are automatically tagged to primary H1B. If you mean filing concurrently, then that option is not available now as you said you have already applied for H1B + H4 extension with employer B.

H4 EAD will not be processed in premium now if you upgrade your employer B H1B to premium. There is no problem with EAD renewal either with Employer A or employer B.
      If you leave Employer A to join Employer B, then your H4 EAD with Employer might receive an RFE, at which point you can withdraw your application if you want.

9. Priya Seshadri
    Priya Seshadri 16 Feb, 19 at 9:27 pm

I have filled my HNSC petition on March 26 2018 am I eligible for premium processing now ?

10. Skt skt
    Skt skt 15 Feb, 19 at 1:41 pm

HI Anil, In egov.uscis.gov website, my H4 EAD staus shows as “New Card Is Being Produced”. But my H1B and H4 still show as “Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction”. What does it mean? Does this means, H1B and H4 is approved , but not updated in egov.uscis.gov website yet.

Thank you so much for all your support.

Your H1B and H4 are also probably approved but the status is not reflecting online. Don’t worry.
      H1B and H4 approval is on the way. Enjoy.

• Skt skt
        Skt skt 15 Feb, 19 at 2:05 pm

Thank you so much Anil. You are really a great help for so many people.