Current H1B Processing Time 2019-20, 3 month – 1 yr Regular

23 Aug, 19
  1.4k

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month
H1B transferLIN19202***** Receipt: 22 Jul, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
25 Apr, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month

H1B Regular Vs Premium

H1B Premium processing costs $1410 and you can get approval within 1-15 days. USCIS will refund the premium fees if they cannot process it in 15 calendar days including weekends. Regular H1B application takes more than 3 months to get approval.

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial. The possibility of H1B approval are same in regular vs premium application.

If your employer is scaring you by saying that upgrading pending H1B to premium will result in denial or RFE, they are just trying to save money. This is a rumor and there is no need to believe it.

H1B Denial Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Steps After H1B Lottery

Check out our 7 steps for getting H1B and starting working on Oct 1 with H1B. If you have filed H1B in regular processing, we suggest to upgrade to premium processing so that you can get approval before October and can start working on Oct 1.

You will make more money by starting work earlier than saving Premium processing fees of $1410.

7 steps to H1B lottery process, Approval, RFE and Denials

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Lay off Grace Period

If you lose your H1B job or have left it by choice, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B Regular Vs Premium

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. vg100
    vg100

Got it! Thanks @Anil.Gupta!

Hi @Agilan

H1B processing times vary by each service center. Please check the time table as given on our processing time page.

3. Arunava_Datta
    Arunava_Datta

Hi Anil, your prediction was pin accurate and I receive my approval on May 30th.Thanks for being so kind to help in queries.

4. pink2012
    pink2012

Keeping my fingers crossed… Thanks for your prompt reply.

5. Akki24
    Akki24

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    Received my approval on August 1st via Email & text message.
    All websites shows updated status as below:

On August 1, 2019, we approved your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Receipt Number LIN191575**14. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to [www.uscis.gov/addresschange]…

Now waiting to get hard-copy of the approval.

Akshay

1,460 Useful Questions & Answers

1. Mraj
    Mraj 13 Feb, 19 at 4:23 pm

My extension + Amendment filed at California on May 2018 and Responded RFE on December 2018.When can i expect the results?.

You can expect your H1B application result by end of March 2019.

2. Raja
    Raja 13 Feb, 19 at 9:33 am

Hi Anil, I have my filed H1b extension at Nebraska on 23rd OCT 2018, when can i expect the result.

You can expect result on or before March 3rd week end.

3. thinker
    thinker 12 Feb, 19 at 3:49 pm

Hi,

What is RFE approval rate in Vermont center? Can you please share if you have a data?

Sorry, we do not have RFE approval rate data.

4. Priyanka Sharma
    Priyanka Sharma 12 Feb, 19 at 3:49 pm

My H1 extension was filed on April 10th at CSC. Its still showing as “case was received ” message in my USCIS account. When can i expect results?Thank you for your help.

You can expect result by march first week as per my estimation.

• Priyanka Sharma
        Priyanka Sharma 12 Feb, 19 at 4:04 pm

Appreciate your quick response.Do you think should i convert to Premium processing if it opens on this Feb 20th?
        Also do you know if USCIS is processing cases those first which are near 240 days expiration ?My i94 expired on last September 2018.

You should upgrade to premium if you want peace of mind.

I don’t think USCIS prioritizes cases based on your 240 day ending soon. If that was the case, everybody would file their H1B extension as close as possible to their i94 expiry to get decision faster. That would not be fair.

• Priyanka Sharma
            Priyanka Sharma 12 Feb, 19 at 4:04 pm

Ok that’s good to know. Thank you again for your response.

• Priyanka Sharma
            Priyanka Sharma 15 Feb, 19 at 1:17 pm

Hi Anil, i just want to share that i got my approval this week.Thank you for your amazing work. Good luck everyone!

Great. Congratulations and enjoy.

Looks like i need to shave 2 weeks off my estimation 🙂 Nobody likes long beard anyway. Just kidding.

5. P_K
    P_K 12 Feb, 19 at 3:49 pm

Hi Anil

My extension was filed in nov 2018 in calufornia center and moved to vermont in jan 2019 and in process..my curret i797 and i94 expired in dec2018..is it safe to transfer to new employer when my current extrnsion is in process?pls advice

I do not recommend to file a transfer at this stage after your i94 expiry.
      It is better to first get your H1B result and then file H1B transfer.

6. Agree krishnan
    Agree krishnan 12 Feb, 19 at 7:33 pm

Non cap extension filed on 15th March 2018 CSC..showing receipt status till now..will I be able to see the results at least by this month end ?

I think you will get result by Mar 25, 2019. Exactly after an year. California is seriously taking hell lot of time.

• Shree
        Shree 12 Feb, 19 at 7:43 pm

Thats another month of waiting..

7. DD
    DD 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

How can I know if my application got transferred to another center. My H1B Amendment was filed on July 9, 2018 at California.

You can see your case status on USCIS case website.
      USCIS will also send the letter by mail to your attorney to inform about the case transfer if any has happened for you.

8. rishi m
    rishi m 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

First of all you are doing and absolutely amazing work here! This thread is very very helpful.
    My question to you if you have time,
    I have filed for H1b extension based on approved I-140. After 8 Months and one jurisdiction transfer I got RFE from Nebraska, This my first H1b extension with I-140 but the client has remained same for me for 7 years.
    If I have another offer can I switch employer and my I-140 case to new employer while waiting for this RFE to resolve?
    Does RFE response take same amount of time (~8 months) from USCIS or should I file for premium processing with RFE response?

Thank you again!!
    Rishi

RFE response can take any amount of time. It is currently taking about 90+ days on average.

You can file H1B transfer with approved i140 at this point safely if your i94 is still valid.
      If i94 has expired, I suggest to wait for your current extension approval first and then go for Transfer.

• rishi m
        rishi m 12 Feb, 19 at 4:25 pm

Thank you so much, unfortunately my i-94 has expired long back ~6 months.
        Is there any way to expedite the RFE response, like if premium processing opens up?
        Thank you again!!

Yes, you can upgrade to premium processing once it opens up. I strongly suggest to upgrade.
          I will share the USCIS premium processing update here as soon as news is published:

• rishi m
            rishi m 12 Feb, 19 at 6:34 pm

You are an amazing person! we are indebted.

You are welcome. I take it as compliment.
              Do share the website with your friends if you think it is useful.

9. Prakash
    Prakash 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

Currently i have an I94 expiring August 2019 but i have a valid Visa and approved petition till Marc 2020. I had short I94 because My passport expired before Petition but anyhow i renewed my passport recently.I tried reaching a CBP office in Indiana but they told me to apply for Extension with USCIS. Please guide me is there is a way I get my I94 extended without leaving US.

10. RK
    RK 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

Hi, Just a data point.

My extension with Amazon was filed on Jun 27 at California Service Center. It was moved to Vermont on Jan 24th and received an RFE on Feb 6th. Now waiting..

Thanks for sharing your case details. Do you mind sharing what documents have been requested in RFE?