Current H1B Processing Time 2020, 3 month – 1 yr Regular

Updated  6 Jan, 20
  1k

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month
H1B transferLIN20031***** Receipt: 14 Nov, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
18 Aug, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month

H1B Regular Vs Premium

H1B Premium processing costs $1410 and you can get approval within 1-15 days. USCIS will refund the premium fees if they cannot process it in 15 calendar days including weekends. Regular H1B application takes more than 3 months to get approval.

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial. The possibility of H1B approval are same in regular vs premium application.

If your employer is scaring you by saying that upgrading pending H1B to premium will result in denial or RFE, they are just trying to save money. This is a rumor and there is no need to believe it.

H1B Denial Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Steps After H1B Lottery

Check out our 7 steps for getting H1B and starting working on Oct 1 with H1B. If you have filed H1B in regular processing, we suggest to upgrade to premium processing so that you can get approval before October and can start working on Oct 1.

You will make more money by starting work earlier than saving Premium processing fees of $1410.7 steps to H1B lottery process, Approval, RFE and Denials

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Lay off Grace Period

If you lose your H1B job or have left it by choice, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B Regular Vs Premium

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. Sandeep_Karne
    Sandeep_Karne

My employer applied for my first time H1-b visa last year. In November they sent RFE and my employer said they have replied to it and they have done through premium processing on January 6th, 2020. But if I open the case number on USCIS website it still says the RFE was sent on Nov,13th 2019.( it doesn’t show RFE was received)
    When I ask my employer they say the premium processing payment has not yet deducted.
    Can you please share your experience of what is happening ? If they have put in premium processing it should come up in 15 days correct ?

Hi @Sandeep_Karne

Most probably, your employer has not filed for premium upgrade at all. We have not heard of any case where premium stays pending for more than 15 days.

3. asit_dash
    asit_dash

Hi Anil

For my H1B,I got RFE in October and got RFE response submission receipt on September 24th from California centre.

It’s almost 130 days over and I didn’t got any response from USCIS. Any idea by when I can expect a response.

Thanks in advance for your help

Asit

Hi @asit_dash

RFE response from California is taking 100+ days these days. You should be able to get result soon.

5. antique
    antique

HI Anil,

Can u please let me know when can we get the approval for an Amendment raised at Vermont center . As I can see in USCIS site… the processing times for I 129 form is 6.5 to 8.5 months for the visa to be issued abroad…I’m currently in India …and have no stamping …can u please shed some light on it … ur suggestion is greatly appreciated

1,068 Useful Questions & Answers

1. tracker12345
    tracker12345 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

Hi Anil and all,

What is the other website to check for status?
    I have been checking my status here:
    Is there any other resource?

The link you have is the correct one to use.
      Some people also use the DHS website to register and track their case status here:

Both are same. You can also try it there if you want.

2. Zhu Jessica
    Zhu Jessica 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

Do you know why my received date is different in two check status sites?

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

Not sure why but everyone sees the difference in dates on these two sites.

3. DS
    DS 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

Hi Anil, I have a very basic question. I have applied for change of status FROM H1B to H4.
    in this case, should I look for H1COS data or the H4COS data.

OR

I would very much appreciate your help on this .

Look for H4 change of status data as your intended status is H4.

4. .
    . 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Happy Holiday Everyone! I hope each of us will get the visa early in 2019!

Happy holidays to you too.

5. Vinod Mandavkar
    Vinod Mandavkar 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

My H1B and i-94 are valid till June 30, 2019 but LCA associated with my H1B expired on June 30, 2018. Will I still be able to work onsite with expired LCA? If no, is it possible to just apply for new LCA and travel with current Visa?

You can travel as long as your H1B visa is valid if you are outside USA at this time. LCA does not affect your travel if H1B visa is valid at the time of travel.

• Vinod Mandavkar
        Vinod Mandavkar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:13 am

Thanks for the response Anil. Will my employer be able to run payroll if I travel with valid visa but expired LCA?

Why not? They have to run payroll to keep and maintain your H1B status.
          If they don’t run your payroll, you cannot stay in US on H1B.

• Vinod Mandavkar
            Vinod Mandavkar 10 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

Since LCA of my H1B expired, my employer asked me to return India as they can not run payroll with expired LCA. I am not sure if that’s how LCA works.

Hi Vinod,
              I am not sure why your employer has done that. Cannot comment unless i know the complete details of the case. There should be something else to your scenario as well that is prompting your employer to take that decision.

Why can’t they file another LCA or why are they not filing your H1B extension if you are still at onsite?
              Where are you physically located at this time? I thought you are outside USA and asking this question.

Please disclose the complete scenario before asking questions.

• Vinod Mandavkar
                Vinod Mandavkar 11 Feb, 19 at 1:52 pm

Let me explain…
                1. I got h1b stamped on 21st Feb 2017 valid through 30th June 2019. This h1b is for location Philadelphia.
                2. But unfortunately I couldn’t travel (from India) to Philadelphia due to personal reasons.
                3. Later in March 2018 got a new project in California, applied for h1b amendment for change of location from Philadelphia to California.
                4. Immidiately after receiving Amendment receipt notice I travelled to California on 25th March 2018.
                5. This amendment got denied on 21st August 2018.
                6. At this point of time, my Client was ok for me to work from Philadelphia but unfortunately my employer said I cannot work anymore from Philadelphia too as the LCA for that location has expired on 30th June 2018 and payroll cannot be run with expired LCA. So, they asked me to return India.

Currently, I am outside USA.

Ok. .so this is the reason. Your Employer is correct.
                  You did not clearly mention your situation in first question and did not say anything about amendment denial.

You CAN only work for the client that was approved for Philadelphia PA location.
                  You CANNOT work from Philadelphia for client in California.

• Vinod Mandavkar
                    Vinod Mandavkar 12 Feb, 19 at 12:31 pm

Sorry for missing out on mentioning one more point in the previous reply.

Both Philadelphia and California projects belong to the same client. So there is no change in client name and my position/designation/role but just the project name.

It does not matter if the client name is same.
                      The work location matters and that’s the reason your employer would have filed an amendment.

If your amendment is denied, you cannot work for that project/location/client combination.

6. RK
    RK 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Looks like the dates for Nebraska are messed up once again. According to your estimate, what dates might be getting processed “Best Case” in Nebraska Extension Case? My receipt notice date is 09/28.

RK

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

I will check the dates manually. Did you check your case using the ‘Add & Company my case’ available on top of this page?
      This will give you a better idea with case numbers around your receipt number to see which ones have been approved.

7. prabath panchadara
    prabath panchadara 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hi Anil, I think now the govt shutdown in place, but seems to be dates are changing in above….

8. Sri
    Sri 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hello Anil, Was there any new rule published by USCIS stating that one can legally stay and work beyond 240 days on I-94 expiry while decision still pending? it seems one of the major IT employer sending this communication to their employees starting this week. do you have an insight in to this new rule? thank you.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

I am not aware of any such USCIS rule change.

The current rule is:
      1. One can work beyond 240 days after i94 expiry only in case of H1B transfer pending application.
      2. For standard H1B extension pending application, you cannot work beyond 240 days after i94 expiry.

So, be careful.

9. Jay
    Jay 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hello Sir, is it safe to add the case in am22tech. how can we edit the case if we enter incorrectly

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

Yes, it is safe to add the case.
      Since, there is no log-in, you can simply come back and ‘add’ another status update whenever you have an update to share instead of editing.
      Does that answer your question?

• Jay
        Jay 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Thanks Sir

10. Srikanth Sri
    Srikanth Sri 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Please suggest me on the below issue and the further steps.
    i have applied H4 extension for my wife and kids on Dec 6th and USCIS has received on 7th Dec.
    I-94 expired on December 11th . Today i have received Rejection notice from USCIS for not filling the documentation correctly .
    In this case my wife and kids go out of status.

Sri.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

Yes, they are out of status if the application has been denied.
      They should go out of US to avoid unlawful presence.
      They can apply for H4 in US embassy outside US and then enter US again.

• Srikanth Sri
        Srikanth Sri 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Thanks Anil, can my family stay for some days or they have leave US immediately ?
        As My H1 extension status is still pending with USCIS , applied on 28th August.

No, they cannot stay if their application has been denied and i94 has expired.
          They should leave within 7-10 days to avoid issues with H4 stamping.

• Srikanth Sri
            Srikanth Sri 9 Feb, 19 at 10:44 am

Can i file H4 again ?

If you file H4 again while in your wife and kid is in US, it will be rejected again as their i94 has already expired. To file any extension, the person has to be in valid status.
              Right now, they are ‘out of status’.