Current H1B Processing Time 2019-20, 3 month – 1 yr Regular

22 Jul, 19
  2.2k

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month 3 days
H1B transferLIN19181***** Receipt: 20 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
21 Mar, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month 3 days

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus
Pending  Approved  RFE,   Denied  Your case  Verified Status

H1B Regular Vs Premium

H1B Premium processing costs $1410 and you can get approval within 1-15 days. USCIS will refund the premium fees if they cannot process it in 15 calendar days including weekends. Regular H1B application takes more than 3 months to get approval.

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial. The possibility of H1B approval are same in regular vs premium application.

If your employer is scaring you by saying that upgrading pending H1B to premium will result in denial or RFE, they are just trying to save money. This is a rumor and there is no need to believe it.

H1B Denial Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Steps After H1B Lottery

Check out our 7 steps for getting H1B and starting working on Oct 1 with H1B. If you have filed H1B in regular processing, we suggest to upgrade to premium processing so that you can get approval before October and can start working on Oct 1.

You will make more money by starting work earlier than saving Premium processing fees of $1410.

7 steps to H1B lottery process, Approval, RFE and Denials

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Lay off Grace Period

If you lose your H1B job or have left it by choice, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

How long does H1B regular processing take?

H1B regular application processing time is 3 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B Regular Vs Premium

Does H1B premium increase chances of RFE or Denial?

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. vg100
    vg100

Got it! Thanks @Anil.Gupta!

Hi @Agilan

H1B processing times vary by each service center. Please check the time table as given on our processing time page.

3. Arunava_Datta
    Arunava_Datta

Hi Anil, your prediction was pin accurate and I receive my approval on May 30th.Thanks for being so kind to help in queries.

4. pink2012
    pink2012

Keeping my fingers crossed… Thanks for your prompt reply.

5. asit_dash
    asit_dash

Okay, Thank for your time and response.

Asit

2,217 Useful Questions & Answers

1. sam
    sam 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

my company filed H1B extension on October 31st to California service center and case was transferred to Nebraska Service center on December 18th.When can we expect the decision ? upgrading premium will help ?

You can expect decision on or before June end.

If you are eligible, then yes, upgrading to premium will speed up the process.

2. Vijay Sharma
    Vijay Sharma 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

The Good news is my h1 transfer got transferred to Vermont from CSC is approved today but unfortunately they have given me approval until my work authorization (that was till April 2019) now employer looking for an extension and can they use premium processing for this extension to get approval until my H1 max out.

Also my family is in india and is it safe for my wife to travel back on current approval?

Wow..congratulations on the approval.
      Yes, your employer can file the H1B extension in premium as it would most probably be a ‘no change’ extension.

You have to tell me more information about your wife H4 visa validity.

If she has valid H4 stamp, she can travel and enter USA with no issues.
      When she is in USA, you have to file for her H4 extension as well along with your H1B extension.

Does that answer your question?

• Vijay Sharma
        Vijay Sharma 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

@SoanT:disqus Can i stay after April 2019 if the extension not come until that time in this case of extension (no change)?

You can stay in u.s. while your extension is pending and it was filed before your I-94 expiry.

• Vijay Sharma
        Vijay Sharma 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

My employer is starting my extension ASAP as i have valid approval until Apr 2019.

My Wife’s H4 VISA and I 94 is expired and was valid until March 2018 though. Can i raise a drop box request for her and get her visa stamping done and then she can travel back and ask for the H4 extension once she will in USA.

Yes, you can check if your wife is eligible for dropbox using this app:

You are actually too close to your current approval’s expiry and may just make in time if your wife moves fast enough and file everything within Feb.
          You may want to see H4 visa stamping checklist:

• Vijay Sharma
            Vijay Sharma 11 Feb, 19 at 8:11 am

Yes Anil. I can expedite the process to get everything ready in Feb also i checked in the Dropbox eligibility app and answers all the questions and found the attached approval that means she is eligible for drop box facility right? and also if i can expedite and complete the DS 160 form with all the required documents (for dropbox) then she can travel back without any hurdle?

If she can get H4 visa stamp before your current H1B approval expires, she can travel with no issues.

• Vijay Sharma
              Vijay Sharma 12 Feb, 19 at 3:50 pm

@@SoanT:disqus She might not have Marriage certificate and Employment verification letter – Original in original (as she is in India and these original i have in USA with me). Is copy of marriage Certificate and EVL is good enough for stamping?

Normally, the visa officer may not even ask to show these documents. But, we recommend to carry them in original as a precaution.
              I suggest to mail (by post) them to your wife.

3. srini
    srini 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil, My I-94 was expired on 1st Dec 2019, filed for transfer on 11th Sep 2018 at California, normal processing, it was transferred to Nebraska on 10th Jan. If transfer denied, I may have to stop work immediately, but how long I can stay to pickup? When the unlawful stay starts. Is it from the day of the i-94 expiry date or denial date or 60 days from i-94 expiry. I am still within the 240 days of I-94 expiry date (it will be around July end 2019). Please suggest.

The ‘Unlawful presence’ starts immediately on the day of denial by USCIS after i94 expiry.

4. Robin Dia
    Robin Dia 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil, My H1B transfer was filed on 23rd Jan 2019 at Vermont Service Center , when can i expect the decision in normal processing ?
    Also will the premium processing resume on Feb 19th , any update on that ?

5. Arya Manna
    Arya Manna 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

hi anil, my company is refusing to file h1b extension (no changes) in premium even if I’m willing to pay the fee, citing reason such as premium is not advisable based my case and company documents. is it normal?

Your Employer is just making a foolish excuse.

• Arya Manna
        Arya Manna 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

They site the same reason for my i140 case as well. I feel like they are exploiting the situation. Is there a way to track i140 the same way as h1b? It’s been pending for three months.

6. SAKR
    SAKR 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

My H1b filed on Oct-18 and I-94 expires on Oct-30. On Dec-18-2018 my case was transferred to Nebraska. When can i expect the decision on my case.

You can expect decision by April.

7. Sanjay Gupta
    Sanjay Gupta 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi, My H1B extension and amendment was filled on Feb 2018. On December 2018, it is transferred to Nebraska service center. My current was expired on August 2018. How soon can my case be processed and also, will I be able to work even after 240 days if it is still not processed?

8. Goutham
    Goutham 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil, is there a way H1B extension and H1B transfer petition are treated differently? Is the general conception that transfer petition will get decision faster than extension petition is true? If so, why?

I am not aware of any such conception.
      As per my experience, all applications are treated equal.

9. mathi1b
    mathi1b 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi , My L1 expired and I have I94 valid for another 2 year., Can i continue to work ., without apply for extension

Your question is not clear.

What has expired?
      Your L1 visa stamp or L1 i797 approval?

• mathi1b
        mathi1b 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

my L1 Visa/I-129S is expired , but I797 is life time valid it looks

Generally, if your i129S has expired and i94 is still valid, you should have filed for L1 extension before the visa expiry.
          i94 may have been given longer expiry by mistake.

I suggest to talk to your employer’s attorney and check if your status in USA is still valid or not.

• mathi1b
            mathi1b 11 Feb, 19 at 8:04 am

thanks Anil

10. Sandeep
    Sandeep 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

My H1b Amendment + Extension was filed on Aug-31 2018. My I-94 expired on Sep-2 2018. The case was initially filed in California Service center. On Dec-11-2018 my case was transferred to Nebraska. When can i expect the decision on my case.

You should expect decision by March end.

• Sandeep
        Sandeep 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

Thanks. With Premium processing starting Feb 19th will it delay the normal processing dates (of March end )?

If premium processing resumes on Feb 20, 2019, it will possibly increase the regular processing timelines.