Current H1B Processing Time 2019 – 3 months to 1 year

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  23 May, 19
  2k

H1B processing time - Updated Daily
H1B processing time - Updated Daily

H1B regular application is taking 2.5 months to 1 year for approvals.

H1B premium processing is getting approval within 1 to 15 days of filing. Applying H1B in premium does not increase your chances of H1B RFE or denial.

Average USCIS RFE response review processing time is 90 days.

How long does H1B transfer take? California Service center is slowest for H1B transfer while Vermont and Nebraska are faster in processing H1B extensions, transfers and Amendments.

The best case H1B approval data is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real H1B applicants in various forums and trackers online.

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus

H1B transferLIN19138***** / 21 Apr, 19
1 month 2 days
12 Jan, 19
4 month 11 days
Updated: 19:00 CST Next Update: 22:00 CST

H1B Approval Rate

Third party consulting companies like Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Infosys etc. have 20% higher rate of h1B rejection than direct client full time H1B jobs.

Make sure that your employer files the proofs to support your employment as H1b Specialty occupation is the number one reason for H1B RFE and then denial.

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case receipt date’ is before the USCIS service request date mentioned above, you should ask your employer or attorney raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. Only your employer can raise the service request for H1B application.

It is possible that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

H1B Filed in April – Lottery Result

The new H1B 2020 season applications will start processing in May 2019. You should look at the ‘H1B New‘ application processing time for new Lottery selected applications.

If your petition is selected and you filed in regular, your employer will get receipt notice by April end.

Premium processing cases that are selected in lottery will get email on attorney email address about selection immediately with a receipt number. Premium processing fees will be refunded for un-selected cases.

H1B April 2019 lottery Premium processing cases will get H1B approval by June 4th.

If you did not file in premium processing and receive a receipt notice, your employer can upgrade to premium processing on or after May 20th as long as your petition requested a change of status.

H1B Grace Period – 60 days

If you lose your job, you have 60 days grace to find another H1B sponsor. You can start working immediately based on receipt on or before 60th day.

USCIS H1B 240 Day Rule

You can keep working after 240 days of i94 expiry if your H1B has been filed as Amendment + Extension or as transfer.

If your case is pending for approval with USCIS and your 240 days after i94 expiry are fast approaching, we strongly recommend to upgrade your application to ‘Premium Processing’ at 200 day mark. This will help you get a result before your 240 day limit and avoid stopping work.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

1. mura_bee
    mura_bee

Question for you, I am waitin for my H1B transfer (regular processing) to a new employer.

Paperwork was submitted during mid Jan 2019 to California center. I received a receipt number for the case.
    My case was issued a RFE on Feb 25th. RFE response was mailed back to the administration in second week of April 2019, without Premium processing.

would you be able to advise on the timeline?

Thank you.

Hi @Lavanya_Kumari
    You can expect your H1B approval by July 2019 first week end.

Hi @vg100
    It is taking about 4-30 days to get H1B receipt if filed in regular processing.

Premium processing gets receipt number within 1 day.

4. vg100
    vg100

Got it! Thanks @Anil.Gupta!

Hi @cpn
    You should raise a USCIS service request to know the status of your case.

2,090 Useful Questions & Answers

1. sam
    sam 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

my company filed H1B extension on October 31st to California service center and case was transferred to Nebraska Service center on December 18th.When can we expect the decision ? upgrading premium will help ?

You can expect decision on or before June end.

If you are eligible, then yes, upgrading to premium will speed up the process.

2. Vijay Sharma
    Vijay Sharma 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

The Good news is my h1 transfer got transferred to Vermont from CSC is approved today but unfortunately they have given me approval until my work authorization (that was till April 2019) now employer looking for an extension and can they use premium processing for this extension to get approval until my H1 max out.

Also my family is in india and is it safe for my wife to travel back on current approval?

Wow..congratulations on the approval.
      Yes, your employer can file the H1B extension in premium as it would most probably be a ‘no change’ extension.

You have to tell me more information about your wife H4 visa validity.

If she has valid H4 stamp, she can travel and enter USA with no issues.
      When she is in USA, you have to file for her H4 extension as well along with your H1B extension.

Does that answer your question?

• Vijay Sharma
        Vijay Sharma 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

@SoanT:disqus Can i stay after April 2019 if the extension not come until that time in this case of extension (no change)?

You can stay in u.s. while your extension is pending and it was filed before your I-94 expiry.

• Vijay Sharma
        Vijay Sharma 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

My employer is starting my extension ASAP as i have valid approval until Apr 2019.

My Wife’s H4 VISA and I 94 is expired and was valid until March 2018 though. Can i raise a drop box request for her and get her visa stamping done and then she can travel back and ask for the H4 extension once she will in USA.

Yes, you can check if your wife is eligible for dropbox using this app:

You are actually too close to your current approval’s expiry and may just make in time if your wife moves fast enough and file everything within Feb.
          You may want to see H4 visa stamping checklist:

• Vijay Sharma
            Vijay Sharma 11 Feb, 19 at 8:11 am

Yes Anil. I can expedite the process to get everything ready in Feb also i checked in the Dropbox eligibility app and answers all the questions and found the attached approval that means she is eligible for drop box facility right? and also if i can expedite and complete the DS 160 form with all the required documents (for dropbox) then she can travel back without any hurdle?

If she can get H4 visa stamp before your current H1B approval expires, she can travel with no issues.

• Vijay Sharma
              Vijay Sharma 12 Feb, 19 at 3:50 pm

@@SoanT:disqus She might not have Marriage certificate and Employment verification letter – Original in original (as she is in India and these original i have in USA with me). Is copy of marriage Certificate and EVL is good enough for stamping?

Normally, the visa officer may not even ask to show these documents. But, we recommend to carry them in original as a precaution.
              I suggest to mail (by post) them to your wife.

3. srini
    srini 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil, My I-94 was expired on 1st Dec 2019, filed for transfer on 11th Sep 2018 at California, normal processing, it was transferred to Nebraska on 10th Jan. If transfer denied, I may have to stop work immediately, but how long I can stay to pickup? When the unlawful stay starts. Is it from the day of the i-94 expiry date or denial date or 60 days from i-94 expiry. I am still within the 240 days of I-94 expiry date (it will be around July end 2019). Please suggest.

The ‘Unlawful presence’ starts immediately on the day of denial by USCIS after i94 expiry.

4. Robin Dia
    Robin Dia 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil, My H1B transfer was filed on 23rd Jan 2019 at Vermont Service Center , when can i expect the decision in normal processing ?
    Also will the premium processing resume on Feb 19th , any update on that ?

5. Arya Manna
    Arya Manna 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

hi anil, my company is refusing to file h1b extension (no changes) in premium even if I’m willing to pay the fee, citing reason such as premium is not advisable based my case and company documents. is it normal?

Your Employer is just making a foolish excuse.

• Arya Manna
        Arya Manna 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

They site the same reason for my i140 case as well. I feel like they are exploiting the situation. Is there a way to track i140 the same way as h1b? It’s been pending for three months.

6. SAKR
    SAKR 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

My H1b filed on Oct-18 and I-94 expires on Oct-30. On Dec-18-2018 my case was transferred to Nebraska. When can i expect the decision on my case.

You can expect decision by April.

7. Sanjay Gupta
    Sanjay Gupta 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi, My H1B extension and amendment was filled on Feb 2018. On December 2018, it is transferred to Nebraska service center. My current was expired on August 2018. How soon can my case be processed and also, will I be able to work even after 240 days if it is still not processed?

8. Goutham
    Goutham 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil, is there a way H1B extension and H1B transfer petition are treated differently? Is the general conception that transfer petition will get decision faster than extension petition is true? If so, why?

I am not aware of any such conception.
      As per my experience, all applications are treated equal.

9. mathi1b
    mathi1b 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi , My L1 expired and I have I94 valid for another 2 year., Can i continue to work ., without apply for extension

Your question is not clear.

What has expired?
      Your L1 visa stamp or L1 i797 approval?

• mathi1b
        mathi1b 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

my L1 Visa/I-129S is expired , but I797 is life time valid it looks

Generally, if your i129S has expired and i94 is still valid, you should have filed for L1 extension before the visa expiry.
          i94 may have been given longer expiry by mistake.

I suggest to talk to your employer’s attorney and check if your status in USA is still valid or not.

• mathi1b
            mathi1b 11 Feb, 19 at 8:04 am

thanks Anil

10. Sandeep
    Sandeep 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

My H1b Amendment + Extension was filed on Aug-31 2018. My I-94 expired on Sep-2 2018. The case was initially filed in California Service center. On Dec-11-2018 my case was transferred to Nebraska. When can i expect the decision on my case.

You should expect decision by March end.

• Sandeep
        Sandeep 9 Feb, 19 at 2:09 pm

Thanks. With Premium processing starting Feb 19th will it delay the normal processing dates (of March end )?

If premium processing resumes on Feb 20, 2019, it will possibly increase the regular processing timelines.