Current H4 Processing Time 2019 – California, Vermont

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  26 Apr, 19

H4 change of Status Processing Time 2019

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus

Extension of stay for H and L dependentsLIN19098*****22 Feb, 19
2 month 3 days
14 Nov, 18
5 month 13 days
Updated: 5:59 CST Next Update: 8:59 CST

Related: Current H1B processing times 2018 – Nebraska, California, Vermont

The H4 extension and change of status processing time mentioned above are same for L dependent visas too. H4 is a dependent visa for H1B workers in USA. H4 EAD processing time is available here.

H4 Processing Time 2018 – Updated daily

The H4 processing time data, updated daily, is collected using official USCIS data and H4 extension / Change of status processing time shared on various user driven online trackers and forums.

Is H4 Stamping outside USA faster than H1B extension within USA?

Yes, at this time, the H4 stamping outside USA in US embassy using H1B approved i797 is much faster way to get H4. If you are planning to move to H4 using Change of status application, it is better to go out of USA and get it stamped in passport.

H4 visa stamping convert from H-1B eligible for Dropbox in US embassy?

Yes, you may be eligible. Check your Dropbox eligibility for India.

Travel outside USA when H4 extension is pending?

Normally, you should NOT travel while your H4 extension is pending. But, the GOOD thing with dependent visa is that if you travel, you can directly go to US embassy for interview and get H4 stamped. In that case, you would NOT need the H4 extension application that you have filed (and is pending) in US.

H4 processing time - Updated Daily
H4 processing time – Updated Daily

Find more H4 questions and reliable answers on TruVisa.com.

USA USCIS Processing Time

40 Questions & Answers

1. Confused applicant
    Confused applicant 27 Mar, 19 at 11:39 pm

Hi Anil ,
    Looks like the H4 EAD approval is faster than COS to H4 at most of the centers .
    What might be the scenario if H4 EAD is under processing but COS to H4 is still pending?
    Thank you in advance.

Anil Gupta 28 Mar, 19 at 7:10 am

You will still have to wait for H4 COS to be approved before you can start using H4 EAD.

2. Sumeet
    Sumeet 16 Mar, 19 at 3:26 pm

Hi,

I am planning to file H1 transfer in premium along with H4 COS from F1 and EAD. Do you think they will process all the applications together? I have already filed H4 COS separately and according to the current timelines I will receive it by April last week(filed it on Jan 2nd).
    Thanks in advance for the reply.

I do not understand your question. You are planning to file H1B and H4 at the same time for yourself? How?

• Sumeet
        Sumeet 17 Mar, 19 at 2:13 am

No Anil. Its H1B transfer of spouse along with my H4 COS and EAD in premium.

Anil Gupta 17 Mar, 19 at 3:22 am

You can file H4 COS along with your H1B transfer but you won’t be able to get result for H4 within premium timeline of 15 days due to the new H4 Biometric requirement.

It is better you keep your other H4 COS active if it is destined to get result by April.

3. H4_1st time_applicant
    H4_1st time_applicant 7 Mar, 19 at 4:40 pm

Hello,
    My F1 to H4 COS and H4 EAD received date is 15th November at Nebraska Center. When do you think my applications will get accepted?
    Also, thanks a ton Anil for these extremely helpful sites!

You can expect your H4 COS approval anytime now at Nebraska service center.

4. Angel Paul
    Angel Paul 7 Mar, 19 at 1:28 pm

Hi,
    My H4 extension and EAD receipt date is Jan4 2019 at Nebraska service center. Do you have any idea how long I would have to wait. Thanks.

You can expect your H4 extension approval by April 2019 end.

• Angel Paul
        Angel Paul 7 Mar, 19 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for answering.

5. H4EAD
    H4EAD 6 Mar, 19 at 12:13 pm

Primary applicant, Petitioner and receipt number for Ds-160?

Hello, I am currently applying for my H4 stamping in india. My H4 was approved while I was in the USA. Should I mention my receipt number on the form? and what should be primary applicant? me or my husband?

You are the primary applicant of your H4 visa stamp. Your application is dependent on your spouse’s H1B.

H4 petition was approved in US and not H4 visa. Visa stamp is given by US embassy which you are applying for now.

• H4EAD
        H4EAD 6 Mar, 19 at 1:53 pm

That makes sense, just to reiterate:

Principle Applicant’s Name: My self
        Principle Applicant’s Visa Class: H4
        Petitioner name: My husband’s company
        Receipt Number: my husbands’s i797 number

6. Sumeet
    Sumeet 1 Mar, 19 at 7:12 pm

I have added my case above and filed COS on Jan 2nd for H4 along with EAD. Is it better to wait or get H4 stamped from India and the apply for EAD?

Thanks for answering.

It is better to apply for H4 visa stamp from India and then apply for EAD. As this time, H4 COS is taking 10+ months easily.

• Sumeet
        Sumeet 2 Mar, 19 at 12:55 pm

But the California center shows 4 months 15 days above.
        Also how are the chances of approval if we stamp in India?

H4 chances of approval are good. It is probably the most safe visa to get.

7. Aparna Balagoni
    Aparna Balagoni 26 Feb, 19 at 8:19 pm

We filed h1+h4+ead renewal with employer A on oct26,2018 in normal processing. It went to Vermont. And h1 petition got RFE, we have submitted Response but attorney doesn’t upgraded to premium yet.
    My husband also got FT offer from employer B and applied h1(transfer) +h4 with employer B. Employer B upgraded it premium and we got approval for 3 years for h1 & h4.

My EAD expires on April2nd and am working.

My Question is

1. Can I make an expedite request for h4 EAD Renewal which i submitted with employer A with the h4 approval notice from employer B?
    2. By the time we concurrently filed h1+h4 with employer B, we have not filed EAD Renewal and on Feb 21 attorney filed another h4 ead renewal and he said it will go to pheonix Center. Do we have a processing center at Phoenix? (if expedite request is not approved in Step1, can I have a chance to expedite h4 ead filed on feb 21? )

You cannot send new documents for existing application unless USCIS issues an RFE and asks for them.
      You can file an H4 EAD expedite request but chances are very low that it will be accepted. Try with your local congressman and you may get lucky.

Phoenix is just the lock-box address. USCIS routes the H4 EAD application to other centers after receiving them at Phoenix.

8. Icaurus
    Icaurus 21 Feb, 19 at 1:21 pm

I am currently on h4 status which expires by mid of march. My H1b petition filed last year is still pending with USCIS and am waiting for my decision. Now if I file for an H4 extension, will this effect my H1 decision? In case, i get my H1- b approved before my h4 extension is processed, will my h1 status be updated with H4? Please help me understand this as I dont want to run out of status or jeopardize my H1 application in anyway.

It is better that you upgrade your pending H1B application with premium processing and avoid all other hassles of filing H4 extension.
      You will definitely introduce complications to your status if you file H4 extension now.

Both H1B and H4 can co-exist and can reach result. But, the last application to be approved will take effect.

9. DS
    DS 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

I applied for H1B to H4 COS in 2018 July at Vermont Centre. Status is still showed as case received. Was wondering if it is going to take an year. Can you shed some light on the wait times for COS at VC

H4 change of status is taking forever these days. Today’s processing time is about 13 months on average.
      The above mentioned processing times are updated every 3 hours after scanning USCIS official data and from other user driven forums.

So, it is taking over an year to get status result.
      The faster way is to go out of US and get H4 stamping at US embassy.

10. H4EAD
    H4EAD 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

I applied for my H4 COS and H4-EAD together at California Center on 27th Sep. My current EAD is expiring on 27th January, 2019. What are my chances to receive my EAD before that? What are my options to expedite it?

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

The chances are low to get H4 COS approval before 27 Jan, 2019. And H4 EAD cannot be approved unless H4 is approved.

The expedite request has very low chances too. If you want to try, here are the details:

• H4EAD
        H4EAD 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Thank you for the quick response. The current processing time is 4 month 14 days as above mentioned. so does it mean I should have my H4 by mid feb and than they will process my EAD?

Ya. .should be.

• Sumeet
      Sumeet 1 Mar, 19 at 9:35 pm

Did you receive your H4 and EAD?

• H4EAD
        H4EAD 6 Mar, 19 at 2:04 pm

Hey, Yes! I received it on 20th Jan

• Sumeet
          Sumeet 6 Mar, 19 at 2:56 pm

Hey did you receive it together or did it take time for EAD?

• H4EAD
            H4EAD 6 Mar, 19 at 4:45 pm

No, both were received at the same time

11. rabbitd
    rabbitd 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

How did you know your case got approved when online case status doesn’t reflect that?

12. Anil Gupta
    Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

Thanks for sharing the case status and details.
    Do you have a question that we can help with?