i-485 Green Card Processing Time 2019 – Employment, Family Based

8 Sep, 19

Current i485 processing time for employment based green card is 10 month to 4 year at California Service Center.

USCIS Nebraska and Texas service centers are processing adjustment of status to Permanent Resident applications faster than California within 10 months to 2 year.

You file i485 application for Green Card when you are present in USA either in Employment based or family based immigration.

CALIFORNIA Fastest Approved Case Raise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 2 year 3 month
Employment-based adjustment applicationsReceipt: 10 Dec, 18
Approved in 9 month 2 days
22 Sep, 17
Slowest case approval in 1 year 11 month

NEBRASKA Fastest Approved Case Raise USCIS SR Date
Under HRIFA, Indochinese Adjustment Act, Legal Immigration and Family Equity Act, or NACARAReceipt: 05 Apr, 18
Approved in 1 year 5 month
Slowest case approval in 3 year 4 month
Based on refugee admission more than 1 year agoReceipt: 10 Dec, 18
Approved in 9 month 2 days
19 Aug, 18
Slowest case approval in 1 year

Adjustment of Status Processing time

Green card adjustment of status form i485 processing time is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real applicants in various forums and trackers online.

Travelling while i485 application is pending is not recommended if you do not have any other valid visa to re-enter USA.

I-485 Concurrent Filing with I-130

Form I-485 is also the next step in the family-based green card process after submitting Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). If the sponsored husband or wife is present in the United States, you can file I-130 and I-485 together as “concurrent” application.

Did you know that you can get Amazon prime $5.99/mo for EBT card holders?

Electronic benefit transfer (EBT) is an electronic system that allows state welfare departments to issue benefits via a magnetically encoded payment card.

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date (worst case) mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

USA USCIS Processing Time

87 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Eran
    Eran 16 Apr, 19 at 10:11 pm

my wife was a J1 and i was a J2 with my son. June 2017 my wife’s i 130 religious worker was approved and we all filed for i-485. it is now at taxes office.

January 2019 we got an RFE for medical’s from texas. sent and received January 31st. website still says “RFE received”.

problem is, my wife lost her job today. she will still be paid until July, but we do not know what to do… do you think there is a chance we will be approved soon? (we never had an interview or got an invite for one).

thanks,

Eran

Anil Gupta 17 Apr, 19 at 7:41 am

The chances are good that you may get an interview call if your priority date is current.

2. Volkan
    Volkan 5 Apr, 19 at 4:27 pm

hi Anil,

Very helpful website. Thank you for your time and effort.

I currently have a pending I-485 at Texas Service Center for an EB2 employer sponsored green card application. I-140/I-485 was concurrently filed in August 2018, I-140 premium processed ad approved in early Sep 2018, and EAD/AP arrived in October 2018. Lately I noticed the receipt dates are either not moving or going backwards at TSC. I wanted to check if you had and estimate in terms of when I should expect to have an interview and get the green card approval.

Thanks in advance
    Volkan

Anil Gupta 5 Apr, 19 at 4:41 pm

I have stopped giving any individual estimates. Please use the processing times given above for an approximate timeline for your case.

3. Igor
    Igor 25 Mar, 19 at 10:44 pm

Hello everybody.
    My wife and I are in the process of I-485.
    We filed the papers separately (when she filed her papers we were not married). Her receipt date is Dec 2017 and mine is Feb 2019. she’s now waiting for the interview and I’m waiting for the fingerprints.
    Question – she is handled in Texas and I’m in California.

Should I call USCIS and tell them that we are handled in different centers?
    We would love to have the interview together.

Thanks for your amazing website and effort!

Anil Gupta 26 Mar, 19 at 7:55 am

You can try to call USCIS and check if they honor your request.

4. Diana
    Diana 24 Mar, 19 at 2:43 pm

Hello everybody. I am in the process of I-485 based on asylum granted. Receipt day is October 15 2018 in Nebraska centre. Still waiting… Wondering why some of the people I know applied at the same time as me and already got approved and I am still waiting=( Any ideas how the order goes?
    And another question does change to “Fingerprint review completed” means something or nothing? And how long should I expect to wait after this.

Thank you very much!

I see that it is taking about 2 years for asylum based EADs to get approved at Nebraska service center.

• Diana
        Diana 24 Mar, 19 at 4:25 pm

I am not waiting EAD. I am waiting for a green card at this point.

Sorry, i mistakenly wrote EAD instead of Green Card.

• Diana
            Diana 24 Mar, 19 at 4:25 pm

hm… I thought that the average time is around 5 month to be approved. Even in this tracker it says 7 month… maybe I am looking at the wrong place

That’s the best case scenario and not the average time.

5. NSB540
    NSB540 20 Mar, 19 at 6:08 pm

Hello Anil, Usually how long would it take to get the RFE receipt sent by USCIS. My case has been updated with RFE on 16th, Mar. Still didn’t received the receipt letter, wondering how long would it take.

It can take anywhere between 7-21 days for RFE notice to arrive by USPS mail.

6. Nazim
    Nazim 19 Mar, 19 at 6:43 pm

hello we had our interview in Feb 2019 and IO said will send us RFE its been a more than a month can we do somthing or how long do we wait ?

There is no fixed timeline for this kind of case.

7. Marjorie
    Marjorie 17 Mar, 19 at 8:20 am

How come the timeline for NBC isn’t listed here? My priority date is dec 5 for i485 and it changed to ready to schedule for interview, i130 and i765 and they’re both still stuck on case was received. Do you know when I’ll be able to get my EAD? This is marriage based

What is your i485 receipt number? The first 3 letters specify the USCIS service center.

• Marjorie
        Marjorie 18 Mar, 19 at 7:45 am

It’s MSC for everything

Anil Gupta 18 Mar, 19 at 8:14 am

Sorry, we do not have data for MSC center.

8. Renato WH
    Renato WH 16 Mar, 19 at 10:04 am

Hi Anil, very helpful the website. I had my interview for Employment Base in Charlotte NC on August 2nd 2018, right now the status is “Interview completed, but your case must be reviewed”. My question is, Which location issue the Green Card, local office like Charlotte or Texas/Vermont? Thank you.

I am not sure which location will issue the Green Card.

9. Gordon
    Gordon 12 Mar, 19 at 10:10 pm

Thank you for maintaining this. I filed for i485 EAD concurrently with i765. MSC received my case on 10/05/2018 but no update after case was scheduled for interview was posted on 11/7/2018. I tried to raise SR but USCIS website says that its currently within posted processing times even though its been over 5 months since RD. Should I expect an EAD approval in my mail soon? Thanks

You i485 EAD should be approved by March 2019 end as per my estimate.

• Denil Patel
        Denil Patel 15 Mar, 19 at 7:30 am

Hello,

I called USCIS to check myI485 being processed at NBC, PD 9/10/18 and they said it is out of processing time. They asked me raise an SR. Do you know what are the I 485 processing times for NBC? Thank you.

Processing times are mentioned above. Please check yourself.

10. NSB540
    NSB540 11 Mar, 19 at 7:20 pm

My PD is January 24, 2018 In EB1C – Concurrent filing, I-140 approved on September, 2018. The recent updates received were a). my PD is current on Feb 8th, 2019 (received a note from my Lawfirm) b). my case has been transferred to NBC on Feb 21st, 2019.

The questions are :

1. How long would it take to schedule interview for my application
    2. How long the GC process will take, any tentative dates
    3. My 797 going to expire on September 30th, 2019. Considering this what options do i have? apply for L1 extenation only or apply L1 extension, EAD & Advance Parole?
    4. Also another question is, can i apply for EAD on pending I-485 (as my I-140 is approved)?

Please suggest…

Thanks in advance.

Currently, it is taking 2-3 months to get GC interview call for EB1-C cases.
      You can apply for EAD/AP based on pending i485.

• NSB540
        NSB540 12 Mar, 19 at 2:11 am

Thanks for your response. I am the principal I-485 applicant, can i still appy for EAD/AP? The reason for asking is that i find different answers as i have to apply for L1 extension and along with it apply for AP. Not sure of this and had confusion. Plz provide more details. Thanks.

Anil Gupta 12 Mar, 19 at 11:18 am

Your question is out of scope of this article. Hence, I have added it to our forum and answered there.

You can ask follow up questions on forum itself. We answer within 1-24 hours.

11. Pete
    Pete 11 Mar, 19 at 9:34 pm

Hello Anil your forum is very helpful for us, i have question i filed employment based (EB3) i765, i131 and i485 concurrent file in oct 15, 2018. My i140 approved and I got EAD card already. i485 transfered to NBC from TSC on nov 17, 2018 haven’t hear anything after that. Do you know how long it will take more to scheduel interview.

Is your priority date current right now?

• Pete
        Pete 11 Mar, 19 at 9:50 pm

Yes sir

Then, I do not have an estimate for EB3 interview call at this time. Will try to check and reply soon.
          The interview call also depends a lot on your location and the availability at your local USCIS office.

12. Nutan
    Nutan 11 Mar, 19 at 12:50 pm

My PD is July 22, 2010 in EB3. When will USCIS start accepting Date of Filing for I485 filing?

Nutan

Is it family based or employment based?
      Date of filing chart is currently not available for use. I do not know when will it re-opened again.

13. JS
    JS 1 Mar, 19 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for your help

NBC received my I485 along with EAD/AP on 2nov18,
    What is my expected date of interview?

JS

Anil Gupta 2 Mar, 19 at 8:10 am

Normally, the interviews are scheduled within 2-3 months but the time varies by your location and the availability at the interview center.

• JS
        JS 2 Mar, 19 at 11:00 am

got it. This is Eb1A and new york location. Any idea how long can that take?

Anil Gupta 2 Mar, 19 at 11:00 am

I don’t have data about interview schedules at this time.

14. steve
    steve 1 Mar, 19 at 2:13 pm

Hello Anil

My interview was on 9/24/2018 and it transferred to TEXAS SERVICE CENTER on 10/04/18.

what is my expected date to get GC in hand?
    (EB3, KOREA, LOCAL USCIS is Montgomery)

What was the result of i485 Green card interview?

• steve
        steve 4 Mar, 19 at 8:09 am

They told me, it will be approved ….

15. jong
    jong 28 Feb, 19 at 10:24 am

Hello Anil

My i485 case was received by USCIS on 12/31/18 (receipt date).
    and It transferred to NBC on 1/28/2019

what is my expected date for interview?
    (EB3, 140approved, finger is done, Montgomery is local uscis for my case)

• jong
      jong 28 Feb, 19 at 10:24 am

and i am from korea

You can expect to get interview call within 2-3 months.

• jong
          jong 28 Feb, 19 at 11:36 am

after It transferred to NBC? or RD?

After it transferred to NBC.

• jong
              jong 28 Feb, 19 at 1:02 pm

Thank you sir!

16. eb3
    eb3 26 Feb, 19 at 5:14 pm

hello anil sir
    we had our interview on employment based green card on feb 13 2019 however their was a page missing from our form and IO said she will issue us RFE for the same in 10 bussiness days, Any idea how long will it take for IO to respond after we send a response to RFE.

There is no fixed time frame for IO to respond that I know of.

17. XYZ4321
    XYZ4321 11 Feb, 19 at 8:04 am

Hi Anil Gupta –

I see that your insights in this forum are really helpful. Below I have mentioned my specific situation, and then listed the questions I have. I would really appreciate any insights from people who have faced or know of a similar situation and its impact.
    Status if lost my job after EB1C I-485 Interview and waiting for GC approval

SITUATION:
    (1) Came on L1A in Jan 2016 with wife on L2
    (2) I-140 filed for me and spouse in Jun 2017 and approved in July 2018.
    (3) EB1C I-485 filed for both of us in last quarter of 2017,
    (4) Both of us received GC EAD in Apr 2018 for 1 year
    (5) Green card interview happened on 4th Feb 2019 for both of us. Officer said no issues but since priority date was not current, he cannot currently approve the green card on the spot. (Priority date is jun 2017 and current final action date as per Feb bulletin is feb 2017, thus a backlog of 4 months)
    (6) On 8th Feb, my firm did a mass layoff and I was also impacted by this systemic decision. The notice period is 2 weeks and the current job is until 22 feb 2019.
    (7) My wife is still working on GC EAD which is valid for both of us until 4th April 2019

QUESTIONS
    (A) Would I and my wife be in status after I lose my job (we are planning to file for GC EAD renewal before the current one expires)?
    (B) Would it be an issue if it takes some time for me to get a new offer after losing the current job?
    (C) Would my situation impact my wife’s job in any way?

## Status after losing job with i485 pending
      You will be in ‘period of authorized stay’ after your job is lost and your i485 is pending.

## L2 Spouse status after primary job loss
      Your spouse can keep working using her i485 EAD even after you lose your job.

## New Job Offer
      You will need to get a new job offer quickly if you want to apply for i485 pending EAD.
      You can stay in US while your i485 is pending but can only work if you either have valid work visa like L1 or H1B or an EAD.

Let me know if you have more questions.

• XYZ4321
        XYZ4321 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for your response Anil – truly appreciated

18. GGG
    GGG 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil – are the employment based processing times getting longer? Recall they were around 6mo. but now look like 9mo. thanks!

Yes, processing times are increasing every month due to high number of cases being filed.
      It looks like pretty soon, USCIS will start publishing priority dates for H1B too , the way they do it for Green card!

19. mic
    mic 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

Our i485 case was received by USCIS on 9/29/17 (receipt date). We had our interview with a immigration officer on 8/30, due to retrogression case was sent to Texas. We are still waiting for any updates. What is the average wait time for cases like ours affected by retrogression?

I do not have data to share the average wait time for this scenario at this time.

20. Sagar K
    Sagar K 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

My sibling is US Citizen. I have H1B Visa and live in US also I got I 140. Can I apply I 130 Concurrent Filing I485? Please suggest

Unfortunately, the answer is NO.
      Since, a brother of US citizen is NOT considered an immediate family member, you have to wait for your priority date to be current to file I-485.

First, you brother needs to file I-130 and secure a priority date for you and then wait for your date to get current in Visa Bulletin.

Going by your name, I assume you are from India. If yes, then you have a Loooong wait there too.
      In Dec 2018 visa bulletin, the Indian family (F4 – your case) current priority date is 8 Jun 2004.

So, you are pretty much in the same boat as your H1B!
      There is no harm in applying for I-130 though as it gives you an extra option to be in the GC race.

• Sagar K