i-485 Green Card Processing Time 2019 – Employment, Family Based

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  23 May, 19

Current i485 processing time
Current i485 processing time

Current i485 processing time for employment based green card is 10 month to 4 year at California Service Center.

USCIS Nebraska and Texas service centers are processing adjustment of status to Permanent Resident applications faster than California within 10 months to 2 year.

You file i485 application for Green Card when you are present in USA either in Employment based or family based immigration.

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus

Employment-based adjustment applications28 Jun, 18
10 month 29 days
02 Mar, 17
2 year 2 month
Updated: 17:30 CST Next Update: 20:30 CST

NEBRASKAApproved Case Receipt DateUSCIS Service Request
Under HRIFA, Indochinese Adjustment Act, Legal Immigration and Family Equity Act, or NACARA28 Jul, 17
1 year 9 month
Based on refugee admission more than 1 year ago26 Aug, 18
9 month
26 Jun, 18
11 month 1 days
Updated: 17:30 CST Next Update: 20:30 CST

Adjustment of Status Processing time

Green card adjustment of status form i485 processing time is updated daily using the official USCIS processing times and data shared by real applicants in various forums and trackers online.

Travelling while i485 application is pending is not recommended if you do not have any other valid visa to re-enter USA.

I-485 Concurrent Filing with I-130

Form I-485 is also the next step in the family-based green card process after submitting Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). If the sponsored husband or wife is present in the United States, you can file I-130 and I-485 together as “concurrent” application.

Did you know that you can get Amazon prime $5.99/mo for EBT card holders?

Electronic benefit transfer (EBT) is an electronic system that allows state welfare departments to issue benefits via a magnetically encoded payment card.

Case Outside Normal Processing Time

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date (worst case) mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

Consular Proc = Visa (Stamp or visa foil) to be issued outside USA in a US Embassy.

73 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Eran
    Eran 16 Apr, 19 at 10:11 pm

my wife was a J1 and i was a J2 with my son. June 2017 my wife’s i 130 religious worker was approved and we all filed for i-485. it is now at taxes office.

January 2019 we got an RFE for medical’s from texas. sent and received January 31st. website still says “RFE received”.

problem is, my wife lost her job today. she will still be paid until July, but we do not know what to do… do you think there is a chance we will be approved soon? (we never had an interview or got an invite for one).

thanks,

Eran

Anil Gupta 17 Apr, 19 at 7:41 am

The chances are good that you may get an interview call if your priority date is current.

2. Volkan
    Volkan 5 Apr, 19 at 4:27 pm

hi Anil,

Very helpful website. Thank you for your time and effort.

I currently have a pending I-485 at Texas Service Center for an EB2 employer sponsored green card application. I-140/I-485 was concurrently filed in August 2018, I-140 premium processed ad approved in early Sep 2018, and EAD/AP arrived in October 2018. Lately I noticed the receipt dates are either not moving or going backwards at TSC. I wanted to check if you had and estimate in terms of when I should expect to have an interview and get the green card approval.

Thanks in advance
    Volkan

Anil Gupta 5 Apr, 19 at 4:41 pm

I have stopped giving any individual estimates. Please use the processing times given above for an approximate timeline for your case.

3. Igor
    Igor 25 Mar, 19 at 10:44 pm

Hello everybody.
    My wife and I are in the process of I-485.
    We filed the papers separately (when she filed her papers we were not married). Her receipt date is Dec 2017 and mine is Feb 2019. she’s now waiting for the interview and I’m waiting for the fingerprints.
    Question – she is handled in Texas and I’m in California.

Should I call USCIS and tell them that we are handled in different centers?
    We would love to have the interview together.

Thanks for your amazing website and effort!

Anil Gupta 26 Mar, 19 at 7:55 am

You can try to call USCIS and check if they honor your request.

4. Diana
    Diana 24 Mar, 19 at 2:43 pm

Hello everybody. I am in the process of I-485 based on asylum granted. Receipt day is October 15 2018 in Nebraska centre. Still waiting… Wondering why some of the people I know applied at the same time as me and already got approved and I am still waiting=( Any ideas how the order goes?
    And another question does change to “Fingerprint review completed” means something or nothing? And how long should I expect to wait after this.

Thank you very much!

I see that it is taking about 2 years for asylum based EADs to get approved at Nebraska service center.

• Diana
        Diana 24 Mar, 19 at 4:25 pm

I am not waiting EAD. I am waiting for a green card at this point.

Sorry, i mistakenly wrote EAD instead of Green Card.

• Diana
            Diana 24 Mar, 19 at 4:25 pm

hm… I thought that the average time is around 5 month to be approved. Even in this tracker it says 7 month… maybe I am looking at the wrong place

That’s the best case scenario and not the average time.

5. NSB540
    NSB540 20 Mar, 19 at 6:08 pm

Hello Anil, Usually how long would it take to get the RFE receipt sent by USCIS. My case has been updated with RFE on 16th, Mar. Still didn’t received the receipt letter, wondering how long would it take.

It can take anywhere between 7-21 days for RFE notice to arrive by USPS mail.

6. Nazim
    Nazim 19 Mar, 19 at 6:43 pm

hello we had our interview in Feb 2019 and IO said will send us RFE its been a more than a month can we do somthing or how long do we wait ?

There is no fixed timeline for this kind of case.

7. Marjorie
    Marjorie 17 Mar, 19 at 8:20 am

How come the timeline for NBC isn’t listed here? My priority date is dec 5 for i485 and it changed to ready to schedule for interview, i130 and i765 and they’re both still stuck on case was received. Do you know when I’ll be able to get my EAD? This is marriage based

What is your i485 receipt number? The first 3 letters specify the USCIS service center.

• Marjorie
        Marjorie 18 Mar, 19 at 7:45 am

It’s MSC for everything

Anil Gupta 18 Mar, 19 at 8:14 am

Sorry, we do not have data for MSC center.

8. Renato WH
    Renato WH 16 Mar, 19 at 10:04 am

Hi Anil, very helpful the website. I had my interview for Employment Base in Charlotte NC on August 2nd 2018, right now the status is “Interview completed, but your case must be reviewed”. My question is, Which location issue the Green Card, local office like Charlotte or Texas/Vermont? Thank you.

I am not sure which location will issue the Green Card.

9. Gordon
    Gordon 12 Mar, 19 at 10:10 pm

Thank you for maintaining this. I filed for i485 EAD concurrently with i765. MSC received my case on 10/05/2018 but no update after case was scheduled for interview was posted on 11/7/2018. I tried to raise SR but USCIS website says that its currently within posted processing times even though its been over 5 months since RD. Should I expect an EAD approval in my mail soon? Thanks

You i485 EAD should be approved by March 2019 end as per my estimate.

• Denil Patel
        Denil Patel 15 Mar, 19 at 7:30 am

Hello,

I called USCIS to check myI485 being processed at NBC, PD 9/10/18 and they said it is out of processing time. They asked me raise an SR. Do you know what are the I 485 processing times for NBC? Thank you.

Processing times are mentioned above. Please check yourself.

10. NSB540
    NSB540 11 Mar, 19 at 7:20 pm

My PD is January 24, 2018 In EB1C – Concurrent filing, I-140 approved on September, 2018. The recent updates received were a). my PD is current on Feb 8th, 2019 (received a note from my Lawfirm) b). my case has been transferred to NBC on Feb 21st, 2019.

The questions are :

1. How long would it take to schedule interview for my application
    2. How long the GC process will take, any tentative dates
    3. My 797 going to expire on September 30th, 2019. Considering this what options do i have? apply for L1 extenation only or apply L1 extension, EAD & Advance Parole?
    4. Also another question is, can i apply for EAD on pending I-485 (as my I-140 is approved)?

Please suggest…

Thanks in advance.

Currently, it is taking 2-3 months to get GC interview call for EB1-C cases.
      You can apply for EAD/AP based on pending i485.

• NSB540
        NSB540 12 Mar, 19 at 2:11 am

Thanks for your response. I am the principal I-485 applicant, can i still appy for EAD/AP? The reason for asking is that i find different answers as i have to apply for L1 extension and along with it apply for AP. Not sure of this and had confusion. Plz provide more details. Thanks.

Anil Gupta 12 Mar, 19 at 11:18 am

Your question is out of scope of this article. Hence, I have added it to our forum and answered there.

You can ask follow up questions on forum itself. We answer within 1-24 hours.