Current EAD Processing Time 2019 – H4, L2, I-485 Green Card

19 Sep, 19

USCIS EAD Processing Time

H4 EAD processing time 1 month at Vermont to 5 month at California service center.

i485 EAD processing time is 2 to 6 month at National benefits center.

How long does it take for EAD to come? The answer is the processing time vary for EAD applications filed on form i-765 for different types of employment authorizations.

The most recent EAD approval found using data from user driven online forums are merged with USCIS official data to give you a reliable average EAD processing time.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 1 year 3 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / OthersEAC19222***** Receipt: 19 Aug, 19
Approved in 1 month 1 days
22 Apr, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

TEXASFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
F-1 OPT EAD (Pre-Completion, Post-completion, STEM) - C(3)19207***** Receipt: 29 Jul, 19
Approved in 1 month 22 days
Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19207***** Receipt: 29 Jul, 19
Approved in 1 month 22 days
22 Apr, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

NEBRASKAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
Based on an approved asylum application [(a)(5)]LIN19208***** Receipt: 30 Jul, 19
Approved in 1 month 21 days
Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / OthersLIN19208***** Receipt: 30 Jul, 19
Approved in 1 month 21 days
22 Apr, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

POTOMACFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
F-1 OPT EAD (Pre-Completion, Post-completion, STEM) - C(3)YSC19222***** Receipt: 19 Aug, 19
Approved in 1 month 1 days

Slowest case approval in 5 month 14 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19080***** Receipt: 28 Jan, 19
Approved in 7 month 24 days
06 Oct, 18
Slowest case approval in 11 month 18 days

Raise USCIS Case Service Request

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

USCIS allows you to ask for status update if your case is taking more than other cases and they call it ‘outside normal processing time’.

You can use USCIS case status check website to check the status of your EAD application with your USCIS receipt number.

EAD Card Delivery Time

You can expect your EAD card within 5-7 days once the status of your EAD application shows as ‘Card sent for printing’.

Your EAD is approved if your application status shows as new Card is Being Produced Meaning on USCIS website.

You cannot start working until you have received your EAD card. Card is delivered by USPS regular mail in your mailbox.

Make sure that you write your apartment number on i765 form correctly to avoid delivery issues later.

SSN Card Time After EAD Approval

The SSN card takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive after your EAD approval. You should have selected the SSN option on form I765 for automatic SSN application.

If not applied with EAD, you have to apply SSN separately after you receive your EAD card.
If SSN card is taking more time than 6 weeks, you can visit your local SSN office and apply a new SSD card yourself.

SSN office will be able to see if there is any existing pending application for you before applying a new one.

SSN is required to start working and get paid legally. Your ITIN may or may not be accepted by the employer.

Automatic EAD 180 Day Extension

USCIS has officially allowed many EADs categories to keep working if their current one expires and their extension application is pending.

You can apply for EAD extension 180 days before its expiry.

Example:

EAD Processing Time Dallas or Phoenix

There are no USCIS service centers named Dallas or Phoenix. You just send your applications to lock-boxes (mail box) located in Dallas and Phoenix.

After that, USCIS routes your EAD application to actual service center. Check your receipt number to find which service is processing your application.

EAD Processing Time after RFE

It usually takes 60-90 days to process and approve EAD application after you have submitted RFE response to USCIS. The count starts from day USCIS receives your RFE response.

Make sure your primary visa like H1B (or L) has at-least 6 months of validity before applying for dependent H4 EAD to avoid a certain RFE.

EAD USA

1. Priyanka
    Priyanka

My RD- 01/29/2019.
    Married to US citizen.
    Center-NBC.
    When do I expect my EAD card?
    Appreciate your help and work.
    Thanks.

Hi @sandya

We have not seen any H4 EAD approval after biometrics from Nebraska service center at this time.
    Hence, I do not have an estimate to share with you.

3. sapyard
    sapyard

@Anil.Gupta - Last two times I send for EAD applications I used to get email updates as well. And EAD got approved exactly within 90 days. I had sent separate form with email id. Strangely, this time I did not get any email updates… Just received one receipt number over postal mail.

Anything changed now?

Raju.

4. sai1
    sai1

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    i am on my H4 visa status, but my spouse i140 was filed in premium processing, receipt number was received on july 8th. So now the employer is planning to file for H1b extension, he has valid visa till feb 2020. so my question is can i apply for H4 ead with approved H4 visa or its better to apply along with my extension. I came to know the processing time for H4-EAD is 2-5 months. kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

5. BoomJosh
    BoomJosh

@Anil.Gupta
    Here you go, this works in chrome. In the given script change [colon] in url to :

Install the “Web Scraper” Chrome addin

• Import new sitemap
    • Enter this string
      appReceiptNum=MSC199020[1900-1999]”],“selectors”:[{“id”:“start”,“type”:“SelectorText”,“parentSelectors”:["_root"],“selector”:“h1”,“multiple”:false,“regex”:"",“delay”:0},{“id”:“te2”,“type”:“SelectorText”,“parentSelectors”:["_root"],“selector”:".rows p",“multiple”:false,“regex”:"",“delay”:0}]}

Modify the case number range for range of interest to you.

• Scrape and export data to your analytical tool of choice

1. Shefali Modi
    Shefali Modi 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

Just read on online forums that the application filed on September 26,2018 in California center are getting approved.My received date is September 18,2018 and till now no update.Are they randomly picking the applications?

Cases are processed in the order they are received.
      It is possible that your case is assigned to a case officer who still has some applications pending in his queue.
      That creates an impression that your application might not have been picked up.

• Shefali Modi
        Shefali Modi 9 Feb, 19 at 10:15 am

Shall i raise a concern for this or shall I wait for few more days?Any idea where I can raise the concern ?

You can only raise a service request with USCIS if your receipt date is older than the ”’Raise SR” date mentioned above.
          If not, then you can only wait.

2. Achal Shah
    Achal Shah 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

Does EAD require interview or it is something that comes in mail as soon as the case is accepted?

No interview required. eAD card comes in mail after it is approved.

3. Worried
    Worried 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

My ead on pending asylum has been approved since the 9th of Nov at the Texas service center. It’s the 14th dayt and no other update yet. It’s an initial application. Can you explain why its not gone to card being produced?

Don’t worry. You will get the card soon. The delay might be due to heavy workload.

4. Achal Shah
    Achal Shah 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

Thank you Anil its working now. I have a quick question, i filed for my wifes I485 she is on F1 visa and we got married in july. We filed for her AOS in August first week, and we got an RFE on I485. We have to travel to india in January mid, do you think she can will get her EAD/AP by december? Also can she go to india and i can take her EAD/AP card with me and she can come with me?

When did you receive the RFE? What date and which service center has the application gone to?

• Achal Shah
        Achal Shah 9 Feb, 19 at 10:14 am

I received the RFE on September 13th and application has gone to National Benefits Center. But the RFE is on I485, does it affect I131 or the travel document?

i485 RFE should not affect I-131 application.
          But, I strongly recommend to NOT travel unless the EAD/AP is approved.
          If your wife travels before her AP is approved, her AP will be abandoned automatically.

• Achal Shah
            Achal Shah 10 Feb, 19 at 12:29 pm

Great thank you. I am really hoping and crossing fingers that the EAD/AP comes. However if she decides to travels and her AP Is abandoned, will she not be allowed to enter in US ? what happens to her F1 status? Can she not enter using that visa? Apologies for asking this many questions as its frustrating and nerve wrecking

She will not be able to use her AP to re-enter as it will not be approved once she goes out of US.

She can use F1 visa to re-enter if it is still valid but there could be issues with “immigrant intent” as F1 is not a dual intent visa.
              Travelling is very risky in this case. I recommend to delay travel until AP is approved.

5. Guest
    Guest 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

Thanks for this lovely resource. Do you have the same information for Potomac center as well? I sent my J2 EAD application to Phoenix which then got routed to Potomac.

Sure. Wish Granted…just kidding.
      You will see it in couple (1-3) of hours!
      Just hard refresh the browser page (Ctrl+F5).

• Guest
        Guest 9 Feb, 19 at 10:14 am

Perfect. Thanks a lot again!!

6. shreshtha mundra
    shreshtha mundra 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

Hello, do you have a breakdown of California center, just for l2-EAD, or do all the ones in that group have similar timeline?

All of them have similar timelines.

7. Shwetha sunder
    Shwetha sunder 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

RFE – Requesting Help in Responding to L2 EAD Renewal

My employer had filed for L2 Extension and we personally filed for L2 EAD renewal in parallel. Both of the applications were filed on 28th Sep 2018. My L2 extension is assigned to California Center and my L2-EAD is assigned to Vermont Center as it is not submitted together.

Today, 08th Dec we have received an RFE on EAD extension. The RFE – requires for us to submit ‘Proof of Your Spouse’s H-1B NonImmigration Status’.

My questions is as below.
    1. My Spouse is on L1B visa. Should I submit the requested I797/I129S/I-94 pertaining to my Spouse’s L1 B visa though the request is for H1B? The RFE request for H1B non-immigrant is surely not applicable in my case.
    2. If I proceed with submitting the documents, should I mention anything about the discrepancy in RFE request?
    3. I have my l2 Extension Notice, should I send them along? The RFE does not ask for it, however should I tag it along?

PS: I haven’t received an L2 extension confirmation yet.

Request for your support and guidance.

I have replied to your same question in truvisa. We can continue the discussion and follow up questions there.

• Shwetha sunder
        Shwetha sunder 9 Feb, 19 at 10:11 am

I am following up on this post. I have my EAD approved and it’s mailed to me. I will get my card anytime soon. But my L2 is still not approved. Can I still resume with my work with my EAD ? If you remember I had a RFE for my EAD and I did not have any queries around my L2. The result turned out positive and it’s approved. But I don’t understand the impact of this on my employment eligibility . Please help

What did you submit as your RFE response?
          Also, What is the validity date on L2 EAD card?

• Shwetha sunder
            Shwetha sunder 10 Feb, 19 at 12:26 pm

As suggested and advised by you I attached my L2 documentation
            Also when I replied to RFE even though they did not ask about it.

I do not know the validity as I don’t have the card yet. Should get it by tomorrow

Ok..then, there can be two cases:
              1. Your L2 Extension is also approved and the status is not yet reflecting online.
              2. Your L2 EAD has been approved based on your old L2 validity.

You will know about it once you get the card. You can start working once you get the EAD card in your hand.

• Shwetha sunder
                Shwetha sunder 11 Feb, 19 at 1:50 pm

Anil,

1: My L1 is still in process and I called the USCIS to confirm.

2: My Old L2 expired on October 1st 2018 and my I94 also expired the same day.

Can I still work? Please help

Wow..this is the mess that USCIS creates!
                  They have given you EAD approval without approving L2 first.

I think you can work since you are in valid status as long as your L2 extension is still pending.

• Shwetha sunder
                    Shwetha sunder 12 Feb, 19 at 3:50 pm

Thank god! Like I mentioned in my previous post I recieved a RFE for H1B. I am not sure if the L2 pending status is a cause- really wondering what’s happening

I hope they have not mixed up your L2 and H1B applications.
                      Just kidding.

• Shwetha sunder
                      Shwetha sunder 12 Feb, 19 at 8:01 pm

Hahaha! As long as H1B is approved I don’t mind l2 getting RFE

8. Namrata Rawat
    Namrata Rawat 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

i had applied for L2 EAD renewal and my l2 visa is valid till 2020 same as my spouse but the renwal of EAD was tagged to my i-94 expiry and not to my spouse (L1b) i-94 expiry. so I got short rewal as my i-94 was due to expire on feb 2019.

Is their a way I can call uscis ans ask them to extend as my spouse i-94 or do i need to update my i-94 and then apply l2 ead again.Please suggest

Any reason that you did not extend your i94 to match your L2 visa?
      Is your i94 expiry short due to passport expiry date?

• Namrata Rawat
        Namrata Rawat 9 Feb, 19 at 10:13 am

Yes, when I entered i had a old passport and i renewed my passport just two months back and was planning to get i-94 renewed when i would travel. Will uscis entertain my case to get this fixed

No, USCIS will not entertain any request now. You should have ideally got your new i94 and then should have applied for L2 EAD to get validity equal to your visa.
          Now, the only option is to file for EAD renewal as and when it is due.

• Namrata Rawat
            Namrata Rawat 9 Feb, 19 at 10:44 am

i have not received the physical card but received letter saying that my case is approved so if I ask them to hold and submit revised i-94 will it help.Also, submitting case enquiry will help?

No. Whatever documents you submitted initially were used to process your application.
              Any new update has to be sent with new application and new processing fees.

You can call USCIS and ask but as far as I know, nothing can be done now.

• Namrata Rawat
                Namrata Rawat 11 Feb, 19 at 8:19 am

I am re-applying for EAD renewal as I got only one month extension based on my old I-94.
                I have renewed my I-94 by traveling out of US recently.

I want to reconfirm the documents which I am sending to USCIS:

1- G1450: For credit card payment
                2- G-1145: Electronic notification
                3- I-765 : The main form
                4- Two photographs (back sign with SSN number)
                5-Spouse visa and self visa
                6-spouse i-94 and self i-94
                7-marriage certificate
                8-Last EAD (both front and back)
                9-My passport copy

My question is do i need to include ?

1-spouse passport copy
                2-My SSN copy
                3- My all EAD (I have two EAD cards)

Please confirm as it will be a great help.

Regards,
                Namrata

You can refer this article for filing EAD form i765. It’s primarily for H4 EAD but L2 EAD documents are also same.

• Namrata Rawat
                    Namrata Rawat 12 Feb, 19 at 12:31 pm

Thanks! Anil

One last question as i did not get the info in the link provided.

Do I need to send photocopy of all EAD cards?
                    Also ,last time when I received the EAD card it had a barcode slip stating I should include that when I renew my EAD for faster renewal, is
                    that a common document which everyone gets?

Regards,
                    Namrata

Yes, that slip is sent with every EAD card.

It’s okay if you do not have that slip. You can scan both sides of your most recent EAD card and send it.

No need to send all old EAD cards. Just the most recent one is sufficient.

9. Vick
    Vick 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hello,
    Just wanted to now how long does it take to receive the SSN after EAD card has arrived if opted to get SSN along with EAD application.
    Its been 4 weeks and i havent got the SSN so just wondering the average timelines or if it takes longer. Thanks in advance

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

It takes around 4-6 weeks for SSN card to arrive. Do not worry. This is normal.

• Vick
        Vick 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Ok sure. Thanks Anil!

10. Smriti Khanna
    Smriti Khanna 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Hello Sir,
    We have Applied for I 485 and our receipt date is 31st August 2018, we haven’t received our EAD and Travel Document. I think we are quite upto normal processing time. However, i would like to ask, if our EAD and Travel document gets approved, can we go to India and come back without any issue? I am hearing lot of things that even if we have travel document we will be in trouble to get entry in US, can you help me a best answer for this question?

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

I have covered the travel with advance parole in detail here

In short, it is better to wait for green card. Travelling is legally allowed but there can be un-expected issues at port of entry and you do not want to ruin your chances.