Current EAD Processing Time 2019 – H4, L2, I-485 Green Card

23 Jul, 19
  1.1k

USCIS EAD Processing Time

H4 EAD processing time 1 month at Vermont to 5 month at California service center.

i485 EAD processing time is 2 to 6 month at National benefits center.

How long does it take for EAD to come? The answer is the processing time vary for EAD applications filed on form i-765 for different types of employment authorizations.

The most recent EAD approval found using data from user driven online forums are merged with USCIS official data to give you a reliable average EAD processing time.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19167***** Receipt: 02 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 21 days
23 Feb, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

NEBRASKAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
Based on an approved asylum application [(a)(5)]LIN19182***** Receipt: 21 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / OthersLIN19182***** Receipt: 21 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
23 Feb, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

POTOMACFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
F-1 OPT EAD (Pre-Completion, Post-completion, STEM) - C(3)YSC19147***** Receipt: 02 May, 19
Approved in 2 month 22 days

Slowest case approval in 8 month 6 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19103***** Receipt: 02 Mar, 19
Approved in 4 month 23 days
19 Nov, 18
Slowest case approval in 8 month 6 days

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus
Pending  Approved  RFE,   Denied  Your case  Verified Status

Raise USCIS Case Service Request

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

USCIS allows you to ask for status update if your case is taking more than other cases and they call it ‘outside normal processing time’.

You can use USCIS case status check website to check the status of your EAD application with your USCIS receipt number.

EAD Card Delivery Time

You can expect your EAD card within 5-7 days once the status of your EAD application shows as ‘Card sent for printing’.

Your EAD is approved if your application status shows as new Card is Being Produced Meaning on USCIS website.

You cannot start working until you have received your EAD card. Card is delivered by USPS regular mail in your mailbox.

Make sure that you write your apartment number on i765 form correctly to avoid delivery issues later.

SSN Card Time After EAD Approval

The SSN card takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive after your EAD approval. You should have selected the SSN option on form I765 for automatic SSN application.

If not applied with EAD, you have to apply SSN separately after you receive your EAD card.
If SSN card is taking more time than 6 weeks, you can visit your local SSN office and apply a new SSD card yourself.

SSN office will be able to see if there is any existing pending application for you before applying a new one.

SSN is required to start working and get paid legally. Your ITIN may or may not be accepted by the employer.

Automatic EAD 180 Day Extension

USCIS has officially allowed many EADs categories to keep working if their current one expires and their extension application is pending.

You can apply for EAD extension 180 days before its expiry.

Example:

EAD Processing Time Dallas or Phoenix

There are no USCIS service centers named Dallas or Phoenix. You just send your applications to lock-boxes (mail box) located in Dallas and Phoenix.

After that, USCIS routes your EAD application to actual service center. Check your receipt number to find which service is processing your application.

EAD Processing Time after RFE

It usually takes 60-90 days to process and approve EAD application after you have submitted RFE response to USCIS. The count starts from day USCIS receives your RFE response.

Make sure your primary visa like H1B (or L) has at-least 6 months of validity before applying for dependent H4 EAD to avoid a certain RFE.

EAD USA

1. Priyanka
    Priyanka

My RD- 01/29/2019.
    Married to US citizen.
    Center-NBC.
    When do I expect my EAD card?
    Appreciate your help and work.
    Thanks.

2. Saradha_Kumaresan
    Saradha_Kumaresan

Thank you! I ll post here once I receive it for the benefit of others

Hi @sandya

We have not seen any H4 EAD approval after biometrics from Nebraska service center at this time.
    Hence, I do not have an estimate to share with you.

4. sapyard
    sapyard

@Anil.Gupta - Last two times I send for EAD applications I used to get email updates as well. And EAD got approved exactly within 90 days. I had sent separate form with email id. Strangely, this time I did not get any email updates… Just received one receipt number over postal mail.

Anything changed now?

Raju.

5. sai1
    sai1

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    i am on my H4 visa status, but my spouse i140 was filed in premium processing, receipt number was received on july 8th. So now the employer is planning to file for H1b extension, he has valid visa till feb 2020. so my question is can i apply for H4 ead with approved H4 visa or its better to apply along with my extension. I came to know the processing time for H4-EAD is 2-5 months. kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

1,190 Useful Questions & Answers

1. Luis
    Luis 15 Mar, 19 at 10:12 am

Hi Anil. My L2-EAD (i-765) was received in Vermont on January 31, 2019. When do you thing it is probable that I get my EAD?. Thanks.

BTW, great job, very useful for us when we are just waiting.
    A suggestion: a very small explanation of what the dates and colour bars mean would make newcomers understand it faster.

• Luis
      Luis 15 Mar, 19 at 3:15 pm

My case status has just changed to “New Card Is Being Produced” 🙂

Great. You already got approved as soon as you wrote on this page 🙂
        Lucky!

We appreciate your feedback and will add explanation about what the bars mean.

2. Caitlin
    Caitlin 15 Mar, 19 at 10:02 am

I765 expedite case is completed. What does it mean Anil? I’m I done yet ?

You should have received a response by USCIS as to what decision they took about expediting your EAD.

• Caitlin
        Caitlin 17 Mar, 19 at 10:28 am

How long does it take Anil? I still didn’t get anything except the uodate.

Anil Gupta 17 Mar, 19 at 10:36 am

It can take upto 30 days for USCIS to take any decision on your EAD expedite request.

3. Henrique
    Henrique 15 Mar, 19 at 9:13 am

Hi Anil, I noticed that when I click compare my case, I can only see pending cases, I can’t see any approved cases. It would be really awesome if we could, for example, choose a date and see like 10 cases before, and 10 cases after that date. I love your work here, this is just a suggestion for improvement. Best regards!!

Sounds like an idea. In-fact, when we started this page, we used to show 10 before and 10 after approved cases but then people started asking for more cases and we added more.

But, we can certainly work to bring it back as an option.

4. Prasad
    Prasad 15 Mar, 19 at 7:31 am

Hi Anil. My PD is March 9, 2017. Its EB1. I485 filed on Oct 24, 2018. Biometrics review completed on Dec 7. Still its showing”Fingerprint review completed” since Dec 7. When can I expect my EAD/AP? When do you think I am likely get my GC also?

You have neither mentioned your country of birth nor the service center processing your case.

• Prasad
        Prasad 15 Mar, 19 at 7:30 pm

Hi, This is for India in EB1 and filed with NBC.

Anil Gupta 16 Mar, 19 at 4:42 am

You can expect your i485 EAD by April 2019 second week end.
          You can track i485 application processing time here.

• Prasad
            Prasad 17 Mar, 19 at 8:30 am

Ok. Also when do you think I am likely to get my GC?

Anil Gupta 17 Mar, 19 at 8:36 am

I485 approval timeline is the GC timeline itself. Have you checked the link i shared earlier?

• Prasad
              Prasad 17 Mar, 19 at 12:17 pm

I checked the link but it has no mention of MSC(national benefit center). Not sure if I am missing anything

What are the first three letters of your i485 receipt number?

• Prasad
              Prasad 18 Mar, 19 at 11:45 am

It starts with “MSC”

Anil Gupta 18 Mar, 19 at 11:54 am

We do not have i485 data for MSC. Sorry.

5. Priya
    Priya 14 Mar, 19 at 7:40 pm

My L2-EAD is going to expire on April 1st, 2019. My husband and my i-485, L-131 was filled on Nov 7th, 2018. Did finger print on Dec 12, 2018. Nothing came after that. If nothing will come till April 1st then i have to leave my company. My question is if I will raise EAD expedite then how much time it will take to come?

6. Damien
    Damien 14 Mar, 19 at 5:19 pm

Hi Anil, Hi Everyone,
    I just want to participate and share my journey here… Timing has been VERY accurate and everything have been approved at the right time.
    I filed in November 2017 for i-485, I-131, I-765 marriage base / National Benefits Center
    Renewed my 2nd EAD in September 2018. Receipt date for EAD was September 19, 2018
    – Requested an expedite with congressman February 12, 2019: No luck!
    – March 8, 2019: Approval of form I-765 –> “Card is being produced” (I got the update online and I called USCIS to confirm)
    – March 11, 2019: Approval for Advanced Parole/Travel document: (No update online, I called 4 times USCIS and asked a level 2 officer on the phone to confirm that they would process my travel document at the same time but NO CLEAR answer from them)
    – March 13, 2019: Called again USCIS 3 times to ask if my travel document has been approved. Level 2 officer confirmed!
    – March 13, 2019: Online update stating that they are mailing my card
    – March 14, 2019: Received two mails via usps —> Notice of Action stating that both my EAD/AP have been approved
    – March 14, 2019: Received Online update –> Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service with usps tracking number. Expecting delivery: March 16, 2019 by 8:00 pm.
    From filing my 2nd EAD to get the first approval, it took precisely 170 days as it was showing up here and on https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/.
    I wish you all the best and good luck with everything.
    Anil, THANK YOU for being here for us!
    See you soon!

Anil Gupta 15 Mar, 19 at 6:21 am

Thanks Damien for sharing your case details. We appreciate it.

7. Julia
    Julia 14 Mar, 19 at 10:03 am

So, It looks like that USCIS changed their processing time dates recently. I don’t think that it was an error on this site (the switch from September 19th to September 9th), a day ago. I was continuously checking this here and on USCIS official site for the NBS processing time. They did move back in time, which made a 10 day difference and I guess, nobody can really ask them why and it might happen again!?

Yes, that’s correct, the dates were changed by USCIS and we can’t help it. They do not give any explanation on why the dates have moved back.

8. Nas
    Nas 14 Mar, 19 at 8:17 am

Hey Anil, EAD MSC nov 16 2018. I called uscis 3 days ago telling them that i have a job offer and it’s been already 115 days is it gonna stay longer or? He said I’m gonna submit an expedite for you and you should get a notice after 5 to 7 days… what do you think Anil?

Anil Gupta 14 Mar, 19 at 8:37 am

Assuming you have raised the USCIS service request, the chances of getting result any sooner than normal time are still about 10%.

You can raise an EAD expedite request by going through your congressman to get it faster.

• Nas
        Nas 14 Mar, 19 at 8:58 am

Okay! What about normally when should I expect the approve as of nov 16 18

• NAS
          NAS 14 Mar, 19 at 3:04 pm

UPDATE MR ANIL! Please let me know what does these updates mean. Thanks a lot

Case History

03/14/2019

On March 14, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number T1, was completed.

03/14/2019

On March 14, 2019, we sent a response to your request to have your case expedited, referral number T1.

03/14/2019

On March 14, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number T1, was assigned to an officer for response.

• Nas
            Nas 14 Mar, 19 at 3:04 pm

Please look at my update in the previous comment

You have already raised a request for Expediting your case. I would suggest to wait for USCIS response.

• Nas
              Nas 14 Mar, 19 at 6:22 pm

Please look at the update in the previous comment

• shreshtha mundra
              shreshtha mundra 18 Mar, 19 at 6:24 pm

Hey Nas, did it help to expedite your request ? Did you get the EAD/any reply from them?

9. victor
    victor 13 Mar, 19 at 10:30 pm

Hey Anil, i started my application in the last week of february. when should i get my EAD approval?

Anil Gupta 14 Mar, 19 at 8:37 am

I won’t be able to guess the type of EAD you are filing and the service center it is going to.

10. Gaurav
    Gaurav 13 Mar, 19 at 10:17 pm

Hey Anil Great work really appreciate for All this Helpful Material,
    do you have any idea when i can hope my EAD & AP ?
    NBC Filed date 27 Dec 2018 & Bio metric Done JaN 23 2019, PLEASE SUGGEST.
    thanks

Anil Gupta 14 Mar, 19 at 8:36 am

You can expect your i485 EAD by May 2019 end.