Current EAD Processing Time 2019 – H4, L2, I-485 Green Card

23 Jul, 19
  1.1k

USCIS EAD Processing Time

H4 EAD processing time 1 month at Vermont to 5 month at California service center.

i485 EAD processing time is 2 to 6 month at National benefits center.

How long does it take for EAD to come? The answer is the processing time vary for EAD applications filed on form i-765 for different types of employment authorizations.

The most recent EAD approval found using data from user driven online forums are merged with USCIS official data to give you a reliable average EAD processing time.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19167***** Receipt: 02 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 21 days
23 Feb, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

NEBRASKAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
Based on an approved asylum application [(a)(5)]LIN19182***** Receipt: 21 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / OthersLIN19182***** Receipt: 21 Jun, 19
Approved in 1 month 2 days
23 Feb, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

POTOMACFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
F-1 OPT EAD (Pre-Completion, Post-completion, STEM) - C(3)YSC19147***** Receipt: 02 May, 19
Approved in 2 month 22 days

Slowest case approval in 8 month 6 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19103***** Receipt: 02 Mar, 19
Approved in 4 month 23 days
19 Nov, 18
Slowest case approval in 8 month 6 days

Receipt *
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.
Receipt Date*
Please provide a valid receipt date.
Visa*
Type*
Processing Type*
Select correct processing type for your case.
Current Status*
Please select correct status.
Status Date*
Please choose correct date.
Comments
RFE Documents

NumberReceiptStatus
Pending  Approved  RFE,   Denied  Your case  Verified Status

Raise USCIS Case Service Request

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

USCIS allows you to ask for status update if your case is taking more than other cases and they call it ‘outside normal processing time’.

You can use USCIS case status check website to check the status of your EAD application with your USCIS receipt number.

EAD Card Delivery Time

You can expect your EAD card within 5-7 days once the status of your EAD application shows as ‘Card sent for printing’.

Your EAD is approved if your application status shows as new Card is Being Produced Meaning on USCIS website.

You cannot start working until you have received your EAD card. Card is delivered by USPS regular mail in your mailbox.

Make sure that you write your apartment number on i765 form correctly to avoid delivery issues later.

SSN Card Time After EAD Approval

The SSN card takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive after your EAD approval. You should have selected the SSN option on form I765 for automatic SSN application.

If not applied with EAD, you have to apply SSN separately after you receive your EAD card.
If SSN card is taking more time than 6 weeks, you can visit your local SSN office and apply a new SSD card yourself.

SSN office will be able to see if there is any existing pending application for you before applying a new one.

SSN is required to start working and get paid legally. Your ITIN may or may not be accepted by the employer.

Automatic EAD 180 Day Extension

USCIS has officially allowed many EADs categories to keep working if their current one expires and their extension application is pending.

You can apply for EAD extension 180 days before its expiry.

Example:

EAD Processing Time Dallas or Phoenix

There are no USCIS service centers named Dallas or Phoenix. You just send your applications to lock-boxes (mail box) located in Dallas and Phoenix.

After that, USCIS routes your EAD application to actual service center. Check your receipt number to find which service is processing your application.

EAD Processing Time after RFE

It usually takes 60-90 days to process and approve EAD application after you have submitted RFE response to USCIS. The count starts from day USCIS receives your RFE response.

Make sure your primary visa like H1B (or L) has at-least 6 months of validity before applying for dependent H4 EAD to avoid a certain RFE.

EAD USA

1. Priyanka
    Priyanka

My RD- 01/29/2019.
    Married to US citizen.
    Center-NBC.
    When do I expect my EAD card?
    Appreciate your help and work.
    Thanks.

2. Saradha_Kumaresan
    Saradha_Kumaresan

Thank you! I ll post here once I receive it for the benefit of others

Hi @sandya

We have not seen any H4 EAD approval after biometrics from Nebraska service center at this time.
    Hence, I do not have an estimate to share with you.

4. sapyard
    sapyard

@Anil.Gupta - Last two times I send for EAD applications I used to get email updates as well. And EAD got approved exactly within 90 days. I had sent separate form with email id. Strangely, this time I did not get any email updates… Just received one receipt number over postal mail.

Anything changed now?

Raju.

5. sai1
    sai1

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    i am on my H4 visa status, but my spouse i140 was filed in premium processing, receipt number was received on july 8th. So now the employer is planning to file for H1b extension, he has valid visa till feb 2020. so my question is can i apply for H4 ead with approved H4 visa or its better to apply along with my extension. I came to know the processing time for H4-EAD is 2-5 months. kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

1,190 Useful Questions & Answers

1. Souvik
    Souvik 20 Mar, 19 at 3:44 pm

I filed my employment based i485 application along with EAD/AP application on 11/30/18 to NBC. When can I expect the EAD approval?

Souvik

You can expect your i485 EAD approval by May 2019 second week end.

2. BShukla
    BShukla 20 Mar, 19 at 3:17 pm

Hello Anil
    I have recently found this page. Great daily updated details!! just curious on EAD bar what does it mean by light blue color

Light blue color bar is just a period of time which does not mean anything as such. Its there to show a comparison between multiple bars to visually compare that the bar with longer blue bar as faster processing time than others.

• BShukla
        BShukla 21 Mar, 19 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Anil for your response! much appreciated!!
        my I-765, I131 and I-485 are filed with receipt date 10/11/2018 when date of filing chart was allowed to file. I got my bio-metric done in mid of nov-2018 and from then just waiting on my EAD approval (my self and two dependent) however as of now my I-140 priority date under eb2 (24th April 2009) is not yet reach in final action date chart. Will this impact on EAD pending period longer then what is mentioned in current processing time chart for NBC? I can see current approval best case is from dec 6th in at NBC and I am still not hearing back anything or no movement on uscis site for my cases of 11th Oct-2018 receipt dates….. Just curious

Your i485 EAD approval processing time should not be affected by the Date of Filing or final action chart.
          Since, you have already filed for EAD, you will get the EAD approved sooner or later.

As per my estimate, you can expect i485 EAD approval anytime now.

• BShukla
            BShukla 25 Mar, 19 at 8:46 am

I will not surprise if they are just fooling around with this case processing date/time!! are they working during weekend too? coz I can see daily one day movement in i-485 processing time in NBC. my case as I said filed in oct-2018 and I can see cases are getting approved from dec-2018 dates and I dont see a movement in my case as of today… even they are retro-getting case processing date/time so we cant truly judge any estimation. Frustrating daily 🙁

3. Jin
    Jin 20 Mar, 19 at 2:07 pm

I submitted my I-485 based on approved I-140 (National Benefits Center). The receipt date is January 24, 2019. I already finished my biometrics and my fingerprint review is completed on March 7. When can I expect to receive my EAD card?

You can expect your i485 EAD approval by June 2019 first week end.

4. Julia
    Julia 20 Mar, 19 at 12:39 pm

I submitted my i-485 based EDA/travel doc application, with a receipt date of November 2018, to National Benefits Center. Could you please tell me when I can expect to receive my EAD? Thanks!

• Julia
      Julia 20 Mar, 19 at 12:47 pm

Sorry, the receipt date is November 19th, 2018.

You can expect your i485 EAD approval by April 2019 end.

5. Ashley Roy
    Ashley Roy 20 Mar, 19 at 11:03 am

When i check my I-485 status online, it still says “Fingerprint Fee Was Received”. I did my bio metrics back in November. Is this normal? Should it not say something acknowledging that fingerprint process is complete or OK? ALso, shoudl I receive anything in the mail acknowledging the biometrics are complete after I finished them? Thanks.

The online status is sometimes not updated on USCIS website. There is no need to worry.

6. Andb
    Andb 20 Mar, 19 at 8:21 am

My wife is awaiting approval for i485 based on marriage (National Benefits Center). The receipt date is January 11 2019. When can I expect EAD/travel parole by? The fingerprint review for EAD was completed Feb 27th.

7. Ashley Roy
    Ashley Roy 20 Mar, 19 at 7:40 am

Any reason why the Best Case approval times for I-485 pending EAD receipt date at the Texas service center are going backwards? Used to be Nov 10, then Nov 6 and now its Nov 2.

Anil Gupta 20 Mar, 19 at 8:21 am

We fixed lot of records that we found to be not correct as this data is all user driven. Users shared wrong receipt dates for their approval cases.
      We run this service to remove bad data occasionally to clear the spam.

• Ashley Roy
        Ashley Roy 20 Mar, 19 at 8:21 am

Thank you sir.

8. rayS
    rayS 19 Mar, 19 at 9:23 am

My H4 EAD receipt date is March 4, 2019 at Vermont Service center. Any idea by what time I can expect EAD approval?

You can expect your H4 EAD approval by May 25, 2019.

• rayS
        rayS 19 Mar, 19 at 1:17 pm

9. Marina
    Marina 19 Mar, 19 at 8:49 am

Thank you for all the info on the website. I was wondering if you could explain a bit better what to expect on the ‘Best case approval’?

My receipt date is Feb 4th online and Feb 6th on the receipt letter for new L2 EAD filed in Vermont (paper-based). I have read in the comments someone got approved for Jan 31st receipt date for the exact same category/service center last week. Does that mean that my case should be approved some time this week?
    When I compare my case in your tracker it only shows pending old applications, no approved ones or closer to my application date. What benchmark should I take into account? It is a stand alone application.

Thanks for your help!

Marina

Anil Gupta 19 Mar, 19 at 8:50 am

The best case approval is the receipt date for the case that we have found to be approved most recently.
      Your case can also be approved that fast and become the best case itself.

As per my estimate, only about 10% of total cases get approved with that fast speed though.

10. SanSan
    SanSan 18 Mar, 19 at 9:19 pm

Hello. I am on H1B while my husband is an H4 and we’re contemplating on applying for an EAD. My H1B will expire on July 23, 2019 but my employer has filed an extension for the both of us. We also have an approved I140 EB3 which will most likely be current on April 2019.

Is it best to file I765 based on I140 and I539 or wait till my priority date becomes current and file I765 with I485?

• SanSan
      SanSan 18 Mar, 19 at 9:20 pm

The EAD is for my H4!husband

Your question about filing H4 EAD vs i485 EAD has been added to our forum and answered there as it was out of scope of this article.

You can ask follow up questions on forum itself. We answer within 1-24 hours.