Current EAD Processing Time 2019 – H4, L2, I-485 Green Card

Updated  3 Oct, 19

USCIS EAD Processing Time

H4 EAD processing time 1 month at Vermont to 5 month at California service center.

i485 EAD processing time is 2 to 6 month at National benefits center.

How long does it take for EAD to come? The answer is the processing time vary for EAD applications filed on form i-765 for different types of employment authorizations.

The most recent EAD approval found using data from user driven online forums are merged with USCIS official data to give you a reliable average EAD processing time.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 4 month 29 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19208***** Receipt: 30 Jul, 19
Approved in 2 month 5 days
07 May, 19
Slowest case approval in 4 month 29 days

NEBRASKAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
Based on an approved asylum application [(a)(5)]LIN19210***** Receipt: 01 Aug, 19
Approved in 2 month 3 days
Slowest case approval in 5 month 14 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / OthersLIN19187***** Receipt: 28 Jun, 19
Approved in 3 month 7 days
22 Apr, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month 14 days

POTOMACFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
F-1 OPT EAD (Pre-Completion, Post-completion, STEM) - C(3)YSC19230***** Receipt: 29 Aug, 19
Approved in 1 month 5 days

Slowest case approval in 6 month 13 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19124***** Receipt: 01 Apr, 19
Approved in 6 month 5 days
19 Jan, 19
Slowest case approval in 8 month 17 days

Raise USCIS Case Service Request

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

USCIS allows you to ask for status update if your case is taking more than other cases and they call it ‘outside normal processing time’.

You can use USCIS case status check website to check the status of your EAD application with your USCIS receipt number.

EAD Card Delivery Time

You can expect your EAD card within 5-7 days once the status of your EAD application shows as ‘Card sent for printing’.

Your EAD is approved if your application status shows as new Card is Being Produced Meaning on USCIS website.

You cannot start working until you have received your EAD card. Card is delivered by USPS regular mail in your mailbox.

Make sure that you write your apartment number on i765 form correctly to avoid delivery issues later.

SSN Card Time After EAD Approval

The SSN card takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive after your EAD approval. You should have selected the SSN option on form I765 for automatic SSN application.

If not applied with EAD, you have to apply SSN separately after you receive your EAD card.
If SSN card is taking more time than 6 weeks, you can visit your local SSN office and apply a new SSD card yourself.

SSN office will be able to see if there is any existing pending application for you before applying a new one.

SSN is required to start working and get paid legally. Your ITIN may or may not be accepted by the employer.

Automatic EAD 180 Day Extension

USCIS has officially allowed many EADs categories to keep working if their current one expires and their extension application is pending.

You can apply for EAD extension 180 days before its expiry.

Example:

EAD Processing Time Dallas or Phoenix

There are no USCIS service centers named Dallas or Phoenix. You just send your applications to lock-boxes (mail box) located in Dallas and Phoenix.

After that, USCIS routes your EAD application to actual service center. Check your receipt number to find which service is processing your application.

EAD Processing Time after RFE

It usually takes 60-90 days to process and approve EAD application after you have submitted RFE response to USCIS. The count starts from day USCIS receives your RFE response.

Make sure your primary visa like H1B (or L) has at-least 6 months of validity before applying for dependent H4 EAD to avoid a certain RFE.

EAD USA

1. Priyanka
    Priyanka

My RD- 01/29/2019.
    Married to US citizen.
    Center-NBC.
    When do I expect my EAD card?
    Appreciate your help and work.
    Thanks.

Hi @sandya

We have not seen any H4 EAD approval after biometrics from Nebraska service center at this time.
    Hence, I do not have an estimate to share with you.

3. sapyard
    sapyard

@Anil.Gupta - Last two times I send for EAD applications I used to get email updates as well. And EAD got approved exactly within 90 days. I had sent separate form with email id. Strangely, this time I did not get any email updates… Just received one receipt number over postal mail.

Anything changed now?

Raju.

4. sai1
    sai1

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    i am on my H4 visa status, but my spouse i140 was filed in premium processing, receipt number was received on july 8th. So now the employer is planning to file for H1b extension, he has valid visa till feb 2020. so my question is can i apply for H4 ead with approved H4 visa or its better to apply along with my extension. I came to know the processing time for H4-EAD is 2-5 months. kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

5. BoomJosh
    BoomJosh

@Anil.Gupta
    Here you go, this works in chrome. In the given script change [colon] in url to :

Install the “Web Scraper” Chrome addin

• Import new sitemap
    • Enter this string
      appReceiptNum=MSC199020[1900-1999]”],“selectors”:[{“id”:“start”,“type”:“SelectorText”,“parentSelectors”:["_root"],“selector”:“h1”,“multiple”:false,“regex”:"",“delay”:0},{“id”:“te2”,“type”:“SelectorText”,“parentSelectors”:["_root"],“selector”:".rows p",“multiple”:false,“regex”:"",“delay”:0}]}

Modify the case number range for range of interest to you.

• Scrape and export data to your analytical tool of choice

1. bigbossfan
    bigbossfan 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

I am currently on H1b and my husband is also on H1b, I am planning to move to H4 EAD what are the chances of getting an approval? knowing that they are planning to close the H4 EAD now. Also how much time does it take now, to get an approval? and does anytime H4 gets approved first but EAD is still pending?

I do not suggest moving to H4 EAD especially when revocation of H4 EAD is actively been worked on by DHS.
      The processing times are tracked daily above. You can get an idea with those dates if you file now.

The biggest time will be consumed by H1B to H4 COS application (8 months).

I have seen cases where H4EAD is approved prior to H4 but these are RARE cases. Technically, H4 EAd cannot be approved unless you are in H4 status. So, do not rely on it.
      Take decision based on H4 processing time and then H4 EAD.

if you do want to move to H4 EAD, my suggestion is to go out of US, get H4 stamp and then enter US with H4 Status. Then, you can file H4 EAD to cut the H4 COS time entirely.

• bigbossfan
        bigbossfan 9 Feb, 19 at 10:11 am

Thank you for your quick response. I got a question on your above suggestion, to travel and go out of US and get h4 stamp? currently I am on H1b with an active job then cant the transfer happen with me being here ? Also do you suggest any specific center that would not cause delay?

You can file H1B to H4 COS while staying in US.
          I just suggested a faster to get H4 status if you are in hurry.

Application service center is decided by USCIS based on your address. You can’t choose one.

2. bagulr2209
    bagulr2209 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

My wife has shifted her status from F1 to H4 since her F1 OPT ended. Once she goes to India, she will be requiring stamping and has to go through interview as well (in Mumbai). We have been told by many people that it might be tough to get the H4 stamp and also the passport can be delayed since the all news about H4 EAD are floating around. Do you know any cases related to this? Will she face problems during interview just because she has H4 EAD?

Please help!

Thank you so much! Appreciate your guidance.

There is absolutely no issue in getting H4 stamping at this time.
      What you have heard is just a rumor.

Having H4 EAD does NOT affect H4 stamping. People on internet just try to scare with no facts.

I have NOT heard of any case where US embassy has rejected H4 stamping due to H4 EAD.

Do not worry and go ahead for stamping. Just make sure that your spouse carries the H4 stamping documents.

• bagulr2209
        bagulr2209 9 Feb, 19 at 10:01 am

Thank you so much Anil! We were confident enough and then we heard the rumors and got tensed.
        With your assurance, we feel better now.

Do you know if they ask any different questions since she has her H4 EAD now? For ex. Do you want to work in US?
        I know that if it was simply H4 the answer would be No but since she has H4 EAD now, what suitable answer should be considering the tense environment regarding the same?

We have been doing our research as well and will post again if we get more accurate answers as well for others to help who are in a similar situation : H4 EAD and visa interview+stamping.

Thanks a ton!

If your wife already has ‘H4 EAD’, then the answer should be ‘yes, I intend to work’.

Getting H4 EAD itself shows that you had intention to work. It’s a work authorization that you applied for.

I don’t know why are you tensed about it.

3. Ankit Mehta
    Ankit Mehta 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Anil

On 31st Jan, 2019 I got the update that my L2-EAD is approved & new card issued via DHS website.

However, in this USCIS link, it still says that “we have received your I-765 documents…..” the same old status.

So, can you please let me know which link to follow from the above, for the latest status ? so, what should we assume – EAD approved or still pending

Thanks in advance

Ankit

Your EAD is approved. Don’t worry.
      We are seeing issues with USCIS site status updates.

• Ankit Mehta
        Ankit Mehta 9 Feb, 19 at 10:41 am

Thank you Anil for your Prompt response. cheers !!

You are welcome.

4. MB
    MB 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Thanks for all the help. I see my case status got approved and card in production as of today.
    Unfortunately we are moving from our current place to next block. Do you think I should update my address with USCIS to get OPT EAD card to new place or should I instead let the mail arrive to old address and then try to collect from old apartment complex.

Thanks again!

You can set up USPS mail forwarding service free of cost which helps you forward your incoming mails to your new address automatically for up-to 1 year.

Let me know if you need more information.

• MB
        MB 9 Feb, 19 at 10:12 am

Thanks Anil, I was thinking of same. However I read online usps ignores forwarding services for immigration and uscis related mails. Is that true?

I don’t think so.
          If that happens, your mail will be returned to USCIS and then you can request it to be sent to new address.

5. GSS
    GSS 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Hi, I’ve applied for my green card and I’m waiting for my EAD/Travel authorization. I submitted to the National Benefits Centre. In your table, should I be looking at I-485 pending EAD receipt date? Thank you.

Yes, that’s correct.

6. Jerry Zhou
    Jerry Zhou 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

Thank for sharing the information, it’s super helpful. : ) I’m a OPT F1 student and just applied my EAD card in December. I suppose to apply earlier, but staff in OIP in my university are new, they said if no job offer I can wait to apply late. In Jan I got an offer letter and the company really want to know when can I start work.

I found out my case was sent to Potomac. Do you know why some case can be approved with in 2 months and 15 days but other may take more than 5 months? How would I know how long will it take for my case?

I was also trying to compare my case use your website, but I didn’t find a Visa F1-EAD option. Should I use any other option?

Do you thinking an infopass appointment at the local USCIS office will help me to expedite my EAD application?

Thank for your kind help and looking forward to your reply.

• Rakshatha Kabbaligere
      Rakshatha Kabbaligere 9 Feb, 19 at 10:01 am

I am in a similar situation. My receipt date is November 9th and wanted to know how I compare with other applications using your tool but couldn’t find the F1 OPT option. Also any comment on expediting the process would help.

Thank you once again for this service.

The F1 OPT option will be available soon.
        You can file an EAD expedite request.

There is no reason as to why some EAD get approved faster than others. Its just your luck.
      At this time, the F1-EAD option is not enabled above. Its being worked out and will be available soon.

Infopass appointment will not be useful and your EAD processing is under normal processing time.
      There is a waiting of about 3-4 months for EAD at this time.

• Jerry Zhou
        Jerry Zhou 9 Feb, 19 at 10:11 am

Thanks, can I require a expedite through infopass appointment?

As i already said, there is no use of infopass appointment. They can’t help you.
          If you want still try, you can go for it.

7. Pushpa
    Pushpa 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

Is there any benefits if we submit the L2 EAD renewal application along with the speed up document which we received along with the card?
    Will it speeed up the process?

Anil Gupta 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Yes, it will help USCIS to find your old EAD approval faster. It is recommended to send that letter with your renewal application.

• Pushpa
        Pushpa 9 Feb, 19 at 10:01 am

Thank you!

8. Harleen Bawa
    Harleen Bawa 14 Jan, 19 at 9:52 am

I applied for L2 EAD on 30th July. Though, its just 2 months now, but i have some doubts. I just checked the trackitt site and someone who applied on 8th august with a receipt no that falls after my receipt no, got her EAD approved and issued.

I am just trying to understand how does this process works, not in the order of dates? and if the website mentions 4 May, someone applied on 8th august can get appproved?

The above dates are USCIS official dates and they give their best estimate. It is possible that some of the cases get approved faster (if they are part of premium application) and hence, the average time may be affected.

You can consider a variation of a month or two around these dates as the average time of approval. We do not know if USCIS follows a straight order of first in first processed or not.

9. vijeta
    vijeta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:50 am

query my L2 EAD is going to expire in FEB but my spouse visa is valid till july 2019. Can I go for EAD extension and what is the right time to apply for EAD extension.

Yes, you can apply for L2 EAD extension if your L2 is also valid upto your spouse’s L visa. You can apply for L2 EAD extension up-to 180 days in advance.

10. shreshtha mundra
    shreshtha mundra 14 Jan, 19 at 9:49 am

Do u have any stats for Phoenix Service center?

I don’t think Phoenix has any EAD application processing.

What does your EAD receipt number start with? The receipt number code tells the processing center.

• shreshtha mundra
        shreshtha mundra 9 Feb, 19 at 10:05 am

Oh, I see. My documents were sent to Phoenix(I know from Fedex tracking number), but i do not have a receipt yet. How long does it take to get receipt number?

No problem. Receipt number is generated within 1-2 days of receipt.
          But, you might receive the official ‘notice of receipt’ with receive number in about 7-21 days.

Did you send form G1145 with your application? If you did, you would have received an SMS or email mentioning your receipt number.