Current EAD Processing Time 2019 – H4, L2, I-485 Green Card

Updated  3 Oct, 19

USCIS EAD Processing Time

H4 EAD processing time 1 month at Vermont to 5 month at California service center.

i485 EAD processing time is 2 to 6 month at National benefits center.

How long does it take for EAD to come? The answer is the processing time vary for EAD applications filed on form i-765 for different types of employment authorizations.

The most recent EAD approval found using data from user driven online forums are merged with USCIS official data to give you a reliable average EAD processing time.

CALIFORNIAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date

Slowest case approval in 5 month
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19207***** Receipt: 29 Jul, 19
Approved in 2 month 6 days
06 May, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month

NEBRASKAFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
Based on an approved asylum application [(a)(5)]LIN19210***** Receipt: 01 Aug, 19
Approved in 2 month 3 days
Slowest case approval in 5 month 15 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / OthersLIN19186***** Receipt: 27 Jun, 19
Approved in 3 month 8 days
21 Apr, 19
Slowest case approval in 5 month 15 days

POTOMACFastest Approved CaseRaise USCIS SR Date
F-1 OPT EAD (Pre-Completion, Post-completion, STEM) - C(3)YSC19230***** Receipt: 29 Aug, 19
Approved in 1 month 5 days

Slowest case approval in 6 month 14 days
H4-EAD / L2-EAD / J2 / Others19121***** Receipt: 27 Mar, 19
Approved in 6 month 10 days
18 Jan, 19
Slowest case approval in 8 month 18 days

Raise USCIS Case Service Request

If your ‘case received date’ is before the date mentioned above, you should raise a service request with USCIS to check why your case has been delayed. This could mean that your case is taking longer than other similar cases and may be stuck in administrative processing.

USCIS allows you to ask for status update if your case is taking more than other cases and they call it ‘outside normal processing time’.

You can use USCIS case status check website to check the status of your EAD application with your USCIS receipt number.

EAD Card Delivery Time

You can expect your EAD card within 5-7 days once the status of your EAD application shows as ‘Card sent for printing’.

Your EAD is approved if your application status shows as new Card is Being Produced Meaning on USCIS website.

You cannot start working until you have received your EAD card. Card is delivered by USPS regular mail in your mailbox.

Make sure that you write your apartment number on i765 form correctly to avoid delivery issues later.

SSN Card Time After EAD Approval

The SSN card takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive after your EAD approval. You should have selected the SSN option on form I765 for automatic SSN application.

If not applied with EAD, you have to apply SSN separately after you receive your EAD card.
If SSN card is taking more time than 6 weeks, you can visit your local SSN office and apply a new SSD card yourself.

SSN office will be able to see if there is any existing pending application for you before applying a new one.

SSN is required to start working and get paid legally. Your ITIN may or may not be accepted by the employer.

Automatic EAD 180 Day Extension

USCIS has officially allowed many EADs categories to keep working if their current one expires and their extension application is pending.

You can apply for EAD extension 180 days before its expiry.

Example:

EAD Processing Time Dallas or Phoenix

There are no USCIS service centers named Dallas or Phoenix. You just send your applications to lock-boxes (mail box) located in Dallas and Phoenix.

After that, USCIS routes your EAD application to actual service center. Check your receipt number to find which service is processing your application.

EAD Processing Time after RFE

It usually takes 60-90 days to process and approve EAD application after you have submitted RFE response to USCIS. The count starts from day USCIS receives your RFE response.

Make sure your primary visa like H1B (or L) has at-least 6 months of validity before applying for dependent H4 EAD to avoid a certain RFE.

EAD USA

1. Priyanka
    Priyanka

My RD- 01/29/2019.
    Married to US citizen.
    Center-NBC.
    When do I expect my EAD card?
    Appreciate your help and work.
    Thanks.

Hi @sandya

We have not seen any H4 EAD approval after biometrics from Nebraska service center at this time.
    Hence, I do not have an estimate to share with you.

3. sapyard
    sapyard

@Anil.Gupta - Last two times I send for EAD applications I used to get email updates as well. And EAD got approved exactly within 90 days. I had sent separate form with email id. Strangely, this time I did not get any email updates… Just received one receipt number over postal mail.

Anything changed now?

Raju.

4. sai1
    sai1

Hi @Anil.Gupta
    i am on my H4 visa status, but my spouse i140 was filed in premium processing, receipt number was received on july 8th. So now the employer is planning to file for H1b extension, he has valid visa till feb 2020. so my question is can i apply for H4 ead with approved H4 visa or its better to apply along with my extension. I came to know the processing time for H4-EAD is 2-5 months. kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

5. BoomJosh
    BoomJosh

@Anil.Gupta
    Here you go, this works in chrome. In the given script change [colon] in url to :

Install the “Web Scraper” Chrome addin

• Import new sitemap
    • Enter this string
      appReceiptNum=MSC199020[1900-1999]”],“selectors”:[{“id”:“start”,“type”:“SelectorText”,“parentSelectors”:["_root"],“selector”:“h1”,“multiple”:false,“regex”:"",“delay”:0},{“id”:“te2”,“type”:“SelectorText”,“parentSelectors”:["_root"],“selector”:".rows p",“multiple”:false,“regex”:"",“delay”:0}]}

Modify the case number range for range of interest to you.

• Scrape and export data to your analytical tool of choice

1. Ashley Roy
    Ashley Roy 18 Feb, 19 at 9:22 pm

Just want to clarify how to read this. I am an I-485 employment based EAD applicant at the Texas service center. Nov 7, 2018 confirmed receipt date. So based on above the earliest approvals coming through were Nov 10 receipt dates and the latest are Sep 21? What does the 150 days/5 months mean?

‘Raise SR’ date is the date you are allowed to call USCIS and ask for update on your case.
      ‘Best case approval’ date is the receipt date for case that we found to be approved most recently.

150 days/5 months is the processing time for most cases.

2. Ram
    Ram 18 Feb, 19 at 5:50 pm

My EAD renewal receipt date is 15th Nov 2018, Any idea if this will get status update this month? Case is with NBC

What kind of EAD application is it? H4 EAD, L2 or i485?

• Ram
        Ram 19 Feb, 19 at 9:21 pm

This is I485 EAD. Also, the dates are keep fluctuating the website, for example: when the page was loaded, for NBC it said I485 best case approval date as 15th Nov then it goes back to 12th Nov immediately

Our service tries to verify the data shared by users and many times users just share the bad status update. We are trying to control spam.
          So, it is possible that service automatically deleted the bad record.

3. Tianchen
    Tianchen 18 Feb, 19 at 12:07 pm

For my I-765 application at National Benefits Center, here is what I got from USCIS case status checking: “On October 22, 2018, we received your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization”.
    Till today, 119 days passed. Do you think normally I may receive my EAD card around Day 150? If so, I think it might be a good timing for me to apply for jobs and tell my potential employers that I will be available in 30 days. Do you think that would work?

I would say plan for 180 days wait time and then start applying for jobs assuming your EAD is based on i485 pending application.

4. hansy8
    hansy8 12 Feb, 19 at 7:57 pm

Hey
    i just found your blog
    so my case is
    i have applied to renew my EAD since April 27 2018, but still do not have been approve
    Also it is been 5 years now that i have applied for I485 but still pending. I applied for VAWA on August 13 2018
    WHy i have not received my ead yet? VAWA slow down EAD renewal?
    How long VAWA take?

What category have you applied your i485 with?
      What is your country of birth?

• hansy8
        hansy8 13 Feb, 19 at 7:06 am

C09
        I am from Gabon

Okay..i need more information to answer your question:

Who sponsored you for your i485? Must have been your spouse and what is your spouse status like Green card or US citizen?
          Has your I-130 been already approved?

• hansy8
            hansy8 13 Feb, 19 at 11:44 am

Unfortunately I-130 has not been approved yet. My spouse is a citizen American. Actually I had a deportation in 2013. I filed vawa in August because my spouse was very physical abusing me. I have all police report and testimony

ohh..I expected that your I-130 was not approved but you did not clearly mention that.

Next question is how has your i485 been filed without I-130 approval?
              Is I-130 application still valid or has been withdrawn by your US citizen spouse?

You have to tell me the complete picture if you want me to answer your question. I can’t simply guess the processing time without complete information.

• hansy8
                hansy8 13 Feb, 19 at 9:07 pm

I have not received a denial, I had already passed 2 interviews( October 16 2014) and (January 21 2015)
                I hired a lawyer for motion to reopen, they told me that we have to wait until I-130 get approved.
                Since then nothing.
                I appllied VAWA

ok..i also think that you need to wait for I-130 approval if it is still pending.

• hansy8
                    hansy8 13 Feb, 19 at 9:27 pm

I just checked my old receipt and I found out that my I-485 and I-130 were approved since 2015.
                    But I never received the green card .
                    Msc1490943960

This is strange. If your i485 is approved, then you should have got Green Card.
                      Did you call USCIS and check what is the issue?

• hansy8
                      hansy8 14 Feb, 19 at 4:45 am

I found out last night
                      I have moved in April 2015 to a new apartment and i never received it. I will call them today

Ok.. sure. Let me know how it goes.

5. Suresh Muthukumarasamy
    Suresh Muthukumarasamy 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

I would like to appreciate your good work and being helpful to everyone.

I have a question and hoping you can help on that. I filed my H1-B Extension and H4-EAD together on Oct 2, 2018. Recently I got a notice from USCIS stating my case has been transferred to vermont service center. Does that mean my processing clock begins on the day it get transferred? Can I raise the SR inquiry based on filed date?

Thank you for your time!

USCIS still considers your receipt number from old service center for raising SR request.
      You can get a fair bit of idea about processing time here for H1B receipt number.

• Suresh Muthukumarasamy
        Suresh Muthukumarasamy 12 Feb, 19 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Anil. Appreciate your response.

6. Mustafa
    Mustafa 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

I filled I765 with I485, My receipt date is 2nd Oct and service center is National Benefits Service Center. My CPT ends in 23rd February. And it is my last semester. If I don’t get EAD before my school ends, does it effect green card process. Is it ok if I dont work and go to school until I get my EAD. Thanks.

You can stay in USA based on pending i485 application.
      You can start working once you get your EAD.

7. Vijay Sivakumar
    Vijay Sivakumar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:27 am

When we add a case and compare, there is a list which comes up. In this list there is date just below the status. What does that signify?

The date under status is the ‘status date’ which means that the status was recorded on that date or shared by user on that date.

• Vijay Sivakumar
        Vijay Sivakumar 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

Thanks Anil. But when I added my case for the first time to check and compare yesterday, 6th Feb, the status against my case showed as pending and the date showed Jan 13 2019. Does that mean someone else also checked the same case in Jan, which is likely as my sister is also checking regularly???? Pls clarify

The case status gets added only when someone clicks ‘add’ and status date is saved as entered by user.
          So, yes, someone would have entered the case status for your receipt.
          It could be your sister as you said.

At this time, it is all anonymous to hide user identity.

• Vijay Sivakumar
            Vijay Sivakumar 11 Feb, 19 at 8:04 am

Oh ok..Thanks a lot.

8. Ankit Mehta
    Ankit Mehta 9 Feb, 19 at 10:27 am

Thank you for all the prompt support so far.

Today I received my L2 EAD card & I have the following queries:

At the bottom of my EAD card, it states “NOT VALID FOR REENTRY TO U.S.”

1. Does this mean that I cant travel outside the U.S. ?
    2. If No, then can I travel alone, without the L1 visa holder ? What are the supporting documents that I will need to carry?
    3. If Yes, then what is the procedure to be able to travel outside the U.S. and return legally on the same L2 EAD status?

Thanks in advance

regards,
    Ankit

NOT VALID FOR REENTRY TO U.S. is a generic message printed on all EAD cards that are not issued with i485 filing.
      When you apply for i485 pending EAD card + AP (Advance parole), you can use that EAD+ AP card to re-enter US.

In your case, you have L2 EAD which cannot be used to enter US. Instead, you need to use your L2 visa stamp.
      Don’t worry, it really does not mean anything for you as you will use your visa stamp for entry.

You can travel with anyone you like. There are no restrictions.

• Ankit Mehta
        Ankit Mehta 10 Feb, 19 at 12:25 pm

Thanks so much Anil for the clarification. Really appreciate it 🙂
        and you are doing a great job here! *Thumbs up*

You are welcome. Enjoy.

9. Anil Gupta

Yesterday, our service cleaned up cases which were entered by users with wrong information. So, many best cases would have been removed.

10. mukesh kumar
    mukesh kumar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:01 am

We filed for H1,H4 & H4 EAD in premium on Dec 21 2018, H1 got approved on Jan 3rd but H4 & H4 EAD are still pending, attorney who filed my case left the law firm and the new attorney who took up my case tried to contact USCIS to raise a SR on H4 since it is past the PP window but the USCIS refused to discuss the case since it was a different attorney who filed the case even though the name of the law firm was mentioned on the papers. Any advice on what can be done to expedite the process? My spouse has an upcoming International travel and we can get a new H4 visa in home country but what we are worried about is would this travel jeopardize the H4 EAD pending application.

Thank You for your time.

This is funny!
      Your attorney should know how to take this case forward with USCIS. If they are saying that they can’t do anything just because the paralegal left their company, then your employer needs to change this attorney!

Anyway, there is no other way of getting the status from USCIS except your attorney contacting them.

If you want to try your luck (chances are very low) with expedite request.

• mukesh kumar
        mukesh kumar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:11 am

Yes they are in the process of getting new attorney..what do you suggest about H4 EAD that’s under process, do you think traveling out of country when H4 EAD is pending would jeopardize it?

Thank You again for your time Anil.