Current PERM Processing Time 2019 – PWD, Audit Case

23 Jul, 19

PERM processing time is 3 months. PWD approval is taking 3 months.

PERM auditing is done for 30% of cases by requesting job advertisement and employer documents. US department of labor (DOL) also conducts supervised recruitment to find fraud. Audit cases are taking 6 months for approval.

PERM Processing Time

Job Ads
PWD
PERM
i140

Check PERM Status Online
A-
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.

Status
Approval Date
Status
Expect Approval On or Before DateBETA

PERM Approvals
NumberReceiptStatus
Pending  Approved  RFE,   Denied  Your case  Verified Status

PERM is first step in US green card process. PWD and PERM approval are required for H1B (EB2, EB3) and L work visas applicants based on their ETA Form 9089 filing with DOL.

USCIS does not process PERM.

Check PERM Case Status Online

PERM Checker: Use your PERM ETA case number to check your PERM approval status online above. The PERM case number starts with the letter ‘A’ which means your case is at PERM processing center in Atlanta.

The A number has the year and day of the year embedded in it. The number is assigned to your PERM case when your employer or attorney creates the case in online DOL system for the first time. Your employer may or may not submit the case on same day to DOl for approval.

PERM Analyst review means that your case is worked on by DOL Analyst.

ETA Case Number format is A-NNNNN-NNNNN with 10 digits and the Alien number (also called A number) under beneficiary section on I-140 Approval Notice is A-NNN-NNN-NNN with 9 digits. Note that both numbers are different and have different purpose.

PERM Application Status Meaning

# CERTIFIED

PERM certified status means it has been approved and is valid for 180 days from the date of approval.

# CERTIFIED EXPIRED

PERM certified expired means that PERM was approved but was not used within 6 months to file i140 with USCIS.

This PERM has expired and a new PERM should be filed to get a new Green card priority date. It is possible to request the same priority date from old expired PERM but USCIS may or may not port the date. It depends on USCIS discretion.

Many people have also reported that their i140 was approved after PERM but the status still shows as ‘Certified Expired’ on DOl website and in above case status check. There is not need to worry as it is possible that DOL database is not updated and is showing wrong information.

# WITHDRAWN

PERM application was withdrawn by employer.

# DENIED

PERM application was denied by DOL.

Green Card Priority Date – PERM?

Your US Green card priority date is the date when you file your PERM application with DOL and not the date when the case was created online.

#1 Employment Based

If your GC needs PERM labor certification, the priority date is the date on which the DOL receives ETA Form 9089 (PERM application form).

If your GC does not need labor certification like EB1 and NIW cases, the priority date is the date of filing form I-140, I-526 or I-360.

#2 Family Based Green Cards

The GC priority date is the date U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receives the Form I-130 petition.

H1B 7th year extension with pending PERM

How long does PERM approval process can take in not in your hand but you can file H1B 7th year extension (after completing 6 year quota) if your PERM has been pending for more than 365 days including audit time.

Experience letter for PERM – Skill Letter

Use PERM experience letter sample to get skills listed on old employer’s letter head as an employment verification. This may be needed to prove your skills for the job description that is relevant for your PERM application, if your case is selected for PERM Auditing. The letter also explains how to write job description for PERM.

Normally, 30% of PERM applications are selected randomly for Audit.

PERM in H1B 6th year – Can H1B be extended?

You cannot apply for H1B 7th year extension unless your PERM gets approved before your 6th year ends if you apply PERM during 6th year. PERM has to be either approved or pending (waiting) for more than 365 days on the last day of H1B 6th year.

As a solution to this problem, attorney’s suggest to re-capture vacation time spent outside USA and extend your 6th year end date.

PERM Premium Processing

There is no premium processing available for PERM application. i140 application has premium and can be used to speed up filing 7th year H1B extension if you are near your max out time.

PERM Approval Delayed

Your employer can contact DOL Helpdesk for a status on the application at plc.atlanta@dol.gov. You cannot call DOL for your PERM status check.

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. Jayanth
    Jayanth

My Perm was Filed on March 14th, still my perm not certified is it something i need to worry ? also i do see some April Perm are getting certified… My Max out is Sep 15 2019, do you think i can get I140 approved before my max out? Please advise.

Jay

2. shruti_mahajan
    shruti_mahajan

Thank you @Anil.Gupta for your answer :slight_smile:

3. shruti_mahajan
    shruti_mahajan

Hi @Jayanth,

Last week, my attorney informed me that there is an audit for my case. So now it might take another few months for the approval.

Shruti

4. Ashish_Chaudhari
    Ashish_Chaudhari

Thanks Anil for your comments.

5. Jayanth
    Jayanth

Hi Roopa,

Am also in the same situation, my Perm was filed on March 14 and still waiting for an update. My attorney advised the same to exit the country 5 days before the max out (max out is Sep 15, 2019).

Jay

1. Dipu
    Dipu 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

How do you receive data? Some people shared they got their PWD approval filed on 20 sept. Do you have access to track DOL updates in daily basis?

We have already explained how the data is collected in above article.

• Dipu
        Dipu 9 Feb, 19 at 10:11 am

I was asking because you said you get info from official data of DOL. I was wondering they are very slow at this moment. My friend got PWD approval on Dec 1st week (filed on mid august). after that two months are already passed and still they showing august. I will be thankful to you give your opinion since you might have official data from DOL

The data that we have is shared above.

2. cantor
    cantor 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

My PERM was submitted on Nov 15. When should I expect the approval notice.

You can expect result by Feb end.

3. naga
    naga 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

My PERM has been applied on 5-OCT-18, my 6 yr H1B expired on 10-DEC-18 but since i has 84 days to recapture which would give me time until 3-MAR-19 , i have applied for h1b extension for these 84 days , so what are my options now.

1.Can i still work until 3-MAR-19 ?, What if i do not get any decision on h1b by 3-mar-19.
    2.What if i get my PERM Approval before H1B (03-mar) i can apply 1-140 premium processing and if i exceed the 3-mar date what should i do ?
    3. I also heard if you do not get any decision on your h1b , you can work for 240 days , is it true (if its true by then i can get my 140 approved and re-file my h1b ?)
    Appreciate your help.
    Let me know if i have any other options.

Thanks.
    Naga.

1. How can you work after 3rd Mar when you have only requested for H1B only till 3rd Mar?
      2. The only way you can stay in US after 3rd Mar is when your i140 has been approved and you have filed H1B extension and it is pending with USCIS.
      3. 240 day rule is ONLY applicable if you fulfill other conditions too. In this case, you should have your i140 approved.

• naga
        naga 9 Feb, 19 at 10:11 am

so if i do not get i140 approval by feb last week, do i need to leave US before 3-mar or can i leave after 3-mar , may be after a week say around 5/10 march and can i apply h1b from india with same employer after my i140 is approved or with different employer if my current employer do file for withdrawal of i140 ), and i can only come to us only after my h1b is approved and stamped ?

if i leave before march , can i still work for the same client from india , if they allow me to work remotely until i get my i140 and new h1b extension approved ?

I suggest to leave a week before 3rd March.
          You can file H1B extension from India.

You can only enter USA once H1B is approved and visa is stamped.

You won’t be able to transfer to new employer until i140 is approved. Also, I 140 can be withdrawn by old Employer if you do not stay with them for at-least 180 days.

If you are in India, you can work for anyone. US immigration law onky applies when you are inside USA.

• naga
            naga 10 Feb, 19 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Anil.

Just trying to understand what’s the point of leaving before 3-mar and after 3-mar would it considered as illegal stay and will it cause issues in applying h1b extension after i140 is approved ?

There could be issues in applying H1B extension if you do not leave any gap in 6 year quota.
              Attorneys usually recommend to leave 60 days before 6 year quota completion.

• naga
              naga 12 Feb, 19 at 12:28 pm

If i go to India and when i get the I140 approved , is my H1B considered as a new case , i mean do i have to wait until april and does it go through the lottery process, please help.

If your employer does not withdraw your i140, then you can use it to apply for non-cap H1b extensions.
              if your employer withdraws i140, then you have to file a NEW H1B application in lottery.

4. Babu
    Babu 28 Jan, 19 at 8:51 pm

My PERM got filed on 2nd Oct 2018 and i-797 is expiring on mid mar 2019.
    1. If my PERM is approved by mid Feb, can I apply for 7th year extension based on approved PERM?
    2. Is approved i-140 is the only way to apply 7th year extension if PERM was filed in 6th year?

Thanks a lot
    Babu

H1B 7th year extension can be filed only if
      1. I140 is approved OR
      2. PERM is pending for more than 365 days.

If your PERM is approved by mid-February, you can immediately file i140 in premium and then file H1B 7th year extension once it is approved.

• Babu
        Babu 9 Feb, 19 at 10:41 am

5. PermChaser
    PermChaser 14 Jan, 19 at 9:51 am

Where do you get the information regarding cases processing times and dates ? icert hasnt been updating for 2-3 weeks.

Its collected from various user driven forums where people share their case details voluntarily.

6. Sravan Kumar
    Sravan Kumar 14 Jan, 19 at 9:48 am

I see the best case date for perm is October 19. Does this mean some body who filed their perm on October 19 got approved?

Yes, that’s correct.

• Sravan Kumar
        Sravan Kumar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:14 am

This is really good to hear :). Mine is filed on oct 5 still waiting for the response.

All the best.

• Fred G
            Fred G 10 Feb, 19 at 12:29 pm

The best date yesterday was Oct 19, but today is Oct 14. I’ve seen this happen a few times – could you explain why that change happens? Thanks!!

Since this data is user driven, we sometimes find that the approval that they shared had a wrong date or they modified it later after our service tracked it.
              We are working to fix this discrepancy.

7. DolphinBoy
    DolphinBoy 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

My PERM was filed on 2nd Oct 2018 but I haven’t got approval yet.
    Has anyone received approval after getting filed around my timeframe?

• DolphinBoy
      DolphinBoy 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

@A@SoanT:disqus … do you have any idea?

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

The best case shows as ’17 oct’, so, I think people are getting approval from October dates.

You should also hear on your case soon.

• DolphinBoy
          DolphinBoy 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Thank you @SoanT:disqus . Since, its past 90 days, should I reach out to DOL on plc.atlanta@dol.gov? Will this be helpful?

The 90 days should have passed from the ‘Raise DR’ date meaning that if your PERM was filed before 1 June, 2018, then you can email them to ask for status update.
            Also, your employer has to email and not you.

8. Vijay Sharma
    Vijay Sharma 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

In this site i am seeing PERM Prevailing Wage Determination receipt date is showing from 1 sep – 15 oct and my case went for determination on 14 Nov. Could you please let me know by when i can get the approval for wage determination.

Vijay Sharma

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

You should get result by April 2019 first week.

9. Dipu
    Dipu 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

My case went for prevailing wage determination on late october. I see they processing PW from sep 1 to october 20. From this timeline, could you please let me know when I can get approval from DOL for prevailing wage determination. Thank you

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

You can expect result by feb 2019 end.

10. Beka Bakhtadze
    Beka Bakhtadze 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

PERM submitted Sep.20’th, Approved Jan.10’th.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Thanks for sharing your case detail. We appreciate it.

11. Anil Gupta

I cannot comment on what other websites show. You should ask the website contact to know what data they show.