Current PERM Processing Time 2019 – PWD, Audit Case

23 Jul, 19

PERM processing time is 3 months. PWD approval is taking 3 months.

PERM auditing is done for 30% of cases by requesting job advertisement and employer documents. US department of labor (DOL) also conducts supervised recruitment to find fraud. Audit cases are taking 6 months for approval.

PERM Processing Time

Job Ads
PWD
PERM
i140

Check PERM Status Online
A-
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.

Status
Approval Date
Status
Expect Approval On or Before DateBETA

PERM Approvals
NumberReceiptStatus
Pending  Approved  RFE,   Denied  Your case  Verified Status

PERM is first step in US green card process. PWD and PERM approval are required for H1B (EB2, EB3) and L work visas applicants based on their ETA Form 9089 filing with DOL.

USCIS does not process PERM.

Check PERM Case Status Online

PERM Checker: Use your PERM ETA case number to check your PERM approval status online above. The PERM case number starts with the letter ‘A’ which means your case is at PERM processing center in Atlanta.

The A number has the year and day of the year embedded in it. The number is assigned to your PERM case when your employer or attorney creates the case in online DOL system for the first time. Your employer may or may not submit the case on same day to DOl for approval.

PERM Analyst review means that your case is worked on by DOL Analyst.

ETA Case Number format is A-NNNNN-NNNNN with 10 digits and the Alien number (also called A number) under beneficiary section on I-140 Approval Notice is A-NNN-NNN-NNN with 9 digits. Note that both numbers are different and have different purpose.

PERM Application Status Meaning

# CERTIFIED

PERM certified status means it has been approved and is valid for 180 days from the date of approval.

# CERTIFIED EXPIRED

PERM certified expired means that PERM was approved but was not used within 6 months to file i140 with USCIS.

This PERM has expired and a new PERM should be filed to get a new Green card priority date. It is possible to request the same priority date from old expired PERM but USCIS may or may not port the date. It depends on USCIS discretion.

Many people have also reported that their i140 was approved after PERM but the status still shows as ‘Certified Expired’ on DOl website and in above case status check. There is not need to worry as it is possible that DOL database is not updated and is showing wrong information.

# WITHDRAWN

PERM application was withdrawn by employer.

# DENIED

PERM application was denied by DOL.

Green Card Priority Date – PERM?

Your US Green card priority date is the date when you file your PERM application with DOL and not the date when the case was created online.

#1 Employment Based

If your GC needs PERM labor certification, the priority date is the date on which the DOL receives ETA Form 9089 (PERM application form).

If your GC does not need labor certification like EB1 and NIW cases, the priority date is the date of filing form I-140, I-526 or I-360.

#2 Family Based Green Cards

The GC priority date is the date U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receives the Form I-130 petition.

H1B 7th year extension with pending PERM

How long does PERM approval process can take in not in your hand but you can file H1B 7th year extension (after completing 6 year quota) if your PERM has been pending for more than 365 days including audit time.

Experience letter for PERM – Skill Letter

Use PERM experience letter sample to get skills listed on old employer’s letter head as an employment verification. This may be needed to prove your skills for the job description that is relevant for your PERM application, if your case is selected for PERM Auditing. The letter also explains how to write job description for PERM.

Normally, 30% of PERM applications are selected randomly for Audit.

PERM in H1B 6th year – Can H1B be extended?

You cannot apply for H1B 7th year extension unless your PERM gets approved before your 6th year ends if you apply PERM during 6th year. PERM has to be either approved or pending (waiting) for more than 365 days on the last day of H1B 6th year.

As a solution to this problem, attorney’s suggest to re-capture vacation time spent outside USA and extend your 6th year end date.

PERM Premium Processing

There is no premium processing available for PERM application. i140 application has premium and can be used to speed up filing 7th year H1B extension if you are near your max out time.

PERM Approval Delayed

Your employer can contact DOL Helpdesk for a status on the application at plc.atlanta@dol.gov. You cannot call DOL for your PERM status check.

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. Jayanth
    Jayanth

My Perm was Filed on March 14th, still my perm not certified is it something i need to worry ? also i do see some April Perm are getting certified… My Max out is Sep 15 2019, do you think i can get I140 approved before my max out? Please advise.

Jay

2. shruti_mahajan
    shruti_mahajan

Thank you @Anil.Gupta for your answer :slight_smile:

3. shruti_mahajan
    shruti_mahajan

Hi @Jayanth,

Last week, my attorney informed me that there is an audit for my case. So now it might take another few months for the approval.

Shruti

4. Ashish_Chaudhari
    Ashish_Chaudhari

Thanks Anil for your comments.

5. Jayanth
    Jayanth

Hi Roopa,

Am also in the same situation, my Perm was filed on March 14 and still waiting for an update. My attorney advised the same to exit the country 5 days before the max out (max out is Sep 15, 2019).

Jay

1. PermChaser15
    PermChaser15 1 Mar, 19 at 4:44 pm

@spot_anil_gupta:disqus My perm was filed on 15th October, 2018. I have not heard anything from DOL till date. I emailed my attorney they say it is in process. What should I do??

• PermChaser15
      PermChaser15 1 Mar, 19 at 4:57 pm

@spot_anil_gupta:disqus Also, How should I know that my employer has filled my perm? They have given me a case number starting with Letter “A”, and asked me to sign an application before submitting. Also, when I ask them to forward me the acknowledgement that they would have received from DOL upon submission, they say they do not share it with perm applicant. But they did sent me the screen shot of ETA foreign labor certification page with my case number, date prepared as “10/15/2018” and status as “In Process”.
      I have one more question, Is “date prepared” on ETA foreign labor certification page same as date of filing or in short the priority date ?

As per my estimation you should have received the PERM approval by now. If not, you can get it anytime now.

• PermChaser15
          PermChaser15 1 Mar, 19 at 6:02 pm

@spot_anil_gupta:disqus How about the date prepared shown on the ETA site. Is it same as date of filing thus same as priority date??

• PermChaser15
            PermChaser15 1 Mar, 19 at 6:12 pm

@spot_anil_gupta:disqus Also, one more question, does the case number starting with “A” means that it was submitted at Atlanta, DOL office…??

All PERM applications are processed at Atlanta service center.

• PermChaser15
              PermChaser15 1 Mar, 19 at 6:22 pm

2. RM
    RM 1 Mar, 19 at 6:52 pm

My PERM was filed today and my lawyers website shows that it there are 8 steps in the govt. procedure, while at the same time they said DOL doesnt provide any status updates. Does the DOL send email updates to the lawyer team who filed PERM and if yes can those emails be used to estimate progress of the application?
    Thanks!
    rgds,
    RM

I am not sure if any regular updates are sent to employer for PERM.

3. ipoddave
    ipoddave 1 Mar, 19 at 3:29 pm

My PERM was filed in Oct 18, but it was audited in Jan 19. My lawyer submitted the audit review in Feb 19. The current status on your website and icert indicate audit is being processed to the month in July 18. Is the audit date counted from the original filing date or the audit submission date? What timeframe do I expect the approval on this? Thanks.

You can count the Audit date from the first PERM case file date.

You an expect your PERM approval by April 2019 third week.

4. Atul Jha
    Atul Jha 1 Mar, 19 at 9:36 am

Hi Anil ,

My prevailing wage determination has filled on 30 Jan 2019 by when I will expect the approval on this .
    Atul Jha

You can expect your prevailing wage determination result by May 2019 end.

5. SHRI
    SHRI 28 Feb, 19 at 7:16 pm

Hi Anil
    I still have 1.5 yrs left in my h1b for maxout from now..i hav filed my current amen+extension in premium processing last week and it went to rfe…considering the response time from my employer it will tske arounx 90 more days to reply to uscis..so i will get results by may mid so it will be 1.3yrs left on h1 do u really think this time is sufficient to find new employer and file perm and get i140 approved before my max out time in Aug2020..pls advice

New employer may not start your GC process immediately on your joining but if they do, 1.3 years should be fine if employers files all applications quickly.

6. Leigh Gates
    Leigh Gates 28 Feb, 19 at 3:42 pm

Hi Anil
    My PERM case was filed 5th October, can you tell me when I can expect to be certified?

Your PERM should get approval anytime.

Are you sure it is PERM case and not PWD?

• Leigh Gates
        Leigh Gates 28 Feb, 19 at 4:42 pm

My lawyer refers to it as PERM, we have already been through the whole PWD, we are just waiting for the final approval before we can submit forms to USCIS

Ok..then, it is PERM. Your application should have been approved by now as per my estimate.
          You can expect approval anytime.

• Leigh Gates
            Leigh Gates 28 Feb, 19 at 6:48 pm

Ok thanks Anil

7. Subhash
    Subhash 28 Feb, 19 at 2:06 pm

My PERM case has been certified and waiting for approval copy. my i 797 is expiring on 10th Apr but I-94 is valid till 20th Apr. I will be filling I-140 and will have to wait for approval. My question to you is are we supposed to file extension before I-797 expiry date or I-94 date? Can you please confirm.

You can file H1b extension before i94 expiry date and you should be good.

• Kumar
        Kumar 28 Feb, 19 at 5:34 pm

I was in same situation and my attorney told I 797 date is the date that governs H1B visa. Which means he has to file H1B by 10th April.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

8. John
    John 28 Feb, 19 at 10:05 am

Hi anil.
    When can i get my pwd if it was filed october 3rd to 4th week? Thanks

You can expect your PERM PWD approval my March 2019 3rd week.

9. Perm Status
    Perm Status 28 Feb, 19 at 8:11 am

In icert portal, if the PERM Case number is mentioned as Approved / Certified. Then, we can proceed for I-140 Filing correct.

Your employer will receive the official confirmation from DOL and a copy of approval. You need this PERM approval copy to file i140 application.

10. Kalyan
    Kalyan 27 Feb, 19 at 4:27 pm

Hi Anil, My perm file on Dec 17th when i should expect approval?

You can expect your PERM approval by April 2019 second week.

• Kalyan