Current PERM Processing Time 2019 – PWD, Audit Case

8 Sep, 19

Fastest PERM processing time is 45 days. Average PERM processing time is 3 months. PWD approval is taking 3 months.

Permanent Labor Certification auditing is done for 30% of cases by requesting job advertisement and employer documents. US department of labor (DOL) also conducts supervised recruitment to find fraud. Audit cases are taking 6 months for approval.

PERM Processing Time08 Sep

Job Ads
PWD
PERM
i140

Check PERM Status Online
A-
Please write correct digits from your receipt number.

Status
Status Date
Status
Expect Approval On or Before DateBETA

PERM Checker
Your PERM case compared with others around you

PERM Approvals
Number Receipt Status
Pending  Approved  RFE,   Denied  Your case  Verified Status

PERM is first step in US green card process. PWD and PERM approval are required for H1B (EB2, EB3) and L work visas applicants based on their ETA Form 9089 filing with DOL.

USCIS does not process PERM.

Check PERM Case Status Online

PERM Checker: Use your PERM ETA case number to check your PERM approval status online above. The PERM case number starts with the letter ‘A’ which means your case is at PERM processing center in Atlanta.

The A number has the year and day of the year embedded in it. The number is assigned to your PERM case when your employer or attorney creates the case in online DOL system for the first time. Your employer may or may not submit the case on same day to DOl for approval.

PERM Analyst review means that your case is worked on by DOL Analyst.

ETA Case Number format is A-NNNNN-NNNNN with 10 digits and the Alien number (also called A number) under beneficiary section on I-140 Approval Notice is A-NNN-NNN-NNN with 9 digits. Note that both numbers are different and have different purpose.

PERM Application Status Meaning

# CERTIFIED

PERM certified status means it has been approved and is valid for 180 days from the date of approval.

# CERTIFIED EXPIRED

PERM certified expired means that PERM was approved but was not used within 6 months to file i140 with USCIS.

This PERM has expired and a new PERM should be filed to get a new Green card priority date. It is possible to request the same priority date from old expired PERM but USCIS may or may not port the date. It depends on USCIS discretion.

Many people have also reported that their i140 was approved after PERM but the status still shows as ‘Certified Expired’ on DOL website and in above case status check. There is no need to worry as it is possible that DOL database is not updated and is showing wrong information.

# WITHDRAWN

PERM application was withdrawn by employer.

# DENIED

PERM application was denied by DOL.

PERM Green Card Priority Date

Your US Green card priority date is the date when you file your PERM application with DOL and not the date when the case was created online.

#1 Employment Based

If your GC needs PERM labor certification, the priority date is the date on which the DOL receives ETA Form 9089 (PERM application form).

If your GC does not need labor certification like EB1 and NIW cases, the priority date is the date of filing form I-140, I-526 or I-360.

#2 Family Based Green Cards

The GC priority date is the date U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receives the Form I-130 petition.

H1B 7th year extension with pending PERM

How long does PERM approval process can take in not in your hand but you can file H1B 7th year extension (after completing 6 year quota) if your PERM has been pending for more than 365 days including audit time.

Experience letter for PERM – Skill Letter

Use PERM experience letter sample to get skills listed on old employer’s letter head as an employment verification. This may be needed to prove your skills for the job description that is relevant for your PERM application, if your case is selected for PERM Auditing. The letter also explains how to write job description for PERM.

Normally, 30% of PERM applications are selected randomly for Audit.

PERM in H1B 6th year – Can H1B be extended?

You cannot apply for H1B 7th year extension unless your PERM gets approved before your 6th year ends if you apply PERM during 6th year. PERM has to be either approved or pending (waiting) for more than 365 days on the last day of H1B 6th year.

As a solution to this problem, attorney’s suggest to re-capture vacation time spent outside USA and extend your 6th year end date.

PERM Premium Processing

There is no premium processing available for PERM application. i140 application has premium and can be used to speed up filing 7th year H1B extension if you are near your max out time.

PERM Approval Delayed

Your employer can contact DOL Helpdesk for a status on the application at plc.atlanta@dol.gov. You cannot call DOL for your PERM status check.

USA USCIS Processing Time

1. Jayanth
    Jayanth

Thanks Anil for your reply… if perm was not certified after 90 days, does it mean that case was went to Audit? When we can reach out to DOL regarding the status after 90 days?

Jayanth

2. shruti_mahajan
    shruti_mahajan

Thank you @Anil.Gupta for your answer :slight_smile:

3. shruti_mahajan
    shruti_mahajan

Hi @Jayanth,

Last week, my attorney informed me that there is an audit for my case. So now it might take another few months for the approval.

Shruti

4. Ashish_Chaudhari
    Ashish_Chaudhari

Thanks Anil for your comments.

5. Jayanth
    Jayanth

Hi Roopa,

Am also in the same situation, my Perm was filed on March 14 and still waiting for an update. My attorney advised the same to exit the country 5 days before the max out (max out is Sep 15, 2019).

Jay

1. sridharmf
    sridharmf 25 Mar, 19 at 7:22 am

Hi Anil, I have another 7.5 months left on my H1B to max by Nov 2019. Is it really good idea to change the job now and if i change any possibility to get Privalling wage and Perm approvals? Please suggest.

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 8:45 am

You can’t get PWD and PERM approval in 7.5 months. I do not think it is a good idea to change at this time unless you already have an i140 approval which you can use to file h1b 7th year extension.

• sridharmf
        sridharmf 25 Mar, 19 at 8:46 am

Thx Anil for quick response. If i go out of country 1 or 2 months before max out, will that suffice to recapture vacation/unused portion time to get approvals? Will that still advisable?

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 9:53 am

Your question about H1B recapture time has been added to our forum and answered there as it was out of scope of this article.

You can ask follow up questions on forum iitself. We answer within 1-24 hours.

2. Brandon
    Brandon 22 Mar, 19 at 11:44 am

My PERM was on September 13 2018 and around the December 2018 my lawyer saw that the status of my application shown as “Timed out” but we havent recieved any email from the DOL. So they sent them an email. We havent heard anything from them so we were planning to reapply for the whole process (PWD, then PERM etc..) but then in the beginning of February 2019, my lawyer send me screen shot that my status is shown as “In Process” again. Since then I am waiting but it is still showing “In Process” . Has anyone had any similar case? Is this normal? What would you suggest? (and my H1B 6th year is ending in January 2020) I do appreciate for any help

Anil Gupta 22 Mar, 19 at 11:58 am

Sounds like a system issue on DOL side. Your application should be fine and will get result soon. Do not worry.

• Brandon
        Brandon 22 Mar, 19 at 11:58 am

Thanks for your super fast answer Anil. I do appreciate. Yes fingers crossed and waiting. I will updated the forum as well once hopefully it is approved

You are welcome.

3. Sridhar Adurthi
    Sridhar Adurthi 19 Mar, 19 at 10:29 am

Hi Anil, my employer is saying my PERM case is waiting for “Mandatory requirements” to be completed before filing. May I know what does it mean?

4. Ashalina fazrudeen
    Ashalina fazrudeen 18 Mar, 19 at 8:52 pm

I am completing 6 year max out by 15th April’2019 but still perm did not approved.
    Perm application filed on Dec’05 2018. My employer process my I140 and extension in premium.
    Is there any chance of getting I140 approved before ? if not, when should i leave country?

It is a good idea to leave US before 60 days of your H1B max out.
      You can expect your PERM approval by March 2019 end. You are pretty close and the time is less.

• Ashalina fazrudeen
        Ashalina fazrudeen 18 Mar, 19 at 9:01 pm

My attorney said there wont be any problem if stay till last day of max out. i am eligible to extend 3 yrs if i140 is approved. However i am planning to leave 1 week before expire. is that fine? or it would be problem.

There is no problem even if you leave on last day but the suggestion to leave 60 days before is for avoiding issues with future applications.
          Leaving 1 week before is also fine.

• Ashalina fazrudeen
            Ashalina fazrudeen 18 Mar, 19 at 9:20 pm

Can I apply I140(premium) and extension(regular) in parallel? Later upgrade extension to premium if I140 approved.

is this help me to continue my stay if I140 approved before max out?

You can apply H1B 7th year extension only with approved i140.

5. SATISH
    SATISH 18 Mar, 19 at 1:39 pm

Hello Anil, Do we need hard copy of PERM to apply I 140 in premium process? thank you.

What do you mean by Hard copy?
      PERM approval copy is needed to file i140 and you should wait for it to be received from DOL.

6. Cherry
    Cherry 14 Mar, 19 at 12:24 pm

Hi Anil, Is there any site in which we can check the PERM case status based on the priority date ? since we don’t have the case number at this point of time.

You can try checking the status of your PERM above.
      Otherwise, your employer can check the status online on DOL website.

7. Joay
    Joay 12 Mar, 19 at 9:38 pm

Hi Anil, How many days it will take to receive the hard copy after perm is certified.

7-21 days to receive the PERM result copy.

8. Anjali
    Anjali 12 Mar, 19 at 3:37 pm

Is there any time limit to file for I140 if Perm is certified . Thank you !

PERM approval is valid only for 180 days. Your employer will have to file i140 within this time.

9. Tarun
    Tarun 3 Mar, 19 at 7:52 pm

hi, My PD is 6th Nov, uptill now there is nothing from my our employer attorney. I am checking some other sites and it looks like some people have got receipt after my date too, my question is if there is some order in which application is picked or its random and I am one on the unlucky one?

Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. But, sometimes some applications may take more time as the case officer may be taking time to verify some of the paperwork.

It is normal. No need to worry. You will get approval soon.

10. kee
    kee 3 Mar, 19 at 2:13 pm

Hello,

Any suggestion is appreciated.

My PERM application was submitted on October 12th.

The PERM was Denied on the grounds saying my company did not respond to the questionnaire and there was no audit issued. My company on the other hand said they did reply to the the questionnaire and it might be a glitch on DOL’s side.

I am confused. Attorney says re-appealing takes 4 years. And the only option is to re-apply for the application again.

Is there anyone here who has applied for a “motion to reconsider” or ” reconsideration”? If so, what was the process and wait time?

Motion to reconsider is a long and painful process.
      Your attorney is right and the better option os to apply a new PERM application.