Passport with US Visa Stamp Stolen? How to get new Visa Stamp?

Passport with US visa stolen - report local Police. Report US embassy by email with copy of passport and visa. New Visa required for re-entry. Old Visa Cancelled.

Written by Am22tech
  By Am22tech      Updated  2 Mar, 20


File Police Complaint

The moment you realize that your passport has been lost, you should file a police complaint immediately in the country/city that you are currently in.
If you have the copies of your passport and US Visa, do carry them with you to Police station.

In India, this complaint is usually known as FIR (First Information Report).

Report Stolen Passport to US Embassy

If your stolen / missing / lost passport had valid US visa stamp, then you should also report the loss to US embassy that issued it to you.

It is possible that your old expired passport carried the US visa stamp, but you only lost the most current active passport (with no US visa stamp).
If your missing passport had no US Visa stamp, there is NO need to report it to US embassy.

Example, if you got your H1B visa stamped in US embassy, Delhi, India, you would report it to them.

Report on US embassy email: Get specific US Embassy or consulate email address.

Lost Passport Email content to USA Embassy

Mention this information clearly in the email:

Email Subject

Passport [STOLEN or LOST or BURNT] with USA VISA – [H1B or H4 or B1 or F1 or ANY OTHER]


Email Body content

  1. Your FULL NAME (First Name + Middle Name + Last Name).
  2. Your Date of Birth (Month-Date-Year).
  3. Your Place of Birth (City + Country).
  4. Your Address in United States (If you are/were staying in USA at time of passport loss).
  5. Your contact EMAIL address.


Email Attachment

Attach these documents to your email:

  1. Copy of Police complaint.
  2. Copy of lost passport – page 1 with your photo and passport number, if available.
  3. Copy of US visa, if available.

Is my Visa still valid if the passport is stolen and Reported missing to US Embassy?

Your US visa is cancelled immediately by US embassy on your report of stolen passport.

The US visa is cancelled automatically to avoid its misuse. Your US visa becomes invalid for travel.

But, if you are currently inside USA and you still have validity left on your i94, you can keep staying in USA even though your visa has been cancelled.
You need Visa stamp only for entering USA. Your stay within USA is governed by your i94 validity.

Secondly, you can normally apply for your visa extensions or amendments like in case of H1B visa. If your application is approved, you will get your nee i94.

Unless you travel outside USA, your situation will remain normal.
If you travel outside USA, you will need a NEW visa stamp from US embassy to re-enter.

I recommend buying a Travel Neck Wallet with RFID Blocking to keep your passport safe and always hanging around your neck.

Missing passport found. Is my US Visa still valid?

You cannot use a visa in your old passport that was previously reported as stolen.

If you reported your missing passport to US embassy, they would have already invalidated your Visa Stamp. Hence, it is no longer valid.

You will have to apply for a replacement US visa at US embassy.

Can US Visa be replaced in USA?

It is NOT possible to replace lost US visa in new passport in USA.  You have to travel to US embassy / consulate outside USA to get a new one.
But, your i-94 stays valid and you can stay in USA till its valid.


Can I enter US if my ‘passport with US visa’ was stolen?

If your passport was lost outside USA and it had Visa stamp, you cannot enter USA until you get a new passport and a new US visa stamp.

Apply for NEW Passport

Once you have lost your valid passport, you should apply for a new one immediately with your country’s embassy.

Example, if you are an Indian citizen, you can apply for new passport with Indian Embassy in USA.

Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States.
For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Documents required for replacement of lost U.S. visa

  • Your name, date and place of birth, nationality, your address and phone number.
  • A photocopy of the lost visa, if available, or the date and place of issuance, if known.
  • A photocopy of the bio-data page of your lost passport, if available. If not, the nationality and number of your lost passport as well as the issuance and expiration dates, if available.
  • Written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa: When and how your passport was lost or
  • Copy of the police report for the lost passport.

Scan Passport, US Visa

I strongly recommended to always keep a scanned copy of your passport and visa. This would come handy if you lose the original copies and will help your country’s embassy and US embassy to fetch your records.

You can use free mobile software like CamScanner, or Adobe Scan to scan your document using your iPhone, Google Pixel or Samsung Smartphone.

You can upload the scanned PDF file on cloud service like Google Drive or Dropbox from your mobile.

Source: website

Comments are closed. Have a question? Ask in forum

  30 Useful Questions & Answers

  1. sayali tanpure
    sayali tanpure 23 Jan, 20 at 6:15 pm

    I lost my passport with F1 visa and m graduating this semester. do I need to go back to India immediately for stamping?

  2. Akhil John Joseph
    Akhil John Joseph 8 Jan, 20 at 1:41 pm

    My Passport with us visa b1/b2 has been stolen from Canada . I’ve emailed us embassy . I’ve Got my new Indian passport from Toronto . Now do I Need to book appointment to go to the US embassy to get my replacement visa stamped? Or can I just walk in With all the above mentioned copies ? And how much will be the cost to get the replacement Visa stamped on my new passport ?
    Thank you

  3. vikas
    vikas 16 Dec, 19 at 2:37 pm

    I’m on a M1 visa in the US, i had lost my passport with the visa,got a replacement passport from the indian embassy, I’m planning to go to Canada to get my visa stamped on the new passport,can you please provide link to apply for visa stamping in Canada, do i need to fill DS160 again?To whom should the above mentioned details be sent? Can i visit the embassy in Canada without appointment with the required documents and get the visa stamped?Kindly help.

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 16 Dec, 19 at 2:37 pm

      You have to fill the DS160 again and take the appointment to get new visa.
      Use google to search Canadian site for US visa application.

  4. Niveditha Dasyam
    Niveditha Dasyam 11 Dec, 19 at 10:38 am

    Hello Sir,
    I have emailed US Embassy in Toronto, Canada.
    Please Advice me on the next steps.
    Thank you.

  5. Parjot Chahal
    Parjot Chahal 6 Nov, 19 at 1:45 pm

    Hlo sir ,
    I am seaman ,sailing onboard ship. Recently I lost my indian passport with valid USA C1/D (seaman Visa) on it. Ship was in international water( outside Jurisdiction ) of USA . We were heading towards offshore Galveston,USA.
    Then I applied for Indian Passport at Consulate General India,Houston. I got new passport.
    By end of this month I will be in India .
    Now I want to apply for USA C1/D visa .As per your above Article I got all docs – scanned lost passport and scanned lost visa.
    But as we were in international water so police complaint wasn’t applicable in our case.
    So without police complaint and attaching other scanned docs shall I apply for new USA C1/D visa or any other procedure ??

    Thanks in advance

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 11 Nov, 19 at 3:20 pm

      You should be able to apply for new visa. I don’t think it should be an issue as long as you have a valid reason.

  6. Henil Kukadia
    Henil Kukadia 16 Jul, 19 at 10:10 am

    Hi Mr. Anil, I lost my Indian Passport in USA with Valid USA Visa stamp in it. I have received the new passport from consulate general of India, USA but with no VISA in it. I’m planning to go back to India in some time, Do I have to go for an interview again for a new VISA or is there something like a dropbox service ?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 16 Jul, 19 at 11:03 pm

      You will not be eligible for dropbox as your passport was lost.

      You will need to get a new visa stamp to enter US.

  7. Nuts
    Nuts 8 Jun, 19 at 2:34 pm

    Hi I lost my Indian passport with us valid visa in New York . I already applied for a reissue of the passport but how am I supposed to get my us visa stamped back on my reissued passport?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 8 Jun, 19 at 4:18 pm

      If you have read the article above, you have go outside of US and get then US visa stamp.
      You cannot get new stamp while staying in US as its issued by US embassy.

      You also need to send email to US embassy to cancel your lost visa to avoid misuse.

  8. Span
    Span 22 May, 19 at 2:29 pm

    My Indian passport with a valid H1B stamp got stolen in Europe. I have applied for the new passport under “Tatlkaal (emergency)” category. I have flight that leaves in 3 days.

    What is the fastest means of getting the H1B visa stamped on the new passport?
    US Embassy from which country in Europe will process fastest?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 22 May, 19 at 2:42 pm

      You should apply for H1b visa in the closest US embassy. We do not have any data about where you can get it the fastest.

      Also, did you create a police report and informed US Embassy by email?

  9. Angela Mclaren
    Angela Mclaren 16 May, 19 at 6:35 am

    The passport with the B1 tourist visa has been lost. The website is directing me to fill in the 1-102 Form. Is this correct ? and if so can you tell me where to submit the form, how much does the replacement cost, and the approximate time it takes to replace the visa

  10. Angela Mclaren
    Angela Mclaren 16 May, 19 at 6:49 am

    I lost a passport with a valid visa to the US. Do I use the 1-102 form to replace?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 16 May, 19 at 8:06 am

      Which website are you talking about? Form I-102 is to apply for replacement i94 and not visa.

      You should first report your passport loss to police and then to the US embassy that issued your visa. You can find the US embassy address from their embassy website.

  11. Micheal Oyenekan
    Micheal Oyenekan 3 May, 19 at 1:04 am

    I changed my visa from a B2 to an F1 visa while i was in the united states and i got an approved letter but haven’t had the chance to go out of the country to get my new visa in my passport. However, recently my visa that include my B2 visa and passport got stolen. I got my passport but does have my visa. What do i have to do to get my visa back? Do i apply for an F1 visa or a Replacement of a B2 visa? (keep in mind my B2 visa already expired). Lastly can i go to a US embassy in Canada to do it or i can only go to my home country?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 3 May, 19 at 6:34 am

      If your B2 visa was already expired, then it does not matter as you have to apply for a new B2 anyway whenever you want to use it.

      If you want a new B2, you should apply normally.

      The F1 visa was never stamped in your passport, so it does not matter either

  12. Hena Basha
    Hena Basha 7 Apr, 19 at 12:44 am

    Hi Ive lost my son’s passport which had a 10 year validity for the US tourist visa .what is the procedure now…my son is 6 years old! Will I have to apply for a new one ?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 7 Apr, 19 at 5:28 am

      Please read the procedure in above article. Everything has been mentioned.

  13. Kirsten Margaret
    Kirsten Margaret 16 Mar, 19 at 12:16 pm

    I lost my valid passport while on vacation in USA, but my B1/B2 US visa is attached to i my old passport which is still with me.
    I left USA with a new issued passport, Im worried that my 10 yr. Multiple visit visa will be cancelled

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 16 Mar, 19 at 12:53 pm

      Why are you worried that your US visa will be cancelled when it was stamped in the passport that was never lost?

  14. Shree
    Shree 21 Nov, 18 at 7:27 am

    Hi, thank you for this informative article. I am in the process of applying for renewal of my visa. My previous passport expired in 2010 and it had old H1B visa stampings. The current passport has the 2 recent H1B stampings. My previous (old) passport is no longer with me. During the renewal process, I will be submitting the current passport only. Will I run into any issues? Any insight will be highly appreciated.

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 21 Nov, 18 at 7:41 am

      Hi Shree,
      Did you face any issue with H1B stamping in current passport?
      If not, then no need to worry.

      • Shree
        Shree 21 Nov, 18 at 9:32 am

        Hi Anil, I have not faced any issues so far on the stampings in the current passport. Hopefully, per what you said, they won’t ask for the old passport during the current renewal process. Thanks a bunch for sharing your thoughts! Much Appreciated!!!

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 21 Nov, 18 at 10:14 am

          They usually do not ask for old passports if the old passport’s visa stamps have already expired.
          Since, you already got newer stamps after the old one, i do not see any issue.

  15. Chamaraj Urs
    Chamaraj Urs 29 Jun, 18 at 4:02 am

    I lost my Passport while traveling back to India from USA at Qutar Airport. I was issued an emergency certificate (EC) for continuing my journey from Qatar to India. After reaching India I got my duplicate (New) pass post issued. My US Visa (Tourist) was issued for 10 years and still has validity for 6 more years. IS there a provision to send my nes passport to US embassy for the Visa stamping for the balance validity period OR should I follow the same procedure of applying for fresh US Visa ?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 29 Jun, 18 at 6:21 am

      You have to apply for new visa in US embassy in the same way you applied it earlier. You can show the old visa copy (if you have it) and they will consider it.

      • Sirisha
        Sirisha 6 Aug, 18 at 8:28 am

        Does the processing of Visa to replace a lost take any longer than applying for a new Visa? Was wondering if it goes through some kind of police investigation process for the replacement .

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 6 Aug, 18 at 8:56 am

          If might take a bit longer as US embassy might do some background checks. We can’t really guess as to what they will do.
          Normally, if you are re-applying for it in same US embassy that issued it in first place, you should get it faster than any other country/place.

Ask Question in forum