This article will discuss:
- File Police Complaint
- Report Stolen Passport to US Embassy
- Is my Visa still valid if the passport is stolen and Reported missing to US Embassy?
- Missing passport found. Is my US Visa still valid?
- Can US Visa be replaced in USA?
- Can I enter US if my ‘passport with US visa’ was stolen?
- Apply for NEW Passport
- Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa
- Scan Passport, US Visa
File Police Complaint
The moment you realize that your passport has been lost, you should file a police complaint immediately in the country/city that you are currently in.
If you have the copies of your passport and US Visa, do carry them with you to Police station.
In India, this complaint is usually known as FIR (First Information Report).
Report Stolen Passport to US Embassy
If your stolen / missing / lost passport had valid US visa stamp, then you should also report the loss to US embassy that issued it to you.
It is possible that your old expired passport carried the US visa stamp, but you only lost the most current active passport (with no US visa stamp).
If your missing passport had no US Visa stamp, there is NO need to report it to US embassy.
Example, if you got your H1B visa stamped in US embassy, Delhi, India, you would report it to them.
Report on US embassy email: Get specific US Embassy or consulate email address.
Lost Passport Email content to USA Embassy
Mention this information clearly in the email:
Passport [STOLEN or LOST or BURNT] with USA VISA – [H1B or H4 or B1 or F1 or ANY OTHER]
Email Body content
- Your FULL NAME (First Name + Middle Name + Last Name).
- Your Date of Birth (Month-Date-Year).
- Your Place of Birth (City + Country).
- Your Address in United States (If you are/were staying in USA at time of passport loss).
- Your contact EMAIL address.
Attach these documents to your email:
- Copy of Police complaint.
- Copy of lost passport – page 1 with your photo and passport number, if available.
- Copy of US visa, if available.
Is my Visa still valid if the passport is stolen and Reported missing to US Embassy?
Your US visa is cancelled immediately by US embassy on your report of stolen passport.
The US visa is cancelled automatically to avoid its misuse. Your US visa becomes invalid for travel.
But, if you are currently inside USA and you still have validity left on your i94, you can keep staying in USA even though your visa has been cancelled.
You need Visa stamp only for entering USA. Your stay within USA is governed by your i94 validity.
Secondly, you can normally apply for your visa extensions or amendments like in case of H1B visa. If your application is approved, you will get your nee i94.
Unless you travel outside USA, your situation will remain normal.
If you travel outside USA, you will need a NEW visa stamp from US embassy to re-enter.
I recommend buying a Travel Neck Wallet with RFID Blocking to keep your passport safe and always hanging around your neck.
Missing passport found. Is my US Visa still valid?
You cannot use a visa in your old passport that was previously reported as stolen.
If you reported your missing passport to US embassy, they would have already invalidated your Visa Stamp. Hence, it is no longer valid.
You will have to apply for a replacement US visa at US embassy.
Can US Visa be replaced in USA?
It is NOT possible to replace lost US visa in new passport in USA. You have to travel to US embassy / consulate outside USA to get a new one.
But, your i-94 stays valid and you can stay in USA till its valid.
Can I enter US if my ‘passport with US visa’ was stolen?
If your passport was lost outside USA and it had Visa stamp, you cannot enter USA until you get a new passport and a new US visa stamp.
Apply for NEW Passport
Once you have lost your valid passport, you should apply for a new one immediately with your country’s embassy.
Example, if you are an Indian citizen, you can apply for new passport with Indian Embassy in USA.
Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa
Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States.
For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.
Documents required for replacement of lost U.S. visa
- Your name, date and place of birth, nationality, your address and phone number.
- A photocopy of the lost visa, if available, or the date and place of issuance, if known.
- A photocopy of the bio-data page of your lost passport, if available. If not, the nationality and number of your lost passport as well as the issuance and expiration dates, if available.
- Written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa: When and how your passport was lost or
- Copy of the police report for the lost passport.
Scan Passport, US Visa
I strongly recommended to always keep a scanned copy of your passport and visa. This would come handy if you lose the original copies and will help your country’s embassy and US embassy to fetch your records.
Source: travel.state.gov website