How to renew Indian Passport in USA after 10 years – step by step guidance for re-issue of passport with Cox and Kings in the jurisdiction of Indian embassy New York. The process is same for others including Houston (Texas), Washington DC, Atlanta (Georgia), Chicago (Illinois) and SFO (San Francisco, California) Indian consulate.
I got the Indian passport re-issued in USA via postal mail and at the time, when BLS was the company handling the process. This article has now been UPDATED to help you with Cox & Kings. Please let us know if you still find any BLS references here and we will update it.
If you are looking to get your child’s (minor) Indian passport renewed in USA, read here: Minor Child Passport Renewal
It is my advice to apply for renewal 1.5 months before the final expiry to mitigate any contingency and delays.
Officially, you can apply 1 year in advance and there is no time limit for the late comers!
You can apply at your leisure once the passport expires. The only thing that would pinch you is extra Sarkari documentation.
1. Documents required to renew Indian Passport in USA
- Expiring Passport (The most recent one). All other OLD passports, if any, are not required.
- 2×2 Inch photographs (White background, off-white is NOT allowed) – Total 3 in number.
This picture is same as you would have got for USA visa while in INDIA. I used the same pictures as I had an old stock.
You can also use them if your appearance has NOT changed much i.e. if you looks substantially different than what you were 10 years ago (like face fattening), you should get new pictures clicked.
A bit economical option would be ePassportPhoto. At the time of writing this article, they had the option of free delivery with just $1.5 per picture.
Most people use either CostCo or Sam’s club membership to get the passport photo economically. They charge approximately $4.96 for 2 of them.
Details of bad and good photographs here.
- Nationality Verification form
- CKGS Document checklist
- NRI passport renewal application form
- CKGS (Cox & Kings) Online Payment Receipt
- Change of Appearance form
- Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper
- Are you Married and want to add your Spouse name to new passport?
- Spouse’s Passport’s front (page with picture) and back page (with address) OR Green Card
- Marriage Certificate (Indian or any other).
- No: You are lucky. Move On :).
- First 5 pages of passport + last 2 pages. I included the first 5 numbered pages along with the one having my picture.
First page with Photo, then page numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
The last two pages are supposed to include the ‘Observation’ page and I found two of them here as well. So, Included these two along with the page containing my address.
Page number 34, 35, 36 and last page with address.
This makes the total number of pages to be 10.
- (Optional) – For ECR Stamp – Copy of Highest Educational Qualification Degree.
- USA Address proof
Any one of these Remark Any utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) Must NOT be older than 3 months Driver’s License Front and back both are required State ID Front and back both are required Month to Month Rental Lease agreement Should not have expired at the time of submission. Home Mortgage bill Should be valid at the time of submission.
NOTE: US bank statement is NOT a valid address proof.
- Indian Address Proof – ONLY REQUIRED if you want to ADD or CHANGE Indian Address.
If you want to keep the Indian address (already on current passport) un-changed, you do not need to submit any Indian address proof.
Any one of these Remark Any Indian utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) Must NOT be older than 3 months Aadhar Card Indian Drivers license Recent Bank Statement from Indian Government bank.
Front page required.
Should have affixed photograph.
This is how SBI’s passbook with affixed and stamped photograph looks like:
- US Legal Status
Current Valid US Visa (Could be dependent Visa too) OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card (EAD) or I- 797 approval notice or Valid I-20.
Please note that US Visa – B1/B2 is not considered a valid visa for passport reissue. Also, I94 is not a valid Proof.
2. CKGS Passport Application Forms
Start here. Sample values are provided here for your reference:
CKGS automatically fills up the National Verification for you, while you are going through their online process. You just need to print it.
Once done, move on to next tab.
Here is the sample for your reference:
All the forms except the Indian government’s NRI application form are automatically filled up by CKGS online application. You just need select appropriate options. They will be available for download, print and signing/notarization.
CKGS will ask you to fill up the Government’s form (on government’s website) at step 6 of their process.
3. Postal Envelopes, payment and shipping
We recommend that you choose CKGS’s shipping option to avoid any issues. They have collaborated with UPS and FedEx and both cost the same i.e. $15 each way. So, your total cost would be $30.
If you decide to choose your own shipping, you probably would not have many options. Remember that CKGS does not allow USPS as the option. If you choose USPS for shipping yourself, you will face issues while they try to ship the package back to you later.
Once you have selected the option, you can simply visit UPS/FedEx office, pick up the envelope and just send your package. There is no need to send return envelope, it will be taken care off by CKGS.
Payment is accepted only by online mode. Once you are at step 5, you will be asked to pay.
Please note your application’s web reference here before clicking the ‘Pay Online’ button.
4. Indian Government’s NRI passport Application form
Use this Indian passport renewal USA application form sample. This is a separate form than what you have already filled up on CKGS website. This one belongs to Indian embassy and has to be filled up separately on Indian government website here.
- CKGS recommends that you do NOT go and fill this form DIRECTLY. They want you to start the application process from their own website and their passport filing process will guide you to fill this government form at appropriate time. We also recommended the same.
If you fill the government’s form before CKGS, then CKGS has a separate process and a tough one, for you. You will find it on their home page. We are assuming you started with CKGS.
IMPORTANT You will need a DIGITAL picture to upload. This government website does NOT give you an option to upload it later if you have moved past the upload photo step and return later!
Government form online link – Use for first time filling this form Government form online link – Use it, if you are re-visiting to complete partially filled form. You need your Temporary Application Id here (This is different than CKGS web reference ID). Print your application form, if you have ‘saved and exit’ the application. – You would need the Government site’s Web file number. This is shown to you on LAST page when you are done filling the form. This is different than ‘Temporary application ID’ and ‘CKGS web application reference’ ID.
Please note that this form contains about 29 fields/points and points 7 to 29 need to be filled manually with hand.
So, what should you do?
Fill whatever questions/fields are available to fill online on the form and then take a print.
Once you take a print, you will get 3 pages in total. Some of the fields (normally 1-6 on page 1) would be already filled and rest would be blank.
I did not feel any need for saving this form with partial information. You have all the information that this form needs at this point to fill and take print out.
- You should now have a print out of this form. Here is the sample form that you can use to fill your form. Use a BLUE or BLACK ink pen ONLY.
5. Self Attest and Notarize
- Your passport copy of First Five and Last two pages.
- Copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- Address proof (USA).
- Address proof (India).
- Copy of Marriage Certificate (ONLY If you are married).
- Spouse Passport copy (ONLY If you are married).
He may also ask you to sign the photocopy before he does.
- Change of Appearance Form.
Why not? Well, your town’s library or your Bank (most famous is Bank of America) and your own office (Almost all have notaries on their payroll) are the FREE options that I know and have utilized.
The paid ones (like USPS and others) should cost you around $5+ per page. So, to make it economical, use the free ones.
6. Packaging everything together
- Arrange the documents in the order as mentioned in CKGS document checklist. The checklist should be on top.
- Now, use a small letter style envelope to keep the passport. This is just to have an extra layer of protection. You can skip the envelope if you want.
- Original Passport (Remember – it has to be the most recent one that is about to expire or the most recent if it has already expired).
- Use paper clip or paper pins to tie all the above documents together. Do NOT use stapler.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Cox and Kings renewing the Indian passport or BLS International?
- What is the time frame for issuing new passport or completion of this application process?
- When is the tracking information started/updated on BLS website? Are you seeing BLS passport tracking no record found error?
- What should be selected in Point 13 ECR/ECNR if nothing is mentioned in the current passport?
- What documentary proof should be attached if you want status as ECNR on new passport?
- How to log back into CKGS website with Web reference number?
- The money order or cashier check or demand should be in favor of whom?
- I did not receive any email from BLS after submitting the passport order form.
- Which color pen should be used to fill the forms?
- In the National verification form, the date of leaving India is the first time of leaving India or last ( or most recent)?
- How many photographs are needed in total?
- What is observation page in Indian passport?
- What address to be printed in passport?
Is Cox and Kings renewing the Indian passport or BLS International?
Cox & Kings is the new service provider. BLS no longer handles passport renewal.
Indian passport renewal in USA processing time? What is the time frame for issuing new passport or completion of this application process? or how long does it take to renew Indian passport in USA?
The total processing time as provided by Cox & Kings if 8-10 business days (which effectively comes out to be 2 weeks including holidays). Add to this the mailing time and you can expect to have your new passport in 3 weeks.
What should be selected in Point 13 ECR/ECNR if nothing is mentioned in the current passport?
The ECR/ECNR status is available on page 2 of passport. If it is not there or nothing is mentioned in your passport, you can select ECNR on point 13.
What documentary proof should be attached if you want status as ECNR on new passport?
You can provide a photocopy of your highest educational qualification degree. I attached my MCA (Masters in Computer Applications) degree copy.
No notarization needed here.
It is advisable to Self-attest it with your signature and to clearly mark the photocopy with the purpose as “For ECNR – Documentary proof”.
How to log back into CKGS website with Web reference number?
CKGS website might confuse you on this point, if you have already started the passport application and saved it. The only way to go back and see your saved documents is to use their web reference number on the box provided at the BOTTOM of the their website.
Here is the sample screen shot:
The money order or cashier check or demand should be in favor of whom?
It should be in favor of:
Cox and Kings Global Services USA LLC
Which color pen should be used to fill the forms?
You can use BLUE or BLACK. I used BLUE. No other color option is available.
In the National verification form, the date of leaving India is the first time of leaving India or last ( or most recent)?
It is a pretty vague question. I entered my most RECENT date of leaving India.
How many photographs are needed in total?
Number of photos for Indian passport renewal in US is total 3 in number.
What is observation page in Indian passport?
The website says:
“photocopy of the first five pages and last two pages of the passport to be produced including observations”
I included the first 5 numbered pages along with the one having my picture. This makes it 5+1 = 6 pages.
The last two pages are supposed to include the ‘Observation‘ page and I found two of them here as well. So, Included these two along with the page containing my address. 3 pages were used here.
If you are having doubts about which one is Observation page, just check the last 2-3 pages of your passport. They would have ‘Observation‘ written either on top or bottom.
The total count of pages then goes to 6 + 3 Observation pages = 9.
If you want your Indian Address to be Printed in the Renewed Passport, what proof is required? Isn’t the Original Passport enough? I don’t have other Address Proof other than my Passport for my Indian Address.
The Indian address proof’s notarized copy is enough as a proof. The list of options is mentioned above.