B1 Visitor Visa – B2 Business – Documents, Sponsorship

Anil Gupta  18 Mar, 19      55  USA Visitor Visa - B1/B2

B1 / B2 Visa documents for sponsorship

If you are working on H1B or L1 visa in USA and want to invite your parents to USA for a temporary visit, you need these documents for their B1/B2 business/ visitor visa sponsorship:

  1. Passport copy – First page with your photo and last page with your address.
  2. I-797 copy.
  3. i-94 copy: You can get it from here on CBP website.
  4. Copy of last 3 W2 form. If you do not have any, just because you have recently come to USA, you do not need to send them.
  5. Stamped Visa copy, if any. You should have a valid legal status in USA. Your most recent valid visa that you used to enter USA.
  6. Most recent 3 pay stubs (could be last 3 months or last 3 payroll period stubs or pay slips).
  7. US bank account verification letter – You can request your bank to provide this letter. They normally charge $10 for this service. This letter should have this information:
    (1) Date account opened;
    (2) Total amount deposited for the past year; and
    (3) Present balance.
    If you cannot obtain this letter for any reason, then you can use last 12 months bank statement (your salary account). You can print it yourself by downloading it from your Bank account’s online system.
  8. Employment verification letter.
    If self-employed: then, use these documents:
    (1) Copy of last income tax return filed; OR
    (2) Report of commercial rating concern.
  9. Consulate Letter: Sample Consulate Letter available here.
  10. Invitation Letter: Sample Invitation letter available here.
  11. Sponsorship letter (Optional, but recommended) – Form I-134 – Affidavit for Support – Download this form and fill it up.
    Step by step instructions along with Pre-filled USCIS I-134 is available here.
    Sample Sponsorship letter:

B1/ B2 visa DS-160 form – application for US embassy visa interview

Whether you have someone in USA to sponsor you or not, you need to fill this form.
Fill up DS-160 form for your parents/relatives or friends for applying B1/B2 Visitor visa. You can either fill it up online and ask your parent to print themselves or fill + print yourself and send it to them along with other documents that you are sending.

USA B1/B2 visitor visa process and documents
USA B1/B2 visitor visa process and documents

B1/B2 applicant Documents for Visa Interview

All these documents are parent’s/ relative/ friend’s own documents

  1. Passport photocopy – Front, last page
  2. Address Proof – Any utility bill (landline Telephone Bill, water or electricity)
  3. Home ownership Papers (Optional, good to carry) – If they own any property, it is good to carry them with you to US consulate interview.
  4. PAN card (Optional, good to carry) 
  5. Photographs (Optional, good to have)  – Good to carry pictures with the person currently in USA as a proof of some relationship.
  6. Income Tax returns (Optional, good to carry)  – If applicant files income tax in India, you should carry originals at the time of interview.
  7. Original Birth Certificate (Optional, good to carry) 
  8. DS-160 form – Applicant can print it or you can send them bynmail after printing it with all other sponsorship documents.

Collect all sponsorship documents and own B1 or B2 visa applicant papers and carry them to Visa interview.

The documents required at OFC location (for fingerprinting and Visa photo are mentioned here).

B1/B2 visa application – Suggestions

  1. To apply for B1/B2 visitor visa, there is NO official supporting document list. The above document list is extensive and is based on experiences of other users.

    Sponsorship documents help to prove the legitimacy of sponsor’s valid legal status in USA and ability to pay for visitor’s stay.

    It is recommended to carry sponsor’s documents, if any, to US embassy visa interview as it MAY or MAY NOT be asked by Visa officer.

  2. B1, B2 or B1/B2 visas are non-immigrant visas. It is a single visa for both business and Visitor /tourist purpose.

    B1 visa is for travel to US for a strictly business related project.

    B2 is a tourist visa for travel to and within the US for a pretty broad range of tourist activities.

   Read all 55 Q & A

1 2

  1. Hi Anil
    OFC appointment is on this Wednesday only. Please provide your inputs

    I have created profile with my father’s name and added my mother in that profile and made B2 visa fee. After that I have taken visa interview appointment. In the appointment confirmation letter, it shows only My father’s name as applicant with number of applicants shows as 2. I do not find my Mother name and passport number

    On 2nd page (MRV Fee Receipt), it shows both names.

    Please let me know, if If this is expected or did I followed the wrong steps for the appointment schedule

    Thanks much

    • This is fine. No need to worry if you have taken appointment for both using same online account.
      You must have added your mother’s profile in your father’s online account itself. Right?

  2. Hi Anil
    I am trying to schedule the OFC and Interview schedule for my parents B2 Visa. OFC slots are available for next week but Interview schedule is not available until May3rd (1.5Months from now)

    Can we schedule the OFC slot for next week and Interview slot for May1st week with difference of 1.5Months

    Pls let me know

  3. Apoorva Mittal   15 Mar, 19 at 8:53 am

    Hi Anil, I am a Ph.D. scholar at a premier institute in India. I want to go to US for some research related work in a lab. I have invitation letter from that lab and permission letter from my institute. Can you please suggest what other documents can be needed while the interview for B1 visa? I am unmarried, what documents should I provide to prove my family ties and return to India.

    • Anil Gupta   15 Mar, 19 at 7:27 pm

      You can submit your current job’s payslips and leave or a letter from current employer/institute that you are going to US for research work.
      You can also show your property on your name.

  4. I got the Unique Beneficiary Account Number and IFSC code when I selected the option NEFT for Visitor Visa payment. I am trying to add this payee to my India Bank A/C but I see Savings/Checking option

    Can you let me know, I should select Checking or Savings option for the Visa Fee

    • Anil Gupta   14 Mar, 19 at 8:27 am

      Select “Checking account”.
      Checking account is a terminology used by US banks for “current account” as is popularly known in India.

1 2