B1 Visitor Visa Sponsor Documents
If you are working on H1B or L1 visa in USA and want to invite your parents to USA for a temporary visit, you need these documents for their B1/B2 business/ visitor visa sponsorship:
#1 Passport copy
First page with your photo and last page with your address.
#2 I-797A approval copy
Example: if you are working in USA on H1B visa, you can send a copy of your most recent h1B approval i797A.
#3 Your i-94 copy
The most recent i94 is attached to your i797A approval form if extension applied recently. You can also download i94 from CBP website.
#4 W2 form
I recommend to send last 3 years W2 form copy. If you do not have any, just because you have recently come to USA, you do not need to send them.
#5 Stamped Visa copy
You should have a valid legal status in USA. Your most recent valid visa that you used to enter USA.
#6 Most recent 3 pay stubs
#7 US bank account verification letter
You can request your bank to provide this letter. They normally charge $10 for this service. This letter should have this information:
- Date account opened;
- Total amount deposited for the past year; and
- Current balance.
If you cannot obtain bank letter letter for any reason, then you can use last 12 months bank statement (your salary account). You can print it yourself by downloading it from your Bank account’s online system.
If self-employed: then, use these documents:
- Copy of last income tax return filed; OR
- Report of commercial rating concern.
#8 Consulate Letter
#9 Invitation Letter
#10 Sponsorship letter (Optional, but recommended)
Form I-134 – Affidavit for Support – Download this form and fill it up.
B1/ B2 visa DS-160 form – application for US embassy visa interview
Whether you have someone in USA to sponsor you or not, you need to fill this form.
Fill up DS-160 form for your parents/relatives or friends for applying B1/B2 Visitor visa. You can either fill it up online and ask your parent to print themselves or fill + print yourself and send it to them along with other documents that you are sending.
B1/B2 Documents for Visa Interview
All these documents are parent’s/ relative/ friend’s own documents
- Passport photocopy – Front, last page
- Address Proof – Any utility bill (landline Telephone Bill, water or electricity)
- Home ownership Papers (Optional, good to carry) – If they own any property, it is good to carry them with you to US consulate interview.
- PAN card (Optional, good to carry)
- Photographs (Optional, good to have) – Good to carry pictures with the person currently in USA as a proof of some relationship.
- Income Tax returns (Optional, good to carry) – If applicant files income tax in India, you should carry originals at the time of interview.
- Original Birth Certificate (Optional, good to carry)
- DS-160 form – Applicant can print it or you can send them by mail after printing it with all other sponsorship documents.
Collect all sponsorship documents and own B1 or B2 visa applicant papers and carry them to Visa interview.
The documents required at OFC location (for fingerprinting and Visa photo are mentioned here).
B1/B2 Visa Application Suggestions
There is no official supporting document list for applying B1/B2 visitor visa.
The above document list is extensive and is based on experiences of other users. Sponsorship documents help to prove the legitimacy of sponsor’s valid legal status in USA and ability to pay for visitor’s stay.
It is recommended to carry sponsor’s documents, if any, to US embassy visa interview as it MAY or MAY NOT be asked by Visa officer.
B1, B2 or B1/B2 visas are non-immigrant visas. It is a single visa for both business and Visitor /tourist purpose. B1 visa is for travel to US for a strictly business related project.
B2 is a tourist visa for travel to and within the US for a pretty broad range of tourist activities.