Indian Embassy PCC Process (in USA for NRI)
PCC from Indian Embassy in USA by mail or in-person for Green card, Australia, Canada PR. Processing time 4 day to 6 week. Fees $27. Valid Visa, Address Proof, Passport.
Listen to this article
You can get an Indian police clearance certificate when you are staying in the USA, UK, Canada, or any other country from the Indian Embassy.
- Indian Embassy can issue PCC only if you are an NRI living outside India with address proof.
- If you are living in India, then the process is different and you need to apply PCC on the Passport India Website.
Police clearance might be required for Visa or immigration to countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand including USA green card interviews.
- Original Passport – Most recent and valid.
- USA Residence Address proof – Self-attested (Notary for SFO)- Check valid acceptable US address proof here.
- Photocopy of passport pages containing personal particulars (first three and last two pages) – Self-attested.
- Copy of valid Visa/Green Card – Self Attested (Notary for SFO).
- Indian Embassy Miscellaneous services form.
- Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago Indian Embassy in Chicago, and SFO also require an extra form with the name ‘Personal Particular Form’.
Validity of Indian Police Clearance
There is no expiry date mentioned on the Indian police clearance issued by the Indian consulate.
Indian PCC expiry based on the purpose:
- USA Green card interview: The common guideline is that it is valid for 12 months.
- Australia PR: Valid for 12 months.
- Canada PR: Valid for 6 months
The only exception is that you should have NOT moved back to INDIA and stayed there for 6 months or more.
If you have gone back to India after the issuance of the last Indian PCC and stayed there for more than 6 months (182 days), then you need to get a NEW Police clearance certificate.
PCC Processing Time
- Same Day in-person: Indian Embassy will issue the PCC immediately on the same day if you visit in person and your passport was issued by that embassy.
- 4-5 days by postal mail: If your most recent Indian passport was issued in USA (any consulate) or an Indian Embassy in the country where you are currently residing, the PCC is issued within 4-5 days by mail.
- 6-8 weeks: If your most recent Indian passport was issued in India, the embassy will send a police verification request to Indian RPO (regional passport office). It takes about 6-8 weeks to complete the whole process.
Miscellaneous Services Form
Download Misc Services Form from your specific India Embassy Website.
- Residing in USA – Houston- TX, New York City- NY, Chicago- IL, San Francisco- CA, Atlanta- GA
- Residing in Australia – VFS global handles Indian police clearance certificate
Use Sample Police clearance certificate India application form for Indian Embassy in Houston, TX, USA. The information required is the same except for the format.
Indian PCC Fees is USD 27 ($25 + $2) per person.
TOTAL = $25 + 2 + 20 = 47 (Get 3 separate checks).
Payment by Certified check or Money order is acceptable drawn in favor of “Consulate General of India” if sending the application by postal mail.
Cash is also accepted if visiting the embassy in person. Personal checks, Debit cards, and Credit cards are not accepted.
SFO, Chicago Personal Particulars Form
Here are answers to common confusing fields on this form:
#1 – Q 8(A) Permanent Address & Tel. No. along with Police Station.
Your Indian Address with the Police Station name that caters to your Home Address location when you were residing there.
#2 – Q 8 (b) Present Residential Address & Tel. No, along with Police Station and residing since
You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.
#3 – Q 9. If you have not been resident at the address given at COLUMN 8(b) continuously for the last one year, please furnish other address(es) with duration(s) resided (Please furnish an additional set of PP Forms for each address with Police station.
Write your US address
#4 – Q 10. References: Names and Addresses of two responsible persons in the applicant’s locality who can vouch for the applicant. Write any two neighbors/relative addresses from India residing near the Indian address you wrote in point 8(A).
- The embassy is only concerned with Indian addresses and their police stations. Remember, this PCC is only for your stay in India and not for the US.
- US police station information is NOT required. Whatever Police station was attached to your locality in your Indian residence time is what is needed.
How to Apply?
#1 Fill Miscellaneous Services Form
#2 Collect Fees
If sending by mail, an extra payment of $20 is required for return shipping. No email or soft copy is sent by the embassy.
Some Indian Embassy just requires you to send the return envelope instead of money. Check the website before sending money or an envelope.
#3 Fill Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago
#4 Package and Send by mail
#5 Keep Original passports with forms and send them to the Indian embassy by mail.
- No prepaid return envelopes are required by Houston Indian Embassy. The embassy will take care of it.
- NY Indian Embassy requires you to send ‘Return Envelope’, in which case, get an envelope from USPS, UPS, or FedEx (your choice) and buy their shipping label address to you.
Paste the label on the packet and put it in your sender envelope along with other documents.
#6 Your original passport will be returned with your police certificate.
Sample Indian PCC
Issued by Indian Embassy in Houston, USA
You can apply for Indian PCC at your local district police station if you are not a citizen of India AND you live in India.
A character Certificate is not the same as a police certificate.
Indian PCC is required for the Canadian Express Entry process.
Indian police clearance certificate is required for Australia PR.
There is no physical Police verification done at the Indian address.
If your passport was issued in India, the embassy sends the request to the Indian passport office and waits for their response.
You can send all family member’s PCC applications in the same package to the Indian Embassy.
You can send multiple fees checks and multiple applications in the same envelope.
Just make sure that you keep the application form and their fees check separately in a smaller envelope and then keep these smaller ones in the final bigger envelope.
This is helpful if you are applying for PCC for both you and your wife at the same time.
Recent discussion on forum
Valid i797 is perfectly fine.
Sorry for late response. This was missed somehow.
SFO Indian embassy has unusually long processing time. I don’t know why.
Sorry for late response. This was missed somehow.
If you apply in person, they will return the passport to you then and there after verification.
There is no need to be scared. You can send the passport by mail to Houston Indian embassy. That’s normal.
My passport was issued by SF consulate this April and I applied for PCC yesterday at the same consulate.
There is no same day turnaround for this request considering that passport is issued from the same consulate. Please remove this part from the article.
I still have to wait a month to receive PCC. Hopefully there are no delays on their part. I need this for Canada immigration and have a deadline of 30 days, I have asked for extension but haven’t heard back yet.
There is no expedited process for this request. Does any body has experience where it took more than a month to receive PCC? please share.
The extra time is taken only by SFO Indian embassy. All others issue within 1-2 days if the passport has been issued by Indian embassy in USA.
You can ask for extra time from Canadian ITA. I had answered a similar question for someone who was having same issue with Indian embassy in UK.
Comments are closed. Ask question on forum.am22tech.com
56 more replies