Indian Police Clearance Certificate – Embassy PCC

Indian police clearance certificate - PCC from Indian Embassy. Immigrate to Australia, Canada. Processing time 4 day - 6 week. Fees USD 27. Valid Visa, Address Proof, Passport.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  10 Jan, 20

You can get an Indian police clearance certificate when you are staying in USA, UK, Canada or any other country from Indian Embassy.

Police clearance might be required for Visa or immigration to countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand including USA green card interview.

If you are living in India, then the process is different and you need to apply PCC on Passport India Website.

Documents for Indian PCC

1. Original Passport – Most recent and valid.
  2. USA Residence Address proof – Self attested (Notary for SFO)- Check valid acceptable US address proof here.
  3. Photocopy of passport pages containing personal particulars (first three and last two pages) – Self attested.
  4. Copy of valid Visa/Green Card – Self Attested (Notary for SFO).
  5. Indian Embassy Miscellaneous services form.
  6. Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago Indian Embassy in Chicago and SFO also require an extra form with name ‘Personal Particular Form’.

Validity of Indian Police Clearance

There is NO expiry date mentioned on the Indian police clearance issued by Indian consulate.

The common guideline is that it is valid indefinitely for the purpose of submitting for USA Green card interview and other country’s immigration.

The only exception is that you should have NOT moved back to INDIA and stayed there for 6 months or more. If you have gone back to India after the issuance of the last Indian PCC, and stayed there for more than 6 months (182 days), then you need to get a NEW Police clearance certificate.

Indian PCC Processing Time

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in USA (any consulate) or an Indian Embassy in the country where you are currently residing, the PCC is issued within 4-5 days by mail.

Indian Embassy will issue the PCC immediately on same day if you visit in person and your passport was issued by that embassy.

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in India, embassy sends police verification request to Indian RPO (regional passport office). It takes about 6-8 weeks to complete the whole process.

Sample Miscellaneous Services Form

Download Misc Services Form form your specific India Embassy Website.

Residing in USAHouston- TX , New York City- NY, Chicago- IL, San Francisco- CA, Atlanta- GA

Residing in AustraliaVFS global handles Indian police clearance certificate

Use Sample Police clearance certificate India application form for Indian Embassy in Houston, TX, USA. The information required is same except the format.

Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form
Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form

Indian PCC Fees in USA

Indian PCC Fees is USD 27 ($25 + $2) per person.

TOTAL = $25 + 2 + 20 = 47 (Get 3 separate checks).

Payment by Certified check or Money order is acceptable drawn in favor of “Consulate General of India“, if sending application by postal mail.

Cash is also accepted if visiting embassy in-person.Personal checks, Debit cards and Credit cards are not accepted.

Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

Here are answers to common confusing fields on this form:

#1 – Q 8(A) Permanent Address & Tel. No. along with Police Station.

#2 – Q 8 (b) Present Residential Address & Tel. No, along with Police Station and residing since

You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.

#3 – Q 9. If you have not been resident at the address given at COLUMN 8(b) continuously for the last one year, please furnish other address(es) with duration(s) resided (Please furnish an additional set of PP Forms for each address with Police station.

Write your US address

#4 – Q 10. References: Names and Addresses of two responsible persons in the applicant’s locality who can vouch for the applicant. Write any two neighbors/relative address from India residing near your Indian address you wrote in point 8(A).

NOTE: Embassy is only concerned with Indian addresses and their police stations. Remember, this PCC is only for your stay in India and not for US.

NOTE: US police station information is NOT required. Whatever Police station was attached to your locality in your Indian residence time is what is needed.

Indian PCC Process

#1 Fill Miscellaneous Services Form

#2 Collect Fees

If sending by mail, an extra payment of $20 is required for return shipping. No email or soft copy is sent by embassy.

Some Indian Embassy just require you to send the return envelope instead of money. Check the website before sending money or envelope.

#3 Fill Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

#4 Package and Send by mail

#5 Keep Original passport with forms and send them to Indian embassy by mail.

No prepaid return envelopes are required by Houston Indian Embassy. Embassy will take care of it.

But some embassy like NY require you to send ‘Return Envelope’, in which case, get an envelope from USPS, UPS or Fedex (your choice) and buy their shipping label address to you.

Paste the label on packet and put it in your sender envelope along with other documents.

#6 Your original passport will be returned with your police certificate.

Sample Indian PCC

Issued by Indian Embassy in Houston, USA

Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy
Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy

You can apply Indian PCC at your local district police station If you are not a citizen of India AND you live in India.

Indian PCC is required for Canadian Express Entry process. Indian PCC is required for Australia PR.

Character Certificate vs Police Certificate

Character Certificate is not same as police certificate. You need police clearance for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA and UK permanent resident application.

Indian Police Verification at Indian address

Applied for PCC at passport office in INDIA? Police verification may be required.

Applied for PCC at Indian Embassy when staying outside India? If your passport was issued in India, the embassy sends the request to Indian passport office and waits for their response.

There is no physical Police verification done at the Indian address though.

Multiple Applications in One Envelope

You can send multiple fees check and multiple applications in same envelope. Just make sure that you keep the application form and their fees check separately in smaller envelope and then keep these smaller ones in the final bigger envelope.

This is helpful if you are applying PCC for both you and your wife at same time.

Australia Canada

1. Shauroseni
    Shauroseni

Hi
    We are applying for PCC from Consulate General of India, Atlanta.

For the purpose we need to send notarised copy of our VISA page on passport and I-94.

Our Visa stamp affixed on the passport have expired, but we do have a valid I-797. Should we send that instead of the VISA page?

Also could someone give us the information of how and where can we notarise these I-94 and I-797 documents?
    Thank you!
    Shauroseni

Hi @vivekcheekoti

If you apply in person, they will return the passport to you then and there after verification.

There is no need to be scared. You can send the passport by mail to Houston Indian embassy. That’s normal.

3. Divya
    Divya

My passport was issued by SF consulate this April and I applied for PCC yesterday at the same consulate.

There is no same day turnaround for this request considering that passport is issued from the same consulate. Please remove this part from the article.

I still have to wait a month to receive PCC. Hopefully there are no delays on their part. I need this for Canada immigration and have a deadline of 30 days, I have asked for extension but haven’t heard back yet.

There is no expedited process for this request. Does any body has experience where it took more than a month to receive PCC? please share.
    Thanks!

Hi @vivekcheekoti

It depends on who issued the passport and which Indian embassy you are applying to.

5. Divya
    Divya

My update- I got my PCC from SF consulate after 30 days. In my case, they sticked to 1 month turnaround time.

1. Uday
    Uday 16 Jun, 18 at 6:47 pm

I am from Telangana, India. After bifurcation, our districts were divided into small ones. When I applied for Passport, my district Was not divided. But now, my district was divided. My permanent address in India now and in passport is different( district was different). What should I do?

Anil Gupta 16 Jun, 18 at 9:59 pm

Hi Uday,
      I do not clearly understand your question.
      Are you facing any issue with filling the PCC application form?

What is the issue with changed district and applying for PCC?

2. Hemant Rawat
    Hemant Rawat 11 Jun, 18 at 6:42 pm

Greatly Appreciate your efforts. You have cleared some of crucial points on your blog.
    I am planning to apply for PCC in next 2 -3 days at Indian consulate , SFO. My passport was issued at this Consulate so I am hoping I will get PCC pretty soon but I have an upcoming travel starting 29 June and will be back in mid-July (I will be in India for 15 days). as per your blog, at-least 6 months stay is required in India to in-validate previously issued PCC so I do not need to re-apply for PCC after I return from India..right?

Also Can my wife take my documents (along with her’s ) on my behalf for in-person document submission? Do I need to provide her any kind of approval Affidavit ?

Best,
    Hemant

Anil Gupta 11 Jun, 18 at 7:32 pm

Yes, you would not need another PCC if you travel to India for just 15 days.
      Your original passport is needed for PCC. It is better you visit embassy yourself if you are planning to get it in person. Else, I would suggest to send all documents by mail.

• Hemant Rawat
        Hemant Rawat 11 Jun, 18 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for this feedback.
        I will visit myself for PCC . I hope consulate will not keep Passport during the entire PCC process? (otherwise I will not be able to travel overseas)
        Best,
        Hemant

Anil Gupta 11 Jun, 18 at 8:55 pm

In case of physical visit, they normally return the passport and PCC the same day. But, if they require more time, they will keep the passport with them.
          You will get to now about it at embassy itself.

• Hemant Rawat
            Hemant Rawat 13 Jun, 18 at 3:47 pm

I got feedback for some of my additional queries so thought of sharing here :

Hi There,
            I and my spouse wish to apply for PCC. My new Passport was issued at your Consulate Office(SFO) but my Spouse’s Passport was issued in India.

I have 2 queries :

1) I know for in-Person visit we do not need to notarize our documents. So can my wife alone visit your office and submit both her and mine’s documents. She will bring both Original and photo-copy of both of our documents.

Answer from Consulate : Both of you need to come to submit.

2) I will be travelling to India starting 29 June and returning on 15h July . And I was planning to start this PCC process before my India Travel so wanted to know if we need to deposit the passport while the entire PCC verification is in progress ? I just want to make sure my passport is with me while I am travelling to India.

Answer from Consulate : In case you submit in person can take back your passport after verification

Best,
            Hemant

Anil Gupta 13 Jun, 18 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Hemant for sharing the details. I appreciate it. It is certainly going to help other users.

3. Aditi
    Aditi 5 Jun, 18 at 10:16 am

Hello – I desperately need some help and advice please.
    I got my new passport from India in 2015 Sep. Post travelling to USA, the police verification report came adverse.
    Now I need to travel back for a visit next month and go for a Visa stamping. I dnt want the Police verification to have an impact on my visa stamping.
    So I called the Indian embassy of NYC and they advice me to get a PCC.
    Then send the documents to RPO and initiate a Police verification.

I have the following questions please:

1) How long will the PCC take ? Should I visit in person , and If I do, will I get the PCC on the same day ?
    2) How will it initiate a Police verification when I am in USA ?
    3) With the PCC, can I schedule my Stamping Interview Before POlice verification ?

Anil Gupta 5 Jun, 18 at 10:35 am

I have already answered these questions in above article if you read through it carefully.
      1. PCC issuance by Indian embassy takes about 3-4 weeks if they have sent your request to Indian RPO.
      2. The Indian embassy sends request to Indian passport office in India where you last passport was issued.
      3. I am not sure why do you need PCC for visa interview unless US embassy specifically asks for it.

4. Raj
    Raj 30 May, 18 at 3:20 pm

My passport was issued at chicago and applied for PCC and received the same day when i applied in person on friday.
    I applied in the morning and got it afternoon.

Anil Gupta 30 May, 18 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Raj for sharing the information. We appreciate it.

• Priya
      Priya 23 Aug, 18 at 12:27 am

Hi Raj and Anil,

I am planning to apply for PCC in Chicago but Chicago Embassy has another “Personal Perticulars Form” apart from the “Application form”. What is this Personal Particular form is about? In the Personal Perticulars Form, I need to provide “Application file number”, “present and permanent address with police station”, “References” etc. I am not aware of all these fields like, I don’t know what to fill in application number, whether the present & permanent address would be my Indian address and can my parents name be put as my references.

It will be really helpful if can share a sample format of this form like you shared the other forms. Also in Chicago Embassy website, the return mailing fee amount is not mentioned. I was trying to call them couple of times, but no one picked my call. I found your website, so thought of checking with you.

Thanks in advance.

5. Abhay
    Abhay 24 May, 18 at 3:29 pm

How do i go about the Personal particulars form http://www.cgisf.org/pdf/ppertpro.pdf ?
    I am very confused about section 8), 9) and 10)
    Can you help here ?
    anyone else has done it recently through sf consulate ? I tried to call them regarding details but no one is responding.

Anil Gupta 24 May, 18 at 3:41 pm

8(a) = Your Indian Address with the Police Station name that caters to your Home Address location when you were residing there.
      8(b) = You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.
      9. Write your US address.
      10. Write any two neighbors/relative address from India residing near your Indian address you wrote in point 8(A).

Does that help?

• Abhay
        Abhay 24 May, 18 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Anil. Thank you for clearing the confusion on 8)
        However, for 9) I have 2 doubts.

1) I have been living in US for about 10 years now. Do i have to fill all the addresses with additional PP forms ? It says “Please furnish an additional set of P P Forms for each address with Police station”

2) Do I have to supply the police station information. I have many police station near me. Do we give the address or just the name (for e.g. San diego police department) ?

Appreciate your help..!!!

Anil Gupta 24 May, 18 at 4:13 pm

1. No. You do not need to furnish additional PP forms. Embassy is only concerned with Indian addresses and their police stations. Remember, this PCC is only for your stay in India and not for US.
          2. US police station information is NOT required. Whatever Police station was attached to your locality in your Indian residence time is what is needed.

By the way, if you are living in US for 10 years, why do you need an Indian PCC? For most of the immigration, only last 10 years of PCC is required.
          If you are in US for last 10 years, then you would need FBI Clearance only.

• Abhay
            Abhay 24 May, 18 at 4:22 pm

I should have said *almost* 10 years, few months still remaining on that.
            Anyways, my wife would need it anyway. Thank you very very much for clarifying this.

Cheers

Anil Gupta 24 May, 18 at 5:35 pm

Great. You are welcome.

• Satish Devan
                Satish Devan 12 Jun, 18 at 5:05 pm

Hi Anil/Abhay,

I came to US in August 2010 and I am running into same confusion on whether we need to provided history of US address.

In section 9 what would be From and To date?

Anil Gupta 12 Jun, 18 at 6:05 pm

You have to mention from and to separately for EACH address that you have stayed in. This is ONLY applicable for Indian address.

• Satish Devan
                    Satish Devan 12 Jun, 18 at 6:16 pm

Ok. So in short just give my current US address, correct?

Anil Gupta 12 Jun, 18 at 7:47 pm

8(b) = You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.
                      9. Write your US address.

• Satish Devan
                      Satish Devan 13 Jun, 18 at 10:43 am

Alright! Thanks much Anil!

One less confusion 😀

6. Raj
    Raj 23 May, 18 at 10:46 am

I am applying for PCC at chicago consulate in person.I got my passport from chicago consulate.
    Do they have same day service??
    I know one of my friend got it the same day in Huston, Not sure about Chicago??

Anil Gupta 23 May, 18 at 11:01 am

If your passport was issued by Indian Embassy, then, yes you might get it back the same day.
      it depends on Embassy work load too. But, normally, when you apply in-person, they usually issue it the same day.

• Raj
        Raj 23 May, 18 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Anil.

7. Gautham
    Gautham 23 May, 18 at 10:17 am

Hi! This is really useful. I’ve a unique situation. So my latest passport was issued from the Indian Consulate in Atlanta, USA. But I currently reside in Canada and I’m applying for a PCC from Vancouver for my Canadian PR application. How does this effect my processing time ? Appreciate your response and Thank you!!

Anil Gupta 23 May, 18 at 10:21 am

I think you will get it within a week since your passport was issued by Indian Embassy.
      Normally, the request is sent to Indian passport office if the last passport was issued from Indian Passport office.

• Gautham
        Gautham 23 May, 18 at 10:47 am

Great, thank you!!

8. Divya
    Divya 22 May, 18 at 3:43 pm

Hi! Really helpful info, thanks! Could you please tell us how we receive the final PCC – is it emailed or sent by post? I can’t see an option to select any of this. It’s a completely offline process, not sure how they notify us or how we can track the progress of our application? Thanks!!

Anil Gupta 22 May, 18 at 4:18 pm

You have to send a money order for return shipping. Embassy will return your original passport and PCC by post.
      There is no email whatever. Whole process is offline.
      There is no option of checking status online from embassy. The only option is the mail tracking service that you can buy from USPS or UPS or Fedex depending on which carrier you choose to ship your documents.

• Divya
        Divya 23 May, 18 at 9:46 am

Is it better to send a money order for the return (and for what amount)? Or a pre-paid return envelope? Their website instructions are confusing. Thank you!

Anil Gupta 23 May, 18 at 10:20 am

Which Indian Embassy are you applying to? Each one have different requirement.
          For Houston Indian Embassy, you need to send a money order for $20 specially for return shipping. They take of return envelope themselves.

• Divya
            Divya 23 May, 18 at 12:50 pm

Sending to the San Francisco embassy – http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/143/236 They haven’t mentioned the $20 money order for return shipping. Only prepaid return label thing for attestation of docs. I’m only getting the PCC. Not sure what’s applicable in my case. I’ve been trying to call them as well, they aren’t answering their calls. Please advise the best thing to do? Thank you for your diligent responses.

Anil Gupta 23 May, 18 at 1:03 pm

For PCC from SFO Embassy, they have clearly mentioned to send a ‘Pre-paid return envelope’:

“If you want to receive the attested documents back through mail, send a trackable pre-paid return mailing envelope (USPS ‘Express Mail’ or FEDEX etc.) ”

So, Just buy prepaid shipping label from either USPS or Fedex or UPS as per your choice. Paste it on an envelope (free from the same company that you choose). Make sure you write your OWN address on shipping label as the DESTINATION address.
              Put this envelope inside the envelope that you are sending to SFO embassy with your PCC request.

They will use this envelope to send it back to you.

Let me know if you need more information.

9. Saurabh
    Saurabh 12 Apr, 18 at 4:08 pm

Fir thanks for this article. You made it so easy. Now I have some questions
    1. Do i need to apply separately for Canada and Australia PR because we have to mention country in miscellaneous and the sample certificate shown above has country too
    2. It is mentioned that police certificate is different then Character certificate . So where do we need Character certificate in Canada and Australia PR process
    Thanks in advance

Anil Gupta 13 Apr, 18 at 7:44 am

1. As per my information, you can use the same ‘Indian police certificate’ for both Australia and Canada or any other country. If you read the certificate’s language carefully, it says ‘including visa for Australia’. So, it is an open certificate.

2. I do not think any character certificate is required separately. I have mentioned about ‘Character certificate’ as some people confuse it with ‘Police certificate’.

10. Soumya
    Soumya 7 Apr, 18 at 4:10 am

Hi Anil, Can you please offer me some advice on the following:
    Got an ITA for Canada PR and applied for PCC – India through VFS at Consulate General India Edinburgh as I currently live in Scotland, UK. I have an Indian passport which has a Bangalore address where I was living while working there and it was a rented flat. Obviously, I no longer live there and my family lives in New Delhi. So while submitting PCC application, I have entered my permanent address as my family’s address in Delhi.

My understanding is for Indian living abroad, PCC applications through their local embassy/consulate would be forwarded to the concerned passport-issuing authority (PIA) in India. In my case, I believe that would be Bangalore. So, will this be a concern ? I mean I do not know how they check records (in case of PCC for Indians abroad) but do the police visit the address and check ? I am not even sure who is living there now and whether the people I knew in the building are still living or have moved on. Basically, if the address on your passport is not your permanent address, will it be an issue ? And when the consulate sends the application for verification in India, would you know if it will be sent to passport office in Bangalore or Delhi ?

Secondly, while submitting PCC application, lady at VFS counter said there is no defined timeline for getting PCC – may take any number of months – 1, 2, 4, 6 etc. As the ITA for PR is valid for 90 days and assuming PCC does not come, I believe there is a way to seek extension. What is generally the period of extension, if given ? and if i demonstrate that I have actually applied for PCC and still waiting (through receipts and acknowledgement) will they actually give me an extension ?

Anil Gupta 7 Apr, 18 at 8:01 am

Hi Soumya,

1. Your first question about Police verification has already been answered in above article. I am just copy pasting the text here:
      Applied for PCC at Indian Embassy when staying outside India?
      There is no physical Police verification done at the Indian address in this case.
      If the passport was issued by Indian Consulate, the PCC is issued immediately with no delays.
      Most of the time, it is issued within a week.

2. Official Canada guidance is that you should apply for Police Certificate as soon as possible i.e. even before you are invited for ITA to avoid breaching the 90 day deadline.
      Nevertheless, they have documented that if you are facing delays in getting PCC, you can write a letter explaining your situation and the proof of PCC application submission (with date).

This is their official response:
      “In exceptional circumstances, some applicants may experience delays in obtaining police certificates within the 90-calendar-day timeframe allocated to submit a complete e-APR. In such situations, applicants should submit a letter of explanation as part of their application and include proof of having requested a police certificate (e.g., a copy of the receipt obtained when they requested the police certificate from the prescribed authority). The officer’s discretion may be required in assessing whether police certificates that do not fall within these time limits are valid and reliable for the purpose of evaluating admissibility.”
      You can read about it here:

But, as per my experience, you should be able to get PCC within a month.

We recently applied in USA and got it within a week since our passport was issued by Indian embassy itself.
      In your case, your last passport was issued by Passport office in Bangalore, so Indian Embassy may just send a request to them for verification. There is no physical police verification done at that address. Don’t worry.
      You are any way not expected to be present at that address even if they visit physically.