Indian Police Clearance Certificate – Embassy PCC

Indian police clearance certificate - PCC from Indian Embassy. Immigrate to Australia, Canada. Processing time 4 day - 6 week. Fees USD 27. Valid Visa, Address Proof, Passport.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  10 Jan, 20

You can get an Indian police clearance certificate when you are staying in USA, UK, Canada or any other country from Indian Embassy.

Police clearance might be required for Visa or immigration to countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand including USA green card interview.

If you are living in India, then the process is different and you need to apply PCC on Passport India Website.

Documents for Indian PCC

1. Original Passport – Most recent and valid.
  2. USA Residence Address proof – Self attested (Notary for SFO)- Check valid acceptable US address proof here.
  3. Photocopy of passport pages containing personal particulars (first three and last two pages) – Self attested.
  4. Copy of valid Visa/Green Card – Self Attested (Notary for SFO).
  5. Indian Embassy Miscellaneous services form.
  6. Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago Indian Embassy in Chicago and SFO also require an extra form with name ‘Personal Particular Form’.

Validity of Indian Police Clearance

There is NO expiry date mentioned on the Indian police clearance issued by Indian consulate.

The common guideline is that it is valid indefinitely for the purpose of submitting for USA Green card interview and other country’s immigration.

The only exception is that you should have NOT moved back to INDIA and stayed there for 6 months or more. If you have gone back to India after the issuance of the last Indian PCC, and stayed there for more than 6 months (182 days), then you need to get a NEW Police clearance certificate.

Indian PCC Processing Time

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in USA (any consulate) or an Indian Embassy in the country where you are currently residing, the PCC is issued within 4-5 days by mail.

Indian Embassy will issue the PCC immediately on same day if you visit in person and your passport was issued by that embassy.

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in India, embassy sends police verification request to Indian RPO (regional passport office). It takes about 6-8 weeks to complete the whole process.

Sample Miscellaneous Services Form

Download Misc Services Form form your specific India Embassy Website.

Residing in USAHouston- TX , New York City- NY, Chicago- IL, San Francisco- CA, Atlanta- GA

Residing in AustraliaVFS global handles Indian police clearance certificate

Use Sample Police clearance certificate India application form for Indian Embassy in Houston, TX, USA. The information required is same except the format.

Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form
Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form

Indian PCC Fees in USA

Indian PCC Fees is USD 27 ($25 + $2) per person.

TOTAL = $25 + 2 + 20 = 47 (Get 3 separate checks).

Payment by Certified check or Money order is acceptable drawn in favor of “Consulate General of India“, if sending application by postal mail.

Cash is also accepted if visiting embassy in-person.Personal checks, Debit cards and Credit cards are not accepted.

Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

Here are answers to common confusing fields on this form:

#1 – Q 8(A) Permanent Address & Tel. No. along with Police Station.

Your Indian Address with the Police Station name that caters to your Home Address location when you were residing there.

#2 – Q 8 (b) Present Residential Address & Tel. No, along with Police Station and residing since

You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.

#3 – Q 9. If you have not been resident at the address given at COLUMN 8(b) continuously for the last one year, please furnish other address(es) with duration(s) resided (Please furnish an additional set of PP Forms for each address with Police station.

Write your US address

#4 – Q 10. References: Names and Addresses of two responsible persons in the applicant’s locality who can vouch for the applicant. Write any two neighbors/relative address from India residing near your Indian address you wrote in point 8(A).

NOTE: Embassy is only concerned with Indian addresses and their police stations. Remember, this PCC is only for your stay in India and not for US.

NOTE: US police station information is NOT required. Whatever Police station was attached to your locality in your Indian residence time is what is needed.

Indian PCC Process

#1 Fill Miscellaneous Services Form

#2 Collect Fees

If sending by mail, an extra payment of $20 is required for return shipping. No email or soft copy is sent by embassy.

Some Indian Embassy just require you to send the return envelope instead of money. Check the website before sending money or envelope.

#3 Fill Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

#4 Package and Send by mail

#5 Keep Original passport with forms and send them to Indian embassy by mail.

No prepaid return envelopes are required by Houston Indian Embassy. Embassy will take care of it.

But some embassy like NY require you to send ‘Return Envelope’, in which case, get an envelope from USPS, UPS or Fedex (your choice) and buy their shipping label address to you.

Paste the label on packet and put it in your sender envelope along with other documents.

#6 Your original passport will be returned with your police certificate.

Sample Indian PCC

Issued by Indian Embassy in Houston, USA

Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy
Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy

You can apply Indian PCC at your local district police station If you are not a citizen of India AND you live in India.

Indian PCC is required for Canadian Express Entry process. Indian PCC is required for Australia PR.

Character Certificate vs Police Certificate

Character Certificate is not same as police certificate. You need police clearance for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA and UK permanent resident application.

Indian Police Verification at Indian address

Applied for PCC at passport office in INDIA? Police verification may be required.

Applied for PCC at Indian Embassy when staying outside India? If your passport was issued in India, the embassy sends the request to Indian passport office and waits for their response.

There is no physical Police verification done at the Indian address though.

Multiple Applications in One Envelope

You can send multiple fees check and multiple applications in same envelope. Just make sure that you keep the application form and their fees check separately in smaller envelope and then keep these smaller ones in the final bigger envelope.

This is helpful if you are applying PCC for both you and your wife at same time.

Australia Canada

1. Shauroseni
    Shauroseni

Hi
    We are applying for PCC from Consulate General of India, Atlanta.

For the purpose we need to send notarised copy of our VISA page on passport and I-94.

Our Visa stamp affixed on the passport have expired, but we do have a valid I-797. Should we send that instead of the VISA page?

Also could someone give us the information of how and where can we notarise these I-94 and I-797 documents?
    Thank you!
    Shauroseni

Hi @vivekcheekoti

If you apply in person, they will return the passport to you then and there after verification.

There is no need to be scared. You can send the passport by mail to Houston Indian embassy. That’s normal.

3. Divya
    Divya

My passport was issued by SF consulate this April and I applied for PCC yesterday at the same consulate.

There is no same day turnaround for this request considering that passport is issued from the same consulate. Please remove this part from the article.

I still have to wait a month to receive PCC. Hopefully there are no delays on their part. I need this for Canada immigration and have a deadline of 30 days, I have asked for extension but haven’t heard back yet.

There is no expedited process for this request. Does any body has experience where it took more than a month to receive PCC? please share.
    Thanks!

Hi @vivekcheekoti

It depends on who issued the passport and which Indian embassy you are applying to.

5. Divya
    Divya

My update- I got my PCC from SF consulate after 30 days. In my case, they sticked to 1 month turnaround time.

1. Pranava
    Pranava 19 Oct, 18 at 12:44 pm

Anil, thank you for the prompt response. I really appreciate the help you are doing. I have a couple of questions more regarding the application process. Note that I am applying through mail.

This is a paragraph from the SFO consulate’s website for your quick reference:

“Supporting Documents: Photocopy of all supporting documents should be notarized and attached to the application. Do not send any original documents except the PASSPORT and the document to be attested.”

So, here are the questions I have:

1. Does this mean that I need to send my original passport along with the notarized photocopies of the requested documents in the package? My passport was issued to me back when I was in India in 2010. So, this means the passport along with my application package is again sent to India for local verification?
    2. What is the “document to be attested” in the last part of that sentence?
    3. Can I fill the application form and personal particulars form online and download them instead of using a pen?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks much!

Anil Gupta 19 Oct, 18 at 12:58 pm

1. You will send the original passport only to Indian Embassy. They do NOT send it to India. Indian embassy needs original passport only for your identity verification.
      Only a request is sent to Indian Passport office in India for your police clearance (which would have happened at the time of issuing passport).

2. Documents that you need to send along with passport are mentioned in above article.

3. You can fill it online and print. But, if you look at the online forms, you will realize that they can’t really be filled online! You will have to download, print and fill by hand.

2. Pranava
    Pranava 19 Oct, 18 at 12:16 pm

I am looking to apply for PCC for my stay in India too. I stay in Seattle, USA and there is no Indian Consulate here. I would like to know if I can apply for PCC from any of the five Indian consulates (Sfo, Chicago, NY, Houston or Atlanta) or do I only have to apply from Sfo since Seattle comes under the western region?

I am asking this because I would like to avoid filling the extra ‘Personal Particular Form’ which is only required by Sfo and Chicago consulates. Also, is there an advantage in choosing to avoid filling this form and apply from either Houston or Atlanta consulates?

Please help! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Anil Gupta 19 Oct, 18 at 12:23 pm

You cannot choose Indian embassy. You have to apply in Indian embassy that has your residential address’s jurisdiction.
      For Seattle, you have to apply in SFO Indian Embassy.

If you apply in any other Indian embassy, they will simply return your application and you will waste you time and money.

3. ankita
    ankita 17 Oct, 18 at 4:52 am

hi! i am living in germany since last 6 months and need PCC from India as well as Germany. the form on the consulate general of india, munich asks for which country i need the PCC. now the german PCC i get from my local german address Police..but for the indian PCC, if i apply to Munich..what do i fill in the form? do i write India as the country for which i need the certificate, because i need the PCC from india. or do i write Geramany because its the country for which i need an Indian PCC?????

Anil Gupta 17 Oct, 18 at 7:11 am

It should be Germany as that’s the country you need it for. The word ‘Germany’ would be mentioned on the final PCC letter once issued by Indian Embassy. See the sample PCC shared above for an example.

4. bhuvanendra shukla
    bhuvanendra shukla 16 Oct, 18 at 1:53 pm

I applied for PCC today at indian consulate here in Houston, USA. They said the application will be send to india for verification. My address in passport is different than permanent address (different states). No one lives on my passport address.
    My question is 1. will there be physical verification. If Yes which address ?
    2. How much time will it take?
    3. Do i need to do anything from my behalf now?

Anil Gupta 16 Oct, 18 at 2:10 pm

Normally, no police verification is done. Indian passport office sends the report based on their last police verification done at your address and other police records.

Normal processing time: 4-6 weks.

You do not need to do anything except wait and watch :).

• Bhuvanendra Shukla
        Bhuvanendra Shukla 16 Oct, 18 at 5:31 pm

Thank you for the quick response. One more question: How will i get to know that PCC is done and when I can go and collect the certificate?

Anil Gupta 16 Oct, 18 at 5:36 pm

Didn’t you pay the fees for return shipping? Normally, Embassy will mail it back to you once it is ready.

• Bhuvanendra Shukla
            Bhuvanendra Shukla 16 Oct, 18 at 5:47 pm

I went there personally and payed only the fees. and they did not give me any reference number to track.

Anil Gupta 16 Oct, 18 at 6:20 pm

You should call embassy and ask the process to collect the PCC then. I am not aware of it.

5. Pooja
    Pooja 11 Oct, 18 at 12:09 am

Thank you for your reply.
    Do I need to get 2 PCC?? One from Indian embassy Japan and other from India.
    I am confused with the wording on Aus embassy site.. Those are as follows
    “… you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years (calculated immediately before the time the visa application is lodged), since turning 16 years of age….”

Also, I sent mail to Indian embassy Tokyo regarding procedure and all, but I have not received any reply. I am even not sure whom to contact for this. On their website list of designated officers names and email ids are given.

Please guide.

Anil Gupta 11 Oct, 18 at 12:11 am

You need a PCC for each that you have lived in for more than 12 months in the last 10 years. It simply means that you need to get once PCC from Indian embassy for your India stay time and second PCC from Japan’s police for your Japan’s stay.

You can call Indian Embassy in Tokyo if they have a number to contact.

• Vishal Mahajan
        Vishal Mahajan 11 Oct, 18 at 2:05 am

I need your help to understand better in my case… It’s a long story which will difficult for me to explain in detail in writing… Can you share your number or I can share my number.. whichever is feasible for you.

Lookling forward to your reply.

Regards,
        Vishal M

Anil Gupta 11 Oct, 18 at 7:58 am

Hi Vishal,
          Sorry, but i do not share my number on public platforms. Neither do i recommend you to share yours.
          Rather, you can chat with me on TruVisa platform using the chat messaging here: https://www.truvisa.com

or connect with whatsapp group and i can answer queries there:

6. Venkat
    Venkat 9 Oct, 18 at 12:08 pm

Hi, the NY consulate website says that “Each parent is required to fill up separate Miscellaneous Application form and affix his/her photograph on the same.”
    Please let me know if this is required. If yes, should there be 3 forms in total? 1 for me (the applicant) and 1 each for my mom and dad?

Anil Gupta 9 Oct, 18 at 12:15 pm

Yes, PCC application form has to be filled separately for each applicant. In your case, yes, you have to fill 3 forms.
      You can send all applications in one mail package though.

• Venkat
        Venkat 9 Oct, 18 at 3:54 pm

Hello Anil. Thanks much for your reply. My parents are not applying for PCC or PR, Only me. In this scenario, is it ok if I fill out this form for myself alone? Do I still need to do this for my parents. The instruction in the NY Consulate website is a little confusing.

Anil Gupta 9 Oct, 18 at 4:10 pm

I am assuming you are over 18. You only need to apply it for yourself and no need to send parent’s documents.

7. Pooja
    Pooja 8 Oct, 18 at 2:53 am

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I appreciate your suggestion of applying now to save time later. Thanks!
    Indian Embassy is in Tokyo (https://www.indembassy-tokyo.gov.in/passport.html) which offers service of PCC. On their website, list of required forms is given. But I have not understood how to apply, I mean do we directly need to send original passport and alien card with required filled forms to the embassy? Or is there any other procedure? How to pay fee and when to pay?
    Also, I would like to know is PCC required for each individual? Do we need to submit passports of whole family (Husband is main applicant for Aus PR, my status as spouse and our 2 years kid as dependent) and separate forms also to get PCC?
    What are the other required/essential things for AUS PR which we can complete in advance to save time later on.
    Please guide.
    (I appologies, I can not comment through REPLY.. I dont know but comment is not getting posted)

Anil Gupta 8 Oct, 18 at 5:08 am

I chekced the Indian embassy Tokyo site that you have shared and it does not list the steps and documents required for PCC clearly.
      So, the best way is to call them and ask.
      Usually, they do need original passport to be sent by mail or show them in person to verify your Indian identity.

Indian PCC is needed separately for each adult in your family who wants to immigrate to Australia.
      Each PCC application is treated separately by Indian embassy and hence you need fill separate form for you and your spouse.
      Your kid does not need PCC.

Australia PR documents list:

Let me know if you need more information.

8. Pooja
    Pooja 6 Oct, 18 at 2:29 am

Hi Anil, your posts are really helpful.
    I am Indian living in Japan with my husband. Since last 1 year we are in Japan and we are planning to get Australian PR. Where do we need to apply for this Police Clearance Certificate? and when do we need to apply? Is that after getting Invitation letter from Aus. Govt? Please guide.

Anil Gupta 6 Oct, 18 at 5:02 am

Hi Pooja,
      You can apply for Indian PCC either now or after receiving invitation. The only thing to keep in mind is that Indian PCC takes about 4-6 weeks to be issued and your only get 60 days to respond after receiving Australia invitation.
      PCC is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. So, you can apply for it now too.

Indian PCC is issued by Indian Embassy if you are currently living outside India. You have to find the one that caters to your home address in Japan and apply there.

Let me know if you need more information.

9. Mohit Kumar
    Mohit Kumar 24 Sep, 18 at 8:27 am

I wanna get Police Clearance Certificate from HOUSTON consulate. I am single. So should I leave the 2 fields related to SPOUSE empty ? O r should I put N/A in those fields. I didn’t find any clear instructions regarding that. My gut feeling is to leave it empty but I don’t want my application to get rejected over that. Could someone please help with that ?

Anil Gupta 24 Sep, 18 at 11:59 am

You can write ‘N/A’. That is okay. Don’t worry.

10. Teja
    Teja 12 Sep, 18 at 8:53 pm

I am planning to apply in person for PCC in Chicago consulate. My passport was issued in Chicago.

a. Do they keep the original passport ?

b. If we submit in person and they cannot give it the same day, can I ask them to send my PCC by mail by providing a pre-paid envelope ?
    I stay far away from the consulate, so it might be difficult for me to collect it in person if they do not give it the same day.

Please let me know on this

Regards,
    Teja

Anil Gupta 13 Sep, 18 at 3:51 am

1. If you apply in-person, they usually return the passport back to you after verification.
      2. Yes, if they do not issue the PCC same day, you can opt for pre-paid envelope service.

• Teja
        Teja 13 Sep, 18 at 9:03 pm

Thank you!

• Teja
          Teja 18 Sep, 18 at 8:16 am

I was able to get my PCC from Chicago consulate, as my passport was issued from the same consulate and the police verification was already done. I have submitted the documents in the morning after 9:30 AM and received the PCC the same day after 3:30 PM.

I also mentioned to them that the phone lines are not working and they told me that they are working on it. They told me that we can email
          our questions and they would respond.

Thank you!

Regards,
          Teja

Anil Gupta 19 Sep, 18 at 11:38 am

Thanks Teja for sharing your experience.