Indian Police Clearance Certificate – Embassy PCC

Indian police clearance certificate - PCC from Indian Embassy. Immigrate to Australia, Canada. Processing time 4 day - 6 week. Fees USD 27. Valid Visa, Address Proof, Passport.

Written by Anil Gupta
  By Anil Gupta          Updated  10 Jan, 20


You can get an Indian police clearance certificate when you are staying in USA, UK, Canada or any other country from Indian Embassy.

Police clearance might be required for Visa or immigration to countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand including USA green card interview.

If you are living in India, then the process is different and you need to apply PCC on Passport India Website.

Documents for Indian PCC

  1. Original Passport – Most recent and valid.
  2. USA Residence Address proof – Self attested (Notary for SFO)- Check valid acceptable US address proof here.
  3. Photocopy of passport pages containing personal particulars (first three and last two pages) – Self attested.
  4. Copy of valid Visa/Green Card – Self Attested (Notary for SFO).
  5. Indian Embassy Miscellaneous services form.
  6. Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago Indian Embassy in Chicago and SFO also require an extra form with name ‘Personal Particular Form’.

Validity of Indian Police Clearance

There is NO expiry date mentioned on the Indian police clearance issued by Indian consulate.

The common guideline is that it is valid indefinitely for the purpose of submitting for USA Green card interview and other country’s immigration.

The only exception is that you should have NOT moved back to INDIA and stayed there for 6 months or more. If you have gone back to India after the issuance of the last Indian PCC, and stayed there for more than 6 months (182 days), then you need to get a NEW Police clearance certificate.

Indian PCC Processing Time

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in USA (any consulate) or an Indian Embassy in the country where you are currently residing, the PCC is issued within 4-5 days by mail.

Indian Embassy will issue the PCC immediately on same day if you visit in person and your passport was issued by that embassy.

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in India, embassy sends police verification request to Indian RPO (regional passport office). It takes about 6-8 weeks to complete the whole process.

Sample Miscellaneous Services Form

Download Misc Services Form form your specific India Embassy Website.

Residing in USAHouston- TX , New York City- NY, Chicago- IL, San Francisco- CA, Atlanta- GA

Residing in AustraliaVFS global handles Indian police clearance certificate

Use Sample Police clearance certificate India application form for Indian Embassy in Houston, TX, USA. The information required is same except the format.

Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form
Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form

Indian PCC Fees in USA

Indian PCC Fees is USD 27 ($25 + $2) per person.

TOTAL = $25 + 2 + 20 = 47 (Get 3 separate checks).

Payment by Certified check or Money order is acceptable drawn in favor of “Consulate General of India“, if sending application by postal mail.

Cash is also accepted if visiting embassy in-person.Personal checks, Debit cards and Credit cards are not accepted.

Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

Here are answers to common confusing fields on this form:

#1 – Q 8(A) Permanent Address & Tel. No. along with Police Station.

Your Indian Address with the Police Station name that caters to your Home Address location when you were residing there.

#2 – Q 8 (b) Present Residential Address & Tel. No, along with Police Station and residing since

You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.

#3 – Q 9. If you have not been resident at the address given at COLUMN 8(b) continuously for the last one year, please furnish other address(es) with duration(s) resided (Please furnish an additional set of PP Forms for each address with Police station.

Write your US address

#4 – Q 10. References: Names and Addresses of two responsible persons in the applicant’s locality who can vouch for the applicant. Write any two neighbors/relative address from India residing near your Indian address you wrote in point 8(A).

NOTE: Embassy is only concerned with Indian addresses and their police stations. Remember, this PCC is only for your stay in India and not for US.

NOTE: US police station information is NOT required. Whatever Police station was attached to your locality in your Indian residence time is what is needed.

Indian PCC Process

#1 Fill Miscellaneous Services Form

#2 Collect Fees

If sending by mail, an extra payment of $20 is required for return shipping. No email or soft copy is sent by embassy.

Some Indian Embassy just require you to send the return envelope instead of money. Check the website before sending money or envelope.

#3 Fill Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

#4 Package and Send by mail

#5 Keep Original passport with forms and send them to Indian embassy by mail.

No prepaid return envelopes are required by Houston Indian Embassy. Embassy will take care of it.

But some embassy like NY require you to send ‘Return Envelope’, in which case, get an envelope from USPS, UPS or Fedex (your choice) and buy their shipping label address to you.

Paste the label on packet and put it in your sender envelope along with other documents.

#6 Your original passport will be returned with your police certificate.

Sample Indian PCC

Issued by Indian Embassy in Houston, USA

Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy
Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy

You can apply Indian PCC at your local district police station If you are not a citizen of India AND you live in India.

Indian PCC is required for Canadian Express Entry process. Indian PCC is required for Australia PR.

Character Certificate vs Police Certificate

Character Certificate is not same as police certificate. You need police clearance for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA and UK permanent resident application.

Indian Police Verification at Indian address

Applied for PCC at passport office in INDIA? Police verification may be required.

Applied for PCC at Indian Embassy when staying outside India? If your passport was issued in India, the embassy sends the request to Indian passport office and waits for their response.

There is no physical Police verification done at the Indian address though.

Multiple Applications in One Envelope

You can send multiple fees check and multiple applications in same envelope. Just make sure that you keep the application form and their fees check separately in smaller envelope and then keep these smaller ones in the final bigger envelope.

This is helpful if you are applying PCC for both you and your wife at same time.

Australia Canada

Recent discussion on forum

  1. Shauroseni

    We are applying for PCC from Consulate General of India, Atlanta.

    For the purpose we need to send notarised copy of our VISA page on passport and I-94.

    Our Visa stamp affixed on the passport have expired, but we do have a valid I-797. Should we send that instead of the VISA page?

    Also could someone give us the information of how and where can we notarise these I-94 and I-797 documents?
    Thank you!

  2. Anil.Gupta

    Hi @vivekcheekoti

    If you apply in person, they will return the passport to you then and there after verification.

    There is no need to be scared. You can send the passport by mail to Houston Indian embassy. That’s normal.

  3. Divya

    My passport was issued by SF consulate this April and I applied for PCC yesterday at the same consulate.

    There is no same day turnaround for this request considering that passport is issued from the same consulate. Please remove this part from the article.

    I still have to wait a month to receive PCC. Hopefully there are no delays on their part. I need this for Canada immigration and have a deadline of 30 days, I have asked for extension but haven’t heard back yet.

    There is no expedited process for this request. Does any body has experience where it took more than a month to receive PCC? please share.

  4. Anil.Gupta

    Hi @vivekcheekoti

    It depends on who issued the passport and which Indian embassy you are applying to.

  5. Divya

    My update- I got my PCC from SF consulate after 30 days. In my case, they sticked to 1 month turnaround time.

Comments are closed. Ask question on Forum (we answer in 1-24 hour)

30 more replies

  371 Useful Questions & Answers

  1. Anil Gupta
    Anil Gupta 3 Dec, 18 at 12:14 pm

    It is better you put in the right police station to avoid any delays.
    Although, they might find the right one themselves but they will take their own time to do it 🙂

    • Jatin
      Jatin 4 Dec, 18 at 7:09 pm

      Hi Anil,
      Is there any requirement for sending envelopes like first class / Next Day. Which one you recommend?

      • Anil Gupta
        Anil Gupta 4 Dec, 18 at 7:21 pm

        There is no such requirement. It depends on you and what kind of speed and reliability you want.

        • Jatin
          Jatin 8 Dec, 18 at 1:01 pm

          Quick question – on return envelopes, do I need to send with prepaid shipping label or just empty envelope for embassy to send the required documents. I guess we are already paying $20 money order for it.

          • Anil Gupta
            Anil Gupta 8 Dec, 18 at 1:15 pm

            Each embassy has different rules. Some require prepaid return envelope and some not.
            If your embassy is asking for a return shipping fees,then you do not need to send return envelope.
            But, if they have NOT asked for return shipping fees, you should send the return envelope with shipping label pasted on it.

            • Jatin
              Jatin 8 Dec, 18 at 1:53 pm

              What about SFO?

              • Anil Gupta
                Anil Gupta 8 Dec, 18 at 2:01 pm

                Did you check SFO website? What does it say?
                Also, SFO needs an extra personal particulars form as well.

                • Jatin
                  Jatin 8 Dec, 18 at 2:06 pm

                  For US passport holders, a non-refundable fee of $ 25 (twenty five) + $3 Indian Community Welfare Fee (ICWF) w.e.f. Oct. 01, 2012. For Indian passport holders, a non refundable fee of $25 (twenty five) + $3 Indian Community Welfare Fee (ICWF) w.e.f. Oct. 01, 2012. If you want to receive the attested documents back through mail, send a trackable pre-paid return mailing envelope (USPS ‘Express Mail’ or FEDEX etc.

                  So that means I don’t have to create $20 money order for SFO. Just prepaid envelope for return shipping. Is that right ?
                  SFO –
                  1) $25 fees + $2 icwef fee
                  2) trackable prepaid mailing envelope
                  3) No $20 money order

                  • Anil Gupta
                    Anil Gupta 8 Dec, 18 at 2:10 pm

                    Yes. That’s correct.

                    • Jatin
                      Jatin 8 Dec, 18 at 2:42 pm

                      Also, cashier check for San Francisco is on this name – ” consulate general of India , San Francisco”. Something we may have to check as well.
                      I think it should be good.

                      Also I got the one cashier check free from credit Union Bank of mine. As a tip for cheapest option to get your cashier checks.

                    • Anil Gupta
                      Anil Gupta 8 Dec, 18 at 2:57 pm

                      Thanks for sharing the tip. I appreciate it.

  2. deeps
    deeps 3 Dec, 18 at 10:25 am

    Hi Anil,

    I am applying for PCC at houston consulate. My mother currently lives in a address (temporary) that is different from the address in my passport (issued in India in 2011). I was wondering if I could mention my sister’s address that is more permanent in the miscellaneous form for “permanent address in India”. Will they conduct a police verification in the address if I mentioned my sister’s address or any address different from the one in passport ?


    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 3 Dec, 18 at 11:07 am

      Indian embassy sends PCC request to Indian Regional Passport Office based on your Indian address. They may decide to do police verification if they have doubts on the address.
      I have not heard of any physical verification cases though yet.

      • deeps
        deeps 3 Dec, 18 at 11:24 am

        Thanks for the reply Anil. Any idea how long the process might take ? I ask this because I want to have some idea as to how long they will be hanging on to my passport.

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 3 Dec, 18 at 11:30 am

          If your current passport was issued in India, then you can expect to get PCC in 4-6 weeks as the speed depends on how fast Indian RPO responds.
          If Your current passport was issued by Indian embassy in USA, then the PCC is issued immediately and you get it within 4-5 days.

  3. Jatin
    Jatin 2 Dec, 18 at 9:44 am

    Hi Anil,
    For a valid US Visa, as our US visa is expired but we do have form I-797/ work authorization from US. Can we use that for US visa requirement. Generally, US visa will be renewed only when we leave US and re-enter to US.


    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 2 Dec, 18 at 9:45 am

      Yes, you can use valid i797 as a proof of US legal status instead of US visa stamp.

      • Jatin
        Jatin 2 Dec, 18 at 9:48 am

        Wow so fast. Thanks Anil.

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 2 Dec, 18 at 9:49 am

          You are welcome. We try to be as fast as we can in our responses 🙂

          • Jatin
            Jatin 2 Dec, 18 at 10:21 am

            Another Question- Do we need Indian Police certificate for kids (although they are US Citizens) but stayed some time in India as well. This is for Canada immigration.

            • Anil Gupta
              Anil Gupta 2 Dec, 18 at 10:30 am

              Any country’s police certificate is only needed for Adults (18+).

              • Jatin
                Jatin 2 Dec, 18 at 11:31 pm

                Another Question about Q – 12 – Furnish details of previous passport/ travel document if any: – Do i need to provide my old passport details there. I do have my current passport renewed last year.


                • Anil Gupta
                  Anil Gupta 3 Dec, 18 at 6:19 am

                  Yes, you should write old passport details.

                  • Prakarsh Upmanyu
                    Prakarsh Upmanyu 5 Dec, 18 at 9:54 pm

                    Hi Anil,
                    I do not have my old passport details. Mine was renewed 5 years back and I can’t find any record of it. Is that a strict requirement?

                    • Anil Gupta
                      Anil Gupta 5 Dec, 18 at 9:59 pm

                      Old passport details are also written on new passport on the last page. Check there and fill it in form .

                      I am not sure if it’s strict requirement or not but I do think you should write it.

                    • Prakarsh Upmanyu
                      Prakarsh Upmanyu 5 Dec, 18 at 10:02 pm

                      I didn’t know that. Thanks a lot.
                      And WOW!!!! You replied literally in 5 minutes!!!!

                    • Anil Gupta
                      Anil Gupta 5 Dec, 18 at 10:04 pm

                      You are welcome.

                  • Jatin
                    Jatin 14 Jan, 19 at 9:52 am

                    Thank you. I was trying to get some info about the Police station for PPC form. My dad is suggesting the one very close by but when I go to it has some other one. Do you know which one I should put it there or just enter any and they will somehow locate it based on my home address.

                    Thanks in advance.

  4. Indresh B
    Indresh B 25 Nov, 18 at 1:48 pm

    Hi Anil, firstly many thanks for putting all this information together. Really very helpful.

    I am a graduate student at Oklahoma, USA. I lived in India in a couple of cities until I was there. Till 2012 I was at Chennai and there after I was working at Bangalore for 3 years.
    I have few queries pertaining to my case :
    1) My family has always been living on a rented house and I do not know which address to use for filling in the form. Now they are living in Chennai but at a different address. Can I give their current address for the form?
    2) What should I fill for the profession and business address ? Should it be my designation and my office address when I was working in Bangalore? Or the current designation and address (university student) ?
    3) I am planning to use this PCC for two countries – both Australia and Canada. Should I apply for 2 separate PCC in that case?
    4) For the US address proof – I am living at an university apartment on campus. I have the mobile bill and electricity bill. Would those two suffice as address proof or I must get a letter from the school?

    Please help me at the earliest, my passport was issued at Chennai in 2011 and it seems like 6 weeks is a long wait time. Thanks

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 1:57 pm

      1. You have to give the address where you have lived in India for whatever time you were in India. If you lived with your parents, then give their address.
      2. Professional and business address is USA address. It should be your University address.
      3. You can apply only one PCC and use it for both Canada and Australia.
      4. You can use Electricity bill as address proof. A letter from university (if easily available) would be good to have but not mandatory.

      • Indresh B
        Indresh B 25 Nov, 18 at 2:06 pm

        Thanks a lot, Anil for prompt response. I am still confused about the Indian address as discussed in part 1. I lived in address X (say) from 1990 to 1996, address Y from 1996 to 2000 and address Z from 2000 to 2012 along with my family. Then, I moved to Bangalore an was living there from 2012 to 2015 when I came to the US. I remember when I applied for passport in 2011 I gave the address Z. Now my family is in a different address. Which address should I specify? I know it’s little complicated. But your prior knowledge (if any) would help me a lot.

        • Indresh B
          Indresh B 25 Nov, 18 at 2:16 pm

          To add extra details – the one on my passport is the address Z but I nor my family don’t live there anymore.

          • Anil Gupta
            Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 2:22 pm

            For PCC application, it is okay if you give your parent’s current address.
            Also, this PCC is for last 10 years only. You do not need to go back to 1990!

            • Indresh B
              Indresh B 25 Nov, 18 at 2:24 pm

              Phew! Thanks.

              Final question – Can we get the 3 money orders(20$,25$,2$) from Walmart? Is that ok or better to get it from the bank?

              • Anil Gupta
                Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 2:37 pm

                Indian embassy does not care about where you get money orders from. Walmart is probably the best and cheapest option.

  5. AG
    AG 25 Nov, 18 at 11:21 am

    Hi Anil,
    Thank you for detailed information.

    Can you please help me with below scenario :-
    Me along with my wife was in USA till 15th of Sep, 2018. We stayed there for 6 years at stretch(came to USA on Aug,2012).
    We came back to India on 17th Sep,2018. Now we are living in India and applying for Australian Visa. We have been asked to get PCC from USA since we stayed so long.

    My question is can I follow the above mentioned same steps being in India to get the PCC from USA ? There is another link where you mentioned FBI Police Certificate, which one I should get ?

    I am not in position to go back to USA now. All I can do is to get PCC through email or postal service. Please guide me.

    Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks again !!

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 11:43 am

      1. For Indian PCC, you have to go through Indian passport website and apply for PCC as you are in India now. Indian embassy only issues certificate if you are outside India.

      2. For FBI certificate, use the link given for FBI police clearance. It has option to apply from outside USA.

      FBI and Indian police certificates are required separately and have separate process.

      • AG
        AG 25 Nov, 18 at 12:00 pm

        Thanks Anil for prompt response, much appreciated !!
        I have got my Indian PCC, now I am working to get USA PCC which is as you mentioned is to get FBI certificate.
        I checked and found that I need to take finger printing, can you suggest should I try that personally or get finger printing from some agency or police station in India.

        Thanks again !!

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 12:07 pm

          You can do the fingerprinting yourself but I strongly recommend to use third party FBI channellers services. They are experts and reduce your chances of fingerprint rejection.
          Indian police station is useless as they would NOT know the FBI standards for taking fingerprints.

          • AG
            AG 25 Nov, 18 at 12:41 pm

            Thanks man !!

            • Anil Gupta
              Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 12:43 pm

              You are welcome and all the best for Australia immigration.
              Let me know if you have questions about Australia PR process. We have covered the whole process here:

              • Indresh B
                Indresh B 25 Nov, 18 at 2:10 pm

                Thank you for the insightful answers. Do we need to get the PCC (both Indian and USA) before we start the PR application? Will they become invalid after sometime (especially the US one)?

                • Anil Gupta
                  Anil Gupta 25 Nov, 18 at 2:25 pm

                  Each PCC (from India or FBI) is considered valid for 12 months. If your application is not approved before the 12 months from PCC date, then you might need to a get a new one later.

                  I suggest to apply for PCC 8 weeks before you anticipate your invitation else you might face delays especially with Indian PCC.
                  Canada allows you to submit application with PCC delayed:
                  Australia does not allow you to submit without PCC, so plan accordingly.

  6. saed
    saed 24 Nov, 18 at 7:10 am

    Hi Anil
    great information, i live in Somali i have been india for 5 Years had my degree from Osmania University, I need PCC for purpose of Australia Immigration partner Visa, i was demanded to get the PCC can you please guide me how to apply online.

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 24 Nov, 18 at 8:46 am

      You have to apply for Indian PCC in Indian embassy in your current country of residence. Process is same as mentioned above.

      • saed
        saed 24 Nov, 18 at 11:25 pm

        Thank you Anil Gupta, for swift replay

  7. Sudeep ARYAL SHARMA
    Sudeep ARYAL SHARMA 15 Nov, 18 at 3:37 am

    Hi Anil, this article is so helpful. Do you know the process to obtain PCC for a foreigner who lived in India for around 4 years in the past and currently do not live in India?

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 15 Nov, 18 at 6:49 am

      The process shoukd be same for foreigner too. I will have to check though.

  8. sarthak dundiraj bhat
    sarthak dundiraj bhat 14 Nov, 18 at 12:29 am

    I mailed my PCC to SFO embassy on November 1st. I got a notification from UPS saying it was delivered. I have not heard back from the embassy though. How do i contact them and what is expected timeline for the same ?


    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 14 Nov, 18 at 6:50 am

      Was your passport issued in India?
      If yes, then PCC takes about 4-6 weeks to come as embassy needs clearance from Indian regional passport office.

      The only way to contact is to call SFO embassy’s phone number.

      • sarthak bhat
        sarthak bhat 14 Nov, 18 at 4:53 pm

        Thanks for your response Anil. Yes my passport was issued in India. Does embassy send any acknowledgement that they have received my application ? SFO embassy does not answer any calls 🙁

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 14 Nov, 18 at 6:50 pm

          No acknowledgement is sent by Indian Embassy. Just wait and watch 🙂

          • sarthak bhat
            sarthak bhat 15 Nov, 18 at 12:07 am

            Thanks Anil. I wish SFO Indian embassy was as responsive as you !! 😀

            • Anil Gupta
              Anil Gupta 15 Nov, 18 at 12:27 am

              Haha.. thanks for the compliment, if it really is 🙂

  9. Akshita Pillai
    Akshita Pillai 5 Nov, 18 at 1:41 am

    Could you please tell me the photo requirements for Personal particulars form for San franFranc embassy? 3.5cm x 3.5cm is written on it but CVS and Walgreens don’t do photos of those dimensions so could you guide me how to get such photos here?


    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 5 Nov, 18 at 6:53 am

      You can cut the 2×2 picture into 35mm X 35mm picture and use it.

  10. KP
    KP 4 Nov, 18 at 1:39 pm

    Hi Anil,

    Thanks a lot for explaining in detail! Me and my wife both are applying for PCC at SFO Indian Embassy. I read your last question that husband and wife can send application in same package. I have some follow up questions:
    1. Do I need to send 2 return envelopes or just one?
    2. Do I need to also send marriage certificate copy?
    3. My passport was issued in SFO while hers was issued in India. According to your note, my PCC should be ready sooner than hers. What if my PCC is ready before hers is? Will we get our passports back together or separately?
    4. Do I need to make 2 money orders of $27 or single money order of $54 is fine?
    5. What do you recommend? Sending passports separate or together?

    Thanks in advance!

    • Anil Gupta
      Anil Gupta 4 Nov, 18 at 2:26 pm

      1. I suggest to send two return envelopes as if one of your PCC takes more time, the other one (if ready) can be sent back to you immediately.

      2. No need for sending marriage certificate.

      3. Passport issued in India will take about 3-4 weeks to clear PCC. That’s why I have auggested to send two return envelopes.

      4. Single money order is fine if you are sending them in single envelope.

      5. It’s your choice. Sending it together will save you one way mailing cost.

      • KP
        KP 4 Nov, 18 at 7:09 pm

        Thanks for the quick reply Anil!
        I’ll send them together with 2 return envelopes.

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 5 Nov, 18 at 8:19 am

          Make sure that you keep the PCC application (misc form and supporting documents) for each one of you separately inside the mailing envelope.
          What I mean is keep your application and documents in one small envelope, your wife’s in second envelope and then both of them in one main outer envelope (that you will paste stamp on) and mail. also add 2 return envelopes for each one of you.

          • KP
            KP 5 Nov, 18 at 4:54 pm

            Yes, understood. Thanks!

            One more question though. I notarized all my documents except my I-94 form. Because it’s a print out from online I-94 so the USPS won’t notarize it. That should be okay, right?

            • Anil Gupta
              Anil Gupta 5 Nov, 18 at 5:17 pm

              Official guidance says that i94 should be notarized too. You can take its color print to USPS for notary.
              If nothing works, then just self-attest and send.

    • Akshita
      Akshita 5 Nov, 18 at 1:45 am

      I am also sending my documents to SF Consulate. What dimension of photos did you use for Personal particulars form and miscellaneous form and from where did you take that photo ( CVS and Walgreens don’t take 3.5 x 3.5 mm photos ).



      • KP
        KP 5 Nov, 18 at 4:50 pm

        I am planning to stick the 2×2 photos as it is. I am not skilled at cutting the photos 😛
        Also, I am sending an extra 2×2 photo. Just in case, if they need it they can cut it themselves.

        • Anil Gupta
          Anil Gupta 5 Nov, 18 at 5:07 pm

          Its your choice.
          I do not think that embassy has people to do cutting on your behalf.
          They may either accept your photo as it is or may decide to send it back. I am not sure what they will do.