Get Indian Police Clearance Certificate – PCC by Indian Embassy

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  16 May, 19

Indian police clearance certificate
Indian police clearance certificate

You can get an Indian police clearance certificate when you are staying in USA, UK, Canada or any other country from Indian Embassy.

Police clearance might be required for Visa or immigration to countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand including USA green card interview.

If you are living in India, then the process is different and you need to apply PCC on Passport India Website.

Documents for Indian PCC

1. Original Passport – Most recent and valid.
  2. USA Residence Address proof – Self attested (Notary for SFO)- Check valid acceptable US address proof here.
  3. Photocopy of passport pages containing personal particulars (first three and last two pages) – Self attested.
  4. Copy of valid Visa/Green Card – Self Attested (Notary for SFO).
  5. Indian Embassy Miscellaneous services form.
  6. Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago Indian Embassy in Chicago and SFO also require an extra form with name ‘Personal Particular Form’.

Validity of Indian Police Clearance

There is NO expiry date mentioned on the Indian police clearance issued by Indian consulate.

The common guideline is that it is valid indefinitely for the purpose of submitting for USA Green card interview and other country’s immigration.

The only exception is that you should have NOT moved back to INDIA and stayed there for 6 months or more. If you have gone back to India after the issuance of the last Indian PCC, and stayed there for more than 6 months (182 days), then you need to get a NEW Police clearance certificate.

Indian PCC Processing Time

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in USA (any consulate) or an Indian Embassy in the country where you are currently residing, the PCC is issued within 4-5 days by mail.

Indian Embassy will issue the PCC immediately on same day if you visit in person and your passport was issued by that embassy.

If your most recent Indian passport was issued in India, embassy sends police verification request to Indian RPO (regional passport office). It takes about 6-8 weeks to complete the whole process.

Sample Miscellaneous Services Form

Download Misc Services Form form your specific India Embassy Website.

Residing in USAHouston- TX , New York City- NY, Chicago- IL, San Francisco- CA, Atlanta- GA

Residing in AustraliaVFS global handles Indian police clearance certificate

Use Sample Police clearance certificate India application form for Indian Embassy in Houston, TX, USA. The information required is same except the format.

Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form
Indian PCC in USA Indian embassy application form

Indian PCC Fees in USA

Indian PCC Fees is USD 27 ($25 + $2) per person.

TOTAL = $25 + 2 + 20 = 47 (Get 3 separate checks).

Payment by Certified check or Money order is acceptable drawn in favor of “Consulate General of India“, if sending application by postal mail.

Cash is also accepted if visiting embassy in-person.Personal checks, Debit cards and Credit cards are not accepted.

Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

Here are answers to common confusing fields on this form:

#1 – Q 8(A) Permanent Address & Tel. No. along with Police Station.

Your Indian Address with the Police Station name that caters to your Home Address location when you were residing there.

#2 – Q 8 (b) Present Residential Address & Tel. No, along with Police Station and residing since

You can either give your Parent’s/or your same 8(a) address.

#3 – Q 9. If you have not been resident at the address given at COLUMN 8(b) continuously for the last one year, please furnish other address(es) with duration(s) resided (Please furnish an additional set of PP Forms for each address with Police station.

Write your US address

#4 – Q 10. References: Names and Addresses of two responsible persons in the applicant’s locality who can vouch for the applicant. Write any two neighbors/relative address from India residing near your Indian address you wrote in point 8(A).

NOTE: Embassy is only concerned with Indian addresses and their police stations. Remember, this PCC is only for your stay in India and not for US.

NOTE: US police station information is NOT required. Whatever Police station was attached to your locality in your Indian residence time is what is needed.

Indian PCC Process

#1 Fill Miscellaneous Services Form

#2 Collect Fees

If sending by mail, an extra payment of $20 is required for return shipping. No email or soft copy is sent by embassy.

Some Indian Embassy just require you to send the return envelope instead of money. Check the website before sending money or envelope.

#3 Fill Personal Particulars Form – SFO, Chicago

#4 Package and Send by mail

#5 Keep Original passport with forms and send them to Indian embassy by mail.

No prepaid return envelopes are required by Houston Indian Embassy. Embassy will take care of it.

But some embassy like NY require you to send ‘Return Envelope’, in which case, get an envelope from USPS, UPS or Fedex (your choice) and buy their shipping label address to you.

Paste the label on packet and put it in your sender envelope along with other documents.

#6 Your original passport will be returned with your police certificate.

Sample Indian PCC

Issued by Indian Embassy in Houston, USA

Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy
Sample Indian PCC from Indian Embassy

You can apply Indian PCC at your local district police station If you are not a citizen of India AND you live in India.

Indian PCC is required for Canadian Express Entry process. Indian PCC is required for Australia PR.

Character Certificate vs Police Certificate

Character Certificate is not same as police certificate. You need police clearance for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA and UK permanent resident application.

Indian Police Verification at Indian address

Applied for PCC at passport office in INDIA? Police verification may be required.

Applied for PCC at Indian Embassy when staying outside India? If your passport was issued in India, the embassy sends the request to Indian passport office and waits for their response.

There is no physical Police verification done at the Indian address though.

1. vivek
    vivek 22 Mar, 19 at 10:00 pm

Hi
    I am an indian..My passport was renewed in Kampala Uganda. Now i am living in Nigerai. I Received ITA from canada on 20th march. I need PCC. I have different address on my passport then my current indian address. what should be timeline for PCC and whether it is advisable to change address and pcc simultaneously.

Address in passport does not matter.
      No need to change address for PCC.

2. Bosun Olaiya
    Bosun Olaiya 12 Mar, 19 at 3:02 pm

Hi Anil, thanks for this information. I am a non-citizen of India currently residing in the US. I stayed in Indian for 10 months in 2014. There is no information on how non-citizen and non-resident of India like can apply for PCC.

If you are in USA currently, I think you can apply with Indian Embassy.

• Bosun Olaiya
        Bosun Olaiya 12 Mar, 19 at 4:40 pm

Many thanks Anil!

3. Sunny Anand
    Sunny Anand 12 Mar, 19 at 1:13 pm

Hi Anil, Thanks for your post. I got my India PCC done on Jan 22 from SFO Consulate. I was in USA at that time. I travelled to India later and re-eneterd USA on Feb 16. Do I need to get a new India PCC because of the visit?

New Indian PCC generally depends on the final purpose.
      Usually, you are not required to new Indian PCC if you have not lived in Indian for at-least 6 months.

• Sunny Anand
        Sunny Anand 12 Mar, 19 at 1:21 pm

I got my ITA for Canada PR process recently. So I was wondering if this visit for a month back to my home country- India ,would have any impact on India PCC issued before the travel?

No impact.

• Sunny Anand
            Sunny Anand 12 Mar, 19 at 1:21 pm

Thank you Anil. Will go ahead and upload the PCC.

4. Ravi
    Ravi 11 Mar, 19 at 11:24 am

I have applied for PCC in person at SFO embassy on FEB 11th 2019. Agent asked to comeback after 4 weeks to pickup the clearance certificate. There is no way to check the status of application. Do you have any idea how to check the status of application and also the time window to pickup the certificate in person?

There is no online status check or tracking available for Indian PCC application. You can just call the embassy to check the status.
      The pick up time are usually 9-12 in morning. You can check the embassy website too for exact times.

5. Abhinav Moudgil
    Abhinav Moudgil 5 Mar, 19 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for the valuable doc here. Just wanted to check some thing.. I have my indian passport reissued from SFO Embassy . I want to apply for PCC their website says that no same day processing available SFO is really far from my place so in case I travel there and they refuse to process my application that will be a problem secondly their website says nothing about processing time when passport reissued from SFO etc.
    Can you please confirm this info so that I can move in right direction .
    Thanks!!

What should I confirm?

• Abhinav Moudgil
        Abhinav Moudgil 5 Mar, 19 at 9:00 pm

Are these below written statements true:
        If the indian passport is re issued from SFO processing time is 1 week.
        If we walk in to the Embassy for the PCC they do it on the same day .

Abhinav!

There is no guarantee of these time lines. The decision is taken by embassy after seeing your documents.
          The chances are very high to give the passport back same day if your passport was issued by SFO embassy itself.

6. Reshmika Pual
    Reshmika Pual 22 Feb, 19 at 4:57 pm

Really appreciate the great information that you have put together here.
    I have a question. I am Indian by Citizenship, but living alone in Frankfurt with parents staying back in India. When by previous passport got expired, I got the new one issued from Frankfurt Embassy.

My new business venture that I am starting in another country of Europe requires me to get a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) for obtaining the business license. I have approached Frankfurt embassy, and got the PCC, with the verbatim stating –
    “There is no adverse information against holder of Indian Passport dated issued at Frankfurt, which would render her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for

The license application for my business got rejected, stating the purpose in the PCC is misleading, and they had stated they were okay even if there was no purpose stated out there instead of having a false purpose. However, the Frankfurt Embassy are not very helpful and adamant that this would be their standard format, and they won’t be able to change this, despite a lot of plea from my end.

However, in contrary the licensing authorities were able to show a sample PCC from Indian Embassy at London which met their format requirements. Showing that London Embassy PCC wasn’t even convincing for the authorities at the Frankfurt Embassy counter. The website of ‘Ministry of External Affairs, India’ also seems to not mention any other reasons for PCC other than Travel, Work, Immigration. So, confused on how to proceed here. Can I travel back to India and get PCC from India itself in a better format? Any leads or thought process from you would be really helpful.

Regards,
    Reshmika

I can understand your situation. To be frank, i have never heard of this kind of issue before.
      You can try the getting the Indian PCC from India if you want but I am pretty sure they will be equally adamant too!

7. BK
    BK 20 Feb, 19 at 12:58 am

Hi, i’m an Indian citizen and stayed in the U.S for last 10 years. But In 2018 I went back to India for 6 months. I came back to U.S. in January,2019. I need to get PCC from India? My passport was issued from Houston Indian Consulate. Can I apply for PCC from U.S.? How long does it takr to get PCC? Do I need to fill SFO for Houston Indian embassy also? Please help. Thank you in advance

You can apply for Indian Police Clearance certificate (Indian PCC) wit Indian Embassy in USA.

You have to apply PCC in the Indian Embassy that has jurisdiction for your current US residence address state.
      It does not matter if your last Indian passport was issued by Houston Indian Embassy or some other embassy. Your current address will decide the Indian embassy that you can apply to now.

8. Chan Jhapali
    Chan Jhapali 18 Feb, 19 at 6:19 pm

Hello People,
    I am Nepali citizen, completed my education in INDIA (New Delhi), and need police clearance to apply PR in Australia.
    Can you please let me know from where can I get the required PCC ? Should I get it from local police station or RPO or FRRO ?
    I would like to thank you in advance.

What is your current location? India or Nepal?
      If you are in India, you can get PCC from local police station with your Nepalese passport.
      If you are in Nepal, you can get Indian PCC from Indian Embassy in Nepal.

• Chan Jhapali
        Chan Jhapali 20 Feb, 19 at 7:55 am

Currently I am in Australia, and I need PCC for Immigration (Residency purpose).
        Will local police station issue PCC to my brother with authorization letter ?

You have to apply in Indian embassy in Australia for your PCC since you are living there currently.
          PCC will not be issued with Authorization letter. You have to sign yourself and apply yourself.

9. Sohrab Gill
    Sohrab Gill 15 Feb, 19 at 6:01 pm

Hello people! Please help. I’m confused. I am an Indian passport holder/Indian citizen residing in California for the past 5 years. I need to get my police clearance certificate from the Indian embassy in San Francisco. I know what docs are required but I dont know what the steps are and what mailing address to send it to. Or how should I pay for the services? Is there any source where I can get all the above information? Please help! I appreciate it

Did you check the SFO Indian embassy website? It has all the details.

10. Arijit Chattopadhyay
    Arijit Chattopadhyay 15 Feb, 19 at 5:21 pm

I stay in Kuwait and my passport is from Edinburgh, UK as I was staying there between 2014-16. Any idea Indian embassy will take much time to process PCC

Your question is not clear about why you need PCC from india if you did not stay in India?

• Arijit Chattopadhyay
        Arijit Chattopadhyay 16 Feb, 19 at 9:14 am

I am an Indian citizen, my passport was issued by Indian Embassy in Edinburgh, UK, when I stayed in UK 2014-16. In between I stayed in
        India for one year (2016-17)before coming to Kuwait. I obtained Indian PCC before I came to Kuwait in July 2017. Now I stay in Kuwait for job purpose. For Canadian immigration purpose I need to submit an Indian PCC too. They may not accept 2017 Indian PCC being old. So I need to obtain Indian PCC again from Indian embassy in Kuwait. Will it be any easier to obtain or again it would take few months!!

The process to obtain Indian PCC from Indian embassy remain same everywhere. The processing time will vary with each embassy and you should plan for 1-6 weeks of time.

• Arijit Chattopadhyay
            Arijit Chattopadhyay 29 Apr, 19 at 2:44 am

The procedure that I have been through is really opaque. Luckily I had my relatively recent PCC from RPO Kolkata in 2017. In the doldrums of General Election Indian Embassy Kuwait had forwarded my case to Kolkata RPO for police verification through Local Police Station. I didn’t have any hope for getting response as embassy officer told it may take upto few months. I called up Kolkata RPO and luckily they could acknowledge my police file as cleared from 2017 PCC. Then I could manage to get them send email to Indian embassy here. Once I get hold of them in Kolkata RPO, it took 2 weeks to get it. I consider myself lucky.

Anil Gupta 29 Apr, 19 at 6:03 am