US Visa Dropbox Eligibility Checker India 2019

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  20 May, 19

US visa dropbox eligibility check
US visa dropbox eligibility check

Am I eligible for US Visa DropBox in 2019?

US visa Interview waiver is the term used for dropbox facility. There is no dropbox as such but you need to submit your documents to the VFS location assigned by US embassy.

Dropbox helps you to get US visa renewed without appearing for in-person visa interview at US embassy.

Check your eligibility using this simple question and answer form (you need your Google account to use it – no spam, secured by Google)

Open DropBox eligibility checker in new window.

It is possible that you receive a form 221(g) green slip after dropping your documents in US visa dropbox asking to appear for fingerprints.

How to use DropBox

If you qualify for interview waiver (no appointment), you will receive a submission letter containing a document checklist. You will need to follow the same process on the USATravelDocs website to pay the visa fees and then answer the dropbox eligibility questions.

The system will automatically ask you to go for DropBox if you are eligible.

Documents for DropBox

Drop off your passport along with the listed documents mentioned on the submission letter at one of the 11 service centers.

1. One copy of the submission letter – You will get it after you have submitted your DS-160 form.
  2. Your current un-expired passport (original)
  3. Your current or most recent visa – If visa is stamped on old expired passport, then submit that passport too in original
  4. One photograph taken within the last six months (according to US visa photo specifications).
    Do not submit the same photograph that you used in your LAST US visa. They are smart and might reject your case if you use the same photograph and your case will be delayed.
  5. Supporting documentation – 1 set in original + 1 set photo copy.
  6. Children applying through interview waiver should submit photocopies of their parents valid visas and passport bio-page.

Form 221g Admin Processing Dropbox

You can receive form 221g or a call for in-person interview even when you are eligible for dropbox. My suggestion is to book your plane tickets back to US after at-least 3 weeks from the date of your documents submission.

You can submit your visa application anytime in VFS office without any appointment.

Family Member not Eligible for Dropbox

It is possible that you are eligible for dropbox individually but one of your dependent is not. In this case, you can drop your documents separately but your dependent will have to appear for interview in front of visa officer.

Example:

Primary H1B is eligible for dropbox but dependent H4 is not. In this case, there are two options:

• H1B primary uses dropbox and H4 dependent appears for visa interview. H4 cannot get interview waiver just because H1B is dropbox eligible.
  • H1B gives up his option of dropbox and combines his application with H4 to appear for interview along with H4. In this case, H1B application should be added to usatraveldocs online website after first adding the H4 i.e. the application that’s not eligible for interview waiver.

If you are interested in evaluating the DropBox eligibility rules yourself, you can read further.

Dropbox Questions for Age Between 14 – 80 years

You are eligible for Dropbox facility if you can answer YES to all these questions

1. I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply
  2. My most recent visa was issued in India
  3. I received my visa after January 1, 2008
  4. My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”
  5. My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  6. My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen
  7. I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance
  8. If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
    OR

• If I am applying for any other class of visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
    • Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for the Interview Waiver, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.
    • If I am applying for an F visa, am continuing as student at same school for which my previous visa was issued.
    • If I am applying for a J visa, my current DS-2019 is issued by the same institution as the institution listed on my previous visa

Dropbox Criteria for Child Age Less Than 14 years

You should be applying for visa stamp before your 14th birthday along with other criteria mentioned above.
Note: Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of both parent’s passport biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.

DropBox Criteria for Age more than 80 years

Your answer should be ‘YES’ to both questions:

1. I am applying on or after 80th birthday AND
  2. My most recent visa application was not refused.

USA

87 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Harpreet singh
    Harpreet singh 24 Feb, 19 at 2:45 am

Hi Anil
    I paid my fees for c1d visa on 22nd feb and i am eligible for the interview waiver as well and i have taken all the required documents printout as well my question do i need to submit my document as soon as possible or i can submit those documents by 28th feb

You can submit the documents as per your convenience but it is recommended to visit Dropbox center as early as possible.

2. Vaibhav
    Vaibhav 23 Feb, 19 at 11:42 pm

I got H1B visa on my passport expired in Aug’2018. I’ve changed employers before the original visa expired and my current i797 is valid till Oct 2021. I’m planning to go to India next month and looks like I am eligible for dropbox. Likewise, my wife & daughter has H4 on their passport expired in Aug’2018 and their i797 is approved till Dec’2020. I’ve couple of questions about dropbox –
    1. Can I submit a single application online for dropbox for myself and my family or do I need to create different profiles?
    2. My daughter is under 14 and the website says that for kids under 14, we must submit copy of valid visa for both the parents. So, can I drop documents for myself, my wife and my daughter together at once or should I drop for myself and my wife first and once we get Visa stamped on our passports, then should we drop my daughter’s documents with copies of mine and my wife’s visa?

You need to fill separate DS160 for all applicants.
      I think you can drop off documents for all 3 of you at the same time. Kids below 14 are not required to go in person.

• Vaibhav
        Vaibhav 25 Feb, 19 at 8:10 pm

Thanks! I did filled up DS160 separately. But USTravelDocs website says “Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of both parent’s passport biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.”. I’m confused if I should submit my daughter’s application separately after getting Visa for myself and my wife. Have you heard of any issues in similar cases?

I think you need those parents documents when the child is submitting visa application alone.
          In your case, you are submitting all of your family applications together.

• Raj
      Raj 27 Mar, 19 at 10:38 pm

Hi, I am also in the same status like yours. Did drop box work for you? Everything was fine.

Raj.

• Vaibhav
        Vaibhav 23 Apr, 19 at 2:21 am

Yes. We have dropped documents for everyone together and got passports with new visas in 5 days.

3. vishnu priya
    vishnu priya 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Hi
    My previous h4 visa had expiration date June 2019 but my I 94 expired on Jan 1st 2018 which is shortened to the passport expiry date Jan 2018 at the port of entry .we renewed the passport but didn’t renewed I 94 and my spouse employer didn’t filed for extension. so when I came to know that my i94 expired it was 9 months overstay and returned back to India in oct 2018. so kindly clarify whether my visa with date June 2019 is still valid or not .Am I eligible for drop box.please suggest and give opinion.

Visa validity and i94 validity are two separate things.
      The dropbox questions should be answered keeping in mind the visa dates and not i94.

Go through the dropbox app once again and see what result you get.

4. taken421
    taken421 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Hello,

I entered US on H4 visa and got my status changed to H4 – F1 – H1. My H1 was approved last year and is valid for next 2 years. I would like to know if I’m eligible for drop box even if my last visa stamped was H4 and now I’m on H1? Has anyone had similar experience?

Did you check the Dropbox Eligibility questionnaire?

5. Azam
    Azam 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Hi Anil, could you please help me with following question:

1) I am the primary H1B applicant, got visa stamping in Jan 2018 in Hyd consulate and changed the employer in August 2018. As per the VFS website I’m eligible for the drop box.

But

2) My wife & Daughter (H4 visa) had their last visa stamped back in 2013 and their stamped visa expired in 2015. I have added them to the same application, but VFS website didn’t prompt for any questions for my wife & daughter. It prompted the regular questions for the primary applicant (H1B) and shows that we all are eligible for the dropbox.

I just want to clarify if my family is eligible for the dropbox? I’d really appreciate your quick response and any opinion

It sounds like you made a mistake while answering questions for your H4 dependents.
      When you add your dependent (H4) to VFS website, it would ask questions specific to that newly added DS-160 and not the primary H1B.

If your dependents are not eligible for dropbox, they should appear for interview.
      If any one in the whole group is NOT eligible for dropbox, the whole group has to appear for interview.

6. Bala
    Bala 18 Nov, 18 at 7:23 am

Hi,
    You posts are useful to me. I have a question for you. I got H1B visa stamped in Oct 2016 and got expiration date to mid of 2019 (appears on passport). In 2017 I changed my employer, location and client and filed amendment. Now I got validity until mid of 2020. So my question is if I travel to India before or after 2019, am I eligible for dropbox? Please suggest.

Anil Gupta 18 Nov, 18 at 7:50 am

Please use the Dropbox eligibility checker given above. If it says yes for eligibility, you are eligible.
      To answer your question, H1B amendment does not affect Dropbox eligibility.

7. Bala
    Bala 18 Nov, 18 at 7:19 am

Drop box Eligibility

8. Saikat Banerjee
    Saikat Banerjee 8 Nov, 18 at 9:58 pm

I have an F1 Visa and it was stamped in New Delhi. Now, I am planning to renew it through Kolkata. Do I still qualify for Dropbox interview waiver program?
    Thanks!

Anil Gupta 9 Nov, 18 at 8:36 am

You can check your eligibility using the app above.
      Change of US embassy within same country does not affect Dropbox eligibility though.

• Saikat Banerjee
        Saikat Banerjee 9 Nov, 18 at 2:44 pm

Thanks, Anil.

9. DDSD
    DDSD 8 Nov, 18 at 3:26 pm

My last visa stamping was done through drop box in Apr-2016 and it got expired recently, so if i visit India within 1 year then am I eligible for drop box again? can i have back to back visa stamping through drop box or there is a high chance i could be called for interview? There is no change in employment or Visa Class.
    Thanks!

Anil Gupta 8 Nov, 18 at 3:55 pm

If you are eligible and qualify as per the Dropbox questionnaire, then there should be no issue in another dropbox visa stamping.

10. Deepak
    Deepak 7 Nov, 18 at 2:29 pm

I have a question regarding H1B Visa drop box.

I did a H1 transfer from a E-C model employer to E-V-C model employer earlier this year.
    My current visa expired in June 2018 and I need to Travel to India in Jan 2019. My current Petition is valid until Oct 2020.

Is it advisable to opt for Drop Box in E-V-C model?

Anil Gupta 7 Nov, 18 at 2:41 pm

Dropbox does not make any difference to E-C or E-V-C model.
      If US embassy thinks that they need more information from you after Dropbox, they will either call you for interview or ask for more documents.

Also, when you start your US Visa interview appointment, it will ask you questions to check your Dropbox eligibility.
      If you are eligible, it will ask you to go for it.

As per my opinion, you should Dropbox if you are eligible.

• Deepak
        Deepak 7 Nov, 18 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am eligible for drop box for sure and I think its not an option to not opt for it.

In case if they call for an Interview, is that immediate or I need to book based on the availability?

Anil Gupta 7 Nov, 18 at 3:41 pm

Yes, DropBox is not optional if you are alone.
          If you go with family for interview as a group and one of the member is NOT eligible for dropbox, then you can skip (opt out of) dropbox too.

US embassy will guide you on interview based on your paperwork. Most of the time, you have to book an appointment through the usual appointment calendar.

• Deepak
            Deepak 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Just an update, I went with Dropbox and got the stamped visa in 5 days irrespective of change in employer.
            Thanks for guiding me.

Great. Congratulations Deepak. Enjoy.
              Thanks for sharing your details.

Do share the website with other if you think it helped you.