US Visa Dropbox Eligibility Checker India 2019

Anil Gupta  18 Mar, 19      32  USA

Am I eligible for US Visa DropBox in 2019?

Check your eligibility using this simple question and answer form (you need your Google account to use it – no spam, secured by Google)

Open DropBox eligibility checker in new window.

It is possible that you receive a form 221(g) green slip after dropping your documents in US visa dropbox asking to appear for fingerprints.

If you are interested in evaluating the DropBox eligibility rules yourself, you can read these here:

Dropbox Eligibility Criteria (Age > 14 years and Age < 80 years)

Answer YES to all to be eligible

1. I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply
  2. My most recent visa was issued in India
  3. I received my visa after January 1, 2008
  4. My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”
  5. My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  6. My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen
  7. I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance
  8. If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
    OR

• If I am applying for any other class of visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
    • Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for the Interview Waiver, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.
    • If I am applying for an F visa, am continuing as student at same school for which my previous visa was issued.
    • If I am applying for a J visa, my current DS-2019 is issued by the same institution as the institution listed on my previous visa

Dropbox Eligibility Criteria for Child Age < 14 years

I am applying before my 14th birthday.
Note: Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of both parent’s passport biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.

DropBox Eligibility criteria for Age >= 80 years

Your answer should be ‘YES’ to both questions:

1. I am applying on or after 80th birthday AND
  2. My most recent visa application was not refused.

US visa interview waiver program – Dropbox

Repeat travelers to the United States are allowed to get their US visa renewed without appearing for in-person visa interview at US embassy.
This saves time and helps people plan their travel in a better way.

Note that Using the interview waiver service does not guarantee visa issuance.

In some cases, you may be required to appear for a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, for example, if you submit an incomplete and/or inaccurate application.
Submit your application well in advance of your planned travel to allow for the possibility that a visa interview will be necessary.

Eligible for interview waiver – How to use DropBox?

If you qualify for interview waiver (no appointment), you will receive a submission letter containing a document checklist.
Print one copy of the submission letter.

Drop off your passport along with the listed documents mentioned on the submission letter at one of the 11 service centers.

1. Your current un-expired passport (original)
  2. Your current or most recent visa – If visa is stamped on old expired passport, then submit that passport too in original
  3. One copy of the submission letter – You will get it after you have submitted your DS-160 form.
  4. One photograph taken within the last six months (according to US visa photo specifications).
    Do not submit the same photograph that you used in your LAST US visa. They are smart and might reject your case if you use the same photograph and your case will be delayed.
  5. Supporting documentation – 1 set in original + 1 set photo copy.
  6. Children applying through interview waiver should submit photocopies of their parents valid visas and passport bio-page.
US visa dropbox eligibility check
US visa dropbox eligibility check

Comments, questions and suggestions are welcome in comments.

1 2

1. Harpreet singh   24 Feb, 19 at 2:45 am

Hi Anil
    I paid my fees for c1d visa on 22nd feb and i am eligible for the interview waiver as well and i have taken all the required documents printout as well my question do i need to submit my document as soon as possible or i can submit those documents by 28th feb

• You can submit the documents as per your convenience but it is recommended to visit Dropbox center as early as possible.

2. Hi Anil,

I got H1B visa on my passport expired in Aug’2018. I’ve changed employers before the original visa expired and my current i797 is valid till Oct 2021. I’m planning to go to India next month and looks like I am eligible for dropbox. Likewise, my wife & daughter has H4 on their passport expired in Aug’2018 and their i797 is approved till Dec’2020. I’ve couple of questions about dropbox –
    1. Can I submit a single application online for dropbox for myself and my family or do I need to create different profiles?
    2. My daughter is under 14 and the website says that for kids under 14, we must submit copy of valid visa for both the parents. So, can I drop documents for myself, my wife and my daughter together at once or should I drop for myself and my wife first and once we get Visa stamped on our passports, then should we drop my daughter’s documents with copies of mine and my wife’s visa?

• You need to fill separate DS160 for all applicants.
      I think you can drop off documents for all 3 of you at the same time. Kids below 14 are not required to go in person.

• Thanks! I did filled up DS160 separately. But USTravelDocs website says “Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of both parent’s passport biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.”. I’m confused if I should submit my daughter’s application separately after getting Visa for myself and my wife. Have you heard of any issues in similar cases?

• I think you need those parents documents when the child is submitting visa application alone.
          In your case, you are submitting all of your family applications together.

3. vishnu priya   28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

Hi
    My previous h4 visa had expiration date June 2019 but my I 94 expired on Jan 1st 2018 which is shortened to the passport expiry date Jan 2018 at the port of entry .we renewed the passport but didn’t renewed I 94 and my spouse employer didn’t filed for extension. so when I came to know that my i94 expired it was 9 months overstay and returned back to India in oct 2018. so kindly clarify whether my visa with date June 2019 is still valid or not .Am I eligible for drop box.please suggest and give opinion.

• Anil Gupta   9 Feb, 19 at 10:02 am

Visa validity and i94 validity are two separate things.
      The dropbox questions should be answered keeping in mind the visa dates and not i94.

Go through the dropbox app once again and see what result you get.

4. Hello,

I entered US on H4 visa and got my status changed to H4 – F1 – H1. My H1 was approved last year and is valid for next 2 years. I would like to know if I’m eligible for drop box even if my last visa stamped was H4 and now I’m on H1? Has anyone had similar experience?

5. Hi Anil, could you please help me with following question:

1) I am the primary H1B applicant, got visa stamping in Jan 2018 in Hyd consulate and changed the employer in August 2018. As per the VFS website I’m eligible for the drop box.

But

2) My wife & Daughter (H4 visa) had their last visa stamped back in 2013 and their stamped visa expired in 2015. I have added them to the same application, but VFS website didn’t prompt for any questions for my wife & daughter. It prompted the regular questions for the primary applicant (H1B) and shows that we all are eligible for the dropbox.

I just want to clarify if my family is eligible for the dropbox? I’d really appreciate your quick response and any opinion

• Anil Gupta   9 Feb, 19 at 10:02 am

It sounds like you made a mistake while answering questions for your H4 dependents.
      When you add your dependent (H4) to VFS website, it would ask questions specific to that newly added DS-160 and not the primary H1B.

If your dependents are not eligible for dropbox, they should appear for interview.
      If any one in the whole group is NOT eligible for dropbox, the whole group has to appear for interview.

6. Hi,
    You posts are useful to me. I have a question for you. I got H1B visa stamped in Oct 2016 and got expiration date to mid of 2019 (appears on passport). In 2017 I changed my employer, location and client and filed amendment. Now I got validity until mid of 2020. So my question is if I travel to India before or after 2019, am I eligible for dropbox? Please suggest.

• Anil Gupta   18 Nov, 18 at 7:50 am

Please use the Dropbox eligibility checker given above. If it says yes for eligibility, you are eligible.
      To answer your question, H1B amendment does not affect Dropbox eligibility.

7. Drop box Eligibility

8. Saikat Banerjee   8 Nov, 18 at 9:58 pm

I have an F1 Visa and it was stamped in New Delhi. Now, I am planning to renew it through Kolkata. Do I still qualify for Dropbox interview waiver program?
    Thanks!

• Anil Gupta   9 Nov, 18 at 8:36 am

You can check your eligibility using the app above.
      Change of US embassy within same country does not affect Dropbox eligibility though.

9. Hi Anil,

My last visa stamping was done through drop box in Apr-2016 and it got expired recently, so if i visit India within 1 year then am I eligible for drop box again? can i have back to back visa stamping through drop box or there is a high chance i could be called for interview? There is no change in employment or Visa Class.
    Thanks!

• Anil Gupta   8 Nov, 18 at 3:55 pm

If you are eligible and qualify as per the Dropbox questionnaire, then there should be no issue in another dropbox visa stamping.

10. Hi Anil,

I have a question regarding H1B Visa drop box.

I did a H1 transfer from a E-C model employer to E-V-C model employer earlier this year.
    My current visa expired in June 2018 and I need to Travel to India in Jan 2019. My current Petition is valid until Oct 2020.

Is it advisable to opt for Drop Box in E-V-C model?

• Anil Gupta   7 Nov, 18 at 2:41 pm

Dropbox does not make any difference to E-C or E-V-C model.
      If US embassy thinks that they need more information from you after Dropbox, they will either call you for interview or ask for more documents.

Also, when you start your US Visa interview appointment, it will ask you questions to check your Dropbox eligibility.
      If you are eligible, it will ask you to go for it.

As per my opinion, you should Dropbox if you are eligible.

• Thanks for the quick reply. I am eligible for drop box for sure and I think its not an option to not opt for it.

In case if they call for an Interview, is that immediate or I need to book based on the availability?

• Anil Gupta   7 Nov, 18 at 3:41 pm

Yes, DropBox is not optional if you are alone.
          If you go with family for interview as a group and one of the member is NOT eligible for dropbox, then you can skip (opt out of) dropbox too.

US embassy will guide you on interview based on your paperwork. Most of the time, you have to book an appointment through the usual appointment calendar.

• Hi Anil,
            Just an update, I went with Dropbox and got the stamped visa in 5 days irrespective of change in employer.
            Thanks for guiding me.

• Anil Gupta   9 Feb, 19 at 10:27 am

Great. Congratulations Deepak. Enjoy.
              Thanks for sharing your details.

Do share the website with other if you think it helped you.

1 2