US Visa Dropbox Eligibility Checker India 2019

US visa dropbox eligibility checker 2019. H1B to H4 COS stamping eligible for dropbox due to same class H. Visa fees required. Admin processing not eligible.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  31 Jul, 19

Am I eligible for US Visa DropBox in 2019?

US visa Interview waiver is the term used for dropbox facility. There is no dropbox as such but you need to submit your documents to the VFS location assigned by US embassy.

Dropbox Processing time varies from 1 day to 6 weeks. We strongly recommend to keep a buffer of at-least 3 weeks after dropping your application as you can be called for interview. Many applications also receive form 221g and can delay your passport.

Dropbox helps you to get US visa renewed without appearing for in-person visa interview at US embassy.

Check your eligibility using this simple question and answer form (you need your Google account to use it – no spam, secured by Google)

Open link in new window.

It is possible that you receive a form 221(g) green slip after dropping your documents in US visa dropbox asking to appear for fingerprints.

Last Stamping in Canada or Mexico?

You are not eligible for Dropbox in India if your last visa stamp was issued in Mexico or Canada. Many H1B, H4 and F1 students do get their US visa stamps in near shore countries but this makes them ineligible for interview waiver in Indian US embassy.

How to use DropBox

If you qualify for interview waiver (no appointment), you will receive a submission letter containing a document checklist. You will need to follow the same process on the USATravelDocs website to pay the visa fees and then answer the dropbox eligibility questions.

The system will automatically ask you to go for DropBox if you are eligible.

Documents for DropBox

Drop off your passport along with the listed documents mentioned on the submission letter at one of the 11 service centers.

1. One copy of the submission letter – You will get it after you have submitted your DS-160 form.
  2. Your current un-expired passport (original)
  3. Your current or most recent visa – If visa is stamped on old expired passport, then submit that passport too in original
  4. One photograph taken within the last six months (according to US visa photo specifications).
    Do not submit the same photograph that you used in your LAST US visa. They are smart and might reject your case if you use the same photograph and your case will be delayed.
  5. Supporting documentation – 1 set in original + 1 set photo copy.
  6. Children applying through interview waiver should submit photocopies of their parents valid visas and passport bio-page.

Supporting documentation varies by each US visa type:

Dropbox eligible if last stamping was done in Canada/Mexico?

You are not eligible for Dropbox in India if last stamping was done outside India including Canada or Mexico.

Is Appointment Required for Dropbox?

There is no appointment required for Dropbox submission. You can visit the Dropbox center anytime and submit your documents for visa stamp.

Dropbox Visa Stamping Processing Time?

Dropbox visa processing can take between 3 to 21 days.

Can US Embassy call for visa interview after Dropbox?

US embassy can call you for visa interview after your have dropped your documents. There is no need to take visa interview appointment if they call you.

Green form 221(g) issued after Dropbox for Fingerprinting

US embassy can issue a green form 221(g) and ask you to visit in person for fingerprints.

Is H1B extension denial same as visa denial?

H1B extension, amendment and transfers are called ‘petition’ and are filed with USCIS. Petition denial is not same as H1B visa denial that’s denied by US embassy.

Form 221g Admin Processing Dropbox

You can receive form 221g or a call for in-person interview even when you are eligible for dropbox. My suggestion is to book your plane tickets back to US after at-least 3 weeks from the date of your documents submission.

You can submit your visa application anytime in VFS office without any appointment.

Family Member not Eligible for Dropbox

It is possible that you are eligible for dropbox individually but one of your dependent is not. In this case, you can drop your documents separately but your dependent will have to appear for interview in front of visa officer.

Example:

Primary H1B is eligible for dropbox but dependent H4 is not. In this case, there are two options:

• H1B primary uses dropbox and H4 dependent appears for visa interview. H4 cannot get interview waiver just because H1B is dropbox eligible.
  • H1B gives up his option of dropbox and combines his application with H4 to appear for interview along with H4. In this case, H1B application should be added to usatraveldocs online website after first adding the H4 i.e. the application that’s not eligible for interview waiver.

If you are interested in evaluating the DropBox eligibility rules yourself, you can read further.

Dropbox Questions for Age Between 14 to 80 years

You are eligible for Dropbox facility if you can answer YES to all these questions

#1 I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply.

Class means the visa alphabet character excluding the number. The class now means exact same visa including alphabet and number.

Example: H1B and H4 have same class. H1B and H4 are different visa classes now as per new update in usaTravelDocs website.

#2 My most recent visa was issued in India.

If you got your visa stamp in Mexico or Canada or any other non-Indian country, you are in-eligible.

Example: If you got your first time H1B visa stamp in Mexico or Canada or any other US embassy outside India.

#3 I received my visa after January 1, 2008

#4 My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”

If your last visa stamping got a form 221g for any reason, your US visa stamp will have the marking of ‘Clearance received” or “Department Authorization”.

H1B visa clearance received annotation
H1B visa clearance received annotation

#5 My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday.

#6 My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen

Example: If you got your US visa replaced after passport was lost in Europe on your travel, you will need to appear for visa interview.

#7 I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance.

This question asks for visa refusal after your last visa issuance but when you actually go for appointment booking online, the question changes to ‘any visa refusal anytime in past’. Hence, we have changed it here.

H1B extension or transfer petition denial in US is NOT same as H1B visa denial at US embassy. Your visa is counted as denied only if you applied it in any US embassy and not USCIS.

L or H visa petitions are sent to USCIS and H and L visa applications are sent to US embassy.

If you ever got B1/B2 visa denial and now applying for H1B visa, you are still not eligible for dropbox as your B1 was denied.

#8 If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.

OR

• If I am applying for any other class of visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
  • Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for the Interview Waiver, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.
  • If I am applying for an F visa, am continuing as student at same school for which my previous visa was issued.
  • If I am applying for a J visa, my current DS-2019 is issued by the same institution as the institution listed on my previous visa.

Dropbox Criteria for Child Age Less Than 14 years

You should be applying for visa stamp before your 14th birthday along with other criteria mentioned above.
Note: Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of both parent’s passport biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.

DropBox Criteria for Age more than 80 years

Your answer should be ‘YES’ to both questions:

1. I am applying on or after 80th birthday AND
  2. My most recent visa application was not refused.

USA

131 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Maddy
    Maddy 14 Jun, 19 at 5:27 pm

Hi I am in Usa now from 7 days on B1/B2 and I got limited stay and I have my wife and 2 kids in India 1 of them is just 5 months and don’t hold visa and I have my return plan on 7th and limited stay will also finish on 8th but I want to call them for travel with me now can I ask my wife to apply drop box visa for my 2nd kid now can we get

Anil Gupta 14 Jun, 19 at 5:39 pm

Did you check your 2nd kid’s Dropbox eligibility using above app?

2. manju
    manju 13 Jun, 19 at 11:29 am

i was schedule for an appointment before payment there were few question on eof the question is “was your visa(spouse/child)was issued on or after 14th birthday” what should i answer “yes/no”. as an adult i got my visa after my 14th birthday but my son who is 15 yrs now who got visa at age of 13 and my daughter who got at age of 9.
    is this question is applicable only for the applicant r including applicant dependent who accomping with the applicant.

Anil Gupta 13 Jun, 19 at 2:29 pm

The question has to be answered separately for EACH applicant. Each person has to fill his/her DS160 separately.

3. Anonymous
    Anonymous 8 Jun, 19 at 6:00 pm

My kid just turned 14 and when I filled the form , it said I’m eligible for dropbox. Does it mean my kid would also be eligible or should I create another profile and see if she is actually eligible

Anil Gupta 8 Jun, 19 at 6:29 pm

Dropbox questions have to be checked for each person and kid separately.

• Anonymous
        Anonymous 8 Jun, 19 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Anil!!

4. Ravali
    Ravali 5 Jun, 19 at 11:41 pm

Hi. Can a family members submit papers for drop box or does the applicant have to be there?

Anil Gupta 6 Jun, 19 at 7:55 am

I think a family member is allowed to drop the documents. But, it is recommended that you personally drop your own documents.

5. Saumil
    Saumil 2 Jun, 19 at 10:02 pm

My h4 visa stamp was stamped on dec 21, 2018 and is till 10/2020. My h1b COS in usa got approved in apr 2019. Till what date am I eligible for dropbox. Till 10/2021?

Anil Gupta 3 Jun, 19 at 7:24 am

Please use the Dropbox checker given above to find your eligibility.

6. Neel Kushare
    Neel Kushare 2 Jun, 19 at 6:44 pm

The waiver ( dropbox) wait time to get the passport back is 3 weeks ( which is too long for me). Could you please tell me if it is possible to apply for the interview even if I am eligible for the dropbox? if yes, what is the procedure?
    thanks !

Anil Gupta 2 Jun, 19 at 6:44 pm

The wait time will be same for visa interview and then passport.

You can opt for visa interview if any one person in your family or group is not eligible for dropbox.

• Neel Kushare
        Neel Kushare 3 Jun, 19 at 5:01 pm

Thank you.

7. Vagarwal
    Vagarwal 28 May, 19 at 7:01 pm

I am applying for a change of status from H4 EAD to H1B (Approval received) in New Delhi. My previous H1B stamp in the passport was marked “Cancelled without Prejudice” when I transferred to H4 .My H4 stamp is valid and stamped in passport.
    Based on your questionnaire if I consider H4 & H1b to be the same class or type, I am eligible for dropbox. But my lawyer is saying that H4 & H1B are not the same class. Which is true? Anyone who had dropbox in change of status from H4 to H1b?

Hope you can help!

Anil Gupta 28 May, 19 at 10:28 pm

Class is referred to as the ‘H’ and the category is H4 and H1B.

You can try with it and if US embassy finds that you need interview, they will call you for personal interview.

Or the other option is to do what your attorney is saying.
      Your choice.

8. Sanju
    Sanju 28 May, 19 at 11:52 am

My Extension is approved, My Wife & Son has taken the biometric for their Extension in US, But their Extension approval notice is not yet received, it is been a month now, They have to travel India along with me, for H4 stamping in India do they need H4 Extension Approval notice or They can use my H1B Extension Approval notice.

Anil Gupta 28 May, 19 at 12:39 pm

Only H1B extention approval is required for H4 visa stamping.

9. Vishal
    Vishal 27 May, 19 at 3:09 pm

I received F1 Visa for fall 2018 program, but in the end was not able to attend the program. The university deffered my admission to Fall 2019 program.
    I have applied for F1 Visa for fall 2019 program. In the application process there were questions related to previous F1 Visa. I answered them and the portal mentioned that I was eligible for “Interview waiver”. Because of that I am not able to Schedule my Visa interview.
    “Interview Waiver” has a disclaimer mentioning that I may be called for an interview. but with the same application I am unable to book an appointment.

Has anyone got visa via “Interview Waiver” or been through the similar situation.. pls help.

Anil Gupta 27 May, 19 at 4:16 pm

What is the problem with “interview waiver” if you are eligible? In-fact, it is good that you are eligible for dropbox and you may get your F1 visa with without interview.

10. Chebrolu Prasanth
    Chebrolu Prasanth 27 May, 19 at 11:08 am

Hello,

1)I am on H1b and after answering drob eligibily questions in ustravel docs –I got this –Congratulations! You qualify for the Interview Waiver (No Appointment). Please do not schedule an appointment at the Visa Application Center or U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

2)My wife is on h4 visa and she is india .I added her as a dependent and paid money at axis bank for 2 of us in 1 advice slip–Did we do it right as we need to enter same receipt number?

After entering receipt number for both of us — i am getting–Step 8: Please enter your MRV receipt information below.

No valid record can be found for the entered receipt number. Please validate that your receipt number is correct and that you have paid the correct amount for the visa which you are applying for

3)Now since i am eligible for dropbox,is my wife also eligible for dropbox?

4)I did not receive any dropbox eligibility email .When will i receive it?

5)how to schedule an appointment by ignoring the dropbox eligibilty?

Please answer my questions .

Thank you.

Anil Gupta 27 May, 19 at 3:48 pm

Dropbox eligibility has to be checked separately for each person.

It is possible that you are eligible for dropbox but your dependent is not eligible.
      In that case, your dependent will have to appear for visa interview.

If you want to attend interview with your H4 dependent who is not eligible for dropbox, you should first add your dependent to the usatraveldocs website and then add yourself. This way, you both will have to appear for interview.

The fees receipt gets activated in about 4-48 hours payment.

• Chebrolu Prasanth
        Chebrolu Prasanth 28 May, 19 at 11:21 am

Thanks for you reply on my previous questions.

I have created profile and After receipt number got activated i got confirmation for Dropbox with interview waiver for both me and my wife.(Her name is there on confirmation as i added her as dependent)

I have few questions:

1)My wife was in india since october 2018 and we did not apply for her H4 extension.
        if we are using dropbox,what documents should i drop related to my wife.

2)If we dont want to use dropbox and schedule an appointment with the current payment receipt number .What are the steps?

Kindly let me know.

Anil Gupta 28 May, 19 at 12:29 pm

You can use the H4 visa stamping checklist.

Please follow the instructions on the usatraveldocs website for booking an interview appointment. I do not have the steps with me at this time.

11. Riddhan
    Riddhan 20 May, 19 at 12:02 pm

Hi Anil

I have selected Dropbox for my H1b visa stamping. I did submitted my passport on May 6th 2019, and till today’s date it’s still showing under administrative process. It’s been 2 weeks already. Should I contact the VFS office or wait till they call me. Please advise.

Anil Gupta 27 May, 19 at 3:47 pm

You should wait for a response from VFS office.

12. Rekhavem
    Rekhavem 19 May, 19 at 1:22 am

13 days ago

I have a question regarding H4 dropbox option. We are going to India for some emergency whether I am eligible for dropbox or not . I have visa stamping in my passport upto Dec 2017. I have visa extension with me. This is the clause which I am getting confused.

If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months – yes or no

Anil Gupta 19 May, 19 at 11:44 am

Visa is the stamp that you have in your passport.
      The extention that you file within USA is called ‘petition’ and not visa.

So, your visa expired more than 12 months ago. You should say ‘No’.

13. SHRIDHAR BHAT
    SHRIDHAR BHAT 13 May, 19 at 10:13 am

I am also facing a new problem. Some how my log-in got locked.
    When I enter my email address as username and my password, it says password is wrong.

I tried many times, I also tried with forgotten password, got new password from system.
    Still the problem exist.
    Is there any condition that log-in get locked? If so, how to over come from this problem?

Anil Gupta 13 May, 19 at 3:45 pm

You should contact usatravels support to know what could be wrong with your ID.

14. SHRIDHAR BHAT
    SHRIDHAR BHAT 13 May, 19 at 10:12 am

When and how will I get submission letter?.
    After I filled all the questions, I received a message – Congratulating me for getting eligibility for interview waiver.
    After I clicked ‘continue’ button, I came back to first page of scheduling for interview.
    How to get this submission letter ?

Anil Gupta 13 May, 19 at 3:45 pm

You should contact usatravels support to know what could be wrong with your application.

15. Lakshmi Devi Sambanthan
    Lakshmi Devi Sambanthan 6 May, 19 at 8:56 am

I have a question regarding H4 EAD dropbox option. We are going to chennai and gonna use dropbox since we got our visa extension last novemeber. My question here is I am on H4 visa with EAD and working in US right now. We know that we can go for dropbox together but little worried that will my working status (EAD) affect or create any issue in the dropbox process. Any useful details are appreciated. Thanks!

Anil Gupta 6 May, 19 at 9:05 am

No issues with the legal H4 EAD work permit for stamping. You are following the law. Why are you worried?

• Lakshmi Devi Sambanthan
        Lakshmi Devi Sambanthan 6 May, 19 at 9:05 am

There was a question in the DS160 form, after I mentioned my visa as H4 it asked are you working? I said Yes and it asked all my employment details here. That made me worried little 🙂

Anil Gupta 6 May, 19 at 9:34 am

Don’t worry. You are working with legally allowed work permit.

16. Jemis Gandhi
    Jemis Gandhi 4 May, 19 at 10:00 pm

Hello.. Anil
    This is jemis gandhi. i have usa 5 years student visa which is going to expire next month. i came back to india after completion of three semester due to health issue and did not go back to usa than. can i eligible for interview waiver program for my f1 visa renewal for completion of my study?

Anil Gupta 4 May, 19 at 10:45 pm

Please use the dropbox checker tool given above.

• Jemis Gandhi
        Jemis Gandhi 4 May, 19 at 11:36 pm

I have used it but showing not eligible but as i m match with all questions.

Anil Gupta 5 May, 19 at 12:12 pm

If it says not eligible, then you are not eligible as per the rules set by US embassy.

• Jemis Gandhi
            Jemis Gandhi 10 May, 19 at 9:30 pm

Hello…
            as i have student visa can i get b1b2 visa from drop box?

Anil Gupta 11 May, 19 at 5:45 am

Did you read the dropbox rules? It has to be same type of visa.

• Jemis Gandhi
                Jemis Gandhi 11 May, 19 at 10:38 pm

This is Jemis Gandhi from India.
                I have one question regarding B1/B2 visa. I have been to USA already for study MBA in 2014 but due to health issue could not complete MBA. I have completed 3 semester out of 4 semester and came to india in 2016 without incompletion MBA.
                Now i want to apply for B1/B2 visa for visit my friends there.

So my question is what to fill out in DS160 form for this incompletion study???

Looking for your reply.

Thank You.

Anil Gupta 12 May, 19 at 3:15 am

I don’t understand your question. You have to fill whatever is correct.

• Jemis Gandhi
                    Jemis Gandhi 12 May, 19 at 5:32 am

If possible may i have your contact number please??

Anil Gupta 12 May, 19 at 6:04 am

If you want paid private consulting, send an email to
                      Contact AT am22tech DOT com

17. Lakshman A
    Lakshman A 30 Apr, 19 at 3:51 pm

My H1 VISA with my previous employer was expired on Sept 11, 2018. I moved to another employer in 2016 and got the H1 extension. I am planning to visit and India in August 2019, so am I eligible for drop box facility as my current employer is not same as mentioned in my expired VISA. Please clarify. Thank you. Lakshman

Anil Gupta 30 Apr, 19 at 6:11 pm

Dropbox eligibility is not affected by Employer.

18. yuvaraj
    yuvaraj 28 Apr, 19 at 11:48 am

I’m sure many of them had asked similar question, but I just wanted to make sure my understanding about the dropbox process is in sync and that is based on my current situation.
    a) I got my first visa stamping in India which was valid till 22 Sept 2018, employer A was my petitioner.
    b) By start of Jan-2018 I changed to employer B and by May-2018 I changed to employer C.
    c) Now I’m planning to visit India by end of Jul-2019 and planning for Visa stamping Starting Aug-2018 (may be Aug-05-2019)

My doubts here are,
    1) as I didn’t go to India for stamping when I changed from employer A to employer B, does my stamping with employer A and I797 copy of employer C is still considered valid reason under section “My most recent visa was issued in India by US Embassy ” and “My prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.”

2) My Son (H4) who is under 14 had new passport within this period. Does it marks anything as “No” state for his dropbox application.

Anil Gupta 28 Apr, 19 at 12:23 pm

Visa stamp stays valid even when you change Employer. That’s why the question does not say anything about Employer.

Your son should answer question as per his age.

19. Kesava
    Kesava 21 Apr, 19 at 8:04 pm

Me (h1) and my 13 yrs old son (h4) going to India in mid July and my wife (h4) coming in August 2nd week. We are all eligible for drop box.

Can I first drop mine and my son documents soon we reach India? Or should we wait for my wife to come?

Anil Gupta 21 Apr, 19 at 10:51 pm

You can drop documents as per your choice. But, i recommend dropping them all together.

20. Krishna
    Krishna 21 Apr, 19 at 1:00 am

Thank you so much for providing responses. I am eligible for drop box and planning to visit India in the month of may. I am from Madhya Pradesh and the nearest US embassy location is Mumbai. But this time I will be in the Chennai during my trip, so I selected Chennai location while filling DS 160. While scheduling for the appointment, If I select Madhya Pradesh is my state of residence, the website automatically giving Mumbai for the dropbox location. Last time, when I went for my H1B stamping, I did select Madhya Pradesh as my state of residence, but when scheduling the appointment I had options to choose different visa locations and i chose Chennai for the visa appointment and got the stamping. But this time as I am eligible for dropbox, 1. Do i need to select Tamilnadu as my state of residence or Madhya Pradesh? or Can I drop appliaction at any location? 2. If my application requires further processing 221 g and ask for personnel interview, Where do I need to go, Chennai or Mumbai?

Anil Gupta 21 Apr, 19 at 6:46 am

Do you have a residence in TamilNadu?
      If yes, you can select it and schedule appointment at Chennai.

The Dropbox location will also be chosen as per your residence state selection.
      If they call you for interview after dropping documents, the embassy location will be based on what you selected as your residence state.

Officially, they allow choosing any US embassy as per your choice within same country. I am not sure why they have changed this process for dropbox.

• Krishna
        Krishna 21 Apr, 19 at 12:20 pm

Thank you Anil for the quick response. I am from Madhya Pradesh and my brother lives in chennai. During my trip to India, I will be in chennai. So I want to use dropbox in the chennai and chennai embassy ( in case of interview) . Can I do that?

Anil Gupta 21 Apr, 19 at 12:29 pm

As far as i know, there is no address verification done. So, you should be able to do it.

• Krishna