US Visa Dropbox Eligibility Checker India 2019

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  20 May, 19

US visa dropbox eligibility check
US visa dropbox eligibility check

Am I eligible for US Visa DropBox in 2019?

US visa Interview waiver is the term used for dropbox facility. There is no dropbox as such but you need to submit your documents to the VFS location assigned by US embassy.

Dropbox helps you to get US visa renewed without appearing for in-person visa interview at US embassy.

Check your eligibility using this simple question and answer form (you need your Google account to use it – no spam, secured by Google)

Open DropBox eligibility checker in new window.

It is possible that you receive a form 221(g) green slip after dropping your documents in US visa dropbox asking to appear for fingerprints.

How to use DropBox

If you qualify for interview waiver (no appointment), you will receive a submission letter containing a document checklist. You will need to follow the same process on the USATravelDocs website to pay the visa fees and then answer the dropbox eligibility questions.

The system will automatically ask you to go for DropBox if you are eligible.

Documents for DropBox

Drop off your passport along with the listed documents mentioned on the submission letter at one of the 11 service centers.

1. One copy of the submission letter – You will get it after you have submitted your DS-160 form.
  2. Your current un-expired passport (original)
  3. Your current or most recent visa – If visa is stamped on old expired passport, then submit that passport too in original
  4. One photograph taken within the last six months (according to US visa photo specifications).
    Do not submit the same photograph that you used in your LAST US visa. They are smart and might reject your case if you use the same photograph and your case will be delayed.
  5. Supporting documentation – 1 set in original + 1 set photo copy.
  6. Children applying through interview waiver should submit photocopies of their parents valid visas and passport bio-page.

Form 221g Admin Processing Dropbox

You can receive form 221g or a call for in-person interview even when you are eligible for dropbox. My suggestion is to book your plane tickets back to US after at-least 3 weeks from the date of your documents submission.

You can submit your visa application anytime in VFS office without any appointment.

Family Member not Eligible for Dropbox

It is possible that you are eligible for dropbox individually but one of your dependent is not. In this case, you can drop your documents separately but your dependent will have to appear for interview in front of visa officer.

Example:

Primary H1B is eligible for dropbox but dependent H4 is not. In this case, there are two options:

• H1B primary uses dropbox and H4 dependent appears for visa interview. H4 cannot get interview waiver just because H1B is dropbox eligible.
  • H1B gives up his option of dropbox and combines his application with H4 to appear for interview along with H4. In this case, H1B application should be added to usatraveldocs online website after first adding the H4 i.e. the application that’s not eligible for interview waiver.

If you are interested in evaluating the DropBox eligibility rules yourself, you can read further.

Dropbox Questions for Age Between 14 – 80 years

You are eligible for Dropbox facility if you can answer YES to all these questions

1. I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply
  2. My most recent visa was issued in India
  3. I received my visa after January 1, 2008
  4. My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”
  5. My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  6. My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen
  7. I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance
  8. If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
    OR

• If I am applying for any other class of visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
    • Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for the Interview Waiver, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.
    • If I am applying for an F visa, am continuing as student at same school for which my previous visa was issued.
    • If I am applying for a J visa, my current DS-2019 is issued by the same institution as the institution listed on my previous visa

Dropbox Criteria for Child Age Less Than 14 years

You should be applying for visa stamp before your 14th birthday along with other criteria mentioned above.
Note: Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of both parent’s passport biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.

DropBox Criteria for Age more than 80 years

Your answer should be ‘YES’ to both questions:

1. I am applying on or after 80th birthday AND
  2. My most recent visa application was not refused.

USA

87 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Ravi
    Ravi 14 Apr, 19 at 8:56 pm

Hi ,
    Thank you for your service maintaining this forum with your prompt responses.
    I have my recent H1B expired on 31st dec 2018. am planning to visit india in ten days , would like to check whether am eligible for drop box facility.My previous visa as through drop box at chennai. Have H1B extension till 2021 with current employer. I have H1B petition denial for another employer recently. My doubt is whether petition denial is considered as visa denial for the check list in Drop box eligibility? Thank you in advance. Ravi

2. Sidharth
    Sidharth 14 Apr, 19 at 2:37 pm

Hi,

Thanks for maintaining this forum.

Based on the eligibility criteria, I’m eligible for Dropbox for H1/H4 renewal. Is there any prior appointment required for dropping off the documents.
    I’m planning to book flight tickets to arrive India on 11th May (Sunday). Can I walk-in to a VFS drop-off location the very next day (Monday morning) without any prior appointments? I plan to be in India for 3 weeks. Should I check for available Dropbox date/time slots before booking my flight tickets? if so, where can I check that info

Appreciate your time and help

Sidharth

Anil Gupta 14 Apr, 19 at 6:25 pm

I think you can drop off anytime if you have already paid for the visa fees.

3. Shiva
    Shiva 12 Apr, 19 at 6:02 am

Hi,
    Hope you are doing good!

I am eligible for the Interview Waiver program and received a Interview Waiver Confirmation Letter on April 12, 2019. I am still in US and traveling to India on June 2nd week 2019, so was wondering is there a due date to submit my documents for this dropbox program once i receive the Interview Waiver Confirmation Letter??

Appreciate your time and help!!
    Thanks much!
    Shiva

Anil Gupta 12 Apr, 19 at 6:54 am

There is no due date as such but it is better to submit as soon as you arrive in India.

• Shiva
        Shiva 12 Apr, 19 at 7:15 am

Will do! Thanks much Anil for the quick response!

4. hemang thakkar
    hemang thakkar 10 Apr, 19 at 8:34 am

I got my H-1B visa stamped in March. Last week, I was laid off. I don’t have i140 yet and my 6 year period ends in December. I am planning to change to H4 as my wife has got her own H-1B with i140 approved. Due to recent biometric requirements for H4 COS, I assume it will add delay to COS process. I am planning to go to India and get my H4 visa stamped. Am I eligible for dropbox? I tried above form and it says I am eligible. I was looking through list of supporting documents needed for H4. It asks for “Photocopy of current I-797”. So, which I797 is it pointing to? My H-1B I 797 or H4 I797(which I dont have as I havent applied for H4).

Anil Gupta 10 Apr, 19 at 8:58 am

For H4 visa stamping, you need primary H1B approved i797.

• hemang thakkar
        hemang thakkar 10 Apr, 19 at 9:09 am

Thanks for the quick reply. So, just for confirmation. Here is the list of supporting documents which I will need.

Prior visa in the same class which is still valid or expired within last 12 months. (applicable for
        H1,H4,L1Individual,L2) That would be my H-1B stamp
        □ □ Photocopy of current I-797 (applicable for H1,H4,L1Individual,L2)(If issued for dependent) nothing as Not Issued
        □ □ Photocopy of previous I-797 (only if the last visa stamped on the passport and current
        petition have a gap of more than one year) (applicable for H1, L1Individual) N/A
        □ □ Principal applicant’s current I-797’s copy (applicable for H4 and L2) Wife’s Approved I797
        □ □ Principal applicant’s previous I-797 only if the last visa stamped on the passport and current
        petition have a gap of more than 1 year. (Applicable only for H4 and L2) Will keep it just in case
        □ □ Principal applicant’s photocopy of current I-129 (Applicable only for L2 Blanket) N/A
        □ □ Principal applicant’s last visa copy (Applicable only for H4 and L2) Wife’s visa stamp
        □ □ All previous I-797s for the applicant. (Applicable only for H4 and L2) (photocopy)(if available) (Does it mean H4 I797s? If so, then N/A)

Am I correct?

How would consulate verify marriage through dropbox? Just something to think about.

5. SharadPOWD
    SharadPOWD 4 Apr, 19 at 8:10 pm

Hello,
    I had my H1B previously stamped at Mumbai consulate thru dropbox. Recently my H1B extension was denied by USCIS, is denial of extension petition by USCIS considered a visa denial as far as dropbox eligibility is concerned? I have heard conflicting answers, some say that a denied extension petition by USCIS is not considered as visa denial, as it is not a consular denial while some say even the extension petition getting denied by USCIS should be counted as visa denial. I am not sure what to answer when the DS160 asks “were you ever denied visa/admission previously”. Same thing goes for my wife, since my H1B extension petition was denied, her H4 extension petition was also rejected. are we both still eligible for dropbox?
    Thanks for your help.

Anil Gupta 4 Apr, 19 at 8:12 pm

H1B petition denial is NOT same as visa denial as it is not a visa extension request.

Visa denial is the one if it is denied by US embassy when you apply for visa stamp in passport.

• SharadPOWD
        SharadPOWD 4 Apr, 19 at 8:49 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. Thank you for everything you do to help everyone in the community!

6. Raj
    Raj 27 Mar, 19 at 10:12 pm

Hi, I had my visa stamping of ex.employer in my passport until sep 2018. But I changed my employer in sep 2017 and I have my new petition from sep 2017 to sep 2020.

If I go for dropbox checklist questions, there is a question called Is your previous visa expired in last 12 months? Yes / No

What I have to choose now? Since my ex. Employer’s visa expired in sep 2018, whether i have to say yes, Or I have to say no because my new employer visa is from sep 2017.
    Raj

Anil Gupta 28 Mar, 19 at 6:34 am

You have to say ‘yes’ as visa expired within last 12 months.

• Raj
        Raj 28 Mar, 19 at 6:26 pm

My employer changed a year ago. The visa stamping which I have it in passport is my old employer. That won’t be a problem right. That’s the only doubt I have.

I answered your question earlier only after reading your full question.
          There is no need to ask the same thing again.

7. Kiruthika Ramanujam
    Kiruthika Ramanujam 23 Mar, 19 at 11:31 pm

Hi, I have a visa(H4) stamped till June 2019. I have travelled to India last months. My husband applied visa extension after I left US and got his visa (H1B) approved. Am I eligible for Dropbox?? Because we will be having only his I797.

PS: the questionnaire says that I’m eligible.

Anil Gupta 24 Mar, 19 at 8:36 am

If it says, you are eligible, then you should be.

8. Purav Shah
    Purav Shah 18 Mar, 19 at 1:36 am

Hi, my F1 visa expired in 2018 (graduated in 2018 even though visa says 2019) and my previous B1/B2 visa was issued before that when I was still not 14 years of age. Do I still need to go for an interview even though I have been ten printed for my F1 and was interviewed for that?

Anil Gupta 18 Mar, 19 at 8:00 am

Your question is not clear at all about what visa you are applying now.
      Also, please use the Dropbox check questionnaire to see if you are eligible for it.

9. bkumar
    bkumar 12 Mar, 19 at 12:41 pm

Hi,
    I filled DS 160 online and was asked to used dropbox. I filled H1 for myself and H4 application for spouse and 14 year old kid. When I went to drop off documents, both mine and wife’s were accepted , but were asked to get interview date for 14year old kid. However since I am the principal applicant, the website keeps directing me to go for dropbox. I am unable to create an independent profile for my kid.Please suggest what to do. Thanks in advance.

Did you create a separate log-in for your kid’s profile?

10. Mousumi
    Mousumi 24 Feb, 19 at 8:51 pm

Hi,

Does a dependent (spouse, H4B) need to be present when the primary applicant (H1B) is submitting the documents at consulate ?

Are both H1B and H4 eligible for dropbox? I think if both are eligible, they both should still be present. You can call usatraveldocs contact and check the exact requirement though.