Australia PR Chance of Invite varies by each ANZSCO code.
Based on the current trend for invites and the economic situations created by COVID-19, expect an invite with al least 90 points in most fields.
Quick 189 & 190 Invites are sent for:
- Healthcare Workers – Like Nurse, Doctors.
- Research profile in Medicine Field
The invites for Software Engineers, Software Testers, and Accounting are hard to come unless you are within 5 points distance to the last invited score.
|EOI Points||Current Australia PR Invitation time|
|85-95 points||1-2 months|
|75-85 points||8-9 months|
|70 points||Invitation chance low but varies by ANZSCO code|
|65 points||No realistic chance of Invitation|
This article will discuss:
Points Calculator (Tips to Increase Score)
This is the points calculator created by TruVisa.com. It helps you with suggestions to improve the total points at each step to increase points.
Try to bring your score within 5 points of the last invited score and your chances of invite in next draw will increase by 50%.
Open App in new Window >
If you can match the highest score, you can get the pre-invite from state easily too.
Australia PR values your skills and your work experience. The points are distributed evenly around your profile ranging from age, education, and your life partner’s skills.
My Personal Experience on How to Increase Points
Australia is a growing economy and prefers younger migrants over older. The good thing is that as you age, you gain work experience points and hence can get extra mileage over young applicants.
- Less than 18 years – Zero points – Eligible to apply as a dependent.
- 18-24 years – 25 points.
- 25-32 years – 30 points.
- 33-39 years – 25 points.
- 40-44 years – 15 points.
- 45+ years – Zero points and not eligible to apply for PR.
Note that you are considered 32 till you are 32 years 11 months and 30 days old.
The Age will change to 33 on your 33rd birthday automatically by SkillSelect system and your points are decreased as per the slab.
You cannot change your age but if your spouse is younger than you, you should create a separate EOI and make your spouse a primary applicant.
#2 English Language
English language test result is mandatory and can contribute a maximum of 20 points to your PR journey.
I recommend taking the PTE test as I could score the 79+ within a week of preparation using free online videos. I did not use any paid online PTE tests. The free ones are good enough to get the top score.
As per my personal experience, PTE is easier to score than IELTS. I have tried IELTS thrice earlier but could not achieve above the 7 overall score as i feel it has a human bias involved.
Most people who I have interacted with have been successfully able to get Superior score as:
- PTE – In the first or second attempt.
- IELTS – It takes at least 3 attempts to get the highest marks.
- Others – My suggestion is to keep away from other tests and not waste time.
It is absolutely important that you aim for a superior score if you want to have a realistic chance of invite from states as they look for good English skills to easily settle down in Australia.
The total points for employment cannot be more than 20 after adding both outside and in Australia work experience.
Your total work experience should be in the same field as your ANZSCO code.
- If you choose 261313 code, your full work experience should be related to the Software Engineer field.
- A Software Tester cannot apply as a Software Engineer or Developer Programmer unless your roles and responsibilities letter mention coding work.
- A Software Project Manager work for a portion of your entire career will not qualify you to get full work experience as a Software Engineer.
|Employment Outside Australia||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
Note that employment days are counted backward starting today. This means that EOI will automatically update your work experience points to every new day if you keep the ‘end date’ for current employment empty.
I strongly suggest to remove the end date of current active employment from your Skill Select profile. Your date of effect will change if total points increase. Do not leave these extra points on the table!
|Employment in Australia||Points|
|Less than 1 year||0|
Your education has the potential of taking you ahead of other PR applicants in the same pool.
- Doctorate or Ph.D. Degree – 20 Points
- Bachelor or Masters Degree – 15 points
- An award or qualification like Certifications– 10 Points
- A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia – 10 Points
Additional points as a cherry on cake over and above your highest education qualification:
- Add +10 points if you got your Master’s degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least 2 academic years in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) or specified information and communication technology (ICT) fields.
- Add +5 points if you have studied at least 1 degree or diploma from all your education physically in Australia.
- Add +5 points if you have completed Professional Year in Accounting, ICT/Computing or Engineering in the last 12 months physically in Australia.
- Add +5 points if you studied in regional Australia. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane are not counted as regional.
- Add +5 points if you passed a NAATI test in a local community language.
#5 Spouse Skills / Single
Open App in new Window >
|Spouse / Single||Points|
|Spouse is Australian Citizen or PR holder||10|
|Spouse has Positive Skill Assessment, Job code is in the same occupation list as primary, competent English and is less than 45 yrs old||10|
|Spouse has no Skill Assessment but competent English||5|
Employer Sponsorship for PR
Employer sponsorship is optional in Australia and is only required by some states for 190 visas.
491 is not a PR and it does need employer sponsorship. You can directly file 189, 190 permanent residency applications.
Some states do require you to have a valid job offer to show for 190 visa nomination but it is not a hard and fast rule there.
- With employer or family sponsorship, you can get the 491 visas to work and live in regional areas but this is not a direct PR.
- You will be eligible for PR later after you are able to fulfill your 491 conditions.
189 and 190 PR visas do not have any points for family or employer sponsorship.
If you have the required points, you will be selected and will get a PR even before you travel to Australia.
US H1B to Australia PR
If you are currently working on H1B in the US and fed up with long waiting for a green card, Australia PR is a good option. They give you Permanent residency (Australian Green Card) even before you land there for the first time!
- You do not get any extra points or preferences just because you have worked in the US.
- Your total US work experience is counted at par with other countries.
Police Clearance Certificate
A police clearance certificate is required from all adults (18+) for Australia permanent residency, who are part of your PR application, from all countries where you have lived in the past 10 years.
If you are an Indian, apply
- Indian Police certificate from Indian Embassy if living outside India.
- PCC from Indian Passport office if residing in India.
If you have lived or are living in the USA, you will need an FBI Clearance certificate along with a US state police clearance certificate. Remember you will need the US FD-258 fingerprint card for the FBI.
If you are currently living in Texas for the last 4 months and moved from California, then you would need both state’s Criminal history records along with the FBI report.
One of our guests shared his experience of getting PCC from Singapore police.
The chance of invite for Australia PR is gradually decreasing for EOI with points less than 85 with new spouse points changes introduced in Nov 2019.
The PR system now prefers a family where both husband and wife work or a single unmarried applicant.
The new system has turned the tide and it is getting difficult to get an invite even with 85 points.
5 Points: You will gain 5 spouse points if your spouse has a competent English score (IELTS 6, 6, 6, 6, or PTE 50 in each).
10 Points: If your spouse has ANZSCO code in the same occupation list as you and has a positive assessment along with a competent English score, you will get 10 points.
10 Points: If you are single and ready to mingle.
10 Points: If you marry an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
0 Points: If your spouse does not fall in any of the above cases.
You will find it difficult to get an invitation if you cannot claim spouse points after November 2019 as married people with working spouse will automatically get 5 extra points as compared to today.
Single applicants will gain the most by jumping ahead in the queue with 10 points immediately and will have a much better chance of inviting them than today.
If your Spouse has functional English today, I recommend to improve the score and try to get at-least to competent level to fetch 5 points.