Your last i94 entry to the US was stamped to match your passport expiry.
Once you renew your passport, you can visit Laredo TX, US Mexico border to get new i94 with validity matching your i797 approval.
This article will discuss:
- Documents for i94 extension Laredo TX, US Mexico Border
- i94 extension Laredo TX Border crossing required or Not at Bridge 1?
- Laredo TX border Car Parking
- Fee – $6 – Cash or Online
- Interview Questions
Documents for i94 extension Laredo TX, US Mexico Border
- Original Approved i797. Example: If you are on an H4 or H1B visa, your OWN approved the i797 original document.
- Your Old (expired) and New passport.
Example: the passport with your US visa stamp should also be carried in the original.
- Your US address proof
Could be any utility bill, your driving license, state ID, EAD card, Lease agreement.
i94 extension Laredo TX Border crossing required or Not at Bridge 1?
First and most important, you may be asked to cross the border. It’s a 50-50 chance and is dependent on the CBP officer. Be prepared.
Both options are okay and can be done at Laredo, TX border easily.
In this example case, the officer asked to cross the border using Bridge 1 (Pedestrian Bridge over River Rio).
Bridge 2 is for cars coming into the US from Mexico. You can use it too but I would not recommend.
STEP 1: Go to the CBP office. Try your luck with the immigration officer by asking for correction of i94 based on a renewed passport.
If the officer fixes your i94 to match your i797 date with a new passport, you are lucky and you are done.
STEP 2. If you are asked to cross the border and re-enter the US, then use Bridge 1 (Called Gateway to America) to walk. Details are given below with pictures.
Laredo TX border Car Parking
#1 Valero gas station
Valero gas station is right across the street from CBP office and is the closest car parking.
Exact address for Valero Gas Station is:
619 Farragut Street, Laredo, TX
Park car, walk inside the store, buy a parking tag, and then hang on your windshield.
- Parking cost: $5 per hour.
- We suggest to buy it for 1 hour. If you take more time, you can pay later for extra time. They do not tow your car 🙂 Don’t worry.
Cross the street and you see yourself walking in the CBP office lot. The total walk time is just 2 minutes.
#2 Paid parking at Pedestrian Bridge 1 – Laredo Outlets Mall
Mall Address: 1600 Water St, Laredo, TX 78040
The mall used to have free parking earlier but now, there is no free option as reported by some users recently.
Parking cost is $2 per hour with maximum $16.
Walking from CBP office to Laredo Bridge 1
Bridge 1 is about 10 blocks walk from the Gas station (or CBP office) walking on Hindalgo St.
If you are first trying your luck at the CBP office for the i94 extension, you can choose to park free either at the mall or Valero gas station (paid).
Walking from the CBP office to Bridge 1 is not recommend with kids. It’s a long walk. Better drive and park at free mall parking. The market that you walk through on Hindalgo street looks deserted too.
Nobody on the street speaks English. You may use Google translate app to talk to a local person if you need help translating Spanish for directions to bridge 1.
- Bridge 1 is connected to the mall. Once you are in the mall, just follow the signs to Mexico. The signboard would read “Welcome to the Gateway of the Americas“.
- You will just see normal stairs and a kiosk to pay for the bridge crossing fee. You can either use quarters or cash to get the coins, they also have a change-maker kiosk. The fee to enter the bridge is USD $1.
- Once you have paid the fee, you will simply walk down the stairs and see a signboard pointing to ‘Mexico’. See red circle (shown in image).
- Follow the sign and you will find yourself on Bridge 1.
Cross Laredo Bridge 1 mid-way to enter US i94 line
Crossing the bridge midway is also known as ‘Jumping the line mid-way‘.
There is no separate signal button/light to allow for crossing the street safely as you see on US streets generally. Just look for cars and then cross when you feel it is safe.
It is allowed to cross like this as I confirmed from the US police officers posted on the other side of the street, before crossing.
After this point, you should enter the ‘General Queue‘. Do not enter the ‘SENTRI‘ line since you do not have a SENTRI card.
- The queue is smaller on weekdays (Mon – Friday) and you can get through the process within 15 minutes.
- It takes a lot longer on weekends. I have heard timing from 2-3 hours as the line is longer.
Once you reach the immigration officer, you will be questioned the same as you would have seen at PoE (Port of entry).
You have to pay $6 in cash per person here if you have not paid already online to get renewed i94.
Laredo, TX Port of Entry Address
The exact address for CBP office is
300 San Dario Avenue, Laredo, TX
If you are taking Uber or Lyft, you can set the Gas station address as your destination as this CBP office address might not come up in a Google address search.
Fee – $6 – Cash or Online
#1 CASH payment
Look for the PERMITS sign on the building entrance or door.
Once you are in, you can make the payment and wait for your name to be called.
The waiting lines may be long at CASH payment counter.
#2 ONLINE payment
So, it is advisable that you make the payment online at the CBP website with the ‘Land’ border’ entrance option.
- This payment is valid for 7 days meaning that you can pay online and visit the border for i94 days anytime during those 7 days.
- There are no refunds if you miss the 7-day deadline.
- A payment receipt printout is required.
The immigration interview would be the same as you would have faced (by immigration officer) while entering the US at any port of entry (PoE) by Air or sea.
They consider it the same as your re-entry to the US.
i94 Extension Approval
Once the officer is satisfied, he will take your fingerprints and a picture. This is exactly the same as what happens at any other port of entry.
You are given a paper I-94 i.e. your new updated i94 is printed on paper and given to you.
Keep paper i94 safely as you would be asked to show it while you are traveling back from Laredo, TX back into the US at a vehicle inspection site on I35 North (interstate i-35N) around 25 miles from Laredo, TX.
Here, all vehicles are stopped and your immigration papers are checked.
Your passport is stamped with new dates as applicable per your approved I797 validity.
You can visit the US Mexico border at Laredo in Texas to get new i94 after passport renewal.
The i94 correction / extensions are done 24 hours and 365 days of the year.
i94 is updated online on CBP immediately.
The waiting time can be 15 min to 1 hour.
So be prepared.
Yes, the new i94 is attached to the old and expired passport number. There is no need to worry as it is a normal process.
You can download your new i94 from CBP i94 website using the old passport number.
No appointment is required for visiting the CBP office at the Laredo border.
Neither do they have any option of appointments. It’s a walk-in facility.
Your travel history is updated with both the “Most Recent Entry” date and “Admit Until” modified.