Australia PR Points Calculator 2019- 189, 190 Visa Immigration Test

Australia PR points calculator online 2019. Skilled migration 189, 190, 489 visa need minimum 65 skill select points to apply. English test score required.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  24 Nov, 19

Australia PR Chance of Invite

EOI PointsCurrent Australia PR Invitation time
80, 85 points1-2 months
75 points8-9 months
70 pointsInvitation chance low but varies by ANZSCO code
65 pointsNo realistic chance of Invitation

It is easier to get Australian PR with 80 points based on latest draw. With Masters degree, good English score and work experience in Australia’s skills list, you can get Australia’s residency within a year.

Minimum points to apply for Australia PR SkillSelect 189 (points based) or 190 (State Sponsored Visa) is 65 in 2019-2020.

Australia Permanent Residency Immigration Points table given above shows the points for majority of ANZSCO codes. The chance of invitation varies by each job code and its points.

Australia SkillSelect Points Calculator 2019

Open link in new window.

#1 Age Max Points – 30

AgePoints
18-24 years25
25-32 years30
33-39 years25
40-44 years15

Age is counted as 32 till you are 32 years 11 months and 30 days old. The Age changes to 33 on your 33rd birthday.

#2 English Language Max Points – 20

S = Speaking, L = Listening, R = Reading, W = Writing
EnglishCompetentProficientSuperior
IELTS678
PTE506579
OETCBA
Toefl iBTL-12, R-13, W-21, S-18L-24, R-24, W-27, S-23L-28, R-29, W-30, S-26
CAE169185200
Points01020

The score has to be in all i.e. Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing separately unless otherwise mentioned as in case of Toefl exam.
PTE is easier to score than IELTS. My notes and tips to score 79+ PTE Academic in a week.

#3 Employment Outside Australia Max Points – 15

1-2 years5
3-4 years10
5-7 years15
8-10 years20

#5 Education Max Points – 20

QualificationsPoints
A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).20
A Bachelor (or Masters) degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor (or Masters) qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).15
A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia10
An award or qualification recognized by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.10

Education and Employment has to be verified by Assessment company to claim points. How to file ACS Assessment.

#6 Studied in Australia Max Points – 5

Australian study requirementPoints
At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement5

#7 Niche skills Education Max Points – 5

Specialist education qualificationPoints
A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least two academic years in a relevant field.5

#8 Spouse Skills Points Max Points – 5

To get Spouse skills 5 points added to your SkillSelect Expression of Interest, all of these conditions should be met for our SPOUSE:

1. Age should be less than 45 years.
  2. English Test Score should be at-least the ‘Competent‘ – basic score.
  3. Job Occupation code should be in the same occupation list as primary applicant list.
    Use the calculator given above to calculate spouse skills points.

Spouse points in New Point system starting November 16, 2019

Points
Single (Un-married)10
Spouse is Australian Citizen or PR holder10
Spouse has Positive Skill Assessment and competent English10
Spouse has no Skill Assessment but competent English5
Other Cases0
This will make significant difference to existing EOIs who will gain spouse points in November.

#9 Other Points Max Points – 15

OtherPoints
Accredited in community language (E.g. NAATI test)5
Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement5
Professional year in Australia (E.g. Professional training like ACS PYear program)5
State Nomination (190 visa)5

Employer Sponsorship for Permanent Residence

Employer sponsorship is optional in Australia and you can directly file for permanent residency unlike US, where you need an employer to file for your green card.

If you have the required points, you will be selected and will get a PR even before you travel to Australia.
Applicants with 65+ points get the invitation to apply pretty fast. Once you have applied, you can expect to get the PR within 5-8 months.

189 and 190 PR visa do not have any points for family or employer sponsorship. 489 visa has option of sponsorship but it is not a direct PR.

Australia PR for US based H1B

If you are currently working on H1B in US and fed up with long waiting for green card, Australia PR is a good option. They give you Permanent residency (Australian Green Card) even before you land there for the first time!

You do not get any extra points pr preference just because you have worked in US. The experience is counted at par with other countries.

Please note that even if you move to Australia for work, your Green card application in US can stay active. Remember that Green card in US is filed for future job and your i-140 remains active.

You can return to US in future if your priority date becomes current and the employer is ready to hire you.

Police Clearance Certificate for Australia Permanent Residency

Police verification is required for all adults (18+), who are part of your PR application, from all countries where they have lived in past 10 years.

If you are an Indian, you can apply Indian Police certificate from Indian Embassy if living outside India. You will get PCC from Indian Passport office if residing in India.

If you have lived or are living in USA, you will need  FBI Clearance certificate along with US state police clearance certificate. Remember you will need the US FD-258 fingerprint card for FBI.

Example: If you are currently living in Texas for last 4 months and moved from California, then you would need both state’s Criminal history record along with FBI report.

One of our guest shared his experience of getting PCC from Singapore police.

FAQs

Will Spouse Points Change in Nov 2019 Affect Existing EOI?

Yes, all existing Australia PR EOIs for 189, 190 and 491 visa will be affected and points will be automatically adjusted on Nov 16, 2019.

Will I gain spouse points in Nov 2019?

5 Points: You will gain 5 spouse points if your spouse has competent English score (IELTS 6, 6, 6, 6 or PTE 50 in each).

10 Points: If your spouse has ANZSCO code in same occupation list as you and has positive assessment along with competent English score, you will get 10 points.

10 Points: If you are single and ready to mingle.

10 Points: If you marry an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

0 Points: If your spouse does not fall in any of above cases.

Chance of Invitation After Nov 2019 Changes

You will find it difficult to get an invitation if you cannot claim spouse points after November 2019 as married people with working spouse will automatically get 5 extra points as compared to today.

Single applicants will gain the most by jumping ahead in queue with 10 points immediately and will have much better chance of invite than today.

If your Spouse has functional English today, I recommend to to improve the score and try to get at-least to competent level to fetch 5 points.

Australia

Hi @Suraj

I do not know what EnTC means.

I cannot say if your work experience matches your education simply on the bases of degree names.

Hi @Suraj
    The work experience and education should match to get positive assessment. The match is done based on the subjects you studied.

You should first get the assessment and then we can suggest anything.

Hi @Arif_Ahmed

I suggest to increase points if you can using English language.

4. Ranjith_Krishnan
    Ranjith_Krishnan

HI Anil,

I have got a peculiar situation. Can you please guide me here,.

I have filed my application for 190 on April 22nd and waiting for CO contact/PR grant, but, i am moving out from current organization in UK and taking up an opportunity in UAE. As per UK employment laws there are no experience certificate or relieving letter, so what should i do, will that be an issue while considering my experience.

And should i notify the government on my new movement, or they consider the documents only up to the point when i filed the visa.

Ranjith

The EOI will be automatically updated.

If you want the spouse English points, you may have to update your EOI manually.

I am expecting that online Skillselect system will be modified to allow it.

1. Ramya Ramesh
    Ramya Ramesh 28 Feb, 19 at 3:56 am

Can I apply for Australian PR(189) if I already have a valid Australian TSS dependent VISA?

My Husband is in Australia on a Short term TSS(2 years) and I have applied for a dependent visa already. I would like to know if i am still eligible to apply for a PR ?

You can apply for 189 or 190 PR visa if you are eligible.

2. Ajay Kotagal
    Ajay Kotagal 27 Feb, 19 at 12:09 pm

My Wife has filed for her EOI on 02/20/2019. Her Job code is 261312: Developer Programmer.

PR Score:
    189: 70 ( including spouse 5 points)
    190: 75 ( State Sponsorship of 5 points)

When can we expect the invitation?

You can expect invite by October 2019 for 261312: Developer Programmer with 70 points with your Date of effect as 20 Feb, 2019.

• Ajay Kotagal
        Ajay Kotagal 27 Feb, 19 at 3:45 pm

Thanks much, Anil. Really appreciate your selfless service !!

• Reema
          Reema 28 Feb, 19 at 1:20 am

Hello Friend,

I wanted to when you submit the EOI where do you see the Date of effect in your profile .When i have submitted my EOI i can see status as just “In progress”.I have not received any mail confirmation that my EOI is submitted or any kind of acknowledgment.
          How will i come to know that there is no issue in the EOI that i have filed.

Regards,
          Reema.

• Ajay Kotagal
            Ajay Kotagal 1 Mar, 19 at 5:39 am

Hi Reema,

Sorry for the delay. I checked with my wife yesterday and she mentioned that the EOI was submitted on 02/20 and she submitted date was displayed at the same time.

• Roshan Siraj
        Roshan Siraj 27 Feb, 19 at 10:03 pm

Dear Anil Gupta
        Great seeing you giving sound advice to many with the ambition to migrate. Would you be able to advise on the possibilities for me to get Australian PR 189?
        I could share more information and assess my chances with your expert advise before lodging the EOI.
        Thanks in advance.
        Roshan

Please try to ask your to-the-point exact question in your very first comment itself.
          It saves time for both you and me.

• Roshan Siraj
            Roshan Siraj 27 Feb, 19 at 11:38 pm

Dear Anil

I attained my BA Hons Degree in Business & Community Enterprise in Internet Technology from the University of Liverpool (United Kingdom), Professional Diploma in Marketing from the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) from Liverpool Hope University.
            Working as Business Development Manager since early 2010 till date at my current employment.

Points scored as follows:
            Age – 25
            IELTS – 10 (have not done the test yet, tempted to put superior so i could get 20 points to push the overall to 75 points increasing my chances)
            Education outside Australia – 15
            Employment outside Australia – 15 (8-10 years)

Based on above it could be 65 or 75, ultimately boils down to how much I score on my IELTS.

ANZSCO 224711 or 225212 or 131112 , I have stated 3 codes since I was advise going for business consultant i would be better off. Although in business development you do sales and marketing, consulting and analysis.
            My questions are ;
            1. Should I lodge an EOI based on superior English (8 or above) and if I don’t meet the superior English standard could go back and change the details to match my results to proficient English.
            2. What would be the best ANZSCO to choose to increase my chance of obtaining the 189.
            3. Should I show funds / bank statement ? If so, any limit on the funds?
            4. Should I apply for a 190 ? Could my first cousin or spouse’s first cousin could be a sponsor?
            5. For each of the above code the assessment body will be different. Management consultant should be under vetassess and other two under AIM. Please advise.

Appreciate you valued feedback.
            Roshan

You can change your EOI as many times as you want but remember that you need to specify the points that you have got in each English language section. If you get invite, you will have to prove those points without changing. If you can’t prove as you just filed EOI with random values, you will waste your invite, time and money.

The best ANZSCO code can only be chosen by you based on what your employer writes in your work experience letters.

Showing Bank statement is optional. There is no fund requirement for skill based 189 and 190 PR.

There are no points for family sponsorship in 189 or 190 PR visa. Points are only given for your skills.

Please chose one ANZSCo code that best matches your work and not just the name of job and then get it assessed by the relevant assessment agency.

• Roshan Siraj
                Roshan Siraj 28 Feb, 19 at 10:59 am

Dear Anil

Thank you for the reply. I wanted your advise on the job title since the agent I spoke to mentioned it’s best I get a business consultant letter instead of sales and marketing or business development.
                What’s your take on this?

If I put a lower score on my ielts e.g. 7 and can get 8 on actual test will that affect me adversely?

Then best would be for me to do the test before submitting eoi?

I wanted to hasten the process by doing things which takes longest first. According the the agent to get PR could be a year.
                Tried searching for a clear step by step guide however couldn’t find one detailed with timelines.

Would you be able to share information on the process to go about lodging in more detail?

Correct me if I heard wrong.

Your EOI’s date of effect will change if your either put lower number or higher number for your IELTS without actual scores.

Once you update your EOI, your EOI’s queue position changes as per your new Date of effect.

So, unless you have concrete details, there is no use of filing EOI as you can’t really lock your position as may be suggested by the agent who really wants your money.

Rest is your choice.

3. Krishna Karur
    Krishna Karur 27 Feb, 19 at 12:09 pm

Hi Anil , My current points are age:25,education: 15,wrk exp : 15 and pte: 10 total 65.
    PTE : over all -77 (L:76/R:75/S:89,W:78)_First attempt. Should i start visa process for 190 visa for which i get 5 points state sponsor ship which takes it to 70 pts or should i clear pte with 79 in each module and apply for 189/190 visa.
    Developer Programmer – ANZSCO 261312 is my code for visa. pls suggest

State points cannot be counted until state specifically invites you.

There is no chance of invite in Developer Programmer – ANZSCO 261312 with 65 points at this time. You should try to increase your points to either 70 or 75 to have better chance of invite.

You can try PTE with my tips to get highest marks within a week.

• Krishna Karur
        Krishna Karur 27 Feb, 19 at 12:26 pm

Ok thanks Anil!

4. Rajeswari Raguraman
    Rajeswari Raguraman 27 Feb, 19 at 2:43 am

Hey I am wondering whether to apply for a 189 or 190. I want to apply EOI for the occupation of biomedical engineer. My points description as below:
    Age – 30 points
    Degree – 20 (I have a PhD)
    English – 20
    Total 70 points as on date. Shall I apply for state sponsorship for VIC. I had my degree from there. Would that help in getting an invite earlier? Kindly advise

You can file your EOI for both 189 and 190 and then take a decision based on who sends you invite first.
      If you have studied from Australia, you can get extra points.

5. Peter
    Peter 27 Feb, 19 at 3:32 am

Hello
    I have reached to a level of 65 points.
    I am applying for Structural Engineer 233214
    How high are my chances in receiving an invitation? (I don’t mind waiting)

At this time invites are being sent with 70 points in 189 visa category.
      You might receive invite from state with 65 points.

6. Nayana Madhu
    Nayana Madhu 27 Feb, 19 at 3:00 am

I have recently updated my score to a total of 80 after English test.
    Can you please let me know the expected timeline for an invite under Software engineer category. Next month end I will be having age updated to 33 and losing 5 points. For 75 points can you please share the expected time for invite.

Also please let me know the schedule/ frequency of the EOI invite draw held.

At this time, the software engineer with 75 points (189) are getting invite within 2-3 months of filing EOI.

Are you sure you have 80 points without adding state nomination points?

7. vandan
    vandan 26 Feb, 19 at 10:52 am

Hi Anil ,

Just got my skill assessment done from ACS . According to the report all my employment after Feb 2011 is relevant which comes to around 7 years 10 months till Jan 2019 .

So if I create a profile now ,will the experience get updated to 8 yrs on Mar 2019 automatically and will I get the extra 5 points?.

Also with that ill have a score of 70 in software Engineer field. Is it sufficient to get invite or should I redo IELTS or PTE?.

Leave your current job’s END date blank in EOI and your work experience will automatically add extra points as and when you reach next level i.e. 8 years.

There is a wait of about 7 months for software Engineer with 70 points.

• Vandan
        Vandan 26 Feb, 19 at 11:32 am

Thanks Anil.

One more follow up question- ACS states “After Feb 2011” what date can I select as Start date ?.

I submitted my ACS profile on 19th Feb 2019 .

Also Can I edit my IELTS/PTE score after EOI to gain extra points?.

P.S- Bachelors in IT was considered as ACS major .

Regards
        Vandan

You can choose the start date as 19 Feb 2011.
          You can update your EOI anytime to make changes including updating your IELTS/PTE score.

Note that your EOI’s date of effect will change one you make changes and submit EOI.

8. Osop
    Osop 26 Feb, 19 at 10:38 am

Hi, I would love to know under which category i may qualify with the following facts:
    Age 36
    IELTS L 8, S 8, R 8, W 6.5
    IELTS L 7.5, S 7, R 8, W 7.5
    Work Experience 9 years ( Sales Rep 1 year, Loan Officer 5 years, Branch Manager 3 Years all in a micro finance bank)
    Education Msc

The first step is to choose your Job code matching your work experience and education.
      Once you know the job code, I can suggest the next steps.

9. Abdul
    Abdul 26 Feb, 19 at 2:45 am

I have started working as business analyst (24hrs weekly) on

15th Jan 2018, went back to overseas on

13th Sep 2018 and came back on (took 18 weeks off)

26th Jan 2019 started working back with the same company and same profile.

When I will be able to claim Australian experience 5 points for migration?

Your question is not clear. Your total Australian experience should be added excluding the gaps.

• Abdul
        Abdul 26 Feb, 19 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for your Reply Anil

Did 8 months with a company left for leave unfortunately for 4 months

got back to same company continuing with same profile

doing more three months will it be ok for ACS assessment

As I have heard of if there is a long gap you can count as experience combining 1year

like (8 Months+ (4 months Gap) + 4 months)= 1 year

Thanks for your effort answering my query.

Only count the months that you have worked. That’s it.

10. Sreelekshmi G
    Sreelekshmi G 25 Feb, 19 at 11:52 pm

Could you please share your thought on me my husband’s EOI waiting period, we have submiited EOI on 25th Feb, Husband as main applicant with 75 points for 261112 ICT System Analyst

You can expect invite for 261112 ICT System Analyst with 75 points in about 2-3 months.