Australia PR Points Calculator 2019 – Immigration Point Test

By Anil Gupta - Updated on  25 Apr, 19

Australia Permanent Residency Immigration Points Table 2019

EOI PointsCurrent Australia PR Processing time
75-80 pointsInvitation within 1-2 months
70 pointsInvitation within 7-8 months for pro-rata, 3-4 months for non-pro-rata
65 pointsInvitation is currently taking more than year – not guaranteed

It is easier to get Australian PR with 70 points based on latest draw. With Masters degree, good English score and work experience in Australia’s skills list, you can get Australia’s residency within a year.

Minimum points to apply for Australia PR SkillSelect 189 (points based) or 190 (State Sponsored Visa) is 65 in 2018-2019.

Australia SkillSelect Points Calculator 2019

Open Australia Points calculator in new window.

Related: Australia 189 / 190 visa Invitation Documents and Steps

1. Age Max Points – 30

AgePoints
18-24 years25
25-32 years30
33-39 years25
40-44 years15

Apply as early as possible before you age out! Nobody needs old work force.

2. English Language Max Points – 20

S = Speaking, L = Listening, R = Reading, W = Writing
EnglishCompetentProficientSuperior
IELTS678
PTE506579
OETCBA
Toefl iBTL-12, R-13, W-21, S-18L-24, R-24, W-27, S-23L-28, R-29, W-30, S-26
CAE169185200
Points01020

The score has to be in all i.e. Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing separately unless otherwise mentioned as in case of Toefl exam.
PTE is easier to score than IELTS. My notes and tips to score 79+ PTE Academic in a week.

3. Employment Outside Australia Max Points – 15

1-2 years5
3-4 years10
5-7 years15
8-10 years20

5. Education Max Points – 20

QualificationsPoints
A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).20
A Bachelor (or Masters) degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor (or Masters) qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).15
A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia10
An award or qualification recognized by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.10

Education and Employment has to be verified by Assessment company to claim points. How to file ACS Assessment.

6. Studied in Australia Max Points – 5

Australian study requirementPoints
At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement5

7. Niche skills Education Max Points – 5

Specialist education qualificationPoints
A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least two academic years in a relevant field.5

8. Spouse Skills Points Max Points – 5

To get Spouse skills 5 points added to your SkillSelect Expression of Interest, all of these conditions should be met for our SPOUSE:

1. Age should be less than 45 years.
  2. English Test Score should be at-least the ‘Competent‘ – basic score.
  3. Job Occupation code should be in the same occupation list as primary applicant list.
    Use the calculator given above to calculate spouse skills points.

9. Other Points Max Points – 15

OtherPoints
Accredited in community language (E.g. NAATI test)5
Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement5
Professional year in Australia5
State Sponsorship (190 visa)5

Australia PR point calculator-skilled permanent residency Australia PR point calculator-skilled permanent residency

Employer sponsorship for Permanent Residence

Employer sponsorship is optional in Australia and you can directly file for permanent residency unlike US, where you need an employer to file for your green card.

If you have the required points, you will be selected and will get a PR even before you travel to Australia.
Applicants with 65+ points get the invitation to apply pretty fast. Once you have applied, you can expect to get the PR within 5-8 months.

H1B worker in US move to Australia

If you are currently working on H1B in US and fed up with long waiting for green card, Australia is a good option. They give you Permanent residency (Australian Green Card) even before you land there for the first time!

Please note that even if you move to Australia for work, your Green card application in US can stay active.
Remember that Green card in US is filed for future job and your i-140 remains active.
You can return to US in future if your priority date becomes current and the employer is ready to hire you.

Police Clearance Certificate for Australia Permanent Residency

Police verification is required for all adults (18+), who are part of your PR application, from all countries where they have lived in past 10 years.

1. How to get Indian Police certificate from Indian Embassy.
  2. How to get USA FBI Clearance certificate even if you are outside USA.

Australia

661 Questions & Answers

1. Arjun
    Arjun 28 Mar, 19 at 11:32 am

Hello Sir,

I have 70 points for 261313. With 5+ for state sponsorship It would be 75, when can i expect invite?

I saw your table which says 1-2 months for invite but not sure if that includes state sponsorship.

Thanks in advance

• Arjun
      Arjun 28 Mar, 19 at 11:43 am

Read your below comments and blog. You don need to repeat answer.

Your blog and answers are helpful.

Great. I must say that you are the first person who has read the earlier comments and have himself said that you got the answer by reading those.

I am glad that earlier answers helped and you have taken the pain to go through them.

You saved my time. I sincerely thank you for being a good reader.

2. mathew
    mathew 28 Mar, 19 at 12:54 am

I have 70 points code 233211 (civil engineer) for PR application under visa 190 (65+5 (state nomination)). I would like to know which state should I apply for visa 190 for quick invitation ?
    Age – 25 points
    Education- 15 points
    experience – 15 points
    PTE – 10 points
    visa 190 – 5 points

Total 70 points.

Anil Gupta 28 Mar, 19 at 6:33 am

You can apply in NSW and Victoria but there is no guarantee for an invite with 65 points.

• mathew
        mathew 28 Mar, 19 at 6:55 am

Chances are less for both with 70 points of 190visa and 65 points of 189 visa, you mean this?

Anil Gupta 28 Mar, 19 at 7:18 am

Yes, chances are low both 189 and 190.

3. Kavitha Ramalingam
    Kavitha Ramalingam 27 Mar, 19 at 10:06 pm

Am currently with 75 points Code 261313 (Software Engineer)for PR application under 190 (NSW) visa-Just want to confirm with you, if i apply EOI this week, when i can expect the Invitation?
    Also is that required to do a NAATI CCL for extra 5 points to jump the queue for EOI?

Regards,
    Kavitha

Anil Gupta 28 Mar, 19 at 6:33 am

Does your 75 point include state’s 5 points too?
      If yes, then your actual points are 70 and chances are low for invite.

You should try to increase your points to 75 to have realistic chance of invite.

It is your choice if you want to do NAATI or not.

4. Naim Iftekhar
    Naim Iftekhar 27 Mar, 19 at 7:32 pm

Hi,
    I have 70 points (age- 30, education – 15, pte- 20, NAATI – 5)
    My ANZSCO code is 263311 (Telecommunication Engineer) under non pro rata.
    I have applied for the EOI on March 16, 2019.
    Is there any chance of getting an invite by July 2019?

Also, will it be better to try and increase points or try for regional visa?

You may get invite by July with 70 points for 263311 but not guaranteed.

It is better to reach 75 points if you can.

• Naim Iftekhar
        Naim Iftekhar 30 Mar, 19 at 12:00 am

Thanks a lot for your information

5. Sheraz Babar
    Sheraz Babar 26 Mar, 19 at 1:28 pm

Hi,
    Please check my points below and advise if I can get invite for 190 with 65 points or atleast any possibility for 489 invite.
    Code:263111 (through RPL) Done.
    15 points for Educationhhhhhh
    15. Points for Exp
    25 for age (33 years old)
    10 points for IELTS
    65 total points.

No chance of invite with 65 points for 263111. You should try to increase your points to at-least 75.

• Sheraz Babar
        Sheraz Babar 26 Mar, 19 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Anil for your prompt reply.
        I understand its not possible to get invite with 65 points for 189.
        Its impossible for me to increase points. It was hard for me to achieve 7 each in ielts. ☹️
        Any possibility in 190 or 489 with 70/75 points?

No chances in either 190 or 489 with 65 points.
          My suggestion is to try PTE instead of IELTS and you may get 75.

6. Sonu
    Sonu 26 Mar, 19 at 12:29 am

Hi Anil, my husband lodged eoi on August 25 th of 2018 with 70/75 points for 189/190(NSW) under 261312( developer programmer), Still we haven’t here’d any invitation from doha , when can we expect invitation.

Tqu

Anil Gupta 26 Mar, 19 at 8:10 am

You may get an invite by June 2019 if the queue moves fast with 70 points for 261312 – developer programmer.
      I suggest to increase your points to 75 as starting July 2019, the number of invites will be reduce drastically.

• Jakub
        Jakub 27 Mar, 19 at 1:41 am

Do you think that from July 2019, it will be still possible to get an invite with 75 points for a developer programmer though? Currently, you need 75 points, who knows after the July 2019 with all these new changes…

Anil Gupta 27 Mar, 19 at 9:55 am

Please read the linked analysis that I have shared for invites starting July 2019 in my earlier answer.

• Jakub
            Jakub 27 Mar, 19 at 1:43 pm

I read the analysis. Thank you for that btw. I thought that 75 is the minimum already, before the cut.
            I’d assume that from July 2019, 75 points is going to be the minimum, so in order to get the invitation at least 80 points would be needed, don’t you think? (2613 – Software and Applications Programmers)

That’s not correct.

• Jakub
              Jakub 27 Mar, 19 at 11:13 pm

As you indicated in the analysis number of places is going to be reduced by 42%. If the number of people applying is going to be the same as it is at the moment, there will just not be enough places for people with 75 points. Don’t you think that in this case, only people with 80+ points will have any chance of getting invited for this occupation? I’d assume that everyone will try to get at least 80 points due to limited spots which will make it almost a minimum in the end. What are your reflection on that?

Anil Gupta 28 Mar, 19 at 7:10 am

It is not easy to get 80 in 2613 category as 2-4 years of work experience is deducted by ACS.

• Jakub Suplicki
              Jakub Suplicki 28 Mar, 19 at 2:47 pm

Are you talking about 2-4 years of work experience outside of Australia (3years – 5 points )?

It is possible however to work 1 year in Australia and still get 5 points, correct ? You could then do the professional year course (another 5 points). With good English and at least bachelor from Australia it would sum up to 80 points I reckon.

Am I missing something ?

You are correct but how many people study and work in Australia out of the total that file for Australia PR?

May be just 10%? That is my guess.

• Jakub
              Jakub 28 Mar, 19 at 8:38 pm

Makes sense, if you put it this way. Do you think there is some kind of preference when it comes to the choice? Scenario: person from Australia with 75 points vs person from outside of Australia with 75 points.
              I appreciate your valuable insides and opinion by the way.

Anil Gupta 29 Mar, 19 at 8:41 am

There are extra points for people who have studied or worked in Australia. That’s the clear and open preference.

• Jakub
              Jakub 29 Mar, 19 at 6:16 pm

That is the case for both visas – 189 and 190? It would seem that these approximate 10% of people who studied and worked in Australia would be chosen first (same number of points – 75), right?

People with same number of points have equal chance of selection.

7. anoop
    anoop 25 Mar, 19 at 9:26 am

i have 70 point now ( I turned 32 years today) Mechanical Eng by profession trying for Australia. What is the chance of getting EOI. Can i retain the

70 point if i opt for territory base.

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 10:25 am

I do not understand what you mean by “Territory base”.

• anoop
        anoop 25 Mar, 19 at 11:11 am

STATE NOMINATION (190)

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 11:42 am

It is difficult to suggest anything without the ANZSCO code and the points break-up. Sorry.

You should ask question with complete details in first attempt to save both my and your time.
          I cannot keep asking follow up questions.

• anoop
            anoop 25 Mar, 19 at 12:56 pm

Sorry for taking your time, My ANZSCO Code is : 233512. EOI date is 27th of August, 2018.

at present I have 70 points (excluding state nomination) and I turned 33 years today. What are the possibility of getting EOI for 189 and 190. Your reply will be highly appreciated and sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks and Regards

The chances are low for 189 invite at this time as people with 75 points are getting invited for 233512.
              Also, you job Mechanical Engineer is under pro-rata which means that there are more applications than available invites.

I suggest to increase your points to 75 without state points.

• anoop
              anoop 26 Mar, 19 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for your information

8. Anish James
    Anish James 25 Mar, 19 at 3:13 am

I would like to claim 15 points for experience I have 12 years of relevant work experience
    I have a successful skill assessment from Vetassess .

My job code 334111
    I heard the DOHA will deduct first 3 years from my experience because I don’t have a relevant qualification .

Will they deduct from my 12 years or the last 10 years of experience

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 8:32 am

DOHA will count your number of years of work experience as per VETASSESS report.

• Anish James
        Anish James 25 Mar, 19 at 8:47 am

My skill assessment authority in occupation list is TRA ( trade recognition australia ) . They rejected my initial application because of non relevant qualification. Then I contacted vetassess and done skill assessment with them , got positive result . The result includes competency report and certificate 3 in plumbing (OTSR)

In vetassess result they didn’t mention about how many points I can claim for work experience.
        Will DOHA advice me to do a migration point advice assessment from TRA ?

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 10:25 am

The assessment agency should be chosen as mentioned by DOHA and not by your choice.

• Anish James
            Anish James 25 Mar, 19 at 12:55 pm

The permission had been granted by TRA to conduct skills assessment with Vetassess. Without the permission of TRA I can’t do it because I am from India.
            Vetassess conduct skill assessment for anzsco code 334111 for the following countries
            South Africa
            United Kingdom
            Ireland
            Australia

In TRA guidelines they state that skill assessment can be done through TRA approved authorities. Vetassess is a TRA approved agency

What is the confusion then if the report is valid?

Assessment reports never specify your points. You need to add the ‘relevant’ education and work experience as marked by assessment agency in your EOI and then EOI will calculate points automatically.

• Anish James
              Anish James 25 Mar, 19 at 9:45 pm

Thank you Anil.
              I am waiting for my IELTS result if I get 7 bands in each I will lodge EOI for 190 . The doubt is if I over claim points my application would be rejected. My points as per my calculation is :

Age – 25 ( 37 years )
              Qualification – 10 (OTSR -an award or qualification recognised by assessing authority )
              Work experience – 15 ( 12 years overseas – if DOHA deduct 3 years from my total experience I will get 9 years)
              English – 10 ( band 7 – waiting for result )
              State sponsorship – 5 ( 190 visa)

Total – 65 points

Anzsco code – 334111
              Occupation – Plumber ( general )

9. JOHNY XAVIER
    JOHNY XAVIER 25 Mar, 19 at 1:27 am

My age is 31 and will complete 32 by September. I got invitation but visa is not yet approved. If my visa not approved before September whether I loss 5 points for Age?

Anil Gupta 25 Mar, 19 at 8:32 am

You are fine. You will not lose points now. Don’t worry.

10. Pub
    Pub 24 Mar, 19 at 5:28 pm

Hi Anil

I have 80 points for accounting. I lodged EOI in December but still haven’t got invitation. My problem is I have job experience as a accountant for 1 yr in consultancy will that experience countable?

Haven’t you got your work experience assessed by assessment agency?
      They must have evaluated it as ‘relevant’ or ‘non-relevant’.

The invite is sent based on your points. The documentary proof is submitted later when you lodge your invite and pay PR fees.

• Pub
        Pub 24 Mar, 19 at 6:35 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have send for assessment but 1 assessment company didn’t send positive review so I have send to other one I am worried about if again I will get negative review. So how long it takes to get invitation in 80 points?

What’s your ANZSCO code?