How to renew Indian Passport in USA after 10 years
Step by step guidance for re-issue of passport with Cox and Kings (CKGS) in the jurisdiction of Indian embassy New York, Houston (Texas), Washington DC, Atlanta (Georgia), Chicago (Illinois) and SFO (San Francisco, California) Indian consulate.
Indian passport renewal in USA processing time?
3-6 weeks on average if the last passport was issued in India.
10 days if your last passport was issued by Indian Embassy in USA.
When can I apply for passport renewal in USA?
Apply for renewal 1.5 months before the final expiry to avoid issues with delays in processing at Indian embassy.
Officially, you can apply 1 year in advance (365 days).
Documents required to renew Indian Passport in USA
- Expiring Passport (Original, most recent one). All other OLD passports, if any, are not required.
- 2×2 Inch photographs (White background, off-white is NOT allowed) – Total 3 in number. Paste 1 photo on these documents:
- NRI Government passport renewal application form
- Change of Appearance / Signature Form
- CKGS has recently removed Nationality Verification form which needed the third photo. They have not said if this 3rd photo is needed or not. So, you should send one lose photo in package.
Nationality Verification form.Update Dec 3, 2018 – Not required now as CKGS has updated their process.
- CKGS (Cox & Kings) Document checklist.
- CKGS (Cox & Kings) Online Payment Receipt.
- NRI Government passport renewal application form.
- Change of Appearance form.
- Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper.
- (Optional) If you are Married and want to add your Spouse name to new passport?
Then, include Spouse’s Passport’s front (page with picture) and back page (with address) OR Green Card, ONLY if asked for your case in ‘CKGS document checklist’. For some people, this is NOT required.
If the Checklist asks for, then you may need to include Marriage Certificate (Indian or any other) too.
- Photocopy of First 5 pages of YOUR passport + last 2 pages. First page with Photo, then page numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Page number 34, 35, 36 and last page with address. Total of 10 pages.
- (Optional) – For ECR Stamp – Copy of Highest Educational Qualification Degree. Do you need ECNR or ECR?
- USA Address proof
- Rental Lease agreement (Month to Month is acceptable) OR Home Mortgage bill – Should not have expired at the time of submission. Rental agreement with future start date?
- Any utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) – Must NOT be older than 3 months. Home Internet wifi bill and Mobile bill are NOT accepted.
- Driver’s License OR State ID – Front and back both are required. Learning / temporary driving license is accepted.
- US bank statement is NOT a valid address proof.
- Indian Address Proof – ONLY REQUIRED if you want to ADD or CHANGE current Indian Address on your current passport.
Current passport has Indian hostel as permanent address?
- Any Indian utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) – Must NOT be older than 3 months
- Aadhar Card
- Indian Drivers license
- Recent Bank Statement from Indian Government bank. Front page required. Should have affixed photograph.
Check sample of SBI’s passbook with affixed and stamped photograph here.
- US Legal Status
Current Valid US Visa (including dependent Visa) OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card (EAD) or I- 797 approval notice or Valid I-20.
H1B / H4 Extension pending with USCIS? Apply with i797C. US Visa – B1/B2 is NOT valid visa for passport reissue. i94 is not a valid Proof either.
CKGS Passport Application Forms
Start CKGS application here. Sample values:
Postal Envelope, payment and CKGS shipping
We recommend CKGS’s shipping option: UPS or FedEx. Both cost the same $15 each way ($30 total).
Payment is accepted only by online mode at step 5.
Note down application’s web reference here before clicking the ‘Pay Online’ button.
If you decide to not use CKGS shipping, remember to NOT use USPS as its not allowed by CKGS.
NRI passport Application form – India Government
At step 6 in CKGS application, you have to fill Indian passport renewal USA application form, separately on Indian government website.
CKGS creates a unique web reference ID to link to this govt. application form and provides you a link on Step 6. Click this link to fill the form.
If you fill the government’s form before CKGS step 6, then CKGS has a separate process and is NOT recommended. You will find the on CKGS home page. We are assuming you started with CKGS.
Digital photo upload – Optional
DIGITAL photo uploading is optional at this time. NO option to upload it later if you have moved past the upload photo step.
See Sample NRI online form and step by step filing instructions. It covers ‘amount to be paid’, permanent US or Indian address and period of stay abroad questions with answers.
Sample NRI online passport govt form
First fill questions/fields online on the form and then take a print for rest. Online form will guide you.
Printed form has 3 pages in total with about 29 questions/points. Q 7 to 29 need to be filled manually with hand using BLUE or BLACK ink pen only.
Update Dec 3, 2018 – CKGS has changed the NRI form and it is now filled up online. We are waiting to update the NRI form sample. If you have filled one recently, please share it with us in the comments below.
Only you should sign yourself on the photocopy.
- Your passport copy of First Five and Last two pages.
- Copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- USA Address proof.
- Indian Address proof (If Applicable for you case).
- Copy of Marriage Certificate (ONLY If you are married).
- Spouse Passport copy (ONLY If you are married).
Change of Appearance Form. Is AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE IN APPEARANCE mandatory if mine has not changed?
City library, Bank (like Bank of America), your own office (Almost all have notaries on their payroll) are the FREE options.
USPS, Fedex and others would cost around $5+ per page.
Package, Mailing and Tracking
- Arrange documents in the order of CKGS document checklist with checklist on top.
- (Optional) Use a small letter style envelope to keep the passport just to have an extra layer of protection.
- Original Expiring Passport.
- Use paper clip or paper pins to tie all the documents together. Do NOT use stapler.
Visit UPS/FedEx office, pick up the FREE envelope (included in the shipping fees you paid to CKGS) and send with CKGS shipping label within 15 days of generating label.
NOTE: No need to send return envelope. It will be taken care off by CKGS if you opted for CKGS shipping.
CKGS allows you to track your passport application here.
Point 13 ECR/ECNR if nothing is mentioned in the current passport?
The ECR/ECNR status is available on page 2 of passport. If it is not there or nothing is mentioned in your passport, you can select ECNR on point 13.
Documentary proof for ECNR status on new passport?
Photocopy of your highest educational qualification degree like MCA (Masters in Computer Applications) is sufficient. If you do not attach any proof and your old passport did not have this ECR stamp, you will automatically be considered eligible for ECNR.
No notarization needed. Just Self-attest with your signature and clearly mark the photocopy with “For ECNR – Documentary proof”.
How to log back into CKGS website with Web reference number?
CKGS website might confuse you, if you have already started the passport application and saved it.
Use their web reference number on the box provided at the BOTTOM of the their website: