You can easily renew Indian Passport in USA after 10 years with CKGS.
Step by step process for re-issue of passport with Cox and Kings (CKGS) with Indian embassy in New York, Houston (Texas), Washington DC, Atlanta (Georgia), Chicago (Illinois) and SFO (San Francisco, California) Indian consulate. CKGS is the official third party passport application handler for Indian Embassy in USA.
Passport Renewal Processing Time
Your Indian passport renewal will take 3-6 weeks if the last passport was issued in India.
You can get new passport in 10 days if your last passport was issued by Indian Embassy in USA.
You can apply for renewal 1 year or 365 days before expiry. We recommend applying 6 weeks before the final expiry to avoid issues with delays in processing at Indian embassy.
Documents Required Passport Renewal
- Expiring Passport (Original, most recent one). All other OLD passports, if any, are not required.
- 2×2 Inch photographs (White background, off-white is NOT allowed) – Total 3 in number. Paste 1 photo on these documents:
- NRI Government passport renewal application form
- Change of Appearance / Signature Form
- CKGS has recently removed Nationality Verification form which needed the third photo. They have not said if this 3rd photo is needed or not. So, you should send one lose photo in package.
- CKGS (Cox & Kings) Document checklist.
- CKGS (Cox & Kings) Online Payment Receipt.
- NRI Government passport renewal application form.
- Change of Appearance form.
- Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper.
- (Optional) If you are Married and want to add your Spouse name to new passport?
Then, include Spouse’s Passport’s front (page with picture) and back page (with address) OR Green Card, ONLY if asked for your case in ‘CKGS document checklist’. For some people, this is NOT required.
If the Checklist asks for, then you may need to include Marriage Certificate (Indian or any other) too.
- Photocopy of First 5 pages of YOUR passport + last 2 pages. First page with Photo, then page numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Page number 34, 35, 36 and last page with address. Total of 10 pages.
- (Optional) – For ECR Stamp – Copy of Highest Educational Qualification Degree. Do you need ECNR or ECR?
- USA Address proof
- Rental Lease agreement (Month to Month is acceptable) OR Home Mortgage bill – Should not have expired at the time of submission. Rental agreement with future start date?
- Any utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) – Must NOT be older than 3 months. Home Internet wifi bill and Mobile bill are NOT accepted.
- Driver’s License OR State ID – Front and back both are required. Learning / temporary driving license is accepted.
- US bank statement is NOT a valid address proof.
- Indian Address Proof – ONLY REQUIRED if you want to ADD or CHANGE current Indian Address on your current passport.
Current passport has Indian hostel as permanent address?
- Any Indian utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) – Must NOT be older than 3 months
- Aadhar Card
- Indian Drivers license
- Recent Bank Statement from Indian Government bank. Front page required. Should have affixed photograph.
Check sample of SBI’s passbook with affixed and stamped photograph here.
- US Legal Status
Current Valid US Visa (including dependent Visa) OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card (EAD) or I- 797 approval notice or Valid I-20.
H1B / H4 Extension pending with USCIS? Apply with i797C. US Visa – B1/B2 is NOT valid visa for passport reissue. i94 is not a valid Proof either.
CKGS Passport Application Forms
Start CKGS application here. Sample values:
Indian passport online application form cox and kings. Click for larger view
Postal Envelope, Payment and CKGS shipping
We recommend CKGS’s shipping option from UPS or FedEx. Both cost the same $15 each way ($30 total).
CKGS accepts payment only by online mode at step 5.
Note down application’s web reference here before clicking the ‘Pay Online’ button.
If you decide to not use CKGS shipping, remember to NOT use USPS as its not allowed by CKGS.
NRI passport Application form – India Government
At step 6 in CKGS application, you have to fill Indian passport renewal USA application form, separately on Indian government website.
CKGS creates a unique web reference ID to link to this govt. application form and provides you a link on Step 6. Click this link to fill the form.
If you fill the government’s form before CKGS step 6, then CKGS has a separate process and is NOT recommended. You will find the on CKGS home page. We are assuming you started with CKGS.
Digital photo upload – Optional
DIGITAL photo uploading is optional at this time. NO option to upload it later if you have moved past the upload photo step.
See Sample NRI online form and step by step filing instructions. It covers ‘amount to be paid’, permanent US or Indian address and period of stay abroad questions with answers.
Sample NRI online passport govt form
First fill questions/fields online on the form and then take a print for rest. Online form will guide you.
Printed form has 3 pages in total with about 29 questions/points. Q 7 to 29 need to be filled manually with hand using BLUE or BLACK ink pen only.
Update Dec 3, 2018 – CKGS has changed the NRI form and it is now filled up online. We are waiting to update the NRI form sample. If you have filled one recently, please share it with us in the comments below.
Only you should sign yourself on the photocopy.
- Your passport copy of First Five and Last two pages.
- Copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- USA Address proof.
- Indian Address proof (If Applicable for you case).
- Copy of Marriage Certificate (ONLY If you are married).
- Spouse Passport copy (ONLY If you are married).
Change of Appearance Form. Is AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE IN APPEARANCE mandatory if mine has not changed?
Package, Mailing and Tracking
- Arrange documents in the order of CKGS document checklist with checklist on top.
- (Optional) Use a small letter style envelope to keep the passport just to have an extra layer of protection.
- Original Expiring Passport.
- Use paper clip or paper pins to tie all the documents together. Do NOT use stapler.
Visit UPS/FedEx office, pick up the FREE envelope (included in the shipping fees you paid to CKGS) and send with CKGS shipping label within 15 days of generating label.
NOTE: No need to send return envelope. It will be taken care off by CKGS if you opted for CKGS shipping.
CKGS allows you to track your passport application here.
The ECR, ECNR proof is not required for Indian passport renewal in USA.
The ECR/ECNR status is available on page 2 of Indian passport. If it is not there or nothing is mentioned in your passport, you can select option ECNR (Emigration check not required) on point 13.
You can send photocopy of your highest educational qualification degree like MCA (Masters in Computer Applications) for ECNR proof. If you do not attach any proof and your old passport did not have the ECR stamp, you will automatically be considered eligible for ECNR.
No notarization needed. Just Self-attest with your signature and clearly mark the photocopy with “For ECNR – Documentary proof”.
Use CKGS web reference number on the box provided at the BOTTOM of the their website to log back into CKGS website.
You must have saved your application before you can try to log back again:
You can get Indian Passport photos at Walmart, Costco, Sams Club, CVS or Walgreens. ePassportPhoto offers free delivery and just $1.5 per picture. CostCo or Sam’s club charge approximately $4.96 for 2 passport photo.
Your local city library, Bank (like Bank of America, Chase), your own office are the FREE notary options for Indian passport renewal.
USPS, Fedex and other local mail shops would charge around $5+ per page of notary.