i94 Extension Laredo TX US Mexico Border – Bridge 1 experience

i94 extension laredo TX CBP Office- cross border, walk on bridge 1 (gateway to America) or without crossing border. $6 fees. Documents - New, old passport with US visa stamp, i797.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  15 Jul, 19

Your last i94 entry to US was stamped to match your passport expiry. Once you renew your passport, you can visit Laredo TX, US Mexico border to get new i94 with validity matching your i797 approval.

Documents for i94 extension Laredo TX, US Mexico Border

1. Original Approved i797.
    Example: If you are on H4 or H1B visa, your OWN approved i797 original document.
  2. Your Old (expired) and New passport.
    Example: the passport with your US visa stamp should also be carried in original.
  3. Your US address proof
    Could be any utility bill, your driving license, state ID, EAD card, Lease agreement.

Related: How to get FBI Clearance Certificate โ€“ Visa Immigration

i94 extension Laredo TX Border crossing required or Not at Bridge 1?

First and most important, you may be asked to cross border. Its a 50-50 chance and is dependent on the immigration officer. Be prepared.

Both options are okay and can be done at Laredo, TX border easily.

In my case, the officer ASKED to cross the border on 1 June 2018 using Bridge 1 (Pedestrian Bridge over River Rio).
Bridge 2 is for cars coming into US from Mexico. You can use it too but I would not recommend.

STEP 1: Go to CBP office. Try your luck with immigration officer by asking correction of i94 based on renewed passport. If officer fixes your i94 to match your i797 date with new passport, you are lucky and you are done.

STEP 2. If you are asked to cross border and re-enter US, then use Bridge 1 (Called Gateway to America) to walk. Details given below with pictures.

Related: Renew Indian passport in USA with CKGS by post

Laredo TX border Car Parking

#1. Parking closest to CBP office – Valero gas station

Valero gas station is right across the street from CBP office.
Park car, walk inside the store, buy a parking tag and then hang on your windshield.

Parking cost: $5 per hour. Just buy for 1 hour. If you take more time, you can pay later for extra time. They do not tow your car ๐Ÿ™‚ Don’t worry.

Cross the street and you see yourself walking in the CBP office lot. Total walk time is just 2 minutes.

Exact address for Valero Gas Station is:

619 Farragut Street, Laredo, TX

#2 Free parking at Pedestrian Bridge 1 – Laredo Outlets Mall

You can park car in FREE 3 hour parking behind Outlets mall building.

Walking from CBP office to Laredo Bridge 1

Bridge 1 is about 10 blocks walk from Gas station (or CBP office) walking on Hindalgo St.
If you are first trying your luck at CBP office for i94 extension, you can choose to park free either at mall or Valero gas station (paid).

Walking from CBP office to Bridge 1 is not recommend with kid. Its a long walk. Better drive and park at free mall parking. The market that you walk through on Hindalgo street looks deserted too.

NOBODY on the street knows ENGLISH.

So, Just follow this image sign to help your self to reach Bridge 1.
No signs except the one on a red signal (shown in image) is visible for reaching Bridge 1.

Cross Laredo Bridge 1 mid-way to enter US i94 line

This is me after crossing the bridge midway (some people call it as ‘Jumping the line mid-way’).
There is no separate signal button / light to allow for crossing the street safely like you see on US streets generally. Just look for cars and then cross when you feel it is safe.

It is allowed to cross like this as I confirmed from the US police officers posted on the other side of street, before crossing.

After this point, you should enter the ‘General Queue‘.
Do not enter the ‘SENTRI‘ line since you do not have a SENTRI card.

Queue is smaller on weekdays (Mon – Friday) and you can get through the process within 15 minutes.
It takes a lot longer on weekends. I have heard timing from 2-3 hours as the line is longer.

Once you reach the immigration officer, you will be questioned same as you would have seen at PoE.

You have to pay $6 in cash per person here if you have not paid already online to get renewed i94.

Laredo, TX Port of Entry Address – i94 correction / Extension

The exact address for CBP office is

300 San Dario Avenue, Laredo, TX

If you are taking Uber or Lyft, you can set the Gas station address as your destination as this CBP office address might not come up in Google address search.

i94 extension fees – $6 – Cash or Online

#1 CASH payment

Look for PERMITS sign on the building entrance or door.
Once you are in, you can make the payment and wait for your name to be called.

The waiting lines may be long at CASH payment counter.

#2 ONLINE payment

So, it is advisable that you make the payment online at CBP website with ‘Land’ border’ entrance option.
This payment is valid for 7 days meaning that you can pay online and visit the border for i94 days anytime during those 7 days.
There are no refunds if you miss the 7 day deadline.
Payment receipt printout is required.

i94 extension interview questions

The immigration interview would be same as you would have faced (by immigration officer) while entering US at any port of entry (PoE) by Air or sea. They consider it same as your re-entry to US.

i94 extension approval

Once the officer is satisfied, he will take your finger prints and a picture. This is exactly same as what happens at port of entry.

You are given a paper I-94 i.e. your new updated i94 is printed on paper and given to you.
THIS IS REQUIRED as you would be asked to show it while you are travelling back from Laredo, TX back into US.
There is a vehicle inspection site on I35 North (interstate i-35N) around 25 miles from Laredo, TX.

Here, all vehicles are stopped and your immigration papers are checked. You would need you new i94 here.

Your passport is stamped with new dates as applicable per your approved I797 validity.

i94 extension at Laredo, TX Processing time

The whole process can take anywhere between 15 min to 1 hour. So be prepared.

No appointment is required. Neither do they have any option of appointments. It’s a walk in facility.

Once i94 is issued, it is updated immediately at CBP website too.

New i94 record is attached to OLD passport number?

This is fine. When CBP extends the i94 based on your renewed passport, they usually attach it to the same OLD and expired passport number.
So, if you search online on their website, you will be able to pull your new and updated i94 based on your OLD PASSPORT number.

Also, both “Most Recent Entry” date and “Admit Until” on I-94 are updated.

There is no need to worry here.

Laredo TX CBP i94 update opening hours

The i94 correction / extensions are done 24x7x365.

Laredo TX Checkpoint on i35

Yes, there is a checkpoint while coming back into US on i35 at about 28 miles i35 North.

USA

126 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Vino
    Vino 10 Jun, 19 at 11:49 pm

how do they confirm we crossed the border if we jump the ling in bridge without mexico seal in passport ?

Anil Gupta 10 Jun, 19 at 11:57 pm

When you jump the line, you have already crossed the US border. It means you are already physically out of US boundaries.

They don’t check any Mexico stamp. They are only concerned about US visa and its process.

• Vino
        Vino 11 Jun, 19 at 7:35 pm

So we cannot get into the queue without crossing the border , and if they refuse to update I94 should we go back to Mexico ? My current I94 is valid till Aug 31 so technically I am still valid to come into USA ? unless they decided to deport me

Anil Gupta 11 Jun, 19 at 8:05 pm

Once you cross border, your current i94 is automatically invalid.

If they deny you entry, you will have no option but to enter Mexico.

2. Ram
    Ram 10 Jun, 19 at 11:18 pm

Entering CBP office without crossing border and after crossing border will be processed on same building ? or is there two buildings ?

Anil Gupta 10 Jun, 19 at 11:33 pm

Buildings are different.

• Ram
        Ram 11 Jun, 19 at 7:49 pm

will they stop you even before entering CBP office or once you enter and check with I94 section , they will refuse to update I94 without crossing border ? My I94 is currently till Aug 20 2019.

Anil Gupta 11 Jun, 19 at 8:05 pm

Did you read the article? Please read. It has all the details.

3. Pallavi Kurhekar
    Pallavi Kurhekar 3 Jun, 19 at 11:12 am

Appreciate your effort for sharing detailed explanation with pictures. I am currently on H4 and just got my passport renewed. With my I94 expiring soon as per my old passport expiry date, I was thinking of going to Laredo Tx from Florida. My question is do I have to cross the border or this can be done at cbp US office only? I have a valid visa and valid current I94. Thanks in advance

Anil Gupta 3 Jun, 19 at 12:12 pm

It depends on your luck. Many people get a new i94 without crossing border and many are asked to cross it.
      It depends on the CBP officer that you encounter.

• Pallavi Kurhekar
        Pallavi Kurhekar 3 Jun, 19 at 1:45 pm

okay… thanks. In case I am asked to cross the border, do I need a mexico visa in that case? Also, my husband will accompany me. He has a valid visa and I94(no updates needed). Does he need any documents other than his visa/passport?

Anil Gupta 3 Jun, 19 at 2:10 pm

Your husband does not need to cross border if he has a valid i94.

You do not need Mexico Visa. It is simple half way turnaround without even reaching Mexico immigration. You can see my pictures above.

4. Gowtham
    Gowtham 30 May, 19 at 11:04 am

My old passport is already expired on Apr 15, 2019 along with my I-94. I applied for a new passport before my expiry and my company has filed for my extension of my I-94 before the expiry, but my petition is still in process(RFE). I have a valid visa and I797 till June 2020. I am planning to visit laredo TX to extend my I94 to match my I797. Do you see any issues with my case? Since my I94 is already expired do i face any tough questions?

Gowtham

Anil Gupta 30 May, 19 at 11:54 am

I don’t understand why you are planning to visit border if your company has already applied for i94 extention?

What form has your company filed for i94 extention?

• Gowtham
        Gowtham 30 May, 19 at 11:57 am

My company filed form I-129 and I- 539.

My petition was in RFE and my immigration attorney suggested to correct my I94 (by travelling out of country) before they reply to RFE . Since i have a valid visa till June 2020, and if my petition is rejected i will not have any issues.

Anil Gupta 30 May, 19 at 1:20 pm

Filing form I-129 for H1B extention is one of the way to extend i94.

If you cross the border at Laredo now and get new i94 till June 2020, your current pending extention may be approved (if approved) without a new i94.

In that case, you will have to repeat the same process of either visiting border or file I-129 after June 2020 to match your new extended approval.

• Gowtham
            Gowtham 30 May, 19 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for the information Anil. Do you see any risks in the Laredo border now since my I-94 is already expired? i will carry all my petitions and receipts as proof for additional information.

Anil Gupta 30 May, 19 at 9:58 pm

The risk is same as you would have at any US port of entry airport. Your entry can be denied.

• Gowtham
              Gowtham 2 Jun, 19 at 8:27 pm

I went to Laredo yesterday and got my I94 extended in the CBP office. They did not asked me to cross the border. Thanks for you help.

Anil Gupta 2 Jun, 19 at 8:53 pm

Great. You are lucky. Enjoy.

• Sunil Kapoor
              Sunil Kapoor 12 Jun, 19 at 7:35 pm

is there any change in your travel history from I94 website ?
              arrival and departure on Laredo on same date?

• Raj
              Raj 11 Jun, 19 at 12:06 am

is there multiple entry point for CBP ? did they question you before entering the CBP office ? is there seperate scetion for I94 update ?
              can you explain in detail ?

• Sunil Kapoor
              Sunil Kapoor 12 Jun, 19 at 7:35 pm

is there any change in your travel history from I94 website ? arrival and departure on LRD on same date ?

• Vishnu
              Vishnu 11 Jun, 19 at 7:49 pm

Gowtham, did your travel history still reflect as you entered on LRD or it did not update but just I94 date changed ? what section we need to check once you enter CBP office ? Can you explain what happened inside CBP ?

• Govind J
              Govind J 11 Jun, 19 at 9:31 pm

Is there any change in your travel history? the one we can see in I94 website , both departure and arrival as LRD and on same date ? so you did not visit any other country ?

• Govind
              Govind 11 Jun, 19 at 10:45 pm

did your I94 travel history update as well ? both departure and arrival on same date on LRD ? so next time you apply for Ds-160/visa you will not mention mexico as visited country ?

• Sunil Kapoor
              Sunil Kapoor 12 Jun, 19 at 7:11 pm

5. Manoj
    Manoj 24 May, 19 at 2:06 pm

I renewed my new passport in US and went to India and came back.

After US entry,
    My I94 for old passport(unexpired yet) is updated with Visa expiry date.(Which is good)

My I94 for New passport is updated with my old passport expiry date instead of Visa expiry date.

Do i need to go Laredo TX CBP office for this correction OR the Local CPB office at Airport?

Anil Gupta 24 May, 19 at 2:35 pm

I do not understand what you mean by new and old i94. You should only have one i94 active at a time.
      The most recent i94 is the one that is counted as current.

• Manoj
        Manoj 11 Jul, 19 at 9:45 am

My old passport is not expired yet and visa stamping is on my old passport. I renewed the new passport here in US and went to India and back to US.

When I pull my recent I94 with my new passport, It is giving me admit until my old passport expiry date instead of my valid visa date.

Anil Gupta 11 Jul, 19 at 10:30 am

Your most recent i94 is what is considered correct. If this i94 is showing a shorter date, you need to get it corrected.

6. Madhu
    Madhu 29 Apr, 19 at 2:37 pm

Hey Anil,

I really appreciate your post on this topic with such minute details. Following this, I went on 6/26/2019 Saturday and could get my wife’s I94 updated in less than 10 minutes. Luckily they did it at the CBP office and didn’t ask to cross the border. Great job in sharing this info… God Bless…

Madhu

• Madhu
      Madhu 29 Apr, 19 at 2:37 pm

Oopss.. 4/27/2019 not 6/26 ๐Ÿ™‚ Typo…

• Raj
      Raj 11 Jun, 19 at 12:06 am

can you explain in detail on

Anil Gupta 11 Jun, 19 at 11:00 am

If you read the article above, it has all the pictures and details.

• Raj
          Raj 11 Jun, 19 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Anil, but it did not explain more on what happens in CBP . what section of office we need to check for I94 update ?

7. Abdul Hakim
    Abdul Hakim 10 Apr, 19 at 7:39 pm

Thanks for the post. Couple of questions

1. If we walk from shorter way as indicated by you, is it a straight road which will take us to bridge 1?
    2. Also you mentioned enter bridge 1 through outlet mall building. Whether this means when we take shorter way as indicated by you we will reach outlet mall and from there we need to reach bridge 1?
    3. How we can reach bridge 1 from outlet mall building?
    Please clarify

Abdul Hakim

Anil Gupta 10 Apr, 19 at 8:11 pm

You can see and I can’t explain any further about the shortest way to reach bridge until you personally go there and see for yourself.
      I have mentioned everything that could possibly help in the above article.

• Abdul Hakim
        Abdul Hakim 11 Apr, 19 at 7:48 am

Thanks Anil..

8. Srivathsa Krishnappa
    Srivathsa Krishnappa 8 Apr, 19 at 6:09 pm

Thank You Anil and others for so much detail. This really helps and I am planning to go this month or my i94 extension.
    My question is regarding auto insurance. Do I need any additional auto insurance since we are driving into Mexico?
    Also I am planning to drive from Atlanta – any tips from anyone who have made a similar journey will be extremely helpful.
    Thank you in advance.

Anil Gupta 8 Apr, 19 at 8:31 pm

I suggest to use the walking route and not take your car to Mexico side. There is an option to take your car too to cross border and come back.

When you are at Laredo near CBP office, you are still on US side and you can park anywhere as mentioned above.

9. Suman Jookuri
    Suman Jookuri 15 Mar, 19 at 6:13 pm

Thank you Anil for the post, its really helped me to get my son’s (Age 7 Yrs) I94 Today (03/15/2019).

Putting more details on my son’s case and it may helpful if anyone in such situations.

My son’s I94 expired on 09/18/2018 due to passport expiry. However, He has L2 visa until 09/15/2019. I had renewed the passport before it expires but didn’t renew I94. Initially I thought its not really necessary for minor kids based on the experience from few people. I came to know while preparing documents for H1B this year. My company asked to get the new I94 as the old one expired and went into “Out of status”. My lawyer suggested to file the i-539 via non pro tunc but it will take any where between 2 Months to 6 Months. Also during this time we can’t leave US and we can’t file L2 visa extension for him. So final option is international travel. We are close to 180 day period so at any cost I thought of renew within 180 days period which my lawyer suggested. There is chance of Visa cancellation if its beyond the 180 days period (It may not be case for minors but there is no evidence). I followed this post and get it done in 2 hours. Started from Bridge 1 at around 8 AM and came out by 10 AM. It was big line Today due to Monday holiday in Mexico. At PoE they simply asked about our passports and asked to go to other counter to get I94. They didn’t even see my I797 or any other documents. They just go by Visa stamping date. Not sure if its my luck, it doesn’t look the officers are well trained and we got our I94 with date of 2022. We have L1/L2 visa until 2022 but petition is there until Sep 2019.
    I have only suggestion based on my experience. Don’t research too much as you will too many questions and not all the cases are same.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it.

10. Aditya Agrawal
    Aditya Agrawal 7 Mar, 19 at 2:58 am

Thank you for this post . It is very helpful. I am planning to travel on a weekend. Are there any specific hours ?
    Also , is anyone else planning to travel to Laredo anytime soon. I am planning from Austin.

Anil Gupta 7 Mar, 19 at 9:27 am

If you have read the article above, it is clearly mentioned that port of entry is open 24x7x365.