How to Score 79+ PTE Academic In a Week, Tips, Cheat Sheet

How to score 79+ in PTE in 1 week. Tried, tested method on how to speak, listen, read and write helped me get 85 points. PTE easier to score than IELTS.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  1 Nov, 19

Score 79+ in PTE First Attempt

Getting a score 79+ in PTE is easy. I got PTE overall score of 85 in first attempt itself after preparing for a week. Here is my score sheet for reference to prove my claim:

PTE English Overall high score 85 first attempt
PTE-English Overall high score 85 first attempt

You do not need to go anywhere else to score 79+ in PTE if you just watch the embedded videos and learn the tricks and cheat sheets given below.
You can get the top score in each PTE academic module like reading, listening, writing and speaking easily.

PTE Image Description Trick

6-7 images questions – Aim to speak for 35 seconds. Total time is 40 sec

NOTE: Content is less important than how to say it.

If you have no idea about what is shown in the image, just read the words from the image and keep speaking.
Try to avoid Y axis completely unless it looks easy at first glance. Best training video for Image questions from e2learning.com

Open link in new window.

Image Description – Cheat Sheet

1. Introduction (use 10 sec) – This image represents TITLE + X Axis
  2. Key features (use 20 sec) – Just KEEP it SIMPLE.
    Describe the MAX/Min to maintain fluency and time limit.
    Avoid hesitation. Stay calm.
    Keep the sentence going on. Don’t re-start sentence.
    Read words from the image.
  3. Conclusion (5-6 sec) – SINGLE SENTENCE
    Overall, say the conclusion.
    DON’T worry even if you say the wrong conclusion. It does not matter.
    Oral fluency is judged.
    Don’t STOP and don’t restart sentence.

PTE Repeat Sentence Tricks

10-12 sentence repetition

Open link in new window.

Repeat Sentence – Cheat Sheet

1. Listen to phrases. Divide it into 3-4 phrases.
  2. Understand the content.
  3. Repeat with intonation (raise voice at important words, lower voice at end of sentence) and meaning.

PTE RETELL Lecture Tips & Tricks

3-4 lectures
Take notes. Note keywords. Get idea about the whole topic.

PTE Retell Lecture Cheat Sheet

Just use the sentences in BOLD as it is and then the words from what you heard.

1. The speaker was discussing TOPIC
  2. FIRSTLY, he mentioned KEYWORD 1
  3. He THEN talked about KEYWORD 2
  4. IN ADDITION, He discussed KEYWORD 3
  5. He described KEYWORD 4
  6. FINALLY, He suggested KEYWORD 5

PTE Listening: Write from Dictation or Summarize Spoken Text

Runs for 60-90 seconds, 2-3 dictations/lectures
50-70 words, 10 minute TOTAL time. You get about 8-9 minute for writing after listening to lecture.

Open link in new window.

Similar to Re-tell lecture except that you have to write here than speaking. Try to write between 65-70 words to get maximum marks on content.
Take notes and UNDERSTAND the dictation/ spoken lecture. Multiple sentences are allowed.

PTE summarize spoken text (Same as Re-tell lecture) – Cheat Sheet

-LEAVE 1 BLANK LINE
2. Paragraph 1 – Side 1
-LEAVE 1 BLANK LINE
3. Paragraph 2 – Side 2
-LEAVE 1 BLANK LINE
4. Conclusion

Next step is to further sub-divide the essay sections into each sentence as shown in the image. Watch the video above for excellent explanation.

screen shot from Jay E2 language Essay video

IELTS vs PTE – Which Test is Easier?

My personal opinion says PTE as an exam is tougher than IELTS. But, at the same time, scoring in PTE is much more reliable and easier than IELTS.

You can use the free EDX IELTS test preparation courses online to improve your score.

Since PTE is computer based test, the chances of human bias while scoring is almost negligible.  I have attempted IELTS General exam twice in past and in both attempts, I was given 6.5 in one out of four subjects.

Other 3 always were 7.5+. On the other hand, I topped PTE Academic in my first attempt!

My PTE Experience Score 79+ PTE

#1 PTE Pen and Notebook

PTE test center gives an erasable marker pen and erasable notebook exactly like this picture.

PTE test pen and notebook
PTE test pen and notebook

#2 PTE Timed sections are tough to manage

I found these two sections where you have multiple questions to be mentally tiring and stressful.

1. 18 questions to answer within 40 minutes (reading section) and
  2. 19 questions to answer in 40 minutes (listening section) – Time is reduced if you take extra time in 10 minute break.

#3 Listening and Taking notes

Listening, Taking notes and then selecting the most appropriate 1 option was tough as the total time plays on your mind.  PTE should prob

ably consider the exam’s stress too while timing the sections.
You can’t really focus on what speaker is saying and then gauge the notes to select the best option with 12 more questions left and only 20 minutes left on the clock.

The options are too similar to each other. No one clearly stands out.

The lecture that you hear is full of words from all options with just slightly different in meaning from each other. Unless, you get enough time to hear and understand the spoken speech, i found it too difficult to find the correct answer.

When you are reading the options, the TIMER constantly plays on your mind because you see that there are still 12 questions left to attempt and you are only left with 20 minutes.

Listening and filling the blanks is mix of easy, medium level and one fast speaking lecture. One of them is definitely a lecture with FAST speaker.

#4 Select the Correct word

One of the ‘select the correct word‘ in reading is tough with complex words. All other are easy and medium complexity.

The tough one had words that I had never heard or ever used in my life. Hence, I had no idea about their meaning either. I just selected based on my instincts.

#5 No time to read question instructions in listening + speaking task

PTE ASSUMES that you should KNOW the question format before you even appear for test. The instructions written on top of each question can’t really be read in limited time.
Speaker starts throwing questions at you immediately back to back. There is hardly any time to breathe.

If you have gone wrong on one question repetition, it will affect your next question’s ‘listen and speak’ too. You just don’t get time to think and relax. It all happens too FAST for a normal person.

#6 PTE test may go wrong but you still will score

You might feel that you missed a lot of questions or spoke wrong things, but do not worry, the overall score still gets you past 79+ easily.

If you made mistakes in speaking the sentences (after listening), but wrote them correctly (after listening), you probably will still get good score. I can say this as the same thing has happened with me.

I missed lot of sentences completely. Spoke them half correct and half forgotten. But, still got good score as i wrote all the sentences correctly while listening and writing.

#7 PTE Exam 10 minute break

The 10 minute break timer starts immediately after the part 2 of English PTE exam ends.

In my case, the examiner took 3 minutes to reach my desk and another 3 min. were spent to scan my fingerprints and giving a neck tag. I used rest room – 2 min, drnnk water – 1 min. Hand scan and pockets check again takes 3 before re-entry.

Officially, PTE says that you should come back from break with 5 minutes to spare for all these extra security checks!

So, basically, you only have about 2 minutes of real break time. Be careful. When I logged back into my test, it showed “YOUR BREAK TIME HAS EXPIRED“.

The extra time that I took was deducted from my next examination part 3.

Thanks to E2 Learning and Jay

All thanks to e2language.com for providing valuable tips for PTE exam online for FREE.
I did not enroll in any of their paid programs. Just their video tutorials and mock-up tests online on YouTube channel worked.

Jay from E2 Learning is awesome. His methods for cracking each type of PTE question are just un-beatable.

Australia

1. sayani_mukherjee
    sayani_mukherjee

I’ve once given PTE test and results are not brilliant. I’ve got 70 in average and scores are listening: 63/ Reading: 77/Speaking:71/ writing: 69.
    I am applying for Australia PR so definitely I would need 79+ scores in every section and I’m attempting for next exam Wednesday. I’m already preparing from ptegurus and pte academic website for the same but how else tips I should be using to get through 79 in all section. Please suggest, I definitely need your advise for improvement.

2. Saby_H
    Saby_H

this is awesome, thanks for the tips!

3. Khawaja_Al_Hassan
    Khawaja_Al_Hassan

Hello Anil, Can you kindly send me the material for preparation PTE as i am new one and wants to start preparation

4. Vaidyanathan_Radhakr
    Vaidyanathan_Radhakr

Can you share the materials as I’m preparing for the exam.

5. emanith
    emanith

Subscribe to e2language on youtube and refer to their videos. Your sorted.

1. Vikrant
    Vikrant 10 Dec, 18 at 12:46 pm

Hii Anil..
    Duration of my graduation course was from 2007-11, but because of back logs i completed it in 2014. I am working since 2011 in the same field i studied. So, my experience will be calculated from 2011 or from 2014 the year i passed my graduation.

Anil Gupta 10 Dec, 18 at 12:57 pm

I am assuming you are talking about Australia PR. I think your experience will be calculated after you finally passed your graduation.

2. Shamz
    Shamz 2 Dec, 18 at 12:27 am

I have attempted the PTE twice and could not score 79+ in all, fell short of 1-2 points in writing and listening. You mentioned that you have gone through e2Language without subscribing a paid course and I did the same in my first and second attempt. Do you suggest that I subscribe for their paid “Bronze” or “Silver” package to really break it through ? Please do share any other strategies, besides the ones listed above.

Anil Gupta 2 Dec, 18 at 7:40 am

If you are finding it difficult to score high with above methods, then, yes, it might be useful to get the paid subscription from E2language.

They check and pin point your mistakes with paid subscription. That will certainly help you.

3. Amarjeet
    Amarjeet 30 Nov, 18 at 8:50 am

I did my PTE yesterday and I got my scores today: L-90, R-90, S-88 and W-90 with an overall score of 90. Thank you again for such a great post, your methods and that of Jay’s from e2language is all I needed to get the above score in my first attempt. Also, like you said, though this test seems to be a lot tougher than IELTS, because of the scoring algorithm of the computer you end up with scores better than your expectations. I did mess up quite a few times, especially in speaking but the scores were a relief. The strategies mentioned here absolutely work.

Best

Amarjeet

Anil Gupta 30 Nov, 18 at 9:07 am

Great. Thanks for your feedback.
      Enjoy and share with your friends, if you liked the blog.

4. AC0715
    AC0715 19 Nov, 18 at 9:16 pm

How long were the sentences in “repeat sentence section” in your Actual exam?

Anil Gupta 19 Nov, 18 at 10:40 pm

The repeat sentences were of varying lengths. Some pretty small, then medium and them multi part long sentence.
      You have to break long sentence into parts to remember it.
      Just close eyes to concentrate, listen and repeat.

• AC0715
        AC0715 20 Nov, 18 at 12:03 pm

Thank you sir for the response! I’m taking the PTE-A on the 27th. I’m just anxious on this section and level of difficulty of the entire exam.

Anil Gupta 20 Nov, 18 at 12:07 pm

Don’t worrry about the exam.
          When giving the exam, you might feel it’s difficult than IELTS as the computer clok keeps ticking and you don’t get time to think about mistakes.

But, if you keep calm and just keep going with flow and use the methods mentioned above, you will top the exam easily.
          When you come out of exam, you will feel as you did not do well. But if you see the result later, you will be amazed if you have followed the exact methods.

5. Amarjeet
    Amarjeet 15 Nov, 18 at 12:55 pm

Thank you for such a great post. I have been using these tips to study for my PTE which is coming up soon. I have already taken the IELTS twice and have been in the 8-8.5 band, but need 8.5 in all the modules. I came across PTE and have decided to give it a go to get the score I need. I will re-post again once I get my scores. Thanks again for all these wonderful tips.

Best,

Amarjeet

Anil Gupta 15 Nov, 18 at 1:07 pm

You are welcome @disqus_wcFFXtyoS1:disqus and all the best. If you use the notes above, you will score maximum in first attempt.

• Amarjeet
        Amarjeet 16 Nov, 18 at 11:22 pm

Thank you!

6. Seth Jones
    Seth Jones 14 Nov, 18 at 1:17 am

Congrats on getting the required PTE score.

I’m a native English speaker but my English in general isn’t amazing. What I’m really concerned about it the Retell Lecture and Describe picture. I’m terrible at listening to someone speak and making notes at the same time. This is also the case when looking at a picture and trying to come up with stuff on the fly (I just really suck at it).

When I retell a lecture does the content need to be on topic or can I just mention a few key words that were in the lecture and make up the rest?

Anil Gupta 14 Nov, 18 at 6:52 am

Retell content has to be on the same topic.
      Computer is smart enough to understand your tricks.

7. Kunal Singh
    Kunal Singh 9 Aug, 18 at 11:48 pm

Good To see These Tips

Anil Gupta 10 Aug, 18 at 6:50 am

Thanks.

8. Chitwan
    Chitwan 2 Aug, 18 at 2:51 am

Thanks for making this post.

My reading from my surrounding test takers, is, all are getting their desired score in the first attempt who had studied in English medium in school, in contrast rest are finding struggle in getting score if they studied in Hindi or in a native language. May I know if your schooling was in English or other language? Do you agree with this insight?

Chitwan

Anil Gupta 2 Aug, 18 at 7:12 am

My schooling was in English medium school. I am not sure if that will make any big difference to the score.
      If one has done graduation in English, then, one should have got that kind of English speaking skills to pass this test.

9. Darweesh
    Darweesh 11 Jul, 18 at 4:50 am

Great article and very useful information, Thanks.

I have an average English and I want to try the PTE academic (after trying IELTS general) but I’m little bit afraid of the academic content. What I understood is that you have more room to make mistakes in PTE than you have in IELTS.

In IELTS reading to get 7 you have to answer 34 out of 40 questions correctly which is 85% ! but to get 65 in PTE does it mean you have to answer 72% correctly? (65/90)

I just want to understands how the scoring in PTE works in terms of the total number of points, does the 90 score means 90 points collected? I mean does the total points for any section equal to 90 points?

Anil Gupta 11 Jul, 18 at 7:19 am

The way you have written this comment, i can easily say that you have good English writing skills to get highest marks in PTE.

You just have to speak and write in same way that you have written this comment.

PTE scoring is not straightforward as IELTS. Each question in PTE may be testing more than one area. For example, There are question when you have to listen to a speech and then write it down. So, one question will contribute to both listening and writing score.

PTE as a test is difficult than IELTS. But, i still say it is easy to score as it is computer based and no human scoring bias is involved.
      I have written about my experience between IELTS (attempted twice) and PTE (attempted once) here: https://www.am22tech.com/ielts-vs-pte/

• Darweesh
        Darweesh 24 Sep, 18 at 11:40 am

Anil, your post was the main reason I switched from IELTS to PTE and I’m so glad I did. I’ve been able to get my target score at the first attempt 🙂 I can’t thank you enough for this, every word you wrote found to be 100% true!

Anil Gupta 24 Sep, 18 at 12:11 pm

That’s awesome news. I am glad it helped you.
          Congratulations!
          So, what is your next step? Are you looking at filing Australia PR application or something else?

10. pavan
    pavan 20 Jun, 18 at 5:39 am

First of all, congratulations on scoring 79+ in PTE and I wish you all the very best. I have given PTE twice and I am lagging in the sections other than the Speaking. in both the attempts I had scored 79+ but other sections. I have observed myself that I was completely nervous during the test as I speak too fast in speaking section which is affecting the subsequent sections. I need your few minutes of time to clarify my myths can you please call me at NUMBER DELETED at your free time.

Anil Gupta 20 Jun, 18 at 7:41 am

Hi Pavan,
      Sorry, but I cannot call. if you have any questions, you can ask them here itself. I will answer to the best of my knowledge.
      Aslo, i suggest to not share your phone number publicly. It invites SPAM calls.
      I will edit your comment and delete your phone number for your safety.

On the points question, the things listed above are my notes and that’s all i studied and prepared for the exam. I agree that exam format is a bit weird and it does make one nervous. I was nervous too. And I did miss and incorrectly spoke couple of ‘repeat sentences’.
      I have shared that experience in a separate post here: