How to Score 79+ PTE Academic In a Week, Tips, Cheat Sheet

How to score 79+ in PTE in 1 week. Tried, tested method on how to speak, listen, read and write helped me get 85 points. PTE easier to score than IELTS.

By Anil Gupta          Updated  25 May, 19

Score 79+ in PTE First Attempt

Getting a score 79+ in PTE is easy. I got PTE overall score of 85 in first attempt itself after preparing for a week. Here is my score sheet for reference to prove my claim:

You do not need to go anywhere else to score 79+ in PTE if you just watch the embedded videos and learn the tricks and cheat sheets given below.
You can get the top score in each PTE academic module like reading, listening, writing and speaking easily.

PTE Image Description Trick

6-7 images questions – Aim to speak for 35 seconds. Total time is 40 sec

NOTE: Content is less important than how to say it.

If you have no idea about what is shown in the image, just read the words from the image and keep speaking.
Try to avoid Y axis completely unless it looks easy at first glance. Best training video for Image questions from e2learning.com

Open link in new window.

Image Description – Cheat Sheet

1. Introduction (use 10 sec) – This image represents TITLE + X Axis
  2. Key features (use 20 sec) – Just KEEP it SIMPLE.
    Describe the MAX/Min to maintain fluency and time limit.
    Avoid hesitation. Stay calm.
    Keep the sentence going on. Don’t re-start sentence.
    Read words from the image.
  3. Conclusion (5-6 sec) – SINGLE SENTENCE
    Overall, say the conclusion.
    DON’T worry even if you say the wrong conclusion. It does not matter.
    Oral fluency is judged.
    Don’t STOP and don’t restart sentence.

PTE Repeat Sentence Tricks

10-12 sentence repetition

Open link in new window.

Repeat Sentence – Cheat Sheet

1. Listen to phrases. Divide it into 3-4 phrases.
  2. Understand the content.
  3. Repeat with intonation (raise voice at important words, lower voice at end of sentence) and meaning.

PTE RETELL Lecture Tips & Tricks

3-4 lectures
Take notes. Note keywords. Get idea about the whole topic.

PTE Retell Lecture Cheat Sheet

Just use the sentences in BOLD as it is and then the words from what you heard.

1. The speaker was discussing TOPIC
  2. FIRSTLY, he mentioned KEYWORD 1
  3. He THEN talked about KEYWORD 2
  4. IN ADDITION, He discussed KEYWORD 3
  5. He described KEYWORD 4
  6. FINALLY, He suggested KEYWORD 5

PTE Listening: Write from Dictation or Summarize Spoken Text

Runs for 60-90 seconds, 2-3 dictations/lectures
50-70 words, 10 minute TOTAL time. You get about 8-9 minute for writing after listening to lecture.

Open link in new window.

Similar to Re-tell lecture except that you have to write here than speaking. Try to write between 65-70 words to get maximum marks on content.
Take notes and UNDERSTAND the dictation/ spoken lecture. Multiple sentences are allowed.

PTE summarize spoken text (Same as Re-tell lecture) – Cheat Sheet

-LEAVE 1 BLANK LINE
2. Paragraph 1 – Side 1
-LEAVE 1 BLANK LINE
3. Paragraph 2 – Side 2
-LEAVE 1 BLANK LINE
4. Conclusion

Next step is to further sub-divide the essay sections into each sentence as shown in the image. Watch the video above for excellent explanation.

screen shot from Jay E2 language Essay video

IELTS vs PTE – Which Test is Easier?

My personal opinion says PTE as an exam is tougher than IELTS. But, at the same time, scoring in PTE is much more reliable and easier than IELTS.

You can use the free EDX IELTS test preparation courses online to improve your score.

Since PTE is computer based test, the chances of human bias while scoring is almost negligible.  I have attempted IELTS General exam twice in past and in both attempts, I was given 6.5 in one out of four subjects.

Other 3 always were 7.5+. On the other hand, I topped PTE Academic in my first attempt!

My PTE Experience Score 79+ PTE

#1 PTE Pen and Notebook

PTE test center gives an erasable marker pen and erasable notebook exactly like this picture.

#2 PTE Timed sections are tough to manage

I found these two sections where you have multiple questions to be mentally tiring and stressful.

1. 18 questions to answer within 40 minutes (reading section) and
  2. 19 questions to answer in 40 minutes (listening section) – Time is reduced if you take extra time in 10 minute break.

#3 Listening and Taking notes

Listening, Taking notes and then selecting the most appropriate 1 option was tough as the total time plays on your mind.  PTE should probably consider the exam’s stress too while timing the sections.
You can’t really focus on what speaker is saying and then gauge the notes to select the best option with 12 more questions left and only 20 minutes left on the clock.

If you are new to English and want to learn it on your own schedule, you can use a service like Babbel.

The options are too similar to each other. No one clearly stands out.

The lecture that you hear is full of words from all options with just slightly different in meaning from each other. Unless, you get enough time to hear and understand the spoken speech, i found it too difficult to find the correct answer.

When you are reading the options, the TIMER constantly plays on your mind because you see that there are still 12 questions left to attempt and you are only left with 20 minutes.

Listening and filling the blanks is mix of easy, medium level and one fast speaking lecture. One of them is definitely a lecture with FAST speaker.

#4 Select the Correct word

One of the ‘select the correct word‘ in reading is tough with complex words. All other are easy and medium complexity.

The tough one had words that I had never heard or ever used in my life. Hence, I had no idea about their meaning either. I just selected based on my instincts.

#5 No time to read question instructions in listening + speaking task

PTE ASSUMES that you should KNOW the question format before you even appear for test. The instructions written on top of each question can’t really be read in limited time.
Speaker starts throwing questions at you immediately back to back. There is hardly any time to breathe.

If you have gone wrong on one question repetition, it will affect your next question’s ‘listen and speak’ too. You just don’t get time to think and relax. It all happens too FAST for a normal person.

#6 PTE test may go wrong but you still will score

You might feel that you missed a lot of questions or spoke wrong things, but do not worry, the overall score still gets you past 79+ easily.

If you made mistakes in speaking the sentences (after listening), but wrote them correctly (after listening), you probably will still get good score. I can say this as the same thing has happened with me.

I missed lot of sentences completely. Spoke them half correct and half forgotten. But, still got good score as i wrote all the sentences correctly while listening and writing.

#7 PTE Exam 10 minute break

The 10 minute break timer starts immediately after the part 2 of English PTE exam ends.

In my case, the examiner took 3 minutes to reach my desk and another 3 min. were spent to scan my fingerprints and giving a neck tag. I used rest room – 2 min, drnnk water – 1 min. Hand scan and pockets check again takes 3 before re-entry.

Officially, PTE says that you should come back from break with 5 minutes to spare for all these extra security checks!

So, basically, you only have about 2 minutes of real break time. Be careful. When I logged back into my test, it showed “YOUR BREAK TIME HAS EXPIRED“.

The extra time that I took was deducted from my next examination part 3.

Thanks to E2 Learning and Jay

All thanks to e2language.com for providing valuable tips for PTE exam online for FREE.
I did not enroll in any of their paid programs. Just their video tutorials and mock-up tests online on YouTube channel worked.

Jay from E2 Learning is awesome. His methods for cracking each type of PTE question are just un-beatable.

Australia

1. sayani_mukherjee
    sayani_mukherjee

I’ve once given PTE test and results are not brilliant. I’ve got 70 in average and scores are listening: 63/ Reading: 77/Speaking:71/ writing: 69.
    I am applying for Australia PR so definitely I would need 79+ scores in every section and I’m attempting for next exam Wednesday. I’m already preparing from ptegurus and pte academic website for the same but how else tips I should be using to get through 79 in all section. Please suggest, I definitely need your advise for improvement.

2. Saby_H
    Saby_H

this is awesome, thanks for the tips!

3. Khawaja_Al_Hassan
    Khawaja_Al_Hassan

Hello Anil, Can you kindly send me the material for preparation PTE as i am new one and wants to start preparation

1. Pawan Gupta
    Pawan Gupta 23 Feb, 19 at 9:25 pm

Hi Anil, none of the media (imagevideo etc) seems to be available anymore and comes up as a blank space in the middle of the page. Can you please check or provide external links to the media you referenced here? I’ve tried multiple browser and the page stays the same so it’s not a browser issue. Thanks.

Somehow the video links were deleted. Not sure how. We have fixed the issue and you should be able to see them now.
      It is possible that you don’t them immediately due to page caching. Till that time, you can use the Google’s cached Page here for above article.

• Pawan Gupta
        Pawan Gupta 28 Feb, 19 at 2:03 am

Thanks Anil, I found the E2 PTE youtube channel, following the videos there.

Great. Do share your PTE result once you are done.
          Let me know if you need more information.

2. pin
    pin 21 Feb, 19 at 9:24 pm

regarding PTE preparation,do i need to subscribe to their paid courses? or watching videos on youtube is sufficient?

It depends on your own comfortable level with English as a language. As per my opinion, free youtube videos are more than enough along with the notes and tricks shared above.

• pin
        pin 22 Feb, 19 at 1:32 am

Thanks Anil. also do we need to present experience letter in some specific format for ACS?

Yes, specific format is important for ACS assessment. You can see the sample work letter for ACS here.

• pin
            pin 22 Feb, 19 at 11:41 pm

For ACS documentation purposes , do I need to attach all the results or only degree certificate and experience letters would do ?

Check Documents for ACS Assessment

• pin
                pin 23 Feb, 19 at 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing Anil. Do I need to attach all my secondary and higher secondary marksheets too?

Only Tertiary education degree and mark sheets are required.
                  Tertiary means the education that is relevant and related to your work experience.
                  10th and 12th degree and mark sheets are not required.

• pin
                    pin 24 Feb, 19 at 6:20 am

Thanks a lot Anil. It’s of great help.
                    I’ve a few more queries :

1. How will my experience be calculated? I have a total of 9.5 years of experience in IT and education would be IT major Will it be 7.5 years that they would consider and award points accordingly or I would be getting 15 points as for 8-10 years category it’s 15.

2. My spouse will also get her skills assessed and would appear for English exam and if she clears it with competent English mark, is <45 years of age so will I get the additional 5 points? Is it ok if our ANZSCO codes are different but In IT sector only?

3.According to points shown on your website , system analyst(261112) 75 pro rata and ICT support engineer(263212) 70 ? Is this the minimum point requirement or it’s 65 only to apply for both of these ?also could you confirm if minimum points required would differ based on which code we select ?
                    4. Is it okay to mention exact same roles and responsibilities in all employment references (for my case it would be 6.) . Is it a good idea to have the same description of roles and responsibilities as given on ACS website ?

I have explained how ACS will calculate your IT work experience and how many years will be deducted here. Please go through it.

Spouse ANZSCO code should be in the same occupation list as yours. ANZSCO code can be different.

Minimum points requirement to apply Australia PR and file EOI is 65.
                      The points shown on our website for each ANZSCO code are needed to realistically receive an invite.
                      Points requirement varies by each ANZSCO code.
                      Most of the job codes do NOT receive invite with 65 points due to high demand.

Do not copy paste. Write what you have really performed and done in you job. ACS sends documents back to employer too if they have any suspicion. So, be careful.

• pin
                      pin 24 Feb, 19 at 11:31 am

Thanks Anil for the detailed explanation. I asked that question as I was not sure if it would be analysed correctly if they see a different desc than their website (even though my profile is for the same role) it might lead them to confusion .
                      So when they say roles and responsibilities should match 65 % to what they have mentioned on ACS website , do they really see point by point ? Like let’s say if they have mentioned 10 points atleast 6-7 should be there in my reference letter ? Is my understanding correct ?

They match your roles and responsibilities with the job requirements for the ANZSCO code that you have chosen.

For example, if you have chosen job code for software engineer but your half work experience is in IT project management, then your IT project manager work experience will NOT be counted as relevant.

So, its important what you write in the skill letter.

• pin
                      pin 25 Feb, 19 at 7:23 pm

Thanks !!
                      Let’s say if I have a gap of 4 months while switching to another job , would that be counted in my work experience?

Gap periods are NOT counted. Even a week’s gap will be removed from total work experience.

3. Sugi
    Sugi 17 Feb, 19 at 12:10 pm

I was practicing a test without preparing for words and synonyms and I found new words for fill in the blanks, which I don’t know the meanings. Could you please give me tips in this aspect. Thanks!

Your question is open ended meaning that it needs more information for me to answer to the point.

• Sugi
        Sugi 17 Feb, 19 at 4:54 pm

My question is, how to prepare for words and synonyms before the test?

You can use the E2 learning’s free video tutorials. They have very good collection.

4. Ridhi
    Ridhi 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

I appeared for IELTS n got 7 in each which is fine to apply for Austrailia but i want to improve my points so planning to take PTE about which i have no knowledge. can u tell me the difficulty level of PTE as i need 79+ in each module.

5. RAKESH VEMULA
    RAKESH VEMULA 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Is Toefl easier compared to PTE? Please share your knowledge on this..

• Bestinvk
      Bestinvk 9 Feb, 19 at 10:27 am

Dear Mr. Rakesh,

PTE Academic is the excellent option based on my experience. I had gone through IELTS, TOEFL ibt and PTE Academeic. You can trust 100% this blogger Mr. Anil.

I have not taken Toefl test before so cannot really comment.
      But, I have personally appeared for IELTS twice and PTE once. I found PTE more logical, sensible and easier if you can converse in English in your day to day life.

If your purpose to give English for Australia Immigration, i strongly recommend to give PTE.

6. pranabesh ghosh
    pranabesh ghosh 28 Jan, 19 at 8:52 pm

I was trying to get some mock test link , could you please share scored mock test .

Pranab

Sorry, I do not have any mock test links.

• Bestin
      Bestin 12 Feb, 19 at 3:49 pm

You can do the mock test that evaluated in the same algorithm used in PTE Academic test, through the following link. You have to purchase it. The result will generate with in couple of minutes after your mock test . I have done it and the result was almost same with my real PTE score.

7. Sneha Shankar
    Sneha Shankar 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

hello,
    I have recently applied for ACS skill assessment(Aus PR). I have completed my engineering in Telecommunication but have 7yrs experience in IT i.e development field. AS per ACS they deduct 2yrs from total experience. But wondering what in my case since my branch and my experience are not related to each other.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

If your education does not match with your work experience, they will deduct 4 years.

• Sneha Shankar
        Sneha Shankar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

oh ok.. Thank you for the info. I’m aiming to score 79+in PTE to get more points. Any suggestions/tips plz ?

If you follow the notes mentioned above, you should be able to get 79+ easily.

• Sneha Shankar
            Sneha Shankar 9 Feb, 19 at 10:13 am

Ok. I will be giving my exam in few days. I will surely update you on this. Thank you.

Sure. All the best.

• Sneha Shankar
                Sneha Shankar 10 Feb, 19 at 12:27 pm

I got just 58 in MOCK :-(. Very disappointing…

Where did you attempt this mock test?

• Sneha Shankar
                    Sneha Shankar 11 Feb, 19 at 1:51 pm

Bangalore.

I mean which company had given you this test? Did you pay for it?

• Sneha Shankar
                      Sneha Shankar 12 Feb, 19 at 3:52 pm

yeah. i’m not sure if i should mention the company name.. yes its paid.

8. Ndt
    Ndt 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Thanks for your posting.I do not see the best approach for fill in the blanks in your postings.How difficult they are in real exam ? Is Oxford and Cambridge natural language collocations going to help ? Also please share your thoughts/best source for answer short questions.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:05 am

There is probably no fixed method to solve fill in the blanks and I feel they are easy to fill.

I had used free E2 language videos for all my preparations.

• Ndt
        Ndt 9 Feb, 19 at 10:03 am

Thanks for prompt reply.What about answer short questions ? Any suggestions please.

• Ndt
          Ndt 9 Feb, 19 at 10:13 am

Sorry, I see you already mentioned that you followed E2 language videos for all your preparations.

9. Prasanna
    Prasanna 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

Thanks for this Post. I can tell you that it simplified my approach to PTE-A preparation and introduced me to Jay’s excellent e2language PTE-A preparation videos.

I got the desired marks. I encourage anyone giving PTE to pay and take mock exams as it is vital in preparing oneself for the real exam.

Best wishes

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

You are welcome and congratulations on getting the desired result.

• Harry
      Harry 5 Feb, 19 at 2:36 pm

Hi Prasanna, where can we purchase only mock tests?

10. Harsh
    Harsh 14 Jan, 19 at 9:47 am

I gave PTE twice but got exactly same score of 60 in speaking- overall score of 70 but speaking stuck at 60. Can you please guide what exactly can I do for speaking section before I plan for the test again.

Anil Gupta 14 Jan, 19 at 10:04 am

Its difficult to find the problem area without knowing the details.
      You can opt for E2learning’s guided course to see where you are making mistakes.

• Harsh
        Harsh 9 Feb, 19 at 10:02 am

Ok- would I be able to opt for guided learning course, what is the duration and fee structure like- am unable to search it on website?

• Harsh
          Harsh 9 Feb, 19 at 10:12 am

I mean am in US- so any PST timings as well?

E2 Learning (https://www.e2language.com/) is a separate company and is not affiliated with am22tech in any way.
            I have just shared their content and reference as I reviewed it and found it really good.

You should go to E2Learning Australia’s website and buy or find content that you want to use.
            Let me know if you need more information.