You can file form i539 online for faster processing for your H4 extension if you are filing alone and without the help of an attorney at this time.
Example: If you have an H4 kid who can normally be added to your H4 extension i539 form, then you cannot file the H4 extension online.
Documents Required for H4 Extension
- Form i539 and Form i539A
- H4 Visa Stamps in Passport (If Any) – Color Copy
- H1B Primary i797A approval Copy – required only if filing H4 extension separately from H1B extension.
- Most Recent I94
- Most Recent Entry to US Immigration Stamp – Check US immigration stamp in your Passport.
- Current and OLD Passport Biometric Page
- Passport page with Photo and address. Passport should be valid for at-least next 3 months.
- All OLD Passports Biometric page are required.
If you are filing H4 visa stamp outside USA, then you need to fill form DS-160 and NOT i539. The documents required for H4 Visa stamping in US embassy are given here.
i539 Frequently Asked Questions
Currently, you can file I-539 online only if you are filing for yourself and want to extend your B-1, B-2, F-1, F-2, H-4, M-1, or M-2 status.
If you need to change your status like changing from H1B to H4, you need to file a paper form.
If you have any other status or are filing with additional applicants like your kid or spouse, you must file a paper Form I-539.
The paper i539 and online i539 are same and have same fees.
i539 fees per form is $370. You also need to pay $85 per person for yourself and each additional person included on form i539A.
You can pay your i539 filing fee online if you are eligible to file i539 form online. If you are filing paper i539, then you can pay by check, money order or credit card.
USCIS does not refund fees, regardless of the final result of approval or denial.
Yes, USCIS will send the paper receipt notice for your i539 filed online by USPS mail.
You will also receive the paper approval notice (i797) with new i94 by USPS mail.
Yes, you do save time by filing i539 online. The total processing time will reduce by couple of days that are consumed by mailing and then entering your data in USCIS systems.
Yes, you will receive your Biometrics appointment notice online.
You will need to update your contact information online too if it changes.
You will get Requests for Evidence (RFE) details online in your USCIS account. You can respond to RFE online too.
Sample Form i-539 for H4 Extension
Use the sample i539 form to fill your form when filing H4 extension from within USA. This same form can be used to fill your H4 extension online on USCIS website.
Form i539 Part 1:
- Please fill the H4 US residence address Question 4 and 5 to make sure the H4 Biometric Appointment letter is sent to H4’s address.
- We have seen that many attorney’s fill their own office address here and then USCIS schedules an appointment closer to Attorney Office instead of H4’s physical address. Many people have reported that they got the biometric metric appointment in New Jersey when the H1B is working in Dallas, TX simply because the Attorney who filed the form i539 used his NJ address.
- A number in Q 2: Alien number is written on H4 EAD card if you have ever got one. If not, then you can leave this field blank.
- SSN number in Q 9: If you have never applied for H4 EAD or SSN before, then chances are high that you do not have SSN. You can leave it blank.
- Passport number in Q 12: The passport number attached to your current active i94. If you entered US using your old passport and now have a renewed passport, you should write OLD passport number here.
- Passport number in Q 14a and b: Your current active and valid passport. If you entered US using your old passport and now have a renewed passport, you should write current passport number here.
Form i539 Part 2:
- i539 form Q5a = Select this box if you are filing H4 application for yourself and more dependents like your kids.
- i539 form Q5b = Enter total number of H4 dependents.
Example: If you are a wife of H1B, and you have 2 kid, then you should select Q5a and write ‘2’ in 5b.
If you do not have any kid, then do not select 5a and leave 5b empty. You should select Q4 in this case.
Form i539, Page 3, Part 4:
On page 3 of form i539, Q 14 answer
- Select Yes, if you already have H4EAD and have been working actively using your work authorization.
- If you have H4 EAD and not working, select ‘No‘.
- If you do not have H4-EAD at all, then select ‘No‘.
Form i539 page 5 can be left blank if you are filing it yourself. If your attorney is filing it, then fill Attorney information on page 5.
Page 6 is also for attorney only. You can leave blank if you are not using one.
Form i539 Page 7, Part 8, Question 1 to 3
You have to fill H4’s employment information if H4 has been working and have selected ‘Yes‘ on page 3, Q 14.
H4 Employment information:
- Employer Name
- Job title/Designation
- Employer full address
- Weekly Income (Before Tax) in USD
- Dates of Employment – Write start date to finish date.
Sample Form i-539A for H4 Extension
Form i539A – Page 4 can be left blank if there is no additional information to share.
Form i539 Fees with Biometric
Fees per i539 form is $370. You also need to pay $85 per person for yourself and each additional person included on form i539A.
|i539 Fees with Biometric||Form Required|
|One H4 Adult + one H4 Kid under 21||$370 + $85 + $85 = $540||i539 (Adult), i539A (Kid)|
|One H4 Adult + two H4 Kids under 21||$370 + $85 + $85 + $85 = $625||i539 (Adult), two i539A (Kid)|
|One Adult filing B1/B2 extension||$370 + $85 = $455||i539 (Adult)|
|Husband & Wife filing B1/B2 extension||$370 + $85 + $85 = $540||i539 (Husband), i539A (Wife)|
H4 i539 USCIS Address
Use these USCIS address to send both H-4 and H4 EAD application if filing separately from the H1B.
Send your H4 and H4EAD application to USCIS Dallas Lockbox Facility if the receipt number of your H-1B principal spouse’s most recent Form I-797 Notice of Approval for Form I-129 begins with EAC or LIN.
USCIS Dallas Lockbox Facility
If sending by U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
PO Box 660921
Dallas, TX 75266
For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
File with the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox Facility if the receipt number of your H-1B principal spouse’s most recent Form I-797 Notice of Approval for Form I-129 begins with WAC.
USCIS Phoenix Lockbox Facility
If sending by U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
P.O. Box 20400
Phoenix, AZ 85036
If sending by FedEx, UPS or DHL :
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Phoenix, AZ 85034