Documents for H4 Visa Stamping Interview, DropBox
- DS 160 form – No need to carry full copy of DS160. Just fill online and carry the DS160 confirmation page copy.
- US embassy Visa interview appointment confirmation.
- H1B primary Form i797A or B (H1B approval notice) – Original is best. If not possible, then carry color copy of i797 approval. i797C is not a valid proof of approval.
I recommend to carry all documents in a clear plastic document bag as other things are not allowed inside US embassy.
Optional Documents to Carry for H4 Visa Interview
These documents are NOT required to be submitted but recommended to carry in your H4 visa interview. You may be asked by visa officer to show them.
#1 Carry all passports including old and expired.
#2 H1B primary spouse documents
- Form i797A or B (H1B approval notice) – Original is best. If not possible, then carry color copy of i797 approval. i797C is not a valid proof of approval.
- Form i129 (H1B application) copy – Carry color or Black and white copy of i-129.
- H1B LCA copy – Carry color or Black and white copy of LCA posting.
- Passport copy – Carry color or Black and white copy of first 2 (with photo) and last 5 pages (address details) of passport.
- Employment verification letter – Original – H1B can get it from employer.
- Last 3 months Pay stubs/ Salary slips – Color or black and white copy.
- Last 3 year W2 (if any) – Color or black and white copy.
#3 Marriage Certificate (Original)
#4 Wedding Invitation Card
Optional, but recommended. Card from both sides, if available, in original.
#5 Wedding Color Photo Album
Optional, but highly recommended to carry to prove that real marriage took place.
#6 Birth Certificate
In Original if H4 applicant is less than 14 years old.
H4 Visa stamping Interview Questions
Special Deal Tip: You can create Amazon Wedding Registry and both bride and groom can get 20% discount.
The visa interview will be smooth and you may be asked details about
- H1B primary’s job profile.
- H1B employer details for verification.
- City and county where you live.
- If you are working on H4 or have ever worked. Carry your H4 EAD card if you have had any in past.
- Read whatever you have written in your DS160 form as visa officer can ask questions to verify.
Chances of H4 visa stamp approval are very good.
There are no issues with H4 visa stamping if your relationship with H1B primary can be proved without doubt.
You may be eligible for H4 Stamping dropbox based on the country and US embassy you are applying at.
You can check if you are eligible for Dropbox Facility using our app here.
There is no compulsion to change last name after marriage for H4 visa interview. It is your choice.
But, if you have changed your last name after marriage, we recommend to change name in your passport too.
If you decide to carry on with your maiden name after marriage, your H4 visa will be stamped with your maiden name. This is fine and has no issues.
US visa officers have started asking about your marriage ceremony in H4 visa interview to check if full wedding has been conducted or not.
You should be very careful as U.S. Consulates consider partial marriage ceremony as fraud, misrepresentation and a serious offence of alien smuggling. This can result in permanent ban to enter US.
You can fill DS160 before your marriage to get an interview appointment but make sure that you use the real marriage date.
You can select a local language like Marathi, Punjabi, Hindi etc for your H4 dependent spouse if they are not good in speaking and understanding English.
Note: If you are taking a family appointment to have both H1B and H4 appear for interview at same time, we strongly recommend to select English as the interview language.
H4 Visa Form 221g
H4 Visa interview can go wrong if you are not prepared. Visa officer can issue a form 221g and you may have to wait before a visa can be issued.
These situations can trigger form 221g denial:
- Primary H1B Visa is pending – form 221g case.
- Primary H1B interview is scheduled separately after H4 visa interview.
- H1B amendment is pending in USA.
- H1B Transfer is pending in USA and primary H1B has joined the new employer.
- Marriage Certificate registered but real traditional marriage ceremony happened on other date which does not match certificate date.
- F1 status violations before H4.
USA Work in USA - H1B, L Visa